• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(US) PSN just sent me $10 US PSN credit in my inbox

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I got one on the 20th already. Redeemed it today.

I had 45 dollars in my wallet when I received it.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Erm, so has the mystery been solved yet? I want $10 too :-(

There's no mistery, Sony fucking used a random number generator to decide who got a 10 dollar code. It's the only way to explain why loyal customers of many years got shit, maybe they weren't enough codes for everybody so somebody had to get screwed.

RPGCrazied

That's sad that is so random, nor will Sony will clarify how or what you need to have done to get this gift.

So some loyal customers are getting nothing? How fair that?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I got one... not sure how they decide who does, but I spend a metric fuckton of money on PSN.

P90

Nothing for me. Vita owner. PS+ subscriber. Spent a few hundred dollars on PSN media/games over the last few months. Nothing. Maybe if I stop cheer leading for the Vita then Sony will send me something. <grumble grumble>.

SiDCrAzY

Didn't get one :(

Vita and PS3 owner. Plus subscriber. Worship Kaz.

I'm not buying a PS4 because of this shit.
No not really, I'll be there day one.

Yuripaw

Banned
That's sad that is so random, nor will Sony will clarify how or what you need to have done to get this gift.

So some loyal customers are getting nothing? How fair that?

This is basically how I feel on this subject. I find it extremely lame that something like this seems to have happened at completely random, and people who have spent hundreds on the PSN store, and have been a part of the network for years just get nothing. If it's a part of purchasing something specific in the past, tell them that's what it is. Otherwise, it just seems like loyal customers are being shafted.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Did GraveRobber buy a lot of games on his primary account?

Yes, and because of some glitch he's having trouble with his download history/DRM rights and Sony is jerking him around.

SykoTech

Well....this is embarrassing. Turns out I did get it after all. My brother just didn't Sign In when I asked him to check for me, so he didn't see any new mail. I got it on the 20th too, the day of the conference. Thank you based Sony, superior service, etc.

Registered PS3 owner since 2009.

Somewhat frequent Store customer. Last purchases were the Street Fighter x Tekken DLC characters ($15) and the Heavenly Sword/WipEout stage for PS All-Stars ($2). Both bought earlier this month.

Not a Plus member. Never have been.

Not a Vita owner.

Didn't sign up for "Be the First too Know" or anything.

So...yeah.

Also, anyone who has bought Jet Set Radio, the credit would be well spent on that.

HardRojo

I got one too, I've bought lots of retail games last year and played most of them, I also downloaded some stuff from PSN such as KoF XIII DLC, Sonic Adventure and... I don't know what else, I'm not a plus member nor a Vita owner, guess they liked the fact that I bought and played plenty of first party games last year (and I haven't bought PS All Stars yet)

Ban Puncher

Something de-listed from the store and Sony is giving affected accounts a refund perhaps?

Or sending out coupon codes to members who lodged repair orders or complaints to customer service over the past year?

maybe its done by exclusives, look at trophies and see how many first party games you have and when you started it?

Or if you bought alot of online passes thus assuming you bought used to much?

I can understand why they wouldnt want people to know the method though

I can understand why they wouldnt want people to know the method though

Two of my friends who live less than five minutes away from me got them. One plays his PS3 almost exclusively; the other rarely turns his on. So I don't think it's related to what you play or how much you play or how much you buy off the store.

I'm not upset, that'd be dumb, it's ten dollars. I'm just curious.

Sony's loss* in my case. I would have added extra money to buy Tokyo Jungle and probably would have bought DLC for it, since I would have saved $10 (if it doesn't unlock from playing the game, I don't actually know). Now I'm buying nothing.

*Not playing Tokyo Jungle may be my loss.

vg260

Got one too the other day. Spent a fair amount on digital stuff over the years.

iTcxVyj.jpg

This is a ridiculous comparison. There apparently was some criteria for this, and it's has a specific promotional purpose. Do you seriously expect Microsoft to give out $5 or $10 or even $1 on your birthday? Do you know how many gold customers have birthdays? Every single one. Every customer of every company has a birthday. A company is not going to just give out millions of dollars every years just because you exist. How many companies give you free stuff on your birthday? Probably not many, maybe a discount, but that's to get you to spend something. Giving free stuff to essentially every single customer is not a trivial thing. I know people like to feel special on their birthday, but come on think about the scale here. They're potentially giving every single customer credit. That's potentially millions of dollars. People's expectations are just way beyond common sense sometimes.

So since I can see my wallet balance online and there isn't any new money, does that mean I didn't get it? Or would I have to click something in the message before my wallet is changed?

Nope, doesnt mean that at all. It comes in the form of a link to the store in a message. You click on the link and it opens the store for you and asks you if you want to add 10 dollars to your account.

Finally spent mine tonight on inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood. Put off getting that for far too long.

Really short, but also really fun. Love the vibe of it.

KalBalboa

Banned
This is a ridiculous comparison. There apparently was some criteria for this, and it's has a specific promotional purpose. Do you seriously expect Microsoft to give out $5 or $10 or even $1 on your birthday? Do you know how many gold customers have birthdays? Every single one. Every customer of every company has a birthday. A company is not going to just give out millions of dollars every years just because you exist. How many companies give you free stuff on your birthday? Probably not many, maybe a discount, but that's to get you to spend something. Giving free stuff to essentially every single customer is not a trivial thing. I know people like to feel special on their birthday, but come on think about the scale here. They're potentially giving every single customer credit. That's potentially millions of dollars. People's expectations are just way beyond common sense sometimes.

It might seem ridiculous, but this isn't the first time Sony has sent me free PSN money.

Does Live, the pay service, ever really do such things on a wide scale?

eznark

Banned
I got the $10 credit. The next day I was charged for the Music Unlimited subscription I had signed up for via Plus. God damn it.

It might seem ridiculous, but this isn't the first time Sony has sent me free PSN money.

You can get XBL rewards every month. But you usually have to spend to get it. Nothing comes close to matching Bing Rewards if you're in the US. I'm sitting on 500+ of MSP thanks to those. Couple seconds of clicking each night is all it requires. I've stopped getting MSP and just put it all towards Amazon credit.

Got it on my "new account" created 15 months ago. Have both my PS3 and PSVita linked to it but havent spent more than 50 bucks on psn. Didnt get it on my original account dating back to 2007 where i purchased a ton of games. Ive regularly use both accounts since i have 2 PS3s. Wonder what kind of method they used to pick members out.

vg260

Well, I did just remember that you do need to sign up for rewards and meet the gamerscore criteria for the 20 birthday points, but the gamerscore is not that high, so it still could be millions of dollars worth of credit given out to anyone who meets that and has a birthday. The amount they're giving away in total could be nothing to sneeze at when you consider all of the potential recipients. When you're talking millions of potential giveaways, the difference between $0.25 and $0.50 is not a trivial one.

I have no idea the total of number of people they're sending this out to, but I doubt it's on the scale of potential gamers eligible for MS's 20 birthday points.

You can get XBL rewards every month. But you usually have to spend to get it. Nothing comes close to matching Bing Rewards if you're in the US. I'm sitting on 500+ of MSP thanks to those. Couple seconds of clicking each night is all it requires. I've stopped getting MSP and just put it all towards Amazon credit.

Yikes. What do you have to do to rack up that much? I've used it before, but it's almost not worth the hassle.

Nazgul11

I checked my inbox yesterday and sure enough a code was there waiting for me. Pretty cool.

Did we ever figure out why some people got this and some didn't?

Nazgul11

If there was a criteria for it, my chances were stacked...

I have a PS3, PSP and Vita all associated with my PSN account.
I have PS+.
I had existing funds in my PSN wallet. (like a dollar something)

Fusebox

Banned
I've been tracking this thread a bit and the criteria seems to be that you have to have spent a decent amount of money on PSN. I haven't seen anyone get the $10 who has never bought anything on PSN.

But then if shagg didn't get it...

My meagre $10 or so worth of purchase didn't qualify me fwiw.

Tenrius

I've been tracking this thread a bit and the criteria seems to be that you have to have spent a decent amount of money on PSN. I haven't seen anyone get the $10 who has never bought anything on PSN.

But then if shagg didn't get it...

My meagre $10 or so worth of purchase didn't qualify me fwiw.

I spent $60 total on that account and got $5.

Yikes. What do you have to do to rack up that much? I've used it before, but it's almost not worth the hassle.

Multiple accounts. They sometimes change the number of points you can earn per account, but right now I have 3 that generate 31 a day, and 3 that earn 16. That equates to roughly 45-50 dollars a month in Amazon credit.

Ricker

People are still getting them today or are those people that hadn't logged on for a while? ...I still got nothing and I have been on PSN since the start...

Tenrius

I'm thinking $50-100 spent gets you $5 and over $100 gets you $10 but then shagg got nothing so there goes that theory lol.

Maybe there's a third tier, it seems a lot of long time customers didn't get anything. Gets less likely with every passing day though.

Top Bottom