• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dock said:
Really? That's certainly a shame, and it's not true. I'm trying to open up the topic for discussion, I'm not just saying that it's a bad thing. I find it more fascinating than negative.

I'm sorry if my position as a developer precludes my involvement in this sort of discussion.

My own relationship with viral marketing and publicity initiatives is something I'm trying to get a stronger feel for, and generally recognising the breadth of opportunity within alternative marketing. However, from some of my experiences and those from others, I'm curious to the point at which it becomes a bit too much.

For example, I find it a bit much that I haven't been able to shop at Amazon for the last few months without the kindle advert being in front of me all the time. I also find leveraging charity to be an incredibly positive but also slightly curious way of driving products forward.

I apologise if I sound as I though I'm raining on anyone's parade. Your response shows that you're thoroughly happy to enjoy valve's drive, especially when participation is relatively inexpensive and it's a brand you're keen on.
My participation cost me nothing, I already supported these Indie devs. This new content for their games for free is just icing on a cake.

syoaran said:
You dont need to own every game. Audiosurf is easy, just download the Icy Murderous I.mp3 from one of the hundreds of mirrors out there, play it in game and win the gold medal, then put the password in when it asks (the one it shows on the wiki), then you'll get a complete message. After its processed, check your community page and you should have it. Just did it about 5mins ago, only own Audiosurf and Super Meat Boy out of those games.

Thanks!

dock said:
Really? That's certainly a shame, and it's not true. I'm trying to open up the topic for discussion, I'm not just saying that it's a bad thing. I find it more fascinating than negative.

I'm sorry if my position as a developer precludes my involvement in this sort of discussion.

My own relationship with viral marketing and publicity initiatives is something I'm trying to get a stronger feel for, and generally recognising the breadth of opportunity within alternative marketing. However, from some of my experiences and those from others, I'm curious to the point at which it becomes a bit too much.

For example, I find it a bit much that I haven't been able to shop at Amazon for the last few months without the kindle advert being in front of me all the time. I also find leveraging charity to be an incredibly positive but also slightly curious way of driving products forward.

I apologise if I sound as I though I'm raining on anyone's parade. Your response shows that you're thoroughly happy to enjoy valve's drive, especially when participation is relatively inexpensive and it's a brand you're keen on.

Read this in GlaDOS's voice for extra enjoyment.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Wow. If you want to find out more about Portal 2, go view the files on your computer from the pre-load. Some of the filenames, especially those in the scripts folder... my god. I am mega hyped right now.

(I won't post any of the names here in spoiler boxes, because people don't want to see them might accidentally see them. I haven't seen any plot spoilers, but what I found seems to be gameplay spoilers.)

Zomba13

Got the other Killing floor audio file and another potato (3 from KF so far, 1 potato gun login and 2 audio transmissions, one from a computer 'use me' in the aperture map and one from the manolantern from bedlam)
The aperture audio file seems to be 'Pink is imported by Marvin Oliver'

MasterShotgun said:
Wow. If you want to find out more about Portal 2, go view the files on your computer from the pre-load. Some of the filenames, especially those in the scripts folder... my god. I am mega hyped right now.

(I won't post any of the names here in spoiler boxes, because people don't want to see them might accidentally see them. I haven't seen any plot spoilers, but what I found seems to be gameplay spoilers.)

Could you please post them spoilered for those of us who aren't getting it on Steam? My laptop barely ran Portal 1 so I pre-ordered the 360 version.. this is all very intriguing though.

StuBurns

Banned
I just watched the trailer for the Ball Portal content, it looks incredible.

I wonder if Valve are paying developers to include this stuff out of their marketing budget. It's funny they decided to handle marketing in-house for the first time and it's by far the most compelling marketing campaign I've ever seen.

Blizzard

Banned
I like how right clicking Portal 2 and choosing view preload info apparently does absolutely nothing for me, but double-clicking brought up the preload dialog. >_> I was about to panic thinking I'd been potato'd by Valve or something.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
I just watched the trailer for the Ball Portal content, it looks incredible.

I wonder if Valve are paying developers to include this stuff out of their marketing budget. It's funny they decided to handle marketing in-house for the first time and it's by far the most compelling marketing campaign I've ever seen.

Yeah it has been pretty incredible. And instead of paying for marketing and only making money back on the sales of the game they are advertising, they are making money of the sales of Portal 2, and $13 off of every potato sack sale. Pretty genius.

Zomba13

Toki Tori voice message from <TEST> Bonus level 6 (once you get the real level) is 'Sugar Sugar is the traditional song of field number two.'

Joe Molotov

sw33tclyde said:
Could you please post them spoilered for those of us who aren't getting it on Steam? My laptop barely ran Portal 1 so I pre-ordered the 360 version.. this is all very intriguing though.

episode_3.exe[/spioler]

I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Bought the Potato Pack and am still downloading a lot of them as well as Portal 2 and the Humble Bundle #3.

I have one for Toki Tori and two for BIT.TRIP BEAT.

Could you tell me what were the hardest potatoes to get and what were the easiest?

WillyFive

I like how the ARG functions as a boost in sales for other games as well.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
If you have the Speed Racer OST by Michael Giacchino, play Casa Cristo and Reboot. Its like fucking F-Zero with music!

Unrelated (I don't have Audiosurf), but I have been addicted to those two songs for the past couple of weeks.

Salsa

Mister_Bubbles said:
*Facepalm*, lol.

Ah well, 'bout time that particular hype train got some coal in its burner, eh?

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Shaneus

I might be a bit behind the times on this (I haven't been reading this thread) but is it possible that the potatoes could be referring to "couch" potatoes ie. big screen/Comfy Couch mode? Perhaps it's already been established that it's Ep. 3/Portal 2, but maybe not.

Please don't hurt me.

Twig

Banned
SalsaShark said:
The Defense Grid one is BEYOND fuckin hard.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I can seriously see that I've lost like three moves into each game. I think I part of see what the computer's doing to me, but I can't trap the computer.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
sw33tclyde said:
Eh, what the hell. I think I've found some plot spoilers, so I won't include those. But I'll post the gameplay ones I've found.

GAMEPLAY SPOILERS FROM PORTAL 2 FILENAMES. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
sp_paint_stick_intro (Yes! Definitely the third paint type from Tag. paint_jump and paint_speed must be the two we've already seen.)
game_sounds_weapons_paintgun (I hoping it's something we can use. Would make sense with the Tag developers on board.)
npc_sounds_android (Don't know if it will be an enemy.)
npc_sounds_zombie_aperture (New enemy)
weapon_alyxgun (o_O I don't know to say about that. It could mean anything, but it can only be good.)

There was a folder called "vehicles". However, the files inside didn't really give any clue as to what extent a vehicle might be involved.

There are likely 6 chapters. So we might be looking at something the length of Episodes 1 and 2. Very nice.

Lastly, I found nothing indicating HL3/EP3. But I'm sure Valve wouldn't have let something like that slip by.
Again, this is all speculation on my part based on some filenames. I encourage others to check theirs out and see if anything catches their eyes that I might have missed or just not figures out.

I hate you all. I was doing so good this year. Only bought Portal 2 and because of you I just bought the Ball and the 1 2 3 game. I am downloading 12 games right now. All that I want is that banner. I am going to be sad if its only temporary :(

Twig

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I hate you all. I was doing so good this year. Only bought Portal 2 and because of you I just bought the Ball and the 1 2 3 game. I am downloading 12 games right now. All that I want is that banner. I am going to be sad if its only temporary :(
Of all the reasons to buy the games, you choose that.

Yes, it's going to be temporary.

MasterShotgun said:
Eh, what the hell. I think I've found some plot spoilers, so I won't include those. But I'll post the gameplay ones I've found.

GAMEPLAY SPOILERS FROM PORTAL 2 FILENAMES. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
sp_paint_stick_intro (Yes! Definitely the third paint type from Tag. paint_jump and paint_speed must be the two we've already seen.)
game_sounds_weapons_paintgun (I hoping it's something we can use. Would make sense with the Tag developers on board.)
npc_sounds_android (Don't know if it will be an enemy.)
npc_sounds_zombie_aperture (New enemy)
weapon_alyxgun (o_O I don't know to say about that. It could mean anything, but it can only be good.)

There was a folder called "vehicles". However, the files inside didn't really give any clue as to what extent a vehicle might be involved.

There are likely 6 chapters. So we might be looking at something the length of Episodes 1 and 2. Very nice.

Lastly, I found nothing indicating HL3/EP3. But I'm sure Valve wouldn't have let something like that slip by.
Again, this is all speculation on my part based on some filenames. I encourage others to check theirs out and see if anything catches their eyes that I might have missed or just not figures out.
WHY DO I READ SPOILERS?!

Be warned people!

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
ashbash159 said:
WHY DO I READ SPOILERS?!

Be warned people!

I wasn't kidding about the spoilers. But are you hyped even more now?

EmCeeGramr said:
I don't know if I would take all those files seriously. Sometimes stuff from other projects get into Valve games.

Given that were plenty of files that were had similar names, I'm pretty sure they're the real deal. Again, it's hard to tell exactly what they mean. But they indicate that something of the sort is most likely in the game.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Stallion Free said:
It seems like a bitch at first, but it's not as bad as it seems.

Yeah, I figured it out.

Now I just need to beat it again when the ARG people figure out what on earth the
password at the end of the whole thing
is.

classicdms

Neo Member
MasterShotgun said:
I wasn't kidding about the spoilers. But are you hyped even more now?

Given that were plenty of files that were had similar names, I'm pretty sure they're the real deal. Again, it's hard to tell exactly what they mean. But they indicate that something of the sort is most likely in the game.
Stop talking. Stop talking now. I haven't read the spoilers but your non spoilered conversation is getting my mind wandering. So please . . . .

STOP TALKING. STOP TALKING NOW.

Top Bottom