• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Adam J.

In regards to the shotgun, it's use is pretty much mandatory if you want to survive the challenge demo (you get rushed down fast) but whatever. I'm through defending this game until I've actually played the full retail version.

RSB

Banned
Amir0x said:
DERP

anybody can beat even 10 hour average campaigns in under 2 hours after memorizing layouts and shit

the only fucking relevant point is if it's four hours or less ON THE FIRST TIME THROUGH

otherwise if you're doing that on a second or third playthrough, guess what, you already automatically sunk in more hours than that.

I'm not even sure how you thought your point was relevant otherwise.
You know, I don't even know how long did it take me to beat the game the first time. Mostly because I didn't play the game in a linear fashion, I replayed most of the levels a few times before finishing the Campaign (I did the same thing with Bayonetta too)

What I was trying to say is that Mirror's Edge has a short Campaign (I'd say about 3 hours without rushing too much, at least for me) and that doesn't stop it from being a masterpiece. That's it, and stop overreacting please.

Team Klimt said:
Sadly, you are not the general public. Most people who drop $60 for a four hour game will be pissed off. (No way you could play through that game on your first go in 3 hours either. No way)
As I said, I didn't mention anything about a first playthrough (read above) And thanks for the compliment BTW :)

Amir0x said:
Ok, let me try to explain why the point you were making made zero sense.
It makes sense, you just don't get it. Not my problem.

Bye ;)

RSB said:
Mirror's Edge Campaign is 3 hours long, and it is still one of the best games of this generation. Between the speedruns and the Time Attack levels I've played more than 100 hours of Mirror's Edge, and I've happily spent over 90 euros for it (I have both the 360 and PS3 versions, plus the DLC) The same happened with Bayonetta, short campaign, insane replayability. So yeah, the length of the Campaign doesn't mean that much, really (well, to me, at least)

Bye ;)

Sadly, you are not the general public. Most people who drop $60 for a four hour game will be pissed off. (No way you could play through that game on your first go in 3 hours either. No way).

And don't kid yourself - ME was a total sales bomba. Sold a million+ copies because it was single-player only, had middling reviews, and was $19.99 within months of release. It took them 2 years to sell that many as well. How many full-price units got moved? A fraction of that.

Back to Vanquish news:

Other reviews:
Play UK - 93%
XBox 360 Mag UK - 80%

Adam J. said:
In regards to the shotgun, it's use is pretty much mandatory if you want to survive the challenge demo (you get rushed down fast) but whatever. I'm through defending this game until I've actually played the full retail version.

The shotgun is extremely useful in the first demo too.

Amir0x

Banned
RSB said:
You know, I don't even know how long did it take me to beat the game the first time. Mostly because I didn't play the game in a linear fashion, I replayed most of the levels a few more times before finishing the Campaign.

What I was trying to say is that Mirror's Edge has a short Campaign (I'd say about 3 hours without rushing too much, at least for me) and that doesn't stop it from being a masterpiece. That's it, and stop overreacting please.

Bye ;)

Ok, let me try to explain why the point you were making made zero sense.

Let's say you have a 12 hour game. And somebody speed runs in 4 hours.

Do you say "that game is a four hour game"? No, of course not.

That's exactly what you were doing trying to equate Mirror's Edge campaign time to Vanquish reported four hours on your first playthrough time. Mirror's Edge campaign is not "3 hours." On a first time, average 6 or 7 hours depending on if you're playing on a higher difficulty.

Yes, still not a long game... but slightly different then what you were trying to do, which is claim ME is 3 hours like Vanquish is 4 hours.

And anyway, as I've said, Mirror's Edge incentivizes the speed running/time runs in a way that frankly does not seem to have an equal in Vanquish. I'm sure there'll be fun to be had in challenges but I don't think the appeal is nearly as strong. Mirror's Edge campaign was basically training mode FOR the time trials.

Beezy said:
Nier does not suck.

Nah it's basically immensely awful in every way. Gameplay :lol Story :lol

Koralsky

So Famitsu and Play UK opinions aren't important after you saw the negative GI one?

That's bullshit. Waiting for Edge and Eurogamer reviews.

Also what was the GameInformer score for God Hand?

Amir0x

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
I hope that "every way" is excluding the soundtrack.

dear god yes. Nier soundtrack is INCREDIBLE

best of the year imo

Koralsky said:
So Famitsu and Play UK opinions aren't important after you saw the negative GI one?

Famitsu review never matters to anyone who can read.

Play UK, i didn't even know they reviewed it!

Also, The Game Informer Score is nearly an 8. That != Negative.

Also also, it's less the review people are complaining about but the assertion the game may be four hours long on a first play through.

Shurs

Amir0x said:
Nah it's basically immensely awful in every way. Gameplay :lol Story :lol

Maybe I'll pass then. Though $20 is pretty much the price point at which I'll buy any retail game that remotely interests me.

Koralsky said:

That's bullshit. Waiting for Edge and Eurogamer reviews.

Also what was the GameInformer score for God Hand?

There was no text for those reviews so there is nothing to bring it into context yet. Game Informer review wasn't negative (7.75 is a good score) - I'm just upset about the amount of content I'm getting for $60 (~four hour campaign). You know, like a consumer.

I'm not running to the hills screaming "cancel your pre-orders!" like so many people who over-react here. I'm just putting that stuff out there to start some discussions. You know, like a forum poster.

Amir0x

Banned
Shurs said:
Maybe I'll pass then. Though $20 is pretty much the price point at which I'll buy any retail game that remotely interests me.

Let me tell you before people try to trick you.

The combat is just fucking insanely awful. God, it's almost as bad as Enslaved. There's this terrible magic/bullet hell system ability that they thought was clever but basically is awful in practice.

65% of the game content consists of doing extremely menial tasks that are almost all unfun and mostly involve you running from one town to the next. It's the RPG version of Animal Crossing, which as everyone with taste knows is the worst game ever made.

The story is just painful, start to end. The writing is so frequently terrible that one is not surprised they thought their main selling point was an jRPG that says "fuck." The introduction bombards you with this profanity in an attempt to distract you from the basement quality writing.

The art direction/visuals are devastatingly awful. Like, the developer should stop making games it's so bad.

God, I cannot believe how bad it was. Like everyone was calling it some cult classic and I fucking should have listened to my instincts because aside from the music there is no redeeming qualities.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
65% of the game content consists of doing extremely menial tasks that are almost all unfun and mostly involve you running from one town to the next. It's the RPG version of Animal Crossing, which as everyone with taste knows is the worst game ever made.

Thank goodness it's only your opinion, hmm?

Koralsky

Amir0x said:
Play UK, i didn't even know they reviewed it!

Also, The Game Informer Score is nearly an 8. That != Negative.

Also also, it's less the review people are complaining about but the assertion the game may be four hours long on a first play through.

It's negative for me because i didn't expect Vanquish score to be below 8 :)

Didn't expect to be 9 and higher either.

Here's some fragments from Play UK:

"Play UK: "When it's in the zone, Vanquish is about as good as action gaming can get. Much more than the 'Gears Of War only faster' many were expecting, it draws upon the best ideas from a wide range of influences and blends them into an eye-bleedingly intense whole. The best game of the month.

After the surprise success of Bayonetta, Sega and PlatinumGames return with a shooter that is in contention for game of the year. Vanquish is a fast, frenetic and, above all else, fun shooter that manages to meld a wealth of established ideas together into something that feels fresh. I think it will certainly surprise a lot of people and is a perfect mix of both Eastern and Western gaming styles."

Score: 9.3/10"

Amir0x

Banned
Vilix said:
Thank goodness it's only your opinion, hmm?

only the opinion of people with taste, as has been established.

Anyway, thankfully for all humanity, VANQUISH is nothing like Nier or Animal Crossing.

Koralsky said:
It's negative for me because i didn't expect Vanquish score to be below 8 :)

Ask yourself, is .25 really worth losing sleep over? :lol

Shurs

Amir0x said:

The combat is just fucking insanely awful. God, it's almost as bad as Enslaved. There's this terrible magic/bullet hell system ability that they thought was clever but basically is awful in practice.

The story is just painful, start to end. The writing is so frequently terrible that one is not surprised they thought their main selling point was an jRPG that says "fuck." The introduction bombards you with this profanity in an attempt to distract you from the basement quality writing.

The art direction/visuals are devastatingly awful. Like, the developer should stop making games it's so bad.

God, I cannot believe how bad it was. Like everyone was calling it some cult classic and I fucking should have listened to my instincts because aside from the music there is no redeeming qualities.

I appreciate your take on the game. Thanks.

Amir0x

Banned
Shurs said:

Anyway, I already have a $25 dollar off card from K-Mart, so i think I might still get Vanquish that way. If I use that coupon, do these other deals still apply for me?

Shurs

Amir0x said:
Anyway, I already have a $25 dollar off card from K-Mart, so i think I might still get Vanquish that way. If I use that coupon, do these other deals still apply for me?

Yes.

You'll still get a $20 coupon and the half price deal if you use the $25 coupon on Vanquish.

Amir0x said:
only the opinion of people with taste, as has been established.

Anyway, thankfully for all humanity, VANQUISH is nothing like Nier or Animal Crossing.

Ask yourself, is .25 really worth losing sleep over? :lol

It really saddens me that there are gamers here that are changing their minds over a slightly lower number; or any number at all. Words are more important than a score :'(

Well my PS3 is broken so I cant get it regardless right now but if it is 4 hours long I am very very disappointed. There is no excuse for that, I will rent it later on if that is the case.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The GI review seems suspect to me in that he probably did a quick run through. Most here will finish the game in 8 to 10 hours. I'll probably finish it in 16 or more. I love to take my time with games. I love to soak in the atmosphere and get as drawn in as possible. I also don't run in games. I figure if the game has me playing the character of some badass why not have a badass attitude. Sorta like a bull thinking "Instead of running down the hill to fuck a cow, why don't I just walk down the hill and fuck some cows."

Vilix said:
The GI review seems suspect to me in that he probably did a quick run through. Most here will finish the game in 8 to 10 hours. I'll probably finish it in 16 or more. I love to take my time with games. I love to soak in the atmosphere and get as drawn in as possible. I also don't run in games. I figure if the game has me playing the character of some badass why not have a badass attitude. Sorta like a bull thinking "Instead of running down the hill to fuck a cow, why don't I just walk down the hill and fuck some cows."
The whole point of Vanquish is to play fast...

Vilix said:
I also don't run in games. I figure if the game has me playing the character of some badass why not have a badass attitude. Sorta like a bull thinking "Instead of running down the hill to fuck a cow, why don't I just walk down the hill and fuck some cows."

You're going to walk in a game with a boosting mechanic? :lol

Oh, and that was a beautiful analogy.

Sinople

Sorry to be off-topic but...

Shurs said:

You could also try for yourself before forging your opinion.
Other people would tell you it's a very good game (me included).
Take a look at the OT.

Amir0x said:

Sigh.

I blame dramatis.

Shurs

Sinople said:
Sorry to be off-topic but...

You could also try for yourself before forging your opinion.
Other people would tell you it's a very good game (me included).
Take a look at the OT.

My mind isn't made up, but I appreciate that he took the time to post his thoughts.

I'll definitely seek out more opinions before making up my mind.

Yeah I think we might need to get Gameinformer to give us a screencap with their playtime or something.

Especially after seeing this quote

PG_jp said:
GameInformer: "Don't be surprised if you finish your first playthrough in four hours." Really? Because it would surprise the hell out of us.

Dead

well not really...yet
BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah I think we might need to get Gameinformer to give us a screencap with their playtime or something.

GI status: told

Thats reassuring. Hopefully we get some other reviews out sooner rather than later.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I'll wait for price drop. Campaign sounds short and I am not a fan of replaying games. Oh well

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BudokaiMR2 said:

Wait, is that JP running the twitter?

george_us

Adam J. said:
Look, I hate to shill for this game, but for those of you that are reconsidering buying this because of it's supposed length, but really enjoyed the demo and were excited for this game, hear this. When the JP challenge demo dropped I played it with a friend for 3 hours straight, about 2 of those were just trying to beat it(yeah we suck), and the other hour dedicated to just screwing around, trying new strategies, and, you know, having fun. I'm sure that the campaign will be a blast, but I'm willing to bet that the meat of the game will be in these challenge stages.
If that's the case then, like others, I'll probably wait until this drops to $19.99. I'm not really into challenge modes and I think the repetition may bother me. Plus I'm a bit burnt out on shooting things at the moment.

Edit: I was just watching another gameplay video plus I just remembered I had $20 in Amazon credit. Day one purchase is back on!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Told you guys that you shouldn't trust GameInformer with reviews. Seriously, they're pretty bad.

ZealousD said:
Told you guys that you shouldn't trust GameInformer with reviews. Seriously, they're pretty bad.

I haven't been really keeping up with game reviews these days.....who is fairly trustworthy now?

I'm talking writing by the way, none of that 9.3 lol game is worse than 9.4 bullshit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BudokaiMR2 said:

oh shit!

dwebo

Discotheque said:
I haven't been really keeping up with game reviews these days.....who is fairly trustworthy now?
As far as quality of writing and willingness to criticize heavily hyped games, Eurogamer and Edge probably. I don't think Vanquish qualifies as one of those though, so there shouldn't be too much review inflation across the board.

ZealousD

Discotheque said:

I'm talking writing by the way, none of that 9.3 lol game is worse than 9.4 bullshit.

Well, first off, relying on any one reviewer is a mistake. I try to look for a "critical consensus" before casting any judgements, and even then that can miss the mark in some cases (GTA4).

But in terms of writing, I think Edge and Eurogamer do it better than most. I don't always subscribe to their opinion, but at least the writing isn't garbage.

ZealousD

We can't just ban an outlet just because we don't like them. Like it or not, GameInformer is an important source of gaming news.

For a gaming forum that's basically 100% behind free speech rights, many of you are so quick to call for censorship.

Top Bottom