• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

ZealousD said:
We can't just ban an outlet just because we don't like them. Like it or not, GameInformer is an important source of gaming news.

For a gaming forum that's basically 100% behind free speech rights, many of you are so quick to call for censorship.

My biggest problem is with gaming journalism in general. Most of the people reviewing and writing can barely do both. Like that Mod pointed out, most of it is nothing but fanboy banter. One day I hope we can take them serious.

Gavarms

New Blog
About The Demos
So everyone, did you get a chance to play the Vanquish demos?

There have actually been two Vanquish demos so far in Japan. The Vanquish Official Demo – Velocity Attack was taken from the campaign mode of the game, while the Vanquish Challenge Mode Demo (currently available in Japan) is part of an unlockable extra mode. We called the stage used in Velocity Attack room number 110, and I have to admit that I forgot what the code name was for the challenge mode room. (I have the habit of being the guy who forgets everything the minute development is over…)

Room 110 is pretty much exactly as you will find it in the game. In the full version of Vanquish, you will have the opening cinematic (the destruction of San Francisco and the infiltration of the colony), as well as the initial entrance into the colony with its baptism by enemy fire.

The stage used in the Vanquish Challenge Mode Demo is actually a map from the actual game, but the enemies that appear are completely different. (Wait until you see the enemy drill robot in the final game, it is awesome!) In the full version, you will get a boss fight pretty soon after this area, and I really love the cutscene that you see at that point. It is quite cool.

Even with the demo version, Vanquish is a game that is a blast to play again and again. I think it will be interesting to see the competition that sprouts up amongst skilled players playing the final version of the game. Vanquish isn’t a game that trails off towards the end, so you can expect a consistent level of quality to the very last bullet. Look forward to it next week!
1.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
CaptYamato said:
My biggest problem is with gaming journalism in general. Most of the people reviewing and writing can barely do both. Like that Mod pointed out, most of it is nothing but fanboy banter. One day I hope we can take them serious.

So what are you going to do? Ban every single video game outlet? This is a forum specifically created to discuss video games. You can't cut us off from some of the most significant sources of video gaming news.

Look, I recognize that there are very big problems with video game "journalism". Certainly, I'm no friend of GameInformer's approach to reviews. But really, there's problems with any kind of journalism nowadays. Can you imagine a forum that was dedicated to discussing current events banning Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN?

ZealousD said:
So what are you going to do? Ban every single video game outlet? This is a forum specifically created to discuss video games. You can't cut us off from some of the most significant sources of video gaming news.

Look, I recognize that there are very big problems with video game "journalism". Certainly, I'm no friend of GameInformer's approach to reviews. But really, there's problems with any kind of journalism nowadays. Can you imagine a forum that was dedicated to discussing current events banning Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN?

Yeah everyone would just get straight facts from AP instead of from other news services reading AP and then spewing oral diarrhea.

Amir0x

Banned
Let's ban GameInformer now, plz.

For all the times developers exaggerate and straight out lie about how long their games are (read: I've never, ever seen a developer give an accurate guesstimate of how long the average gamer will take to complete their game), you believe PG which have a investment in gamers believing it ISN'T that short would be totally truthful if it was?

Gameinformer is Gameinformer, but they're certainly not going to be banned because a developer takes issue with a certain accounting of time. I would love to see Gameinformer post a time stamp however.

ZealousD said:
We can't just ban an outlet just because we don't like them. Like it or not, GameInformer is an important source of gaming news.

For a gaming forum that's basically 100% behind free speech rights, many of you are so quick to call for censorship.

Yeah, I think this is way over-reacting; for all we know the game still really could be only four hours long for the average gamer. Need some more opinions before this is put to rest. Having said that, if they really were flat out exaggerating/lying, then it's absolutely disgraceful as it has almost certainly already had a marked effect on sales based on how many people have been turned off here.

Something like this happened with Bayonetta, someone posted a time completition screen of 2 hours and half or something like that and everyone panicked...not saying this time isn't true.

Anyway, I found it strange that only GI mentioned the short duration...we'll have o wait and see...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Something this reminded me of was Madworld

Madworld's gameplay timer was weird in that it didn't count cutscenes. So people would end up with completion times of 2.5 hours when in reality they played it for 6.

So I was thinking that maybe the guy saw a results screen that added up his total time for every stage, and it came up as 4 hours.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Man, I called it. :lol

I knew this game was going to be shorter than they were saying. Although, I think I said 5 hours. It probably still is that. No way they could keep up the pace of this game for 10 hours.

edit: Btw, MW2, Killzone 2, and several other high profile shooters are under 5 hours on first playthrough if you're good.

Bernbaum

Oh boy this dumb.

Game will be amazing regardless of length, as have countless classics before it.

I can finish Portal, SM64, Ico and Bayonetta in about 4 hours whilst knitting a quilt. The 'hours per dollar' argument is moot, especially with a game designed to be played, replayed, S-ranked and enjoyed like crisp motherfucking chardonnay.

Shurs

BobsRevenge said:
Man, I called it. :lol

I knew this game was going to be shorter than they were saying. Although, I think I said 5 hours. It probably still is that. No way they could keep up the pace of this game for 10 hours.

edit: Btw, MW2, Killzone 2, and several other high profile shooters are under 5 hours on first playthrough if you're good.

Sure, but the life of those games is extended dramatically due to competitive multiplayer.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Bernbaum said:
Oh boy this dumb.

Game will be amazing regardless of length, as have countless classics before it.

I can finish Portal, SM64, Ico and Bayonetta in about 4 hours whilst knitting a quilt. The 'hours per dollar' argument is moot, especially with a game designed to be played, replayed, S-ranked and enjoyed like crisp motherfucking chardonnay.
Yeah exactly. Plus there is a challenge mode and junk. I mean, I beat Crysis in about 4, 4 1/2 hours now when I play it and that feels like a perfect length for a replayable action game. And Vanquish adds rankings and leaderboards ontop of it.

edit:
Shurs said:
Sure, but the life of those games is extended dramatically due to competitive multiplayer.
Or, the life of those games is shortened dramatically because the single player sucks. Depends on what you want to play!

DaBuddaDa

Maybe the average Japanese gamer takes 6-7 hours with it, but the average NA player, who has played fifty thousand TPS before in his life can beat it in 4.

george_us

BobsRevenge said:
Yeah exactly. Plus there is a challenge mode and junk. I mean, I beat Crysis in about 4, 4 1/2 hours now when I play it and that feels like a perfect length for a replayable action game. And Vanquish adds rankings and leaderboards ontop of it.
Well yeah but I highly doubt your first play through of Crysis took you 4 hours. I mean I could beat Bayonetta in 4 hours but that doesn't change the fact that my first play through was around 12 hours or so. I'm just a little worried that my first play through will be 4 hours or less but I'm not even paying full price for the game and I tend to replay campaigns pretty often.

What has me more worried is the repetition Game Informer claims is an issue.

Defunkled

Bernbaum said:
Oh boy this dumb.

Quoted for TRUTH. This is my most anticipated game of the year and it could be 3 hours long for all I care. I have no reserves when it comes to dropping $60 on this Day 1. C'MON TUESDAY HURRY UP

Shurs

BobsRevenge said:
Or, the life of those games is shortened dramatically because the single player sucks. Depends on what you want to play!

Sure. But for people who don't like replaying games, 4 hours is short. I don't mind the length that much, as I have so many games to play right now it's overwhelming, and a short, tight experience would serve my best interests at the moment, but I can see why someone would be disappointed. I guess, for me, the sweet spot for a game like this would be 6-8 hours.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Shurs said:
Or maybe it took him four hours to play through the game.

Yeah maybe

I just think it's weird that only one out of 3-4 reviews so far brought that up

While they shared alot of other complaints(enemy recycling)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Threads like this make me realize both how little I care about justifying the money I'm about to spend on a game to other people and how little I care about whether they think it's worth it for them.

This isn't a passive defense of Vanquish, I just don't like talking about value propositions in regard to games. It's just a boring conversation to me. I'd rather talk about the actual content of the game. Hearing about some guys fifth run-through of the second demo would be a tad more interesting to me than this.

I hate this "a game must be x hours of long to be worthy of purchase" mentality that marketing execs & some reviewers established during ps1 days. It encourages designers to create bloated unpolished bland experiences that rely on marketing bullet points than the quality of their gameplay for success (i.e Fable 2 & Peter Molyneux). No 2-d shmup level needs to be longer than 5-10 minutes, not every rpg needs to be 20+ hours, not every 3-d action game needs to be compared to other action games in terms of length. The quality & satisfaction the experience delivers that should matter, not some metric number. Especially in a world where it is getting harder & harder to commit to a long game & overwhelming majority of gamers don't care to finish games that they purchase.

Shurs

Rez said:
Threads like this make me realize both how little I care about justifying the money I'm about to spend on a game to other people and how little I care about whether they think it's worth it for them.

This isn't a passive defense of Vanquish, I just don't like talking about value propositions in regard to games. It's just a boring conversation to me. I'd rather talk about the actual content of the game. Hearing about some guys fifth run-through of the second demo would be a tad more interesting to me than this.

You're right.

The experience is what matters most.

I'll move on.

Rez said:

Pretty much this.

And, I mean, Resident Evil 4 was about 13-16 hours long on my first playthrough, but given how many times I've replayed the game I've easily gotten hundreds of hours out of it. I'll happily pay full price for Vanquish based on that.

Bernbaum

Think of it this way - if Vanquish exchanged its forcibly cheesy yet enthralling plot for the drawn out pacing and hamfisted exposition of Gears of War 2, and diluted it's moment-by-moment action down to the same level of engagement offered by Fenix n' friends, it would be a 70 hour game.

Yeah I don't think we are really going to find that it is as short as GI claimed. PG has been extremely open regarding their games and I at least haven't heard them spout any misinformation so far.

Also, as others have said there is no reason that a game needs to be long and bloated, especially an action game.

I can beat ZoE2 in a ridiculously fast time and it is still one of my favorite games ever.

RedStep

Vilix said:
The GI review seems suspect to me in that he probably did a quick run through. Most here will finish the game in 8 to 10 hours. I'll probably finish it in 16 or more. I love to take my time with games. I love to soak in the atmosphere and get as drawn in as possible. I also don't run in games. I figure if the game has me playing the character of some badass why not have a badass attitude. Sorta like a bull thinking "Instead of running down the hill to fuck a cow, why don't I just walk down the hill and fuck some cows."

This is solid logic. I usually crouch-walk as well, to show those cows that I really don't care if I fuck them or not. It made MW2 last for 16 hours.

Bernbaum said:
Oh boy this dumb.

Nailed it. Some of the best games ever made are 45~ minutes long.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Fimbulvetr said:
You're going to walk in a game with a boosting mechanic? :lol

Nah. Seeing as how boosting everywhere is essential to the gameplay I'll be taking full advantage of it in this case. :D

EDIT: There were some people that did Batman:Arkum Aslym in less than 10 hours. That game is arguably the best game of this generation. And wasn't Metal Gear Solid 1 only 8 hours long if you take out movies inbetween? Length doesn't mean shit. Especially when it has a lot of replay value.

Amir0x said:
Gameinformer is Gameinformer, but they're certainly not going to be banned because a developer takes issue with a certain accounting of time. I would love to see Gameinformer post a time stamp however.

They won't do that. Wouldn't be surprised if they even finished the game.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If the experience is worth about $60 in quarters to get a Platinum trophy or 100% Achievements, Vanquish may very well be a GOTY candidate for me. As someone who spent a lot of money in arcades in the 80's, I am still perfectly fine with short experiences as long as the challenge and the fun tweaks those moments of nostalgia for me.

sonicmj1

I want to believe that Platinum is right and Game Informer is wrong, but I have no way of judging that until more reviews are out with full text.

Nothing will stop me from getting this game, though.

george_us

Fuck I'm watching some gameplay vids from the demo and I'm getting hyped.

Fast-paced shooter.

Sweet techno-ish soundtrack.

Shinji Mikami.

Fuck. Want. Now.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
With the exception of Kmart, the lack of promotional sales for this game is really disappointing. I already have GT5 taken care of and I am working on Castlevania now, and I am not quite ready to spend $60 on another game. But for a sweet GC or credit promotion, I would be all over this right now. I may just need to man up and go to my Kmart. :lol

Shurs said:
Have you even played the game?

No, but they have been called out for their bullshit before this.

What the fuck does that have to do with it? There has been many times where reviewers say something and they are found to be wrong. Most of the time it is because they didn't finish the games.

Shurs

CaptYamato said:
No, but they have been called out for their bullshit before this.

What the fuck does that have to do with it? There has been many times where reviewers say something and they are found to be wrong. Most of the time it is because they didn't finish the games.

They have played the game. You have not.

There's no need to question the ethics of a reviewer just because a game you're super hyped about might not be as long as you'd originally hoped, or because it didn't get the score you've imagined the game (that, once again, you haven't played) is worthy of.

I'm sure you'll love Vanquish, not matter what other people think.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
DenogginizerOS said:
With the exception of Kmart, the lack of promotional sales for this game is really disappointing. I already have GT5 taken care of and I am working on Castlevania now, and I am not quite ready to spend $60 on another game. But for a sweet GC or credit promotion, I would be all over this right now. I may just need to man up and go to my Kmart. :lol

Reminds me of Bayonetta. I think Vanquish may be another sleeper hit.

Shurs said:
They have played the game. You have not.

There's no need to question the ethics of a reviewer just because a game you're super hyped about might not be as long as you'd originally hoped, or because it didn't get the score you've imagined the game (that, once again, you haven't played) is worthy of.

I'm sure you'll love Vanquish, not matter what other people think.
I've already said I don't care about the length or the score. My complaint is how none of the other reviews have mentioned the short time. If a game is short more sites will point it out.

MechaX

I'm really curious about the replay value more than the length. This could be more of a case like RE4 or Bayonetta where the main game is pretty short (although, the latter took me 10 hours), but it has massive incentives for replaying the game by unlocking different weapons, different modes, etc.

If Vanquish has a short campaign with absolutely no replay value, however, well...

MechaX said:
I'm really curious about the replay value more than the length. This could be more of a case like RE4 or Bayonetta where the main game is pretty short (although, the latter took me 10 hours), but it has massive incentives for replaying the game by unlocking different weapons, different modes, etc.

If Vanquish has a short campaign with absolutely no replay value, however, well...
What Mikami game doesn't have unlockables and extras to find after the first playthrough?

robor

MechaX said:

Did you play the demo? It's space invaders with high octane third-person shooting, the repaly value is how well you synergize the array of mechanics that are at your disposal whilst adding surveying statistical value to how well you perform.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
The 4 hour length does sound very short. However, this doesn't concern me at all. As others have stated, some games are great to play through multiple times. As far as I can remember Viewtiful Joe can be completed in 30 to 40 minutes during a speedrun. But the game is so badass, that multiple playthroughs are a reward not a hindrance.

Plus these types of games are about scoring, as are most Platinum/Clover games. I dont want to assume, but I am getting the feeling that this game might not be that deep regarding the story. But who cares when you are trying to improve your skill and score...? Plus uppercutting giant mechs heads off should never get old. :D

The only thing surprising about the length of the game is how long RE4 and God Hand were. Both were quite long for the types of games they were. Vanquish's length seems closer to PN03's.

That said, the combined time I played the two Vanquish demos was something like six to eight hours. I only stopped because it was getting ridiculous and I needed to save it for the full game. It's a bit like Mirror's Edge for me.

Top Bottom