• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Shurs

Macintosh360 said:
I don't understand what your implying - my name is also bush - not eric bush the EIC - why would I give you all his name if that was in fact me, thats lame of you guys to try and point that out based off of "rtbush" - what does that even mean?

Once and for all I am not the same person that is running that site, maybe related to him, maybe he just has the same last name as me - but your investigation tactics into other people are more pitiful that your whole argument before. Maybe find something better to do with your time.

For me the issue is, if you're going to promote your site, be up front about it. I try not to use GAF for promotional purposes - in fact, I try to keep GAF separate from my written work - but if I linked to my site, I'd take ownership of it and say it was mine.

Macintosh360 said:
Yes he is my older brother, but I only mess around on the forums over there, very little else...should that have been disclosed? I'm not sure where all the hostility is coming from....

If you would have just said "FUCK YOU GUYS THAT IS MY BROTHERS SITE!"

He would have left you alone.

Shurs said:
For me the issue is, if you're going to promote your site, be up front about it. I try not to use GAF for promotional purposes - in fact, I try to keep GAF separate from my written work - but if I linked to my site, I'd take ownership of it and say it was mine.

Well now I want a link. Just to see what kind of site it is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DrudgeSiren.gif

epic thread alert

Amir0x

Banned
Macintosh360 said:
Yes he is my older brother, but I only mess around on the forums over there, very little else...should that have been disclosed? I'm not sure where all the hostility is coming from....

Macintosh360. Let's assume for the moment this bullshit about him being your brother is true. You came on here from the intentionally dishonest position of calling people who criticized this review as peanut gallery critics, who shouldn't comment because they themselves are not critics. And yet without us knowing just how far the level of bias goes with your commentary, it makes your absurd comments even more ridiculous. If you would have told us that from the get go, maybe it would be different.

And secondly, let's be real, I'd respect you more if you were honest. Are both you and your brothers Editor-in-Chiefs at different websites? Which website are you editor-in-chief at?

Shurs

CaptYamato said:
Well now I want a link. Just to see what kind of site it is.

As I said, I don't want to use GAF for promotional purposes, nor do I want to link my GAF name, and by extension any stigma that might be attached to it, to my life outside of GAF. Rest assured, I'm a nobody.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, that Planet Xbox 360 has some pretty horrific writing. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the writer in question is a teenager.

brandonh83 said:
The awkwardness shall never be vanquished.

The consequences will never be the same!!!!!

miladesn said:
Not yet, kinda weird, they were always out like 1 month before release date of a game.

Any idea why not? You know what reviews are not getting out like I thought they would. It's the Friday before. WHERE ARE ALL THE REVIEWS.

V_Ben said:
What happened in here...
Don't you know? 90% of the folks in this forum don't even enjoy video games. To them, video gaming is a hobby where you complain about a game's length if its under 20 hours - and where you discuss and rage over game sales.

Owzers

4-6 hours is REALLY short. I might rent it and then if i love it buy it when it's $20 or so to replay and keep in my collection.

Is the framerate solid on both 360 and ps3? If i didn't already by castlevania i could have taken advantage of the really good kmart deal where you get $20 credit for Vanquish and $30 off a select game instantly...but i don't really want any of those select games.

ZeroRay

sillymonkey321 said:
4-6 hours is REALLY short. I might rent it and then if i love it buy it when it's $20 or so to replay and keep in my collection.

Is the framerate solid on both 360 and ps3? If i didn't already by castlevania i could have taken advantage of the really good kmart deal where you get $20 credit for Vanquish and $30 off a select game instantly...but i don't really want any of those select games.

Framerate is good on both versions and it's a game that demands you replay it many times. Go for it if you enjoyed the demo.

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
could you explain, in words, why the combat is such a fun twist compared to other 3rd persons shooters?

It's just so much faster. The controls are really on point, and there is a flow to the combat... imagine the way there's a flow to the platforming of Mirror's Edge, only apply that to the way combat is engineered in the demo. I don't know how it applies to the whole game, but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't be.

You'll be sliding in and out of combat with finesse, orchestrating the destruction of your foes like some mad conductor. It's reaaally slick.

Don't you know? 90% of the folks in this forum don't even enjoy video games. To them, video gaming is a hobby where you complain about a game's length if its under 20 hours

We're consumers. We absolutely have the right to complain about four hour long products when you spend $60 for them.

Nothing wrong with 4 hour games - if that game is $40 bucks or less.

Stop overreaching.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would be all pissed the game was 4-6 hours if I wasn't getting it for free.

Amir0x

Banned
thetrin said:
I would be all pissed the game was 4-6 hours if I wasn't getting it for free.

FREE!? What sorcery is this!?

I'm not complaining anymore since I realized I have a $25 off coupon at K-Mart. So with that, the game is $35. Well worth it even if it IS 4-6 hours.

Plus with all the other bonuses, can't go wrong

thetrin

Amir0x said:
FREE!? What sorcery is this!?

I'm not complaining anymore since I realized I have a $25 off coupon at K-Mart. So with that, the game is $35. Well worth it even if it IS 4-6 hours.

Plus with all the other bonuses, can't go wrong

One of the electronics stores in the area had a 2 for 1 preorder deal. I got Reach LE and Vanquish. :D

Amir0x said:
You'll be sliding in and out of combat with finesse, orchestrating the destruction of your foes like some mad conductor. It's reaaally slick.

That's kind of what I got from the demo. I understand that many are concerned about the length, I am too, but I suppose it just depends on the content provided in said length.

I have plenty of favorites that I felt was worth every penny that can be beaten in under an hour. Star Fox, for example. One of my all-time favorites, but incredibly short.

Amir0x

Banned
thetrin said:
One of the electronics stores in the area had a 2 for 1 preorder deal. I got Reach LE and Vanquish. :D

very nice

brandonh83 said:
That's kind of what I got from the demo. I understand that many are concerned about the length, I am too, but I suppose it just depends on the content provided in said length.

I have plenty of favorites that I felt was worth every penny that can be beaten in under an hour. Star Fox, for example. One of my all-time favorites, but incredibly short.

Star Fox on SNES? Man that game does not hold up today. If you meant Star Fox 64 then ok then ;)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LordPhoque said:
Wow, so much agressivity in here.

:lol

I'll probably get this one at some point but there's too much coming out in the next few weeks for me. I was lukewarm on the demo the first time I tried it, it just felt like Japanese Gears of War, but I think I "got" it the 2nd time through. The slide move is fuckin' sweet.
I can see this being mine by the end of the year. I'm fine with 4 hours if it's good for a few replays, I'll take re playability over length any day.

Amir0x said:
Star Fox on SNES? Man that game does not hold up today. If you meant Star Fox 64 then ok then ;)

Well, both. And a great game will always hold up. I don't care if there are only five polygons!

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Well, both. And a great game will always hold up. I don't care if there are only five polygons!

no i just mean it doesn't hold up. I mean that's kinda the point... it sorta kinda was good when it came out because there was no context for another game like it, but today? It runs like shit, looks like shit and basically also plays like shit.

Star Fox 64 is the true Star Fox game for SF fans now imo. I can't even go back to SNES one if I tried. It's almost literally painful :lol

Anyway, just sayin' I understand your point about length. Star Fox 64 IS super replayable, so even though it has a short campaign it makes up for it in ways you can replay it.

Amir0x said:
Anyway, just sayin' I understand your point about length. Star Fox 64 IS super replayable, so even though it has a short campaign it makes up for it in ways you can replay it.

I just hope that if Vanquish is indeed going to be really short, that it has good replay incentive.

When I think about it, a lot of my favorite games are about 4-5 hours long, at least when you know what you're doing.

Perhaps Vanquish will follow this trail or get lost in the woods. Time will tell.

Amir0x

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Still on the fence about this. Rez banned? That guy needed a break. Hopefully the thread is back on track.
Your avatar taunts me with the realization that Gran Turismo 5 is never going to come out :(

NHale

thetrin said:
Wow, that Planet Xbox 360 has some pretty horrific writing. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the writer in question is a teenager.

If only this was the only problem. You're talking about a website that that published their Tony Hawk: RIDE review in the day it was launched while other websites/magazines never got review copies. By the way they gave it a 9.0.

Phenomic

Was the 4 to 6 hour comment by Game Informer about actual game-play only? I guess they didn't really explain if they skipped cut-scenes or not or the difficulty level they chose? Doesn't seem like the case from this twitter post. Not sure exactly how much cinema is in the game but I would fair to guess at least maybe an hours worth if not more, seemed like a potential story based experience from past trailers.

4-6 hours with everything included from normal seems kinda painful but the game still looks so good. I've got a Kmart Coupon that expires on 11/6 and the deal for that game is almost too good to pass up (plus I must use the coupon on something!). Pretty much going to end up with the game. I just hope estimates are more like Mikami was saying between 7-10.

Shurs

NHale said:
If only this was the only problem. You're talking about a website that that published their Tony Hawk: RIDE review in the day it was launched while other websites/magazines never got review copies. By the way they gave it a 9.0.

690spk.jpg

It keeps getting better.

Koralsky

Newer (lower) price in Zavvi

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/vanquish-with-lenticular-sleeve/10086636.html

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/vanquish-with-lenticular-sleeve/10086634.html

Also, some quotes from the official Vanquish forum:

"
Blacklash93

Where is the Game Informer review? I don't see it on their site.

Anyway, I got Vanquish early at Best Buy. I'm about 2/3 through the game I can say for sure it's more than 4 hours. It's taken me about 5 1/2 hours to get to the point I'm at. It's probably going to clock at about 8 or 9. There's been no Zero-G section either thus far.

and

PlatinumGamesJP

PlatinumGames Admin

I'll repost what I wrote on Twitter:

@pg_JP: GameInformer: "Don't be surprised if you finish your first playthrough in four hours." Really? Because it would surprise the hell out of us.

Just so you guys know, my final tuning playthrough (not trying to speed run, or bug check, but playing it like I would approach a shooter at home) was something like 6.5 hours. "

22 can't come soon enough )))

Just saw those Famitsu scores. Great news! And as someone else mentioned, I've missed games you can play through in one sitting. Looking forward to complete game speed runs in Vanquish!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Fimbulvetr said:
It looks really cool and should have been released today.
I agree but I don't want to flunk out of uni

Though, if there was ever a game to fail for, this is it.

Top Bottom