• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - HBO Comedy - [update: S2 trailer!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the second episode. And though it was better, I'm still not a fan.

I don't know if I'll watch any more. Honestly, the only reason I did was because nothing else was on at that time and I just happened to see that it was airing.

i've heard people talk about walter goggins for years since he was on justified, i didn't understand how right they were. i've got to go watch hateful 8 as well.

he's got so much swagger

You really need to watch The Shield; more-so than Justified, IMO, if you want to get a taste of A-game Goggins.
Not only is it a phenomenal show from pilot to finale, but Goggins is absolutely amazing in it. I can't stress that enough.

Wife and I are out, I think. Was smashing all her stuff and then burning her house down supposed to be funny? Yeah, yeah, dark humor, blah, blah. Although McBride is CLEARLY in over his head, so in that regard, this might end up a tragedy in the midst of the leads doing 2 Stooges with each other.

Weckum

Watched Ep2, love it.

Also, the soundtrack is fucking amazing with the 80's synth vibe and the typical high school drumband.

And the way Walton Goggins walks is so fucking cool. Shitty Tumblr gif but still:

tumblr_o3w5gafMor1uqyagpo1_500.gif

Bread

Banned
You really need to watch The Shield; more-so than Justified, IMO, if you want to get a taste of A-game Goggins.
Not only is it a phenomenal show from pilot to finale, but Goggins is absolutely amazing in it. I can't stress that enough.
That's definitely been on my list for years, I wish it was streaming somewhere. I had no idea he was in it though.

ironmang

Not sure how I feel about McBride so far. Liked him a lot more in E&D. Don't have any TV shows to compare Goggins too but he's pretty outstanding in this.

kingocfs

I literally went from finishing The Shield right into this show, which needless to say has been a jarring Goggins transition. It's true though, he really is fantastic in it.

Have only seen a bit of Justified, didn't real grab me, but he seemed great in that too.

Weckum

I literally went from finishing The Shield right into this show, which needless to say has been a jarring Goggins transition. It's true though, he really is fantastic in it.

Have only seen a bit of Justified, didn't real grab me, but he seemed great in that too.

Justified is amazing from S2, once they go into season-long arcs. Same thing for The Shield.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
This is failing to tickle my funny bone like eastbound did. I'll probably finish up the season but a lot is riding on the upcoming 3rd ep.

Oh and that pendent gonna come back and bite McBride in ass. Goggins playing the long game on him.

Zaph

If you really wanna go for a ride, watch a YouTube supercut of Goggins on Sons of Anarchy.

Which, incidentally, is the best way to watch Sons of Anarchy.

Watched the first episode on Sky Atlantic just now. Liked it, but need to be convinced more of it. For now, it's a good hook-in anyway.

Loving it, especially for the fact that secondary characters see right through their shit and react in semi-reasonable ways.

If it stays this dark and oddly perverse I think it's going to be wild.

- Lengthy interview in Esquire: Vice Principals' Walton Goggins Lets Us Peer Inside of His Brain for the Afternoon
ESQUIRE: The centerpiece of the second episode of Vice Principals, which aired last night, was an extended scene in which Lee and Neal destroy the principal's home. Was filming that scene fun?

Walton Goggins: It was glorious. Here's the thing about episode two of Vice Principals: You will not finish it without feeling like breaking shit.

I've admired Danny McBride from afar for a very long time. I don't have to do that anymore because he's now like a brother. I love the man. What this show will do for him, which I'm so excited about, is affirm his abilities in people's minds. This is all him—he wrote it with his writers, but it's his voice.

He and Jody Hill tapped into something with Foot Fist Way that has now come to pass in this country: the disenfranchised angry white American male. And whether they saw it coming or whether that's just what they found funny—whether they are a reflection of their times or they are a precursor—all of the sudden it's coalesced into this moment. It's sublime. When people see that this isn't just the fall semester, which is the first season, but it is fall and spring semesters—a full year of school with this faculty led by these two vice principals and the principle, Dr. Belinda Brown, played by Kimberly Herbert Gregory—you will not expect to be having the emotions you will be having in episode eighteen.
He talks a fair bit about his process, acting heroes, and a few other things. More via the link.

Just saw the first two episodes. First episode is alright, but the second one is amazing. I loved it.
It took Eastbound a while before it got as dark as this already got. It's probably why I like these kinds of shows and movies as much as I do.

Wife and I are out, I think. Was smashing all her stuff and then burning her house down supposed to be funny? Yeah, yeah, dark humor, blah, blah. Although McBride is CLEARLY in over his head, so in that regard, this might end up a tragedy in the midst of the leads doing 2 Stooges with each other.

It was supposed to be and is indeed funny yes.

So far this is a big letdown from last week. The show really seems to drag when Goggins isn't on. And I don't care at all that this man child has a crush on the English teacher.

Think I'll hop onto HBO Go tonight and give the pilot a shot. Danny can annoy me at times, but I love Goggins. And it sounds in here like Goggins is great in this.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I love Walter Higgins character so Fucking much.

My lord his style is amazing
The tone, walk, Everything.

I fucking lost it at the shithole joke of the house, "Its a mid-century sea ranch" or something of that nature.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, is the implication the guy took advantage of the drunk teacher because he was feeling bad about being called an asshole of the other one?

barik

I hope the rest of the show isn't as painful as that was, because that was really hard to get through. Still great though.

- Goggins interview with Warming Glow
Lee Russell is such a unique character, in terms of the blend of his silly affectations and his genuinely sinister inner life. How much of Lee was on the page when you got the script and how much were you able to bring to the character, with the bow tie and the frosted tips and all that?

God, it’s like what came first, the egg or the chicken, man? Danny had written frosted tips. That was in there, as well as exactly how Lee Russell would dress, with a lot of it coming from our costume designer. The rest of it, Danny said, “Do whatever it is that you want to do.” When you have writing that’s that good, it’s much easier for someone in my position to interpret it because you’re not concerned with having to fix something. You’re just able to let it all out, and to explore this character in many, many different ways. You just kind of see it, at least I do. Like Chris Mannix, for instance, I just knew him immediately. I knew Boyd Crowder immediately. Shane Vendrell, I knew immediately. I knew Venus Van Dam immediately.

How did you hit upon that accent?

I grew up in Georgia and I knew people that were similar to Lee Russell in their mannerisms and behavior. And some were marginalized because they were gay, and others were marginalized because they just had great style and they were different. On some level, I kind of had my cake and ate it too — I was a metrosexual way before that word was ever put out into the lexicon. I knew people like that and I saw that, and so for me it just made sense that that’s where Lee Russell was coming from. Danny was also privy to those personalities in the town that he grew up in in Virginia, and so I think it’s an amalgamation of all of it — life experience and exposure to people like this, and then things that you’ve just picked up along the way.

Your specialty is that you can play evil or flawed people and still project a lot of warmth and even likability on screen. Is that something you’re attracted to, that dichotomy, as an actor? Or do you find that writers and directors see that in you and end up offering you those types of roles?

I think it’s a combination of both. I genuinely am attracted to people like this. I don’t know if I just kind of keep replaying this cycle or this emotional journey, although it’s with completely different people under completely different circumstances. I don’t know if I’m atoning for sins in previous lives. I have no idea. I’ve been given an opportunity and I am very excited by the prospect of playing people that have a long way to go, and that more often than not start off at a place of arrested development, and are hopefully walking towards the light of liberation from what has caused them so much pain.

Aren’t we all Lee Russell, man? Aren’t we all Boyd Crowder on some level? Maybe there’s guys who can play the everyman or the dude in the romantic comedy. But maybe that is farce because that person doesn’t exist. That’s like saying you come from a normal family, and none of us do. I think maybe I am being given an opportunity to play the everyman because I think there is Lee Russell, and Boyd Crowder, and Shane Vendrell, and Venus Van Dam, and Chris Mannix within all of us. Some of us just get to the lesson a lot quicker than these guys do.
More via the link.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wait, is the implication the guy took advantage of the drunk teacher because he was feeling bad about being called an asshole of the other one?

I don't understand this question. She spent the entire episode clearly wanting to jump into bed with him and then showed up in his hotel room.

ryseing

God the cringe is way too strong. It was manageable in the first two eps but I've had to turn away multiple times.

Reviewers said that the first batch of episodes are focused on Gamby, and it was a little tough to sit through this week's cringe-fest. I still laughed a lot, particularly at the reveal of the two students going at it behind the glass. For some reason the turkey leg was cracking me up, too. The creators noted that everyone gets some fleshing out as characters, so I'm looking forward seeing more of the supporting cast in the upcoming weeks. More Goggins, too, please!

“Lock your doors, asshole.”

"It's my cheat day!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom