• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - HBO Comedy - [update: S2 trailer!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Paste Magazine: Georgia Smith Talks Vice Principals, Danny McBride and a Future in Directing
Paste: Now, of course, there’s Vice Principals. How did you come to be a part of this show?

King: I was in the UK working, and I was actually wondering whether I should move back to the UK. I came back to LA. I was going to direct my first music video, and possibly pack up my things and go back to the UK. The morning after I got back, I remember I had almost no sleep and was very jet-lagged, I went and met with Jody Hill. Danny McBride was ill, and was not there. I met with them, and the casting director—I loved the casting director—Sherry Thomas, said to me before I went through that they love improv. I had not really dabbled too much in improv with an American accent. Maybe the jet-lag made me reckless, but I just had fun with it. I don’t know. They must have seen something [they liked]. They have particular ideas of who these people are. They’re very well-realized characters that they create, so there must have been something. I’m slightly too scared to ask what it was about me that hit the right chord.

That led me to get to read with Danny the following day. I remember immediately thinking he hated me because he’s like, “I don’t want to do this scene. We’ve written so much good stuff for this character, let’s just go straight into this scene,” and I was like, ”Oh my god, he’s trying to cut down the audition time already, he doesn’t approve.” He started improv-ing at the end of that second scene, and we just improv-ed for quite a while. He was challenging and I challenged him back. It was really fun! It was also easy, and they were all so cool, and so nice. That’s cool because it brings out good things in people. Sometimes a casting room and audition is very oppressive, and they make you feel very edgy, and that doesn’t bring out the best in me. I was very lucky for who I was reading for.

Paste: The hype for Vice Principals really positioned it as a testosterone-fueled monster-truck rally of a comedy, but there’s definitely a lot of heart and characterization behind all of the conflict on the show.

King: What’s really cool about Vice Principals is that there are some extraordinary characters within it, and the show keeps jumping to all of the different characters to see what kind of mini-dramas they’re all dealing with. It’s a very balanced, interesting, and smartly observed story.

At the surface of it are these two guys vying for power, but it speaks volumes about the human condition. I think a lot of women and men will recognize things in those two characters: relate to things, be appalled by things, be amused by things, be hurt by things that they experience. Every single character is full of so many qualities, and so many ugly traits, and so many vulnerabilities. I don’t want to give too much away, but Snodgrass at the beginning is this very new teacher with probably the purist idea of what that school should be like, and is very much out of her depth. Then as the show progresses, you start seeing other elements to my character. I’m pretty confident it’ll appeal to a lot of different types of people.
More via the link.

cr0w

Old Member
So glad to be hearing more about Walton Goggins. I watched The Shield when it first aired and recently got my wife into it, we just finished the season 5 finale last night. I don't think I've ever seen her so devastated over a TV show.

Yeah, this episode clearly shows that while McBride is ok, its really Walton Goggins that makes the show. Wasn't terrible, but more on the cringe side of comedy and there isn't anything that unique about the loser-selfish-clueless-asshole character that McBride plays, whereas the character Goggins plays reminds me a little of Roger from American Dad, there is just no limit to how insane that character can become and all his little affectations are just funny to watch.

So glad to be hearing more about Walton Goggins. I watched The Shield when it first aired and recently got my wife into it, we just finished the season 5 finale last night. I don't think I've ever seen her so devastated over a TV show.

That's about the only thing on TV that ever actually wrecked me. After that, nothing gets to me anymore.

Salsa

I can't watch this show

I tried twice and I literally pause it due to cringe overloads

hasnt happened in a while

It's a good sign tho

"You think you know about wine, sweetheart? What wine pairs good with TEN DAYS ISS? Huh? Is it a Zinfandel? Is it a FUCKING SHIRAZ?!?"

"Let's see who thinks it's funny for grown men to be hit in the face with meat."

This week's episode was awesome. Not as good as last week's, but McBride was on point as always. I hope that teacher he slept with sticks around. She's funny in one of those rare ways where almost anything she does is funny because it's her doing it. I laughed when she was eating that turkey leg. Pretty much like Steve Little.

McBride is actually a pretty good director as well. I could tell the difference between he and Hill's directing.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't really find this show to be cringe-inducing at all. I was kind of surprised to see that's such a common reaction.

The weird female brunette teacher was my favorite part of this episode. I'm glad she seems to be a recurring character.

Matty77

I think a lot of the issue is, Danny and Jody for awhile have been saying these shows are not comedy's, but dramas that can be funny(paraphrasing they get more in depth) but Eastbound was so laugh out loud funny everyone just thinks of them as comedy writers and they are not.

So far for me the laughs were mostly in the second episode but so far all three episodes are some of their best work, the latest being kind of heartbreaking in a bittersweet way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't understand this question. She spent the entire episode clearly wanting to jump into bed with him and then showed up in his hotel room.
Lol, if anything she took advantage of him. One of my friends guessed that she's going to be this show's Stevie.
I guess so. I just saw it as she was drunk and that he basically had no interest in her whatsoever (the last thing you hear him say is that he thinks she's annoying), and then it just cuts to him waking up beside her. It was just odd that he would end up in that situation.

Although if the point was to make it so that everyone sees him as a creeper with the stalker binder, then I guess the end result is the same.

Bread

Banned
I don't really find this show to be cringe-inducing at all. I was kind of surprised to see that's such a common reaction.

The weird female brunette teacher was my favorite part of this episode. I'm glad she seems to be a recurring character.
When the binder was in sight in the trash can while everyone was in the suite I couldn't sit still, it was too much. Then I settled myself and realized that I want to see shit crash and burn, and I embraced it.

Alpende

I quite liked the episode. It had some cringey moments but Gamby had some fun lines as well. A Walton Gogggins centered episode should be good if they do that. I really liked the first couple of minutes with Lee and Gamby commenting on the principal walking toward them.

Bitanator

Walter Goggins character brings the show together, this episode fell a bit flat, the show works with both of them working off each other. Still pretty funny overall I lost it when they panned to the kids fucking

lunchtoast

Watched ep 2 and 3 yesterday. Enjoying the show so far, like the characters and setting. Walton is killing it as a southern dandy. Not seeing the amount of cringe people are mentioning in here though. While I think Danny McBride always plays a similar asshole character, I think it's fitting here as a Vice Principal. I like how he talks to the students the same way he talks to everyone else.

Scenes I enjoyed was Lee's banter with his mother in law, Gamby getting hit with meat and having to act like nothing happened when he sat down. Lee and Gamby making the faces during the prayer. Renting the hotel suite with full kitchen for I don't know what reason, and just leaving the binder in that tiny trash can.

nilbog21

Banned
Man want sure if the Kenny powers character was going to get old, but this show is absolutely fucking hilarious. The actor playing Lee is killing it, great chemistry

Watched the first episode and it was mostly cringe-worthy as some have said. Danny McBride just isn't my cup of tea or something. I realized afterwards that I can't remember any jokes in the first episode. Like...the whole thing felt like Danny ad-lib calling people names and throwing out curse words. Kind of fucking awful in that department. However, I can't quit something after one episode...I'll give it another episode or two to see if it snags me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A step above episode one but a step down from episode two. I didn't like that they took the focus away from Goggin's magnificent mug, but I understand that the show needs to introduce and flesh out some more of the side characters in order to keep things from feeling too cramped.

I don't really find this show to be cringe-inducing at all.

Same. It doesn't make me cringe at all. ¯\_(?)_/¯

A Walton Gogggins centered episode should be good if they do that.

Yes.

So the episode was good, but it did feel like an abrupt departure from the storyline.

I probably won't mind so much in the context of a season, but when you're waiting a week at a time for episodes, it does seem strange.

nampad

Wow, I am surprised HBO actually showed the kids fucking.

The episode missed Lee. Gamby is such a weird character that I get more annoyed by his shit than thinking it is funny.

OmegaFax

Wow, I am surprised HBO actually showed the kids fucking.

The episode missed Lee. Gamby is such a weird character that I get more annoyed by his shit than thinking it is funny.

Both of the actors looked like they were in their mid-20s. I don't think they were actually kids.

Ok I'm all in on this show. I was so-so on the first episode, but 2 and 3 got me on board. Also I'm now a huge fan of Walton Goggins. Never knew who he was before this year, saw him in Hateful 8 and loved him in that. Love him in this as well. So he's 2/2. What are some other good stuff with him in it?

Ok I'm all in on this show. I was so-so on the first episode, but 2 and 3 got me on board. Also I'm now a huge fan of Walton Goggins. Never knew who he was before this year, saw him in Hateful 8 and loved him in that. Love him in this as well. So he's 2/2. What are some other good stuff with him in it?

The Shield.

Justified

hokahey

I have started rewatching the episodes again. They get repeatedly more funny. And now everyone I know is quoting this show.

"Me...see...Lee..."

"Yup. Fucked. Buttholes."

"Mother fucker thats MY house. That's a mid century sea ranch."

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have started rewatching the episodes again. They get repeatedly more funny. And now everyone I know is quoting this show.

"Me...see...Lee..."

"Yup. Fucked. Buttholes."

"Mother fucker thats MY house. That's a mid century sea ranch."
There is literally no one on earth that says "mother fucker" more satisfyingly than Walton Goggins

Neverfade

He's only in a handful of episodes over 7 seasons, but he's fucking hilarious in Sons of Anarchy.

Vyer

Lol @ the shredded bank statement

Also, I could probably watch variations of 'Gamby asking Lee for a favor at the secret woods meeting' just about every episode

He is awesome. I haven't watched VP yet bhtlan on it soon.

I need GIFs of two things:

1) All of Lee's reaction shots whole tripping
2) All the posts in this thread getting Walton Goggin's name wrong in all kinds of different ways

I did find the scene of Ms. Abott trying to kiss Neal after going down on him hilarious. Him constantly trying to stop her, but she kept trying.

And her "I love you, too..." at the end isn't going to blow up in his face. Not at all.

Bread

Banned
Yup this show is so good. "This is our home now" is one of the funniest lines I can remember in a tv show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom