• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Victim of prank call to Kate Middleton hospital found dead in suspected suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

sol_bad

If you listen to them say it (it was all over the news here when it happened) the live audio was completely disingenuous. Those two hosts (not the same as this nurse/middleton case) are notorious for doing something stupid, making a fake apology then doing it again two months later.

I have no idea what you are talking about.
As soon as they heard that the daughter had been raped you could tell that Kyle and Jacki O were shocked, you can har the tone in their voices change, they were extremely apologetic once the cat was out of the bag.

It was the mum that was stupid for even wanting to ask her daughter about sex on radio.
And it was probably the producers of the show that allowed it to go ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLZzgbLCdFE

I used to listen to the couple a lot and they aren't "notorious" like the media wants us to believe.

ElfArmy177

Is there a hippa like law that can be enforced? Probably not seeing as its international.

They should be thrown In jail for something... Violating hospital private information... Impersonating a political figure? I dunno, something... I guess none of that would stick since its across the world...

its not that they are Australian... Anyone can be a fuck. But who the fuck thinks its a good idea to impersonate a political figure and ask for protected information??

Polari

Obnoxious radio DJs are obnoxious, but they don't deserve to be blamed for the nurse topping herself. They showed poor judgement sure, but the British tabloid storm that ensued would have put far more pressure on things than the call itself.

Good illustration of the kind of reactions that probably contributed to the nurse's suicide.

Deceiving somebody and using a false identity to gain access to otherwise restricted information is a crime, arguing that the hospital should have been more careful even if they thought it was the Queen on the line (an almost sacred figure for many Brits) is fine but it doesn't change the overall picture. It's like claiming I deserve part of the blame when a burglar empties my house because I lack a high end security system.
I don't think the analogy works because nurses are the high end security system. It isn't unusual for nurses to be answering phones, handling patient records, and doing admin work (at least in Canada)... nurses are, more than any other health care professional, tasked with protecting patient confidentiality from strangers, prying family members, or other health care professionals who are not directly working with that patient.

Do we not have a nurse / doctor from the UK on this forum at all? It makes no sense at all that there wouldn't bet some sort of procedure for verifying an identity. Do privacy practices exist there? The US has HIPAA...
I skimmed through this thread here, which has a few UK nurses putting in their two cents:
http://allnurses.com/nursing-news/hospital-reveals-details-800859.html
Is there a hippa like law that can be enforced? Probably not seeing as its international.

They should be thrown In jail for something... Violating hospital private information... Impersonating a political figure? I dunno, something... I guess none of that would stick since its across the world...

its not that they are Australian... Anyone can be a fuck. But who the fuck thinks its a good idea to impersonate a political figure and ask for protected information??

yeah, check the last page. UK has its own privacy laws and I am sure each hospital has its own set of protocols, particularly one that cares for the royal family

Smeghead

The djs are nob ends, but ultimately it was nurses decision top herself. She fucked up at her job and unfortunately it was two of the most 'famous' people in the uk if not the world that were affected.

Unless she had a mental illness, seems like she took the cowards way out. People fuck up at work all the time, just move on. The rags will cling on to the next story in a month or so anyway and it would have been forgotten. Shame.

Grim1ock

Banned
Working in the medical field here in the uk there is alot of and i mean shed load of redlines you don't cross and one of them is Data protection act.

2 idiotic Djs in the name of cheap laughter alongside their numbskull producers taught it would be perfectly fine to air private information of a person on air.

Then you have a hospital which i get the feeling did not give any support to the nurse in question. Probably a few giigles at her expense. Nurse mortified by what happened, nature of the events, the high profile nature of the royal family and what you then have is a nurse who was completely broken down.

Don't feel sorry for those worthless DJs. Feel sorry for the nurse's children and husband. They lost someone precious because some fuckin idiots thought it would be a laugh to prank call a hospital.

And now you have simmering rage and insults built upon nationalistic lines between brits and aussies and you can even see it in gaf here.
What a sad state of affairs

Working in the medical field here in the uk there is alot of and i mean shed load of redlines you don't cross and one of them is Data protection act.

2 idiotic Djs in the name of cheap laughter alongside their numbskull producers taught it would be perfectly fine to air private information of a person on air.

Then you have a hospital which i get the feeling did not give any support to the nurse in question. Probably a few giigles at her expense. Nurse mortified by what happened, nature of the events, the high profile nature of the royal family and what you then have is a nurse who was completely broken down.

Don't feel sorry for those worthless DJs. Feel sorry for the nurse's children and husband. They lost someone precious because some fuckin idiots thought it would be a laugh to prank call a hospital.

And now you have simmering rage and insults built upon nationalistic lines between brits and aussies and you can even see it in gaf here.
What a sad state of affairs

Pretty much. This whole thing is nothing but saddening.

she had 2 kids and a husband.

Why in the fucking hell would you kill yourself of this? People had already moved it, it wasn't a big issue.

Seriously, I don't get how you can leave your kids just like that. Fuck.
It's your own life and all that, but the moment you have kids, you are morally obliged to care for them for the next 14 years at bare minimum.

Edit: As for the DJs, this is sad but they had no way of knowing that the nurse was going to kill herself because of this. Maybe 1 person out of 1000 would, and they were just unlucky.

kyoya

First, what I don't understand is why didn't the hospital have a communications or privacy protocol for the royal family in place? If they did have a communication or security protocol in place why didn't they enforce it with all staff?

Second, is just the whole usage of common sense. I'm absolutely positive the Duchess of Cambridge would have had her own cell phone, or at least her own private hospital room phone line, which other members of the royal family would have access to. Why would two hospital nurses assume that the Queen herself would just ring up the hospital switchboard to connect with a member of her own family? My guess is that each nurse was probably stressed out, wasn't thinking clearly due to exhaustion on the job and just let the call go through.

All in all, I'm pretty positive the queen knows how to use a cell phone and access a contact list.

Kings Edward VII's Hospital has been treating members of the royal family for many years. They still didn't deserve to be pranked. That phone line should have been kept open for real patient needs and emergencies. All hospital staff (nurses and doctors) have to be off the phone dealing with urgent patient emergencies - not stupid childish pranks.

Loofy

The phone call was pretty tame. I got a feeling that maybe the nurse was berated by hospital staff after the incident, instead of saying 'haha jacintha dont worry about it,' they probably yelled at her. And thats what drove her. If thats the case then they should be blamed.
Her being indian I can see it, probably the meek shy immigrant mom type, alot of asian moms are like that(like my mom). They'll take public embarrassment alot harder than the average person. Though taking your life is over the top.

The DJ's will carry the burden of that guilt for the rest of their lives, that punishment enough. The call was stupid prank but they are not responsible for her actions; this moral indignation by the tabloids and overblown reaction is sickening

kitch9

Banned
It amazes me that there is no 007 security force for the royal family to vet shit like this.. All calls for information go via them and nobody else....

Maybe I watch too many films I dunno.

NomarTyme

Fuck up. I heard about this prank on Adam Carrolla. Somebody had to be fired and apparently it was the one that took the call.

I don't think that the radio show hosts should be charged with anything besides a minor crime, but I do think that there should be laws against prank calling hospitals.

The DJ's will carry the burden of that guilt for the rest of their lives, that punishment enough. The call was stupid prank but they are not responsible for her actions; this moral indignation by the tabloids and overblown reaction is sickening

Couldn't agree more with this.

I think when it comes to prank calls, hospitals, law enforcement and fire brigade should be off limits. This whole terrible affair aside, you waste people's important time. I'd put it on the same level as fake 999 calls.

Dead Man

I think when it comes to prank calls, hospitals, law enforcement and fire brigade should be off limits. This whole terrible affair aside, you waste people's important time. I'd put it on the same level as fake 999 calls.

Exactly. I don't think most radio stations would prank call the police or fire departments, so why is a hospital okay?

hirokazu

I'm not sure they deserve to be thrown in jail? The two are pretty devastated themselves after news broke that the nurse killed herself.

Even though they were still gloating about their massive success while people shook their heads, they still never intended for somebody to end up dead.

These pranks are both amusing and stupid, I didn't think it was a good idea in the first place but it was otherwise taken rather lightly even by the royal family (at least publicly). Nobody really could've foreseen what ended up happening.

Zaptruder

Banned
These two DJs need to kill themselves...

So that society will come to understand that the tragedy that has unfolded is merely a symptom of an unhealthy society that is 1. celebrity obsessed, 2. So quick and thoughtless to demonize for what ultimately is a mild judgement error. 3. So lacking in compassion.

I'm not actually suggesting they kill themselves in case you're trying to take offense. You compassionless monster you.

jimi_dini

They were fucking stupid. I mean if the nurse "just" lost her job because of this "prank", it would have been funny, right right? No it wouldn't have been.

How fucking stupid are those 2 DJs? If they don't get any actual legal punishment because of this, they will do something like that again in 2 months.

And why is this even called a prank call? It wasn't a real prank call. It was faking a phone call to get medical information of a famous person.

Skeyser

Yeah, there's nothing funny about "pranking" an hospital to get private information. It's closer to terrible journalism or paparazzi than it is to a prank.

Dead Man

No laws have been broken.

I wouldn't rush to judgement on that.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-10/holmes-an-unforeseeable-but-not-unaccountable-tragedy/4418942
The equivalent clause of the Australian Commercial Radio Codes of Practice is much less wide-ranging. The voice of an 'identifiable person' that has been recorded without the person's knowledge, Code 6.1( b) says, cannot be broadcast unless:

...that person has subsequently, but prior to the broadcast, expressed consent to the broadcast of the words.

As Wendy Harmer has pointed out, that clause gives rise to the traditional 'gotcha' moment in the prank call routine on FM radio - the moment when the host says 'Ha ha! Gotcha! This is Charlie Darley from Mix 95 FM'; and the 'victim' says 'Oh no! Charlie Darley?'; and Charlie says 'Yeah! Now, you don't mind if we put this to air, do ya mate?'; and the victim, like a good sport, says 'Oh well, I was a mug, but I guess not...'

That's the moment you have to have, to get around Code 6.

In this case, it didn't happen. Austereo are now claiming that they telephoned the hospital multiple times, but failed to get through before the broadcast. But why even bother to call? There is simply no way that the hospital would or could have given permission for the call to be broadcast. Since it concerned one of the hospital's patients, its clear duty was to refuse.

Yet 2DayFM's lawyers and management listened to the prank call, after it was recorded and before it was broadcast, and gave it the go-ahead. Austereo CEO Rhys Holleran insists that the station has broken no law and no code.

hirokazu

How fucking stupid are those 2 DJs? If they don't get any actual legal punishment because of this, they will do something like that again in 2 months.

What the two of them did wasn't illegal. What the radio station did in deciding to run the recording of a private conversation without the knowledge or permission of those recorded is and is subject to investigation by the authorities.

hym

Banned
What the two of them did wasn't illegal. What the radio station did in deciding to run the recording of a private conversation without the knowledge or permission of those recorded is and is subject to investigation by the authorities.

They did commit a crime by prank calling a hospital and providing a false identity when the only information the hospital could potentially supply in return was restricted, this is identity fraud 101, illegal pretty much everywhere.

The radio hosts most likely were instructed to make the call by their producer so they can continue to play ignorant and he will be the target of legal charges in that particular matter, but the Australian radio station now publicly claiming nothing illegal happened (including broadcasting a secret recording without permission) is preposterous.

They do seem remorseful but completely incapable of accepting responsibility for how the prank went (if they just wantdd to be hung up on why air the entire call or stay on the line?) and the decision to put it on the air. I can't stand people like this. Either they are lying simpletons who do not recognize the power they have and are incapable of critical thought or they are simply trying to save face now by diluting their responsibility and passing the buck to some nebulous "process" that neither of them can even describe. I don't hold them responsible for the suicide, but it annoys me that they won't accept responsibility for the prank itself... They act as if they are powerless cogs in a machine. Guys: it is your show. Exercise a little brain power when it comes I the show's content and take an active role into what goes on air.

xenist

Isn't lying about your identity in order to acquire personal information fraud?

Dead Man

Isn't lying about your identity in order to acquire personal information fraud?

In the piece I posted suggests the privacy sections only apply to news and current affairs programs. Entertainment can fuck people privacy royally.
And what about privacy? After all, Code 2.3 (d) of the Commercial Radio Codes of Practice states that a licensee must ensure that it...

... does not use material relating to a person's personal or private affairs, or which invades an individual's privacy, unless there is a public interest in broadcasting such information.

Well, it would be hard to argue that there was an overriding public interest in this particular invasion of the Duchess's privacy. All too obviously, the call was for the entertainment of 2DayFM's listeners, and for no other purpose.

But ironically, the fact that 2Day FM's Hot 30 show is pure entertainment is what will get them off, because Code 2 applies exclusively to 'news and current affairs programs'. That includes most of the talkback programs on the AM band; it doesn't include the jolly japers on FM. For some bizarre reason, there is no obligation on entertainment programs to respect the privacy of those they broadcast about.

leadbelly

Banned
I clicked the link and read the whole article and I'm still super confused. I must have missed a previous story or something.

Yeah. I kept hearing about this story through that day and wondering, "why the hell is this national news?". It wasn't really worded the same way as the thread title. Just basically a nurse had died from that hospital and that she was a victim of a prank call once. It wasn't made clear the two were related, or that she had committed suicide.

It's a sad story of course, but then people die every day. I just couldn't understand why this had made national news rather than remain simply local news. I was listening to Mark Kermode on Radio 5 and the show kept being interrupted by updates on this news story. You'd think the Queen had died.

hym

Banned
In the piece I posted suggests the privacy sections only apply to news and current affairs programs. Entertainment can fuck people privacy royally.

That only means the Australian Communications and Media Authority can't touch them and their broadcast license isn't at risk, they are still liable for fraud and disregard for privacy.

D.Lo

These two DJs need to kill themselves...

So that society will come to understand that the tragedy that has unfolded is merely a symptom of an unhealthy society that is 1. celebrity obsessed, 2. So quick and thoughtless to demonize for what ultimately is a mild judgement error. 3. So lacking in compassion.

I'm not actually suggesting they kill themselves in case you're trying to take offense. You compassionless monster you.
Yes. It wasn't the prank that killed the nurse, but the continued manufactured reverence for a class of leeches, leeches that are the last remnants of a brutal feudal rule that should have no place in any modern society.

Zaptruder

Banned

They sound like dipshits. Like most people in australian commercial media employ.

But standing by the points I made; finding scapegoats and people to blame is a pretty vicious part of human behaviour and culture that should be more critically examined in light of this suicide; not this dumb, but exceedingly typical and except in this case, harmless sort of radio prank tomfoolery done by many before them and likely many after them.

mantidor

Yeah this was awful.

Private medical information is very sensible information, but this was even more than that, it was a matter of state. The president of Venezuela recently admitted to his cancer going back, even thought everyone suspected those news were definitely not handled lightly and they took some time to be disclosed.

Here we are talking about the future ruler of England, I would be not surprised at all if she was fired as a result of the prank, which might have pushed her to suicide, and now the hospital is covering the issue.

You may be pro or against monarchy, you might think is stupid or anything, but for now that is the system in England, and Australia for that matter, so pranking about it seems naive at best. Would people do pranks to president Obama in the US? I doubt it.

Draxal

They sound like dipshits. Like most people in australian commercial media employ.

But standing by the points I made; finding scapegoats and people to blame is a pretty vicious part of human behaviour and culture that should be more critically examined in light of this suicide; not this dumb, but exceedingly typical and except in this case, harmless sort of radio prank tomfoolery done by many before them and likely many after them.

Fraud like this in the medical practice is nothing but harmless, HIPAA violations in America (and their equivalent laws in other countries) are a huge deal.

Shambles

Yes. It wasn't the prank that killed the nurse, but the continued manufactured reverence for a class of leeches, leeches that are the last remnants of a brutal feudal rule that should have no place in any modern society.

Geez, somehow this thread is getting more stupid than the media frenzy around something like this.

Zaptruder

Banned
Fraud like this in the medical practice is nothing but harmless, HIPAA violations in America (and their equivalent laws in other countries) are a huge deal.

Hindsight is 20/20.

If a death had not resulted, I doubt many people would give too much of a shit that the law was (or wasn't in this case) broken. Maybe some people, but you certainly wouldn't be here in this thread using the 'law has been broken' justification as a way of shaming these guys (because it was a dumb prank, where no one got hurt).

Of course these two are thrown under the bus by the media; nobody cares the amount of shit thats reported in the news thats private, invasive celeb-obsessed garbage thats questionably obtained until somebody dies because of it. Then they get to turn around and act all high-and-mighty like the defenders of moral justice, and the public still eats that shit up for breakfast. You do NOT need to showboat these two on T.V crying to sate the public's need for blood. its nothing to do with us, have a private moment with their family.

Draxal

Hindsight is 20/20.

If a death had not resulted, I doubt many people would give too much of a shit that the law was (or wasn't in this case) broken. Maybe some people, but you certainly wouldn't be here in this thread using the 'law has been broken' justification as a way of shaming these guys (because it was a dumb prank, where no one got hurt).

You are 100% wrong, small violations are what end up turning into big violations in this field. As someone working on the field in the periphery (.ie I never handle PHI), we are constantly reminded about this.

Zaptruder

Banned
You are 100% wrong, small violations are what end up turning into big violations in this field. As someone working on the field in the periphery (.ie I never handle PHI), we are constantly reminded about this.

You think we would be having continued international media incidents over this shit without the death?

Well, I guess we're just going to have to disagree there.

hirokazu

They did commit a crime by prank calling a hospital and providing a false identity when the only information the hospital could potentially supply in return was restricted, this is identity fraud 101, illegal pretty much everywhere.

The radio hosts most likely were instructed to make the call by their producer so they can continue to play ignorant and he will be the target of legal charges in that particular matter, but the Australian radio station now publicly claiming nothing illegal happened (including broadcasting a secret recording without permission) is preposterous.

I suppose. I don't really know how fraud laws work in relation to prank calls. I'm sure the hosts will argue like they already have that they expected to be hung up on.

I think in the end, 2DayFM will likely be punished and they'll let the hosts off with a slap on the wrist because they're equally devastated (or so we're led to believe!)

The radio station's handling of the whole thing is far from satisfactory to me. "Oh we tried to contact them five times but couldn't get through, that's good enough, right?" No, dummy, if you can't get consent, you shouldn't broadcast it.

And then trying to take control of media fallout by granting sympathetic interviews to Today Tonight and A Current Affair rather than an open press conference or at least a reputable news outlet. I feel bad for the hosts in this, but that just makes it look like a scripted act to me. Who knows how genuine the interviews are.

For the record, I didn't watch the interviews.

There's absolutely no way anyone could know the poor girl would kill herself but they should have known the tabloid culture would have swallowed her whole regardless. They are ruthless.

Police, Fire, Hospitals should be absolutely off limits for radio jockeys to prank.

I'll blame them for a shitty prank that violated someone's privacy and getting the girl trouble. But it's hard for me to say they should have known she would kill herself.

I think the media should turn some of that righteous indignation and moral authority in on themselves. They're the reason everyone is so obsessed with the royals.

Forever

Banned
I heard that they cancelled the show so that's good. As long as these two aren't shuffled around and restored to a position where they can inflict harm again that would be a decent outcome.

Acheron

Banned
It amazes me that there is no 007 security force for the royal family to vet shit like this.. All calls for information go via them and nobody else....

Maybe I watch too many films I dunno.

Who really gives a shit about the royal family's privacy? I mean it may be worth the expense and governmental ease to keep them around, but it's not like they're actually all that important.

Fusebox

Banned
Of course these two are thrown under the bus by the media; nobody cares the amount of shit thats reported in the news thats private, invasive celeb-obsessed garbage thats questionably obtained until somebody dies because of it. Then they get to turn around and act all high-and-mighty like the defenders of moral justice, and the public still eats that shit up for breakfast. You do NOT need to showboat these two on T.V crying to sate the public's need for blood. its nothing to do with us, have a private moment with their family.

Well said, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom