• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vita] Gravity Rush/Daze - 15 min gameplay video

Overall thoughts? If you had to give it a score?

Overall, I've been really pleased with the gameplay, world/level design, story, art direction, music, amount of content... It's not a slouch in any serious regard. One could only complain about some pop-in of distant objects due to the long draw distances of the environment itself. There are also occasional hiccups in frame rate when streaming in new areas of the map. These are only minor annoyances, and don't detract from the game.

I used to enjoy FF games for their stories, but that hasn't been the case for 10 years with FFX. Gravity Rush, on the other hand, keeps you engaged with twists and turns, bending time and space. It's presented in a manga style in which you can see the characters in diorama fashion by tilting the system. The story is well-written and keeps you guessing, eager to see what comes next.

The best part of Gravity Rush, though, has to be flying through gravity manipulation. It's a freaking lucid dream. Alighting on that far-off perch or landing a gravity kick on an enemy just feel right. The multiple, expansive environments are filled with nooks and crannies to explore, and people and places to find. Numerous challenge missions allow you to compete for high scores in obstacle course races or enemy battles.

In short, it's the complete package that I don't regret getting for a second. If only the Vita had more such polished, original IPs.

I gave it 5 stars on the PlayStation Store.

Ken

The best part of Gravity Rush, though, has to be flying through gravity manipulation. It's a freaking lucid dream.

Yes, it feels so perfect. I leveled up my ability for decreased energy consumption while in gravity mode and my time spent flying around is even more wonderful.

Overall, I've been really pleased with the gameplay, world/level design, story, art direction, music, amount of content... It's not a slouch in any serious regard. One could only complain about some pop-in of distant objects due to the long draw distances of the environment itself. There are also occasional hiccups in frame rate when streaming in new areas of the map. These are only minor annoyances, and don't detract from the game.

I used to enjoy FF games for their stories, but that hasn't been the case for 10 years with FFX. Gravity Rush, on the other hand, keeps you engaged with twists and turns, bending time and space. It's presented in a manga style in which you can see the characters in diorama fashion by tilting the system. The story is well-written and keeps you guessing, eager to see what comes next.

The best part of Gravity Rush, though, has to be flying through gravity manipulation. It's a freaking lucid dream. Alighting on that far-off perch or landing a gravity kick on an enemy just feel right. The multiple, expansive environments are filled with nooks and crannies to explore, and people and places to find. Numerous challenge missions allow you to compete for high scores in obstacle course races or enemy battles.

In short, it's the complete package that I don't regret getting for a second. If only the Vita had more such polished, original IPs.

I gave it 5 stars on the PlayStation Store.

Damn, that sounds awesome
And a fun and well-written story full of twists? Perfect!

Where's that official thread Takao D:

Gameblog.fr Import Review

+ outstanding visual design
+ beautiful comic books
+ a lot of missions
+ the music, perfect
+ insane imaginary sequences
+ great ending
+ the feeling of living an incredible adventure
+ flying in the air is so exhilarating

- the useless gyro controls
- the loadings can be a bit annoying
- the camera during bosses

5/5 (editor's pick)

Never has pre-ordering a Vita felt as right as it does now.

Takao

Banned
Cheesemeister translated the first chapter of the comic, which you can read here (warning, the images are quite large). They'll be posted in the OT once that's complete.

I asked Duckroll for the okay, and since it was a promo thing Sony gave out for free on their site he said it shouldn't be a problem.

odhiex

with all of these great reviews so far... I am pleased :)

Gravity Daze was already been my most wanted game on the system, anyway

All done! Now, to wait for the DLC to show up...

2012_02_25_230726.jpg

They're just trying to save space on the interface. Five inch screen and all.

But HEY! How are you guys getting the game already? Importing? And if so, how is it in English?

I live in Japan, have a Japanese PSN account (Cheesemeister3k), and downloaded the game when it was released here. My system's user interface is set to English; I could've just as easily set it to Japanese. Apparently the trophies were already translated. The game itself is all in Japanese.

Mik2121

But HEY! How are you guys getting the game already? Importing? And if so, how is it in English?
Same as Cheesemeister, though I didn't buy the game via PSN (even tho my account is Japanese too), I just went to a store and bought both the Vita and the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Same with Rayman. I've imported the US copy here, but have my system in Japanese and all the trophies are translated despite the fact the game itself is coming out in April.

Gacha-pin

RANDOM – But how come the dates/times don’t show up for your trophies? Do they show when you tap each individual trophy?

It's odd but if you browse the trophies under the Playstation Network tab, not vita, the dates and times show up.

Same with Rayman. I've imported the US copy here, but have my system in Japanese and all the trophies are translated despite the fact the game itself is coming out in April.

How much did it cost? $25?

Alucrid

Banned
I love everything about this game except the colors. It just looks so...dull

From the video it looked like it was very easy to get confused while in mid-air, is it much easier to keep track of when you're playing the game and not just watching a video?

Ken

My Polish Gravity Daze review.
It's mainly praise but I point out some flaws:
- Texture pop-up
- Dodge on touch
- No challenge retry
- Camera sometimes goes crazy
I'd throw in lengthy load times and the game "freezing" up for a few seconds if you travel across areas faster than the game can load. I had no problems with touch dodging though, and it became quite fun after getting used to it. Trying to control gravity sliding with gyro, on the other hand, was pretty tough.

@Alucrid: it gets confusing when trying to fly out of tight spots; the camera seems to go crazy in those situations. Otherwise, the camera is great most other times.

Cloudy

Banned
From the video it looked like it was very easy to get confused while in mid-air, is it much easier to keep track of when you're playing the game and not just watching a video?

The demo I played was set in a sort of closed area. Not open spaces like in the video. It played fine though

Oh there's more vibrant colors in some areas?

Ken

The demo I played was set in a sort of closed area. Not open spaces like in the video. It played fine though

Oh there's more vibrant colors in some areas?
Yes, a lot of vibrant color in some of the later areas.

I'll try getting another random challenge video up today since I have some free time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
For those who played through it:

How long did it take you? Main quest + 100% times separately if possible.

Luigi87

Jealous of those who've played it, decided to do the system reset to a HK account for the demo.

Short demo, but day freaking one. Was very fun.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hadn't even given this game the time of day since, by the name alone, I had dismissed it as a sequel to some forgettable PSN DL game I think I got for free as recompense for the PSN hacking debacle.

Imagine my astonishment when I finally bothered to look into the game somewhat.
Now, of course, I'm chagrined to note that the game is still months away.

So I've done a bit of reading up, and apparently there are some action-rpg elements to it? How does that work, exactly?

May is way too far away. :(

Ken

So I've done a bit of reading up, and apparently there are some action-rpg elements to it? How does that work, exactly?

RPG elements? There's an abilities leveling system where you collect gems to level them up; each skill or attribute has multiple levels and additional levels are unlocked as you move through the story. You can upgrade things like your HP, how slowly your energy is consumed while in gravity mode, or the damage of your abilities.

Pachimari

Spent 1-2 hours downloading (because I had to create HK account, backing up etc.) the demo, took 5 minutes to get through. My most awaited PS Vita game anyway, looks majestic. :)

Top Bottom