• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Garvin (Bend Studios): "We needed a good plan to pull this off. We quickly realized we couldn't be a globetrotting Uncharted. Each new local would require new texture sets and models/assets and we didn't have the time or resources... too risky. Instead, we decided to focus our production energies on just a few locations, so we used Uncharted 2: Among Thieves as our quality and visual bar and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune as our location reference. Naughty Dog also likes to introduce new technology in every game they bring out, so we decided for environment graphics, we would try to achieve PS3-like water."

So you're saying that the main difference between Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 is the fact that it has more locations? I don't think that's why people liked it more. I've said it before and I'll say it over and over and over again: the masses who love Uncharted 2 generally love it because it has more action, more gunfights, less puzzles, and less exploration. So if you were saying "oh, they couldn't make Golden Abyss like Uncharted 2 in terms of varied locales", well then... my mistake. But if you were saying they couldn't make it like Uncharted 2 at launch in terms of core gameplay and pacing (more shooting/gunfights, less puzzles/exploration) because of launch window? I still call bullshit.

Shahed

In hindsight I would have gladly taken that instead of the bundle that came with assassin's creed and PS all stars.

Not liking AC:L? I started it briefly and it seemed okay, but stopped playing once I heard of the bugs. Waiting for a patch.

And VLR is fantastic. Best game on Vita, although Gravity Rush is pretty good as well.

Derrick01

Banned
Not liking AC:L? I started it briefly and it seemed okay, but stopped playing once I heard of the bugs. Waiting for a patch.

And VLR is fantastic. Best game on Vita, although Gravity Rush is pretty good as well.

Nah I didn't like it much at all. I posted my "review" of it a few pages ago. The save bug patch is out now though so the worst bug is gone.

Takao

Banned
save for later
Metal Gear Solid [tentative]
Konami
Compatible with PlayStation®Vita
US, No Region Protection / Action Adventure
Announced - Pre-orders opening soon

Took from Play-asia. could this mean something or am I delusional?

You're delusional. Play-Asia has listings for a bunch of the PlayStation Meeting 2011 tech demos. There's a listing for Lost Planet on Vita, and we all know Capcom hates this platform.

spannicus

You're delusional. Play-Asia has listings for a bunch of the PlayStation Meeting 2011 tech demos. There's a listing for Lost Planet on Vita, and we all know Capcom hates this platform.

:( you hurt me. I'm seriously pissed at android and iOS gaming seriously pissed.

VanWinkle

So you're saying that the main difference between Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 is the fact that it has more locations? I don't think that's why people liked it more. I've said it before and I'll say it over and over and over again: the masses who love Uncharted 2 generally love it because it has more action, more gunfights, less puzzles, and less exploration. So if you were saying "oh, they couldn't make Golden Abyss like Uncharted 2 in terms of varied locales", well then... my mistake. But if you were saying they couldn't make it like Uncharted 2 at launch in terms of core gameplay and pacing (more shooting/gunfights, less puzzles/exploration) because of launch window? I still call bulls***.

I was talking about the more and varied locations myself, but okay. And yes, I would say that the environments was the single biggest difference (not the only one mind you). The gunplay was vastly improved in Uncharted 2, so it made having more shooting okay in my book. That's not a problem in Golden Abyss. They can probably improve the stick aiming (seeing as how Unit 13's is much better with the same sticks) but they have the fantastic gyro fine-tuning. Uncharted 2 may have had less exploration and puzzles, but still had its fair share, and the parts where you didn't have any shooting to do (the pure platforming and exploration of the ice caves, and the village) outclassed the parts in Drake's Fortune in my opinion.

But now we're getting off topic. Like I said, I was referring to more locales and more varied environments, which seemed to be what you were also talking about from what I quoted from you. I'd HATE to see yet another Uncharted game with just jungles and temples. I loved it in Drake's Fortune, and appreciated it for what it was in Golden Abyss, but it's time to move on from that.

STG

Hmmm, I have Ubuntu installed on my netbook and run FF/Chrome, so I think there are linux packages available... this way you don't have to betray your Opera by disguising it as IE. ;)
you don't understand, of course linux has chrome and firefox, but they don't work with that website

I was talking about the more and varied locations myself, but okay. And yes, I would say that the environments was the single biggest difference (not the only one mind you). The gunplay was vastly improved in Uncharted 2, so it made having more shooting okay in my book. That's not a problem in Golden Abyss. They can probably improve the stick aiming (seeing as how Unit 13's is much better with the same sticks) but they have the fantastic gyro fine-tuning. It may have had less exploration and puzzles, but still had its fair share, and the parts where you didn't have any shooting to do (the pure platforming and exploration of the ice caves and the village) outclassed the parts in Drake's Fortune in my opinion.

But now we're getting off topic. Like I said, I was referring to more locales and more varied environments, which seemed to be what you were also talking about from what I quoted from you. I'd HATE to see yet another Uncharted game with just jungles and temples. I loved it in Drake's Fortune, and appreciated it for what it was in Golden Abyss, but it's time to move on from that.

Ok, in that vein, yes, I'm fine with a sequel being in different locales. My main gripe when everyone starts lauding Uncharted 2 is that it's a generic cover-based TPS instead of the TPS exploration/adventure game with a Treasure Hunter setting that has areas where gunfights occur -- that's what I fear for the series when we talk about a sequel on Vita. :)

you don't understand, of course linux has chrome and firefox, but they don't work with that website

This is what I was trying to figure out.
Holy fucking balls, Sony. It takes you like 5 years to make a PSN store and when you do, it's IE only? You couldn't make this shit up! :lol

kliklik

Banned
Uncharted Golden Abyss

+ The actual game is pretty solid too. While from a story, writing and pacing perspective it's obvious it was made by a B team and not Naughty Dog, I would still put this above Uncharted 1 on the series ranking (3 > 2 > GA > 1). It'd be unfair to criticize Bend for not being as good as Naughty Dog for those things because the truth is 98% of ALL developers aren't as good as ND at writing and pacing.

- Waaaay too many gimmicks and too many are forced. While I admit that I like the Vita's touchscreen, I don't necessarily want to have to use it to access things like the journal or reloading my weapon.

Wow I didn't even know you could reload your weapon with touch controls...

I'm enjoying the game. The art is amazing. Sometimes I just stand there admiring a wall or a rock. I wasn't too bothered with touch controls. The only thing I actually had a problem with was the story.

SPOILERS

They shoehorned a completely unnecessary romance into this. I don't care if this is supposed to be a prequel - it's not apparent where it fits in the timeline from the game - and I don't want to see Nate kissing anyone but Elena and walking off into the sunset with this new woman like he just found the love of his life. The romance also just did not develop naturally. It felt more like, "oh, wow, it's the end of the game! Nate/you won so we better reward him by giving him a female prize."

The second thing that bothered me about the story was how they absolutely destroyed this world heritage site that would have been invaluable to archaeologists. I don't care that there was an environmental hazard. Archaeologists can deal with it. Even if you can't do anything with the gold atm, the wall carvings and paintings are of immense value.

I know that Drake destroys pretty much everything he gets into in the game series, but here, it wasn't the enemies responsible for the destruction through their greed. It was Drake and Chase. It just frustrated me so much that this place was perfectly safe and preserved for centuries until Drake came along.

Assassin's Creed Liberation

- There's not as much side content as the other games, but most of the side content that is there is lame busy work. It's like they looked at AC3 and said "we need to copy what they're doing". Collectibles appear to do nothing outside of getting trohpies too.

- If you're going to make me do these awful full sync sequences (please get rid of these in AC games Ubi!) then at least tell me what they fucking are when the mission starts. Too many missions had hidden sync objectives and there's no way to check during the mission, only after.

That's just not true. You can see all optional objectives during each mission. iirc it's on the game map. You can press the drop-down arrow. I really enjoyed trying for 100%. It wasn't hard - just a little extra challenge. I thought it was well implemented.

I also really liked the collectible pages. I was surprised how enjoyable it was to get these pieces of the story out of order and try to figure out what happened and who you shouldn't trust. I really think they should have been voice acted though, and an indicator to tell you which page was new.

Also, I thought the Citizen E stuff was a brilliant idea, how after you killed him, entries into your character database would be updated and Templar/Abstergo bias and censorship would be stripped away.

Shahed

Nah I didn't like it much at all. I posted my "review" of it a few pages ago. The save bug patch is out now though so the worst bug is gone.

Yeah checked your 'reviews' and largely agree with you, except on the gyro controls part. Thought it worker really well in Uncharted while hating the rest of the gimmicks. Gravity Rush also felt hard to control until i started using the gyro, and then it felt natural once i got used to it.

PS All Stars is actually a pretty fun game to play, but it completely fails everywhere else. Here's my opinions on it.

Motorstorm in really addicting. Beating your friends time's is where the fun is at, and pushing just to do that little bit better. Saying that I never played it on Vita, and did it all on PS3.

And forced gimmicks can die in any game

VanWinkle

Ok, in that vein, yes, I'm fine with a sequel being in different locales. My main gripe when everyone starts lauding Uncharted 2 is that it's a generic cover-based TPS instead of the TPS exploration/adventure game with a Treasure Hunter setting that has areas where gunfights occur -- that's what I fear for the series when we talk about a sequel on Vita. :)

I think it's a bit disingenuous (okay, a LOT disingenuous) to called Uncharted 2 a "generic cover-based TPS". There's so much more charm, character, and adventure in it than a game like Gears of War. Keep in mind cover was absolutely CRUCIAL in Drake's Fortune as well, and parts like the ice cave in Uncharted 2 were more pure adventure than a big majority of Drake's Fortune. I think you may be misremembering how much gunplay was in Drake's Fortune.

kiyomi

Trialling Music Unlimited. It's really good.

Although it did try to tell me that KARA released an album full of African folk music.

The real answer for Vita, at least in Japan, is Monster Hunter... bu that's not going to happen. As awesome as Soul Sacrifice looks, I don't know that it combined with RO and PSO2 will be enough to convince Japanese consumers to buy a Vita in addition to a Wii U/3DS for Monster Hunter 4.

Some sort of "back to classic survival horror" RE game might do something in all regions.
A metroidvania game might also help, a la Symphony of the Night.

MH or DQ or maybe a mainline FF (series in serious decline) are the only franchises that could make the Vita start selling gangbusters over night. Had Sony secured DQVIIR on Vita, its weekly sales would be a lot higher than they are now and would explode during launch. Vita's problems in Japan is lack of JP centric franchises and outside of BN, no one else is really giving it any support.

Regarding Soul Sacrifice, if it does as well as the best selling MH clone out there (GE, which did > 500K in Japan for GE and GEB IIRC), then it'll be a major, major success and SCEJ best new IP since PS1. Definitely don't expect 4 million like MH or even 1 million. Hell, I don't even expect 500K. I think SS will be a successful new game at ~200-300k sold.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Gyro aiming is the best thing about Uncharted GA, so I'm surprised anyone could be strongly against it.

They shoehorned a completely unnecessary romance into this. I don't care if this is supposed to be a prequel - it's not apparent where it fits in the timeline from the game - and I don't want to see Nate kissing anyone but Elena and walking off into the sunset with this new woman like he just found the love of his life. The romance also just did not develop naturally. It felt more like, "oh, wow, it's the end of the game! Nate/you won so we better reward him by giving him a female prize."

Did they really develop the romance? I don't remember any kissing. I felt it was more like a platonic romance that never developed. He should ditch Elena anyway, Chloe 4 life.

Also I started to push my way through the last bit of persona 3 portable. Christ this is a long game. I had a feeling
that after the 12th shadow there would be a whole load more to do. And christ there sure is. However I finally got the the last month, I let death live and am scaling the tower to fight NYX. If you do kill death does the game just end there or something?

Old post is old, but I didn't see it answered:
Yes, you get the game's bad ending right then and there. It's worth seeing if you still have a save there, otherwise YouTube it I guess.

Sid

Bullshit. Launch game is not an excuse for not changing temple exploration to more areas with tons of enemies and cover if that's what the demographics wanted. I'm going with Bend made the Uncharted game they wanted to and that's that.
Sure but asset variety would drive up the dev costs and sony wasn't sure how UC would sell on a portable IMO,i agree with you.

kliklik

Banned
Did they really develop the romance? I don't remember any kissing. I felt it was more like a platonic romance that never developed. He should ditch Elena anyway, Chloe 4 life.

They near-kissed at the end. Sully interrupted. She says that he hasn't come out of this empty-handed (aka. he won her and now they're going to live happily ever after.)

And that's exactly the problem: it wasn't a developed romance. It was just shoehorned in at the end.

Chloe is awesome, but I really like how they don't make it a Betty-Veronica-Archie thing. It's obvious he cares for Elena. And he needs her steady source of income considering how he keeps sanctimoniously destroying his major archaeological finds.

Also, Chase
blowing up the place with Dante inside
was psychopathic. I would not be in the mood for romance after that, especially not with her.

Sid

I really only think, from that list, GT, MGS, KH, and FF could bring the interest you want. I mean, obviously VII HD would be huge wherever. The other stuff on your list is pretty niche and probably relevant to Sony fans. Nobody is gonna line up to get a Vita after Medievil comes out.
Gow is niche?

Gyro aiming is the best thing about Uncharted GA, so I'm surprised anyone could be strongly against it.

I'm not strongly against it's inclusion, but I didn't find it useful at all, especially not as I expected to after the way it's been recommended in these threads.

So wrong.

I haven't finished U:GA but Chase is an awful love interest so far.

Agreed and agreed.

Sure but asset variety would drive up the dev costs and sony wasn't sure how UC would sell on a portable IMO.

Yeah, I'll agree to that. Again, I was making the assumption we were talking about the Uncharted 2 pacing/focus on being a shooter when you said it didn't happen cause it was a launch title. My mistake.

All the new characters in GA were awful. =/

Yes.

Gow is niche?

:lol
Yeah, I missed that. Good catch.

They near-kissed at the end. Sully interrupted. She says that he hasn't come out of this empty-handed (aka. he won her and now they're going to live happily ever after.)

And that's exactly the problem: it wasn't a developed romance. It was just shoehorned in at the end.

Chloe is awesome, but I really like how they don't make it a Betty-Veronica-Archie thing. It's obvious he cares for Elena. And he needs her steady source of income considering how he keeps sanctimoniously destroying his major archaeological finds.

Also, Chase
blowing up the place with Dante inside
was psychopathic. I would not be in the mood for romance after that, especially not with her.

I hate Chloe.
And didn't they kind of start with an Archie-Betty-Veronica thing because Uncharted 2 starts out with Chloe and Nate in a bedroom as if something's going on there and he didn't stay with Elena after the original game? This way they were able to show "character development" or something where he realizes he cares about her when he thinks she's dead and then she's not so they go off into the sunset and get married or whatever at the end of Uncharted 2?

Really? I thought Chase and Dante were better than whoever the villains were in UC3. Dante was a venomous jerk, which worked well.
Marlowe was probably the best villain ever in the series. Talbot was good too.
And the other characters that got some focus in Uncharted 3 were good too (Charlie Cutter).

zroid

Banned
He should ditch Elena anyway, Chloe 4 life.

2828484845_78c3e533aa_o.gif

Really? I thought Chase and Dante were better than whoever the villains were in UC3. Dante was a venomous jerk, which worked well.

Totally agree.

I love how every 50 pages this thread turns into an uncharted thread. After all only the Vitabros have played all the 5 uncharted games :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
bbbbbut he doesn't beep or anything

He is just a bit introverted... some people are like that. Its a bit rude to discriminate someone because he is less outgoing than others, dont you think?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu348/yezzir978/2828484845_78c3e533aa_o.gif

Seriously. If the next Uncharted isn't "Sully, Drake, and Elena Ocean's 11" I'm going to be pissed. They are what sold me on UC1. We need more of their banter and while it was nice seeing Elena in 3 with Sully and Drake again, it just wasn't the same.

kliklik

Banned

His long monologue at the end about how it's ok to kill little old ladies because they're close to death anyway was a bit over the top in "oh btw, I'm the bad guy fyi". I really expected him to go on to say that kittens taste good with ketchup, but not as good as barbecued babies.

kiyomi

He is just a bit introverted... some people are like that. Its a bit rude to discriminate someone because he is less outgoing than others, dont you think?

I can discriminate if I want to. I mean, he's dirty on the outside, dirty on the inside, his tyres are flat and he probably reeks of second hand smoke.

Come on jeep, get yo shit together son

OmegaZero

Oh look, Uncharted discussion is back.

Speaking of which, I have yet to play it.
Too many games to complete before I can try it
or LPB

Sid

No, but I think people are talking about driving sales. More specifically driving sales in Japan which GoW wouldn't do.

I'd love one to be honest
GOW is a system selling franchise,i don't think he was talking just about Japan.

or LPB
Play it stat then give us your UC rankings.

His long monologue at the end about how it's ok to kill little old ladies because they're close to death anyway was a bit over the top in "oh btw, I'm the bad guy fyi". I really expected him to go on to say that kittens taste good with ketchup, but not as good as barbecued babies.

Holy balls, this is excellent.

I haven't play Uncarded yet!

Don't really plan to

Me neither; especially after BlueMaxima's video.

or LPB

Yeah, big surprise, right?
It's because Vita has no games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom