• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs or Sleeping Dogs?

Justinh

It seems I don't hate Watch Dogs as most people, but I think Sleeping Dogs is so much more fun to play. Sometimes Watch Dogs just feels boring to me and the fighting in Sleeping Dogs was fun as opposed to the hacking which I only cared for during Gang Hideout side activities.

openrob

Sleeping Dogs is fun. Only problem there isn't enough of it. It ended before I felt I had got enough out of it, but its mechanics weren't deep enough to sustain much of the repetitive sidequesting action.

At the same time though, too many games are too drawn out for the sake of it. I actually finished Sleeping Dogs.
Probably should get back and complete that DLC...

Point being I would have stopped playing it around the time it came to an end. If it was longer I would have lost interest and moved on to the next game.

antitrop

Will sleeping dogs satisfy my shenmue itch?

No.

Sleeping Dogs easily. GTAV was good but SD had a infinitely better atmosphere

I don't know about that at all. I think you just like Hong Kong more than LA. I understand the appeal of a location unlike the one you actually live in, but the familiarity doesn't take away from GTA V's achievements. Both games have exceptional atmosphere.

Watch Dogs is a much better title than some Gafers want to admit (must keep up the hate of Ubisoft and all that), but Sleeping Dogs is a better game in almost every respect. Both have some very adult themes, but Sleeping Dogs does more with it than Watch Dogs does.

antitrop

watch dogs has better graphics and shooting but sleeping dogs has a more interesting story and characters (motherfuckin Wei Shen).

I'd go with sleepy dogs
Watch_Dogs may have better graphics (on PC, not even by very much), but fails to deliver an interesting and believable Chicago. Sleeping Dog's HK may be small, but it is certainly a far more compelling place to temporarily exist in.

Watch_Dogs lacks the "little details" that make an open-world believable and enjoyable to explore around. It feels very sterile, more like a very large video game level than a real place. It just contained absolutely no immersion factor, for me.

Watch Dogs is a much better title than some Gafers want to admit (must keep up the hate of Ubisoft and all that)

I adored Far Cry 4 and abhorred Watch_Dogs.

Watch_Dogs lacks the "little details" that make an open-world believable and enjoyable to explore around. It feels very sterile, more like a very large video game level than a real place. It just contained absolutely no immersion factor, for me.

I wouldn't say it's completely lacking in this area. That gamey transparency happens faster than something like GTAV because it lacks dynamism and they depend too heavily on canned city interactions, but Watch_Dogs, at points, was the most believable "low key, breezy autumn day urban open world" experience I've played. I appreciate that the city and its people weren't constantly screaming at me, but instead simply constructed as a modern city with level headed people. Aiden's laid back stalker animations played a part in this too.

That being said, the feeling quickly dissipates as the cracks start to show. For a moment though, Watch_Dogs had something.

Just finished Sleeping Dogs a week ago, and currently playing thru Watch Dogs.

Sleeping Dogs has better story and action(Martial Arts, Shooting and Jumping from car to car) but the controls are a bit wonky.

Watch Dogs has better controls for shooting, stealth and some better varied missions(Hacking, Stealth, Guide) but really boring story and unlikeable protag.

The driving in both boils down to what car you're driving, some handle well some dont.

Anyone sane would recommend Sleeping Dogs.

Make sure you play the old PC version and not the definitive edition that came out recently.

Why the old PC version and not the definitive edition? I just played through the Definitive Edition on PS4 and thought it was great.

I knew nothing of the game other than pork buns, and the Wei Shen motherfucker quote prior to playing to it and played the OG version of it.

Too many dogs. Two Stupid Dogs.

I'll say Sleeping Dogs, at this point. Though I really didn't like either, upon retrospect. But SD felt a bit more... Fun? The combat was pretty fun (felt like a take on Rocksteady's Batman combat; which felt like Mark of Kri, oddly enough).

Plus, I liked the locale (and the radio stations; "Girls On Film" ftw).

Daingurse

Couldn't push myself to finishing 25% of the game. I don't even understand how that's possible in this day and age.

I bought the game at launch, and I'm not even past fucking Act II! The story is 100% uncompelling, I just couldn't even bothered lol. I just went ahead and made my own fun instead. Sleeping Dogs had a compelling narrative IMO. I actually gave a shit, and was interested in the things happening to the characters.

Sleeping dogs is much more "straight up action in your face up close and personal" than Watch Dogs. Watch Dogs has all those tech gadgets where as Sleeping Dogs is all about breaking bones with your kick ass martial arts.

Sleeping Dogs hands down.

Grief.exe

I wish Sleeping Dogs got more attention when it was released, such an underrated game initially that eventually got a positive word of mouth.

Camp Lo

Banned
I bought the game at launch, and I'm not even past fucking Act II! The story is 100% uncompelling, I just couldn't even bothered lol. I just went ahead and made my own fun instead. Sleeping Dogs had a compelling narrative IMO. I actually gave a shit, and was interested in the things happening to the characters.

Glad I'm not alone on that. I seriously quit playing a few missions after first meeting the girl hacker. I want to go back but it's so mindnumbing...

Meanwhile, I've beaten Sleeping Dogs at least 5 times, once on PS3 and the rest on Steam

Despera

Banned
Watch Dogs protagonist doesn't look like he eat pork buns... so the answer is go play Sleeping Dogs.

There's a reason why my main XCOM unit was named after Wei Shen :p

Horns

Wow, Gaf hivemind never fails. Sleeping Dogs it is then!

Change the question then. Sleeping Dogs or GTAV?

GTA V. SD is like a PS2 game in comparison. Aside from hand to hand combat GTA V is a generation ahead of SD in every single aspect.

Top Bottom