• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: I Hope ‘The Last of Us Part II’ is Super Gay (Spoilers)

Seeing as it's the basis of this article, I'm assuming Neil came out (forgive the pun) and said that Ellie was gay?

Because I thought that Left Behind was left pretty open for interpretation.

Riley_and_Ellie_Kiss.png

"Hmm... I can't tell if they're gay"

Joeku

There's no need to worry if Ellie's homosexuality will be "handled well" in TLoU2. Naughty Dog has already proven they can make engaging well written characters that aren't just attempts at checking boxes. I'm excited to see how Ellie's character has developed in the new game.

Yeah, pretty much this. Why the fuck try to bury it just to make it "subtle" enough that the straight dudes don't feel uncomfortable? If she's gay, she's gay. That's it. It will be exactly as front and/or centre as it needs to be for her arc in this. Considering her age in this, Ellie feeling scorned over a young love taken away from her (yet again) would absolutely fit part of her revenge plot.

All I'm saying is that when the DLC released it was viewed in multiple ways by folks. Not everyone took it to be romantic.

I think Neil hit the nail on the head here. He said that if she'd kissed Sam, no one would've questioned what it meant. The questioning only happened because she kissed Riley.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
what a confusing post
What part is confusing?

But anyway, this may help:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ember-me-because-of-their-female-protagonists

"We wanted to be able to tease on Nilin's private life, and that means for instance, at one point, we wanted a scene where she was kissing a guy. We had people tell us, 'You can't make a dude like the player kiss another dude in the game, that's going to feel awkward.'"

And this thread may shed some light too:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224957

Just in case that wasn't clear, though, if the writers want to make Ellie "super gay" then I'm all for it, too. The notion that "it's ok if she's gay but not too much because gays are icky" and "eww gay agenda" can die in a fire. :)

I'd love if they touched on it, but having a it be a big focal point seems a bit too on the nose. Ellie's character is much more than her sexuality, therefore she shouldn't defined by it.

I do hope it comes up, though. Players should know about that part of her life.

Azzanadra

While LGBT representation is great and I'm all for it, straight female playable protagonists with male love interests are somehow even rarer (seems like they're either gay or asexual), so I'd be totally cool with her hooking up with some dude in TLoU2, if only to make some manbabies squirm.

Haha same, imagine a sex scene with a man... that would really throw the internet in a frenzy. Its definitely possible, depending your interpretation of Left Behind Ellie could be anything, Lesbian, bi or straight. I say straight because some say the kiss could just be an act of "experimentation", or even seen in a platonic light as opposed to a romantic one considering the ages of Ellie and Riley at the time.

Because the gay community finally has a lead character in a big AAA game, and don't want that aspect of her personality to be swept under a rug?

Didn't Bioware already do it first?

Platy

Agreed, the sex minigame halfway through was very unnecessary.

I can see why you would say that.

But
Bill
being gay was also pretty big. It made that entire scene make so much more sense.

I am not talking about a specific scene .... the game starts with Joel's daughter and the whole relationship about Joel and Ellie is about him finding "comfort" in being a fatherly figure to her since he could not protect his biological daughter.

DrArchon

I found Ellie being a lesbian cool because it was subtle and not a big deal.

If it becomes a focus point of the second game it would be disappointing I think.

I don't see why making a bigger deal out of Ellie being a lesbian would be a bad thing. I mean, there are thousands of games where the protagonist's heterosexuality is a huge deal.

Have Ellie go on a revenge-filled quest to get back at the punks that killed her new girlfriend. Sounds great.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Naughty Dog has an excellent history with storytelling at this point. I'd say odds are good that Ellie's relationships with other people, whether romantic or not, would be part of an interesting story.

However, if anyone objects to Ellie relationship preferences being a focal point of the story, I'd be curious to hear thoughts on Uncharted 4 emphasizing Nathan Drake's sexual orientation by going into such detail about his marriage and relationship with his wife, Elena. Uncharted 4 even devotes an entire chapter to just being around the home with two heterosexuals acting so overtly heterosexual.

Quite edgy.

Glass Rebel

What part is confusing?

But anyway, this may help:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ember-me-because-of-their-female-protagonists

And this thread may shed some light too:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224957

Just in case that wasn't clear, though, if the writers want to make Ellie "super gay" then I'm all for it, too. The notion that "it's ok if she's gay but not too much because gays are icky" and "eww gay agenda" can die in a fire. :)

Ellie is gay. Why would she kiss a dude.

foxdvd

Riley_and_Ellie_Kiss.png

As I posted earlier when it comes to this...14 year old girls kissing in a romantic way is not in itself what makes them gay. There are a lot of 14 year old boys and girls who experience a romantic encounters with the same sex and are not gay. 14 year old sexuality is way more complicated than that.

Ran rp

The handling of sexuality in games is so bad that I think a female lead that just likes men would be a first in of itself.

I wonder if some video game creators think their female lead characters have to be a lesbian or at least bi because they think the male audience cant handle a lead female character who just likes men.

There's Jodie... but the writing in Beyond was awful and their relationship was kinda creepy.

original.jpg

Mesoian

I am not talking about a specific scene .... the game starts with Joel's daughter and the whole relationship about Joel and Ellie is about him finding "comfort" in being a fatherly figure to her since he could not protect his biological daughter.

...So why would that change if he were gay?

I mean, you're right. But why does Joel's sexual preference factor into that?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Isn't Joel pushing like 70 years old at this point?

If Mick Jagger can dance around the stage and belt out song after song for hours on end at 73 then Joel can still sneak around smashing bricks into the skulls on unsuspecting hunters.

I don't think that had anything to do with him being straight. The fact that he ends up the way he does with Ellie shows that even if Sarah were his adopted daughter he'd still react similarly.

Raylan

Banned
Concentrate on gameplay, the world, the enemies, her revenge story, etc. Her being gay or not shouldn't be one of the main points in the game aka being "super gay"...... WTF

Catvoca

Banned
Naughty Dog has an excellent history with storytelling at this point. I'd say odds are good that Ellie's relationships with other people, whether romantic or not, would be part of an interesting story.

However, if anyone objects to Ellie relationship preferences being a focal point of the story, I'd be curious to hear thoughts on Uncharted 4 emphasizing Nathan Drake's sexual orientation by going into such detail about his marriage and relationship with his wife, Elena. Uncharted 4 even devotes an entire chapter to just being around the home with two heterosexuals being so overtly heterosexual.

Quite edgy.

"Jeez, I wish Uncharted 4 would stop pushing it's heterosexual agenda in my face. It would be fine if it was subtle but it just feels shoehorned into being such a big part of the plot. I just want my videogames not to be political"

However, if anyone objects to Ellie relationship preferences being a focal point of the story, I'd be curious to hear thoughts on Uncharted 4 emphasizing Nathan Drake's sexual orientation by going into such detail about his marriage and relationship with his wife, Elena. Uncharted 4 even devotes an entire chapter to just being around the home with two heterosexuals being so overtly heterosexual.

Quite edgy.

The point of a relationship between Ellie and whomever can't be that they're gay, just like being heterosexual isn't the point of the relationship between Elena and Drake. There has to be something more to it, just like there was something more to Bill and the relationship between Riley and Ellie.

Ladekabel

Was Ellie really lesbian? I thought the kissing each other on the mouth is something teenage girls do. At least it was here. And as far as I know girls aren't in the "You're kissing same-sex? You're such a homo!!!"-camp like boys are. But what do I know.

DedValve

Banned
I'd be ecstatic if Ellies sexuality took more of a dominating role.

You have no idea how giddy I get just seeing two gay people interact with each other let alone be allowed to have a relationship on any type of popular media. Even if its girls.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
As long as all the greatness from the first game is there they can tell almost any story they want and I'll be there.

Would be a double gut punch to have the revenge story be about going after fireflies that killed Joel (say around 1/3rd of the way into the game) then she finds a woman to love who almost manages to pull her out of her darkness only for HER to die and then we have Bill 2.0 in Ellie.

Just a hard as fuck - you've taken everything i loved and i'm gonna burn the world down - 19 year old killing machine.

OOohh! and we'll get some insight into the kind of life that Joel led before the story picked up in Part 1!

anyways... the best part about the characters in TLoU is that they arent tropes and kind of defy the standard holes and pegs most games stick to. Should be great no matter what they decide to do.

Orayn

Concentrate on gameplay, the world, the enemies, her revenge story, etc. Her being gay or not shouldn't be one of the main points in the game aka being "super gay"...... WTF

Yeah man being gay is a character thing and TLOU didn't really focus much on characters at all.

Manu

All I hope is that if Ellie got a new girl in her life, that it's not the same person that she's getting revenge over. I'm so sick of the "bury your gays" trope. Even the first game fell for it. Twice.

sono

Dont really care if it is super gay or not either way happy to leave that to ND frankly based on their current track record of sensitivity.

.. the reason I am posting is to say that trailer is absolutely stunning.

Damn, this reminded me that i still have to play Left Behind.

Until you do you are missing out, it is amazing.

Auctopus

Riley_and_Ellie_Kiss.png

You don't have to be an ass. You could've replied with Druckmann's quote like this...

Nah

Is Ellie gay?

Druckmann: “Now when I was writing it I was writing it I was writing it with the idea that Ellie is gay, and when the actresses were working they were definitely working with the idea that they’re both attracted to each other. That was the subtext and intention that they were playing with from the opening cinematic when they’re holding each other’s hands for too long, or when Riley bites her on the neck; there’s that chemistry there from the get go that was important for us so that we earned that moment when they kissed each other. So that it wasn’t just out of the blue but also wasn’t so overt that you’re like “Oh of course. Just get on with it.”

I felt like the below was a perfectly reasonable interpretation of Left Behind.

As I posted earlier when it comes to this...14 year old girls kissing in a romantic way is not in itself what makes them gay. There are a lot of 14 year old boys and girls who experience a romantic encounters with the same sex and are not gay. 14 year old sexuality is way more complicated than that.

But obviously, Druckmann was actually writing Ellie as a gay character.

ViolentP

Man. Representation does matter.

Of course it matters. But nothing should be forced into the narrative for the sake of representation. If Ellie is in fact gay and that is part of the intended narrative, nothing should sway them away from delivering it as such. But the adverse also exists. If there was no intention in exploring the ambiguity of her sexuality, it should not be forced for the sake of said representation.

Top Bottom