• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: I Hope ‘The Last of Us Part II’ is Super Gay (Spoilers)

I don't mind this at all. Lesbians have been used in video games and promos for ages (usually aimed at straight men), but well-written gay characters and relationships are extremely hard to come by. Not to mention the gay men..

black070

I don't think they need to overtly go down that road if it doesn't serve the story, by that I mean if she does for example have a lovel interest, play it like you would any other rather then trying to emphasise it more then it needs to in the context just to make a point of it.

Do you need to explore someone's "straightness?"

no because straightness is normal, you see.

Guys guys guys, you clearly don't know how games are written. Game narratives (and really all narratives) come from the Story Well. It's this giant we'll that reaches into the center of the earth. The game director or writer comes along, dips their bucket into the well, and out comes the story, shiny and intact and full of white heteronormativity. Sometimes there may even be a gay character in there, but only if it's really subtle and not in your face to make you think about it too much. Sort of like a fun background thing.

But we all know the true risk here is forcing things in. Since we all know the narrative comes out full and complete (and isn't crafted by humans) whenever a person adds something to it they are forcing it in[i/]. This is especially risky when trying to add any representation, as the narrative is already done, so if you try to add in too many non-white or gay elements it disrupts the delicate balance! Suddenly you're forcing things in left and right and making people uncomfortable! Just let the representation come naturally from the Story Well and don't question anything and especially don't add things that aren't there originally.

lmao

foxdvd

This story is going to be about revenge. Ellie will have to balance guilt and anger over her situation. Over the people she has lost. Over the fact that she is immune. Over the fact that the one person in her life that she can look up to, like a father,
lied to her
. The person that is her rock, and someone she loves, is also responsible for
maybe keeping a cure from happening

People are worried that this game will be a let down. They say that the story has already been told. I say there is more potential with this narrative than ever. Her sexuality will be a VERY small part of this story.

Vice

It makes totally sense. But check the OP. Making the game "super gay" sounds like it should be the MAIN thing in TLOU2. I mean, what? Don't force it. See TLOU:LB. It just happened and it was awesome.
Making it super gay is no different than how U4 is super straight.

jond76

Banned
Why is the way Ellie is dressed more to do with her being gay and not to do with her dressing practically for living in the post apocalypse?

I would argue it doesn't.

Just tell your story, Naughty Dog.

ViolentP

Do you need to explore someone's "straightness?"

It's a story. Gay, straight, white, black, christian, muslim. We are the audience to a story and we should not dictate what that story should include. We hope for something we will enjoy but ultimately judge the result.

If Ellie has a partner, someone important to her, why can't that be justification enough for its inclusion?

I'm not saying it can't. In fact, if it did, I would enjoy the game just the same. I am not expressing any sort of distaste for the idea that Ellie or anyone is gay. I just don't think she should be made gay just because. And I would defend this idea if the shoe was on the other foot. If a story was written with a gay character in mind and they were changed to a straight character for whatever bullshit reason, I would argue against it just the same.

Joeku

It makes totally sense. But check the OP. Making the game "super gay" sounds like it should be the MAIN thing in TLOU2. I mean, what? Don't force it. See TLOU:LB. It just happened and it was awesome.

...No, no it doesn't. You're reading too much into the headline. It's just not something that should be avoided. For my part, the best representations of gay characters don't come in after-school special type instances, but rather treating it as a norm and totally okay, and not shying away from it as normal and acceptable. That is really what I hope this game does; let her be gay if they want to write a female partner into the game, and not make it a thing, but have it be as front and center as it would if a male main character had a girlfriend in the same situation.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This thread has made me laugh a good number of times.

I trust Naughty Dog will handle it well and tell a human story. If there's a past or present romantic interest for Ellie (has there been a Naughty Dog game since the PS3 era without some kind of romance—failed or successful—in a main character's story?), there's a chance it'll be a woman. The fact that Ellie is already confirmed to not be straight makes this game, with or without sexuality in SOME way coming up in the story, feel rather momentous. I really can't think of any big-budget AAA games without a "create a character, choose your adventure" style that had a canonically queer main playable character.

Reckheim

I hope the Last of Us puts being a good game with a good story over sending any sort of message. Gay Ellie would make sense and be cool, but if it happens please let it feel natural.

I like how they handled it in left behind.

ITT: 'Obviously I'm fine with them including a gay lead character... but *ONLY* if it's also an Oscar-winning screenplay in accordance with arbitrary standards I shall set myself just as soon as I know if they're doing it or not.'

ultron87

Please just don't make the story about the girlfriend she found in-between games getting killed in the first hour and then Ellie going on a revenge spree.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Guys guys guys, you clearly don't know how games are written. Game narratives (and really all narratives) come from the Story Well. It's this giant well that reaches into the center of the earth. The game director or writer comes along, dips their bucket into the well, and out comes the story, shiny and intact and full of white heteronormativity. Sometimes there may even be a gay character in there, but only if it's really subtle and not in your face to make you think about it too much. Sort of like a fun background thing.

But we all know the true risk here is forcing things in. Since we all know the narrative comes out full and complete (and isn't crafted by humans) whenever a person adds something to it they are forcing it in. This is especially risky when trying to add any representation, as the narrative is already done, so if you try to add in too many non-white or gay elements it disrupts the delicate balance! Suddenly you're forcing things in left and right and making people uncomfortable! Just let the representation come naturally from the Story Well and don't question anything and especially don't add things that aren't there originally.
Ayyyy

Tovarisc

"It would be annoying if they made a big deal out of Ellie being gay"

*meanwhile Geralt fucks every woman he crosses paths with*

Something what players found hilariously overly masculine [James Bond on steroids] and even devs themselves admitted they shouldn't have done it like they did. They ended up toning it down a lot in TW2 and TW3 so more sexual encounters made more sense and natural, not collectibles like in TW1.

When it comes to Ellie's sexuality I don't think it should be made her defining feature because at that point it could be easily be overdone and too on the nose. Just like Geralt's prowess with women turned it and him into borderline joke in TW1 because how overdone that part of him was.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They can avoid a shitload of hatred and just a general shitshow if it remains a subtle hint as opposed to hitting us over the head with it.

It's 2016 for fuck's sake. This shit should not matter. There's no reason there should be an issue with a gay female lead in a videogame about killing infected human beings.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Guys guys guys, you clearly don't know how games are written. Game narratives (and really all narratives) come from the Story Well. It's this giant well that reaches into the center of the earth. The game director or writer comes along, dips their bucket into the well, and out comes the story, shiny and intact and full of white heteronormativity. Sometimes there may even be a gay character in there, but only if it's really subtle and not in your face to make you think about it too much. Sort of like a fun background thing.

But we all know the true risk here is forcing things in. Since we all know the narrative comes out full and complete (and isn't crafted by humans) whenever a person adds something to it they are forcing it in. This is especially risky when trying to add any representation, as the narrative is already done, so if you try to add in too many non-white or gay elements it disrupts the delicate balance! Suddenly you're forcing things in left and right and making people uncomfortable! Just let the representation come naturally from the Story Well and don't question anything and especially don't add things that aren't there originally.

giphy.gif

I never said anything would change if he was gay .... but the fact that Joel had a biological daughter is a HUGE plot point in the game.

"if joel was gay and sarah was adopted he still react similarly" is like "if ellie was straight and the girl she will meet was a boy she would still react similarly" =P

I think you're making a big leap there. It's just the fact that he had a daughter that is a big plot point. Sarah being biological isn't really the point considering how he ultimately ends up with Ellie.

I mean, if you want to talk about an element where his sexuality comes into play I think you'd have a much better argument by bringing up Tess. Because in the final scene she makes it pretty clear that there was something between them, and he ultimately decides to continue what they started with Ellie in part because of her.

psyfi

Banned
Not lately, I'd say. Not even jrpg are known for good classic love stories any longer. When was the last Tales that ended that way. Graces?
I'm not even talking about games with a romance focus, I'm talking about any game with any degree of story. Games can casually reference a main character's sexual preference in the context of a joke, one liner, flashback scene, etc. It doesn't have to be a big deal... Unless that character isn't straight, apparently, and then some people start taking issue. (Edit: And to clarify, I'm not targeting you here.)

Madness

She's saying that Ellie was gay in the first one, so she hopes they deal with that it the second. She's also been a queer film critic and recognises that the way Ellie is represented in the trailer is consistent with the way queer people have been represented in film.

Your jump to "she'll probably be outraged and write articles about it when Ellie isn't" is also super fucking lame.

My friend. Reread the entire article, it is a textbook case of 'itsfuckingnothing.gif'. She isn't so much HOPING that they deal with Ellie being a lesbian in the second so much as trying to pass speculation based on HER OWN wants/hopes and projections based on concept art image. The way it is written and disseminated reads like fact rather than unsubstantiated speculation. At least wait until you have something concrete. And I never said outraged, but the way she wrote her article, if none of this comes to pass, you just know there will be further articles of why this couldn't happen etc.

Cyborg

Maybe you don't take it seriously enough.

Thats right. I just enjoy the games! Who cares if I play with a male, female, gay, straight, black or white. Im playing with a human in my eyes, the rest is irrelevant to me. As long as I enjoy my games and have fun.

The rest is political/social bullshit

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
At this point I almost hope Ellie and the story are super gay and it still knocks things out the park just so we can shut the fuck up about forcing gay themes and characters into a story unless its somehow directly tied up with the story being told.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ellie is gay. Why would she kiss a dude.
I thought she wasn't confirmed to be lesbian, and could be bisexual. Something about how she'd have fallen in love with a boy version of Riley too, or something, from an interview? But if she's canonically gay then OK.

"It would be annoying if they made a big deal out of Ellie being gay"

*meanwhile Geralt fucks every woman he crosses paths with*
10/10 All of the GOTYs

ITT: 'Obviously I'm fine with them including a gay lead character... but *ONLY* if it's also an Oscar-winning screenplay in accordance with arbitrary standards I shall set myself just as soon as I know if they're doing it or not.'
Hahahaha, seriously

Hari Seldon

He says at one point that he had to drop out of College due to Sarah iirc. He was probably 17/18 when she was born.

Sarah was 12.

Ok then with these facts Joel is:

18 (when he had sarah) +12 (Sarah's age) +20 (time after prologue) = 50 at the beginning of TLoU.

And yet it would be way more controversial if she were straight, as many "men don't like to play as women who are attracted to men" conversations have made apparent.

I'll also say that, as a man with a straight daughter who resembles Ellie in both looks and style, the whole "masculine/androgynous presentation = automatic lesbian" concept has got to go. It's very regressive and causes her a lot of stress since she wants to have short hair and wear clothes she likes, but hates the idea that boys will assume she's not into them because of her look.

Lesbians don't dress that way because being gay automatically gives you an affinity for plaid, but because they're already beyond the point of needing to adhere to societies expectations. There are so many straight women who would love to dress and behave in non-traditional ways, but don't see it as being worth the stigma.

HStallion

Thats right. I just enjoy the games! Who cares if I play with a male, female, gay, straight, black or white. Im playing with a human in my eyes, the rest is irrelevant to me. As long as I enjoy my games and have fun.

Because we know videogames never ever touch on political or social themes. In fact if they do the game becomes bull shit right?

Shaanyboi

Banned

It's only "bullshit" when it doesn't have to do with you, apparently. But please continue with how "above it all" you are.

Wow, a literal "I don't see colour" post.

Vice

A gay story be quite enjoyable though. Social and political bullshit, and all.

Catvoca

Banned
My friend. Reread the entire article, it is a textbook case of 'itsfuckingnothing.gif'. She isn't so much HOPING that they deal with Ellie being a lesbian in the second so much as trying to pass speculation based on HER OWN wants/hopes and projections based on concept art image. The way it is written and disseminated reads like fact rather than unsubstantiated speculation. At least wait until you have something concrete. And I never said outraged, but the way she wrote her article, if none of this comes to pass, you just know there will be further articles of why this couldn't happen etc.

Of course it's speculation. "I hope" is in the title ffs. It's based on facts from the last game and a reading of the trailer, and she's saying what she's like the game to be. And I don't "just know there will be future articles". I've read the writers work before, i've listened to podcasts with her on them. She is a good critic and the weird stereotype box you're putting her in speaks volumes.

Bedlam

Yeah, no.

That's a complete twisting of what people are saying to fit your narrative.

Try again, maybe less snarky.

kswiston

Didn't Bioware already do it first?

The leads in later Bioware games are usually whatever the user wants them to be. Except in Dragon Age 2 where all of your team members were pretty aggressive in their sexuality.

In Dragon Age 2, Anders made out with my Male Hawke, because I was generally nice to him.

"Hey good job back there. You really came through"

*make out session*

Joeku

Everything made by someone in a political world who is a social human being (and in this case, dozens/hundreds of them) is inherently political and social commentary. Even if just a little bit. Zombie apocalypse stories tend to lean more towards intentionally commentary than not, though.

GonzoCR

I don't get the "don't force it" or "make it subtle" comments. It seems people only say these things when it comes to a minority character. Like, is there a point where something is too overtly gay for some people to safely ignore, and that's when it's "forced" or "shoehorned in"?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

boy bye

Hari Seldon

And yet it would be way more controversial if she were straight, as many "men don't like to play as women who are attracted to men" conversations have made apparent.

I'll also say that, as a man with a straight daughter who resembles Ellie in both looks and style, the whole "masculine/androgynous presentation = automatic lesbian" concept has got to go. It's very regressive and causes her a lot of stress since she wants to have short hair and wear clothes she likes, but hates the idea that boys will assume she's not into them because of her look.

I don't care what ND does as long as it is good. But the OP is a bit silly. Judging the character by what she is wearing? Do they have malls and shit in the post apocalyptic world? Does she have much choice?

Alienfan

It's weird how having a LGBT character's sexuality front and center is often referred to as "shoving it in our faces", yet that's a sentiment never used when the characters are straight.
I never heard people complaining about Nathan Drake

psyfi

Banned

You realize that you're employing some political/social bullshit when you suddenly demand that a potentially queer character in a story-driven game be as closeted as possible? Do you not see how that notion is shaped by political / social conditioning? If not, I ask: would you react the same way if it was mentioned offhand that Ellie has a boyfriend?

HStallion

It's weird how having a LGBT character's sexuality front and center is often referred to as "shoving it in our faces", yet that's a sentiment never used when the characters are straight.
I never heard people complaining about Nathan Drake

Double standards are a beautiful thing.

Top Bottom