• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the best eShop titles on the 3DS?

Kimawolf

"Soulhackers easy. One of my favorite games I have played on my 3DS. It counts because it is eshop only atm I believe.

Dominator

Do yourself a favor and get it on 3DS to see it in 3D as YCG did a fantastic job with it, you're not really gaining anything on the PS4/Vita that you wouldn't already have on the WiiU aside from a brief Kratos fight.
i'd personally take a Vita version over 3DS any day of the week since I never play in 3D, so I'm still going for that one, but thanks for the info.

Azure striker Gunvolt is my favourite eshop title!(about 35 hours)

I recommend it to anybody who likes to aim for perfect scores and good platformers.

Dee Dee

I heard so much praise for Adventure Bar Story, but can not report myself because Germany is such a special place when it comes to indie games... (meaning no indie in their right mind wants to pay our stupidly expensive rating system)

Anyway: Try The Keep and Adventure Bar Story, and be thankful that you can.

Denpa Men can be fun if you like streamlined traditional RPGs and weirdness.

Tokyo Crash Mobs is also simple but uniquely weird enough that it's charming.

The gladiator game (I forget name) is better than it ought to be. If you like punch out I'd recommend it.

Fritz

I like all the Level 5 Guild games.

Liberation Maiden
Crimson Shroud
Attack of the Friday Monsters
The Starship Damrey
Weapon Shop de Omasse
Bugs vs Tanks
Aero Porters

Hope there will be a 3rd set

Steel Empire if you like old school horizontal shmups, but only if it is on sale
or if you are a millionaire
. Great graphics, and good use of 3D as well.

leroidys

Are there a lot of good ones? Definitely will check any recommendations out.

A Kappa's Trail is a great touchscreen controlled platformer made by some Mother 3 staff. It gets difficult though.

Pictobits is a fantastic puzzle game with a ton of nintendo fanservice.

Starship defense is my favorite tower defense game (made by the same guys who did pixeljunk monsters)

Boxlife is another great puzzle game in the artstyle series.

There's a lot of other good-to-great stuff, but they're mostly score attack games or similar stuff is available on other platforms. These four are pretty substantial, unique offerings.

noquarter

I havn't heard much about Box Boy, but it's on my list? any impressions?
It's a fun little puzzle/platform game. All the levels are quick, the at style is charming (I think) and the music is pretty good. Worth the $5, IMO. Most the levels are easy, but you will probably come to one that will make you think for a minute.

Are there a lot of good ones? Definitely will check any recommendations out.
The ArtStyle games are pretty good. My personal favorite is PictoBits. The music alone is worth it. You move pixels on the bottom screen, and when they are removed they make a picture on the top screen, a scene from an NES game. The music is all remixed songs from old NES games.

isitstill

Cave Story (available everywhere, I know, but the 3DS version is fantastic)

1001 Spikes

Outdoors Unleashed Africa 3D is a fun, but very stupid, safari game.

I Am An Air Traffic Controller Airport Hero Hawaii: ugly graphics, but there is something so weird and charming about this game. It was $20 when I bought it, but there is a demo.

Bike Rider DX 1 and 2

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is brilliant

VVVVVV

Another World

Crimson Shroud

There's so much good stuff on the eShop. I counted all of my 3DS downloaded games yesterday, and was shocked to find 160! That includes DSi Ware, Ambassador games, and 3DS retail games, but there's a ton of really awesome stuff to play.

Numb

tumblr_inline_mfwu4tZ1Kq1qzpbds.gif

Sakura Samurai.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Isn't a number of Phoenix Wright games only available through eshop in NA? Get them all :)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Another vote for Steamworld Dig.
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball and Nintendo Pocket Football Club are both amazing but which one you can buy is limited by region.

Camjo-Z

As always, it is my duty to shill the amazing Rabi Laby games. I bet they'd be as popular as Pushmo if people actually knew they existed!

Also, if you have any interest at all in making music, KORG M01D is a great program for it.

Weiss

Banned
Azure Striker Gunvolt is one of my favourites on the eShop. It's a 2D cyberpunk platformer made by the team making Mighty No. 9 and who did the Mega Man Zero series, with really clever mechanics that pull a spin on the usual platforming tropes.

I Am An Air Traffic Controller Airport Hero Hawaii: ugly graphics, but there is something so weird and charming about this game. It was $20 when I bought it, but there is a demo.

Came here to post this, thinking no one else would. Glad to see this underappreciate classic getting some recognition.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I would also remind everyone that Retro City Rampage DX is indeed awesome if you like that kind of games

You should buy some of the Sega 3D Classics. If you're a Sega fan you'll recognize a lot of the names right off the bat, and every one I've bought so far has been great. I'd recommend Outrun and Fantasy Zone.

Pushmo/Pullblox and Crashmo/Fallblox are both essential for anyone who appreciates cerebral block puzzles that rely more on logic and experimentation than on quick reaction time. I found them both on the easy side (rather, the difficulty takes a long time to ramp up) but they are nevertheless highly rewarding to play.

Shovel Knight is masterful, and more evocative of classic Mega Man than Mega Man himself. I played it on Wii U (better D-pad) but it's a game worth acquiring on whatever system is available.

I'd personally like to hear more about the Dillon's Rolling Western games or MvDK: Minis on the Move, as I'm considering picking them up as Club Nintendo rewards with my remaining points.

Just want to know if I'm missing any gems that I don't already have. I'm sure there are a few that are great that I don't have. I'm from the US so only NA games for me but if there are some in other regions feel free to post them for other posters.

I'm talking about eShop only titles here, so games that are also on retail don't count.

I have:

BOXBOY!
Crashmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger
Fluidity: Spin Cycle
HarmoKnight
Inazuma Eleven
Mario and Donkey Kong: Mini's on the Move
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Duel Destinies
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy
Pokemon Shuffle
Pushmo
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

Enlighten me GAF!
No Shovel Knight??? I'm really dissapointed it's one of the best games I grabbed from the Eshop.

PtM

Banned
How is Rayman? Should I wait for Shantae 2 remastered?
So I got Rayman, and it makes a snapshot of my ugly face every time I save. Awesome. Game is dandy so far, as well.

cireza

Liberation Maiden is amazing.

Crimson Shroud

Shovel Knight

Cave Story

Shantae

Gunvolt

Sega 3D Classics (the arcade ports)

Skyzard

Banned
Shovel Knight and Shantae 3 as an EU gamer... well... damn.

I didn't know Shovel Knight had come out yet but I just did some googling (because that's ridiculous, it's a popular game):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-05-shovel-knight-is-finally-out-in-europe-on-3ds-and-wii-u

Apparently came out near the end of last year.

IIRC you have a vita and it comes out in a few days if you can wait...unless EU actually gets screwed again. Pumped for it myself after all the positivity surrounding it.

Off the top of my head:

Crimson Shroud
Attack of the Friday Monsters!
Picross E1
Picross E2
Picross E3
Picross E4
Picross E5
Mutant Mudds
Weapon Shop De Omase
Azure Striker Gunvolt
The Denpa Men
The Denpa Men 2
The Denpa Men 3
Hana Samurai
Mighty Switch Force
Mighty Switch Force 2
Nintendo Pocket Footbal Club
Steamworld Dig
NightSky
Yumi's Odd Odyssey/Sayonara Umihara Kawase
Retro City Rampage
Kokuga
Gunman Clive
Gunman Clive 2

Good but maybe wait for a sale
------------
Code of Princess
Liberation Maiden
The Starship Damrey
Aero Porter
Bugs VS Tanks

Not tried yet but apparently good
------------
Dedede's drum dash deluxe
Kirby Fighters Deluxe
Zombie Incident
A-Train

3D Classics
------------
3D Galaxy Force 2
3D Shinobi 3
3D Fantasy Zone
3D Fantasy Zone II
3D Out Run
3D Space Harrier
3D After Burner

VC
-----------
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Shantae
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land 3 : Warioland
Warioland 2
Warioland 3
Donkey Kong (this is the brilliant Donkey Kong '94)
Lufia : The Legend Returns
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces

DSiware
-----------
Can't remember too much dsiware now, but Shantae: Risky's Revenge was awesome

@MUWANdo

Banned
Any good ones unique to the Japanese eShop?
I am overwhelmed whenever I check it out.

Both of these games were announced for international release, so they won't be JP-exclusive forever, but Minna de Mammote Knight (Protect Me Knight 2) and Petit Computer 3 (SmileBASIC) are both both fantastic; PMN2 is a brawler/tower defense/RPG by Yuzo Koshiro's company Ancient, and Petit Computer 3 is an app that lets you make, play and share apps using BASIC programming language.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I bought this at launch, and have tried to enjoy it, but it's just so slow! Tim Rogers apparently likes it quite a bit, and I'm fond of that dude's opinions, but I just don't get it.

Has anyone played it and is there a secret to playing the game?

It's not a danmaku game, it's more about carefully aimed shots and learning when to use your powerups than your typical spray-and-pray game. There's no secret and nothing to get, you'll either appreciate it or you won't.

It also feels like the powerup/card system was designed with multiplayer in mind, with the idea that it randomises each player's role and forces them to employ different tactics when taking on bosses, but I don't think anyone has ever played Kokuga with other people so that aspect is gonna be lost on most people.

epmode

Sega 3D Classics are the only games that get me to overlook Nintendo's miserable digital policies and actually use the store. So yeah, get those.

gillty

Banned
A-Train 3D: City Simulator

A-Train: City Simulator is legit!
also, Sega's 3D Classics

Those are my favorite eshop games

I'm not very far into the game at all but I'd say if A-Train seems at all interesting to you, you should get it. I'll also add +1 to Attack of the Friday Monsters, it's probably the most sentimental and lovable game I've ever played. Liberation Maiden I think is worth a buy when it's on sale, provided your okay with a) controls that heavily favor right-handed people and b) a relatively short campaign at maybe two hours.

A-Train !

I highly recommend the cheap but extremely fun title, Witch and Hero. It's around $2.79

Also, Gunman Clive 1 and 2. I also had fun with Shovel Knight and Pokemon Rumble World. Steamworld is fantastic if you haven't played it but it's very short. And pick up some 3D classics, they're great.

Top Bottom