• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2011)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just picked up Count Zero by William Gibson.

Still looking for A Clash of Kings in stores around here... damn book had to get popular all of the sudden.

Sleepy

Just finished:

The Fantastic- Todorov

41TE5TG2YYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Categorizes the aspects of the fantastic to the smallest sliver of actual use/effect.

A Short History of Fantasy- Mendelsohn

517reXo%2Bj%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A bit tedious in places, but her chapters on Tolkien, Rowling, and 2000-2010 were worth the read. Also, the suggested reading list for both fiction and theory will keep me busy for a while.

Just started:

Rhetorics of Fantasy- Mendelsohn

51orn8%2Bi%2BUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A taxonomy of fantasy into four "types": portal-quest, immersive, intrusive, and liminal, also provides texts that fall outside the classification system: the irregulars. I finished the introduction...seems like it will be worthwhile.

The Golden Age- Ajvaz

41hOWzFCtDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A travelogue of an island; a much denser read than I was anticipating. Reads like literary theory, but it is incredibly fun. Much more philosophical than The Other City.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Melhisedek said:
Am on my Abercrombie binge :) How is The Heroes compared to his previous works?

I like the trilogy equally and found heroes better than best served cold (I liked best served cold)

I'm still reading the dresden files. who doesn't like detective wizards?! The series is outstanding and each book is a decent, but quickish read. And there is 12 of them.

is anyone else reading these or has read em? Cause it's great.

Sappy113

Melhisedek said:
Am on my Abercrombie binge :) How is The Heroes compared to his previous works?

It's fucking awesome. Especially if you like the whole Northmen thing. It's more focused than TFL, since it revolves around one battle in three days, so the entire story is zeroed in on that event.

mrkapawutzis said:
I've been on a post-apocalyptic genre spree for awhile
Sweet those are by far my favorite kind of books. What have read in that genre so far? I'm always looking for new ideas.

Qwomo

Maklershed said:
Sweet those are by far my favorite kind of books. What have read in that genre so far? I'm always looking for new ideas.
The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway is great!

tirminyl

519bKtewVeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Been reading this to get my by until A Dance of Dragons comes out. Forgot that I had purchased The Face of Apollo as I could have saved 7 bucks and read that.

Narag

Salazar said:
Awww yeah. These aren't even a guilty pleasure for me any more. So good.

Yeah, looking forward to getting back into that series. Last I read was Fulgrim then I put it down for a while. :(

Qwomo said:
Snow Crash is... not as good as I expected. Not yet, anyway. I'm almost the halfway point. So far, when it's not being eerily prophetic about the current state of the internet, it's been reeking of "what dumb nerds think is cool" -- the protagonist is a MASTER HACKER who carries around SAMURAI SWORDS and dresses in TRENCH COATS. Also the non-Metaverse world is really annoyingly underdeveloped; Stephenson utterly fails to establish the setting from the get-go. Needs more linguistics, less goddamn samurai swords.

Snow Crash is funny for me. Anytime I read it I have a blast but when I look back at it after a reading, I'm always left feeling meh! I've no idea if I'm in the minority or not but I seem to recall the last half being weaker than the first.

Ratrat

I'm so pissed some people actually have DWD. If I were an evil person I'd seek out a leaked file and save myself from the inevitable suicide I'll commit after being spoiled.

What's a good military Sci-fi novel? I've read Starship Troopers, Forever War, its sequels and that horrible John Scalzi book.

NewFresh

Fjordson said:
Always post 'em!

How are you liking Ex Machina? Been thinking of checking it out. Same goes for the Parker novels.

And isn't there actually a graphic novel adaptation of that Parker book?

Ex Machina has been pretty solid. I picked up books 1-5 at a used book store and the jumping between political carrier and superhero the story does with the main character keeps it interesting. The semi-realistic art style is also amazing to see.

The Hunter was made into a graphic novel that I hear is really pretty good. My intent was to read the GN so I threw it on my birthday list and my gf got me the book. Not a bad thing since the book is good in a really noire/pulp kind of way.

Narag

Ratrat said:
I'm so pissed some people actually have DWD. If I were an evil person I'd seek out a leaked file and save myself from the inevitable suicide I'll commit after being spoiled.

What's a good military Sci-fi novel? I've read Starship Troopers, Forever War, its sequels and that horrible John Scalzi book.
I think the forever war and the scalzi book are the ones described as more refined versions of starship troopers, right? If you're interested in the other direction, might try John steakley's Armor.

Ratrat said:

The Lost Fleet series is pretty boss.

Edit: Shit DP.

Gvaz

Banned
HarryHengst said:
[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/ZPJcg.jpg[/IMG]

Mailman just deliverd it. So excited!
GET OFF THE FORUMS (at least till the 12th so you don't spoiler anyone)

KidDork

Still digging through The Rotters (so good), then it's on to Aubrey and Maturin. I bogged down my first time through that book, so hopefully GAF will provide the impetus to get over some of the obstacle-y naval terms.

To lighten the darkness of all the graverobbing in The Rotters, I've gone back to this series:

BAMBOO_4.jpg

Yeah, I know. But it's actually very enjoyable.

And yes, Cherie Priest is highly attractive.

ultron87

Finishing up Beyond the Shadows before DwD:

n274417.jpg

About a third of the way through. I'm already fearing that there's no way in hell he's going to wrap up everything that is happening in this book.

I'm also starting a complete read of Gaiman's Sandman:

sandmandolls.jpg

I've only ever read up to the fourth collection before, so I'm still in review territory right now.

One_Second_After%255B1%255D.jpg

About 100 pages left or so. Its not too bad, Jericho style. Kind of a checklist of "this will all go wrong when an EMP goes off" but in story form. I'd say its probably pretty accurate though. Really shows our dependence on electricity.

Badgerst3

64684961_b.jpg

Noirish fast paced yarn about a down and out ex cop (sorta) and Hollywood hit men.

Definition of summer reading but fun.

piddledy

MoonwalkingWithEinsteinTheArtAndScienceOfRememberingEverything.jpg

Joshua Foer - Moonwalking with Einstein.

About a journalist who discovers a memory-games competition and, a year later, becomes its champion. Ironically, the author convinced me the memory techniques aren't useful enough to learn.

coldvein

Banned
about halfway thru the skating rink by roberto bolano.

quick read, loving it so far. nice to be experiencing the dude's brilliant writing in a form less imposing and massive than 2666.

Arment

200px-Throneofjade.jpg

Just finished The Way of Kings. I'm pretty gutted at the thought of having to wait for the second book (and then the rest). Excellent book though. Feels like the successor to Malazan for epic super-powered characters battling it out.

And now I'm reading the 2nd book of the Temeraire series. I read the first book a couple years ago but never finished it so I'm reading it until A Dance with Dragons comes out.

Valhalla

Banned
Can anyone recommend me a book like hitch hikers guide to the galaxy in terms of comedy and out thereness? PLEASE I BEG OF YOU I NEED A GOOD BOOK

Ratrat

Valhalla said:
Can anyone recommend me a book like hitch hikers guide to the galaxy in terms of comedy and out thereness? PLEASE I BEG OF YOU I NEED A GOOD BOOK
51NLgeKL5KL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
?

And thanks for the recommends guys. Lost Fleet looks like something i'd really enjoy.

piddledy

Valhalla said:

Catch-22 is funny, but not sci-fi. It's set during WWII in Italy, and it's about the crazy logic of war.

coldvein

Banned
Valhalla said:

illuminatus trilogy, maybe? funny and out there. for some reason i can't remember who wrote it right now. perhaps someone else can help!

Karakand

Cyan said:
Dude, if there were standards you'd probably be the only one posting. :p
Read book is good standard. Not that exclusionary at all.

Can't wait for some knucklehead to post an adaptation they watched ITT one day.

ngower

Karakand said:
^it's a good beach book (get it)

I actually did read it at the beach...well, half of it.

It's my favorite book. I've given away both copies of mine because damnit people need to read it!

bengraven

Cyan said:

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

I've always gotten a kick out of YA books. They're usually decently short, they don't feel the need to encode deeper meanings, and they tend to present the world the way people wish it was--good and evil, right choices and wrong choices. Not so many shades of gray. Unfortunately, they can also fall into easy patterns.

The author does a decent job bringing her world and her main character to life. But she throws in the standard YA tropes without really bothering to justify them--the love triangle doesn't seem grounded in reality, the malevolent (religious) authority figures don't have any purpose to what they're doing, and the "choose your dreams" decision that we're meant to be impressed with... was a poor and selfish decision.

Bonus points for decent prose and for (mostly) scary zombies, at least for the first half of the book.

I agree with you: I've actually said that most adult books are rehashes of old themes, but children's and YA books sometimes have extremely clever, original stories. I suppose adult books are aimed at cynics occasionally?

I don't know. Let's collaborate on a YA novel sometime! ha

Getting back into my reading groove. I'm reading two books at the moment:

God_is_not_great.jpg

Hard to read, but I'm liking it. Classic Hitchens.

the-game-penetrating-the-secret-society-of-pickup-artists-482x402.jpg

And I'm trying to up my game. And it's actually a pretty good read thus far. I'm trying to read a chapter a day.

Top Bottom