• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2011)

qno6bm.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

History Books
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Books of 2010
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Lengthy Books
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Summer Reading
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Fantasy Recommendations

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Blogs
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28983370#post28983370

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

This, the first in the splendid series of Jack Aubrey novels, establishes the friendship between Captain Aubrey, R.N., and Stephen Maturin, ship's surgeon and intelligence agent, against a thrilling backdrop of the Napoleonic wars. Details of a life aboard a man-of-war are faultless rendered: the conversational idiom of the officers in the ward room and the men on the lower deck, the food, the floggings, the mysteries of the wind and the rigging, and the roar of broadsides as the great ships close in battle.

-Goodreads.com

Past month threads:
June - The Happiness Project
May - A Visit From the Goon Squad
April - The Afghan Campaign
March - Stranger in a Strange Land
February - Flashman
January - Child 44

strafer

jurassic-park.jpg

First time reading it.

Kind of different compared to the movie but I like it so far.

The T-rex attack that is depicted in the book sounds awesome, would have loved that in the movie.

Oh and Hammond is a real ass in the book.

We will see how it pans out later on.

WedgeX

Banned
Went to a used mystery bookstore with someone who was really into those books.

After us talking about Poirot and Miss Marple, I was convinced to pick up my first Agatha Christie.

imagesqtbnANd9GcQMaTkxxFWHYsqyhQbdEUhWTBdLCV45KTEQkxjOIl-jLiVSiJBdeg.jpg

It helps having David Suchet's voice in the back of my head.

Socreges

Banned
51uB90%2BxrSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I read A Game of Thrones after seeing the story unfold on HBO, yet still enjoyed it. Only started the Prologue of ACoK last night, but I'm afraid I won't be able to put it down. Same goes for the rest of the series (bought all four with the fifth out in a couple weeks). Absolutely amazing books. I've never been big on fantasy, but GRRM has created a masterpiece.

on-the-road-penguin-classic.jpg

On the Road is a very short book so I'll probably ignore the other two and rip through it this weekend. Really enjoying it, though. I've had friends recommending this book for years, but would glance at the first page and shelve it for later. Just had to give it a fair shake and it clicked.

dawkins.jpg

The Greatest Show on Earth - is what it is. Just looking to make my knowledge of evolution a bit more robust.

Just finished

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I was interested in it after watching the trailer for the movie. Overall it was a gripping read, but I never entirely got comfortable with the author (a white woman) writing in the voice of southern black women. I did think it was odd that all the white women in the book sounded all prim and proper without even a hint of a southern accent (other than the one from a really poor white trash town) while all the blacks did not.

Moving on to the bookclub book. Can't wait! I've been meaning to read this forever.

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
bx8vb.jpg
N4nNl.jpg

A Girl Named Zippy is for my english comp class; this is very much the type of memoir I enjoy, all oddball characters and endless anecdotes of strange and hilarious situations.

Fortune Cookie Chronicles isn't anything terribly deep or informative, but the wide cast of food and culture-related explorations are entertaining in a curious sort of way. Can't complain for $1.

New thread reminds me that I gave up on The Book of the Sun. Gonna have to go back to it sometime when I'm more in the mood for it.

Finding it hard to get into anything right now since ADWD is coming out in 12 days, so I've got 3 books going right now.

The Terror

Child 44

The Shadow of the Wind

Re-reading Shadow of the wind because honestly its the only story I want bouncing around in my mind right now. I guess its kind of like when you have a really fantastic meal and you want the taste to linger as long as possible.

shadow-of-the-wind_environment_exterior_interior_design01.jpg

I would so plow Cherie Priest. I bet she was a cool chick to hang with, growing up in Seattle right when grunge was coming up. Still need to pick up Dreadnought.

27710_421415775931_502410931_5758440_6463126_n.jpg

Cyan said:
Wait on this one; I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be a book club choice pretty soon... :)

Yeah, I probably will end up waiting then.

Fjordson

LocoMrPollock said:
Finding it hard to get into anything right now since ADWD is coming out in 12 days, so I've got 3 books going right now.
Yeah, this is the position I'm in right now. Putting off everything that isn't ADWD for the time being.

Slayven

timecaster.jpg

It has one of the most original futures I have ever read about. A future where the left won and is cranked up to 11.

off-season.jpg

I don't know why I love splatterpunk. It always leaves me feeling dirty.

LProtag

Decided to get into some classic American sci-fi as it's relevant to some work I just finished up on Vonnegut, I want to see how far I can extend my theories or where I can expand them.

4PUhJ.jpg

Then this for research purposes, as the questions of fandoms and how/why they work has been popping up a lot in my life.

zTwhk.jpg

Also GRE study books because I just realized my test date is coming up in a little less than a month.

Blu10

It's like Lamb (Which if you haven't read it, you really should), minus Jesus, plus the ghostbusters, set in present day

Quick

Banned
1724539.jpg

KorrZ said:
2938324_b.jpg

Couldn't help myself after watching the TV show.

My store's having a buy 3 get a 4th free book promo (Chapters, Indigo, Coles, Smithbooks, etc. for Canadians until July 3rd!). I'm so tempted to pick it up, but I have a bit of a backlog to go through after American Gods.

bengraven

Quick said:
1724539.jpg

My store's having a buy 3 get a 4th free book promo (Chapters, Indigo, Coles, Smithbooks, etc. for Canadians until July 3rd!). I'm so tempted to pick it up, but I have a bit of a backlog to go through after American Gods.

That's how I got mine. Books-a-Million had a 4 for 3 deal and I picked up all four books.

Dresden

Rereading Tariq Ali's The Book of Saladin right now, which is full of kinky Muslim traditions.

"In the mountains the cowherds used to suck the vagina of the cow while she was being milked. They claimed it improved the quality and the quantity of the milk."
Hot.

Tucah

you speak so well
Finishing up a last minute Storm of Swords reread before ADWD, with AFFC taking up the final week (!!!) before ADWD.

HYPE.

Pikelet

Just finished 'This is your brain on music' thanks to a reccomendation in the last thread by a Gaffer. I am really glad i did, the book was fascinating. Really made me appreciate just how weird the phenomenon of music really is.

Just started Cosmos by Carl Sagan, read the first two chapters and it blew me away. Great stuff.

Finally, i'm trying to finish up a reread of A Feast for Crows before DWD comes out, the date is rapidly approaching though...

Fjordson

EmmanuelMunoz said:
What is the policy on graphic novels in the what you are reading thread?
Always post 'em!

How are you liking Ex Machina? Been thinking of checking it out. Same goes for the Parker novels.

And isn't there actually a graphic novel adaptation of that Parker book?

1305.jpg

Just finished this one, and I must say, I really loved it. I'm now looking for some mystery/creepy books, I haven't read one of those I a while.

K.Sabot

I'm postponing all reading until ADWD hits. I will rush that shit, reread it and finish just in time to read the new Dresden Files.

Qwomo

aswxQ.jpg

Transmetropolitan was better on this reread, probably simply because I was in the right mood. It can alternate between being obnoxiously insipid and fun. This time I enjoyed reading it.

Kingdom Come was kind of disappointing. It had a bland story that really went nowhere in spite of numerous attempts at epic overtones. But I enjoyed it overall. The gouache artwork was amaaaaaazing. Can't wait for the blu-ray.

Snow Crash is... not as good as I expected. Not yet, anyway. I'm almost the halfway point. So far, when it's not being eerily prophetic about the current state of the internet, it's been reeking of "what dumb nerds think is cool" -- the protagonist is a MASTER HACKER who carries around SAMURAI SWORDS and dresses in TRENCH COATS. Also the non-Metaverse world is really annoyingly underdeveloped; Stephenson utterly fails to establish the setting from the get-go. Needs more linguistics, less goddamn samurai swords.

Top Bottom