• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on "Survivor"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

The problem is that 11-14 are filled mostly with unlikeable people. S11 isn't actually well regarded (it's in the bottom third on the Reddit poll, for instance) but it and S21 seem to appeal to the same type of vocal audience. Both periods wind up with all of their seasons on the bottom half.

Only weird thing on that poll is Marquesas, which I suspect is mostly because of the ending and people not understanding the context for the season coming off of S1-3.

Unpopular internet opinion: Shane is like nails on a chalkboard to me and not fun at all.

BowieZ

Banned
Anyone able to tell me whether the S31 thread and/or the subreddit are spoilery? (If spoilers are covered that's fine.)

I've been avoiding Survivor related websites like the plague since Cambodia wrapped up shooting.

It's worth watching, but most of the season is really bleh.

10 is good, then 11-14 is Dark Ages 1. 15 starts resugence 1. 21-24 is dark ages II, 25+ is resurgence 2.

I guess it really is subjective. I always assumed S9-S20 was the golden ages. I haven't enjoyed a season of Survivor as much as those since. I wasn't a huge Gabon fan but it still felt like classic Survivor. Even these latest seasons that are good aren't great imo.

Also, Guatemala is one of my faves! <3

BowieZ

Banned
I guess it really is subjective. I always assumed S9-S20 was the golden ages. I haven't enjoyed a season of Survivor as much as those since. I wasn't a huge Gabon fan but it still felt like classic Survivor. Even these latest seasons that are good aren't great imo.

Also, Guatemala is one of my faves! <3
Yeah that is exactly my thinking too. It's where the gameplay skyrocketed but didn't feel contrived, somehow. Not that it's particularly contrived now, but there was something natural and light-hearted about that era. It's probably just a mix of nostalgia and the less dramatic music etc.

And yeah, Guatemala is so underrated! <3 wish a Second Chancer was returning from it, so that it would force some people to watch it.

I thought Guatemala was a lot of fun, but Jeff and the Survivor team hate it so all the great characters that season are doomed to irrelevance.

It's a shame.

Darksol

So after last season which I thought was shit, this season (Palau) I really enjoyed. Finally, they had a final 3 immunity challenge that lasted longer than a few hours. Tom and rat face fought it out for about 12 hours.

In most seasons, the editors try and make it seem as though the final vote will be close, but man oh man, there was no real way to do that this season. Tom rightfully won that by a landslide. It probably didn't help that Katie told off most of the jury who asked her a question.

Good season! And one of the few winners of the show I actually liked.

kirblar

So after last season which I thought was shit, this season (Palau) I really enjoyed. Finally, they had a final 3 immunity challenge that lasted longer than a few hours. Tom and rat face fought it out for about 12 hours.

In most seasons, the editors try and make it seem as though the final vote will be close, but man oh man, there was no real way to do that this season. Tom rightfully won that by a landslide. It probably didn't help that Katie told off most of the jury who asked her a question.

Good season! And one of the few winners of the show I actually liked.
Ian apparently threw the game away by quitting at F3, according to the jury.

Darksol

Ian apparently threw the game away by quitting at F3, according to the jury.

Yeah, he stepped down from the competition in order to get back Tom's respect. Or do you mean, the jury later said that had Ian made the final two with Tom they would have voted Ian?

Almost done the first episode of Guatemala. Weird to see returning cast just for the hell of it.

Apt101

I only watched a partial episode when it first came out at a girlfriend's house. I didn't care for it, it just seemed like cheaply produced fluff. But I noticed that it was becoming wildly popular and realized what the future of TV would be for a while (reality, reality, reality).

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I only watched the first season of Survivor and had my fill. I've tried to get into it numerous times since (like last season) but I can't, I just find it boring for some reason.

Yet somehow the rigged mess that is Big Brother manages to stay entertaining enough to keep me tuned...

After watching Naked and Afraid, I'll never watch Survivor again.

Yes I know they're different shows, but Naked and Afraid is far more satisfying in terms of seeing people survive the elements in addition to the social drama.

I think ultimately it was a combination of things; the location/environment was tough on the cast and crew, the final 4-5
are pretty much the exact opposite of what gets Jeff excited
, the season was edited terribly which affected the perception of the season, and there were poor ratings and a pretty negative reception to the season from fans.

Like several seasons, though, I think perception has improved somewhat over time and there's definitely been a quiet respect for the eventual winner.

Darksol

I think ultimately it was a combination of things; the location/environment was tough on the cast and crew, the final 4-5
are pretty much the exact opposite of what gets Jeff excited
, the season was edited terribly which affected the perception of the season, and there were poor ratings and a pretty negative reception to the season from fans.

Like several seasons, though, I think perception has improved somewhat over time and there's definitely been a quiet respect for the eventual winner.

Well now I'm kind of excited to push on and see this ^_^

I will give them something though. First thing they did was go on an 11 mile race to their camp. By the end of the day it seemed like half the members of each tribe were puking their guts out. Now that's what I call physical exertion :)

BowieZ

Banned
Well now I'm kind of excited to push on and see this ^_^

I will give them something though. First thing they did was go on an 11 mile race to their camp. By the end of the day it seemed like half the members of each tribe were puking their guts out. Now that's what I call physical exertion :)
To this day still the greatest reward challenge IMHO (what a reward for the winning tribe!).

Camwi

Boston Rob is garbage and extremely overrated as a player. Dude would never have won if it wasn't for the fact that his tribe literally idolized him and never thought to vote him out.

noshten

Boston Rob is garbage and extremely overrated as a player. Dude would never have won if it wasn't for the fact that his tribe literally idolized him and never thought to vote him out.

Why would he be overrated, it's just people like Rob/Kim/Brian make boring winners because they are so in control of the seasons they win. I don't think they are overrated - just lucky that circumstances allowed them to make it far without major obstacles. Most winners require luck but usually cult leaders are the people that manage to make the game look easy and people overlook the circumstances that allowed them to lead their tribes while turning them into cheerleaders in the eventual win.
There is nothing overrated about being able to control a whole tribe .

BowieZ

Banned
I find it to be "reality" tv show garbage just like most other "reality" tv.
Fair enough, but that's like saying Two and a Half Men is "comedy garbage" like Arrested Development.

The reality genre like most genres is extremely broad and caters to many different appetites. Some shows are extremely tasteless and cater to the lowest denominator, whereas others pride themselves on their integrity and unique structure and design.

Survivor is unlike any other reality show, in fact, it's barely in the reality show genre. It's a reality competition game show, that just so happens to rely somewhat on the personalities of its contestants to actually direct the outcome of the game. The closest shows that come to it don't hold a candle to it for one reason or another.

However, if the personalities of real people and the evolution of strategic gameplay don't interest you, then I can see why you'd think the show is rubbish!

Darksol

Guatemala done, now onto Panama. Jeff doubling down on this buried idol, multiple teams "twist". Interested to see what happens.

PS: This is season 12. What season do they ignite the race war? I can't wait to get me some controversial television.

TheYanger

Guatemala done, now onto Panama. Jeff doubling down on this buried idol, multiple teams "twist". Interested to see what happens.

PS: This is season 12. What season do they ignite the race war? I can't wait to get me some controversial television.

13, cook Islands. It's really not that controversial, they just tried to advertise it that way.

Darksol

13, cook Islands. It's really not that controversial, they just tried to advertise it that way.

Damn. Ah well :p

Few episodes in so far (playing in the background as I free roam in Metal Gear -- how's that for multitasking?) This season introduced "Exile Island", which seems like an interesting concept. Do they keep this around, or is this a Panama only thing?

TheYanger

Damn. Ah well :p

Few episodes in so far (playing in the background as I free roam in Metal Gear -- how's that for multitasking?) This season introduced "Exile Island", which seems like an interesting concept. Do they keep this around, or is this a Panama only thing?

Exile Island is pretty commonly used. It's more interesting in some seasons than others, like most new additions.

Darksol

It reappears in various iterations on and off throughout the rest of the series (including very recently).

Exile Island is pretty commonly used. It's more interesting in some seasons than others, like most new additions.

Interesting.

Just finished season 12. I wish
the astronaut
won. Once he got the boot, I wished
Terry
would win. Predictably, neither did. Oh well. I wasn't surprised to learn that cigarettes weren't the first thing Shane kicked. Courtney was unbelievably annoying.

Fun season up until the last episode :p

Onto Cook Islands!

muteki

I watch it a lot mostly because it is one of few things we can agree on to watch.

The only things I don't like are a lack of variation in the environments, and the constant cuts to wildlife they are constantly trying to play off as being right there in camp. I really found the seasons not on a beach to be interesting.

TheYanger

I watch it a lot mostly because it is one of few things we can agree on to watch.

The only things I don't like are a lack of variation in the environments, and the constant cuts to wildlife they are constantly trying to play off as being right there in camp. I really found the seasons not on a beach to be interesting.

I have thought that a lot recently too. I think they should vary the locales more, but the problem is the seasons when they didn't do that were almost always the lowest rated in terms of viewership. Australia being the obvious outlier, but like Africa did really badly and they basically stopped doing anything that didn't have huge bodies of water nearby then and there. China is the only other one I can think of. And I think they still had a beach? maybe not.

Darksol

Cowboy may have been crazy but that idea of his to force split votes to lessen the power of hidden immunity is pretty damn smart. If future season's players are bright, I assume they use that tactic as well.

BowieZ

Banned
Cowboy may have been crazy but that idea of his to force split votes to lessen the power of hidden immunity is pretty damn smart. If future season's players are bright, I assume they use that tactic as well.
PLAN VOODOO IS IN EFFECT!

Darksol

So Cook Islands was probably my favourite season since the first.
Yul
was certainly my favourite, and they actually won, so I was happy ^_^ But most of the final players that remained were all reasonably deserving, I think. It was an interesting season.

Onto season 14!

BowieZ

Banned
So Cook Islands was probably my favourite season since the first.
Yul
was certainly my favourite, and they actually won, so I was happy ^_^ But most of the final players that remained were all reasonably deserving, I think. It was an interesting season.

Onto season 14!
Yeah Cook Islands is the very dawn of modern Survivor, I think. Fiji is good (won't spoil it) but let me just say it really picks up from China...

GamerJM

Banned
I watched it religiously as a kid, up until the Exile Island season, and I still watched for a while after that. I liked it back then but I've grown an immense distaste for reality TV over the years as my family still watches a lot of it. Though I will say that reading about early seasons here kind of makes me feel nostalgic.

Edit: Looking at the seasons now, I think I stopped watching after 14, though my family watched up until 22 I think and from 15-22 I was usually in the room so it was kinda background noise. Now they still watch a ton of other reality shows though. I definitely watched like everything from 1-14, and was totally into it up until 12 when Exile Island was introduced and I started to get fatigue. I remember thinking the Pearl Islands-All Star stretch was amazing but that could just be nostalgia/me being at the right age.

BowieZ

Banned
I watched it religiously as a kid, up until the Exile Island season, and I still watched for a while after that. I liked it back then but I've grown an immense distaste for reality TV over the years as my family still watches a lot of it. Though I will say that reading about early seasons here kind of makes me feel nostalgic.

Edit: Looking at the seasons now, I think I stopped watching after 14, though my family watched up until 22 I think and from 15-22 I was usually in the room so it was kinda background noise. Now they still watch a ton of other reality shows though. I definitely watched like everything from 1-14, and was totally into it up until 12 when Exile Island was introduced and I started to get fatigue. I remember thinking the Pearl Islands-All Star stretch was amazing but that could just be nostalgia/me being at the right age.
Watch 15! So good. Then watch 18 if you liked that.

Camwi

Why would he be overrated, it's just people like Rob/Kim/Brian make boring winners because they are so in control of the seasons they win. I don't think they are overrated - just lucky that circumstances allowed them to make it far without major obstacles. Most winners require luck but usually cult leaders are the people that manage to make the game look easy and people overlook the circumstances that allowed them to lead their tribes while turning them into cheerleaders in the eventual win.
There is nothing overrated about being able to control a whole tribe .

I agree with the last statement. Being able to control a whole tribe is an accomplishment, but really only if you've got some strong characters that you have to navigate around.

99% of the people on Rob's tribe wanted him to win from the very start. Rob practically coasted.

Plus, as Jigorath said, taking four attempts to finally win (and only really because his tribe worshipped him) makes him overrated, especially since I always hear his name brought up as one of the all-time greats in Survivor history.

MikeyB

I think I saw 20 minutes of a season finale in 1997. Based on that and what I've read, I'll keep my TV watching to watch a movie instead.

BowieZ

Banned
I think I saw 20 minutes of a season finale in 1997. Based on that
Well that's a bit silly... and a bit anachronistic... :p

But seriously, if you don't like the idea of a living breathing chess game, then fair enough, this show isn't for your :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom