• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on "Survivor"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's one of my favorite shows. Yeah, not every season is a winner, but the format is very strong, and there have been so many incredible moments over the years. It's a show that I can appreciate on so many different levels.

Survivor-GAF is always my favourite part of GAF. Can't wait for s31 to start!

Yeah, the Survivor threads are always great. Even when the season is bad (like that disaster last season), I always have fun just from talking about the show on GAF. No better place to be on Wednesday night.

Darksol

Season 6 thoughts: they didn't deserve to win.

It's the first season I vehemently disagree with them winning.

EDIT: I liked learning in the reunion that Matt explained how he basically pulled a Hamlet in convincing people he was crazy.

BowieZ

Banned

EDIT: I liked learning in the reunion that Matt explained how he basically pulled a Hamlet in convincing people he was crazy.
This is why I would recommend Vanuatu over Amazon, though I didn't want to spoil the outcome for anyone. Though personally I really love the season despite the outcome; it's when simple alliance strategy really evolved in the game.

Grexeno

Matt shows that 3 days of strategic competence doesn't cause people to forget about the 36 days of socially awkward craziness that came before it.

Darksol

This is why I would recommend Vanuatu over Amazon, though I didn't want to spoil the outcome for anyone. Though personally I really love the season despite the outcome; it's when simple alliance strategy really evolved in the game.

I'll let you know what I think when I get there. I seem to be knocking out a season every other day (have it playing in the background a lot as I work :p ) What season is Vanuatu?

Matt shows that 3 days of strategic competence doesn't cause people to forget about the 36 days of socially awkward craziness that came before it.

Also true.

One last season 6 comment: Rob is a poor man's Brian. Similar strategy as Brian, what with trying to be a puppet-master, but definitely not as effective.

mclem

I've been watching a Korean show called "The Genius: Rules of the Game" as of late; the amount of scheming, backstabbing, betrayal, and just general hilarity that occurs in a single episode of the show puts even the best seasons of Survivor to shame. Highly recommend it if you like Survivor.

I want to second that. The Genius is great, and the challenges are more to my taste than many of those on Survivor - and Bumdi does a fantastic job of subbing it.

Grexeno

One last season 6 comment: Rob is a poor man's Brian. Similar strategy as Brian, what with trying to be a puppet-master, but definitely not as effective.
This is wildly incorrect. Rob Cesternino and Brian Heidik play wildly different games.

jett

D-Member
It has become really formulaic, but it's still entertaining, more or less. Everything comes down to casting.

where are the animals? where is the wildlife?

They've had a few seasons that have had run-ins with the local wildlife (elephants in Gabon, crocodiles in Guatemala, etc.) but the show has minimized to the point of irrelevance the importance of the location and its environment. Most local wildlife on the show now appears in brief, not-so-subtle shots that set up gameplay narratives, i.e. a snake slithering along the ground, a spider devouring prey, and so on.

noshten

They've had a few seasons that have had run-ins with the local wildlife (elephants in Gabon, crocodiles in Guatemala, etc.) but the show has minimized to the point of irrelevance the importance of the location and its environment. Most local wildlife on the show now appears in brief, not-so-subtle shots that set up gameplay narratives, i.e. a snake slithering along the ground, a spider devouring prey, and so on.

Cmon guys you missed all the monkey sex last season:

Survivor%2BWorlds%2BApart%2BShirin%2Bsees%2Bmonkey%2Bsex.jpg

I hope Shirin isn't as annoying in the new season.

Darksol

late Season 7 thoughts:
Fuck you motherfucking fucks taking out Rupert. I hope the island burns to the fucking ground and your bodies are left to the wild animals.

Grexeno

late Season 7 thoughts:
Fuck you motherfucking fucks taking out Rupert. I hope the island burns to the fucking ground and your bodies are left to the wild animals.
Why, exactly, should everyone simply lie down and let him waltz to the money? Pearl Islands is a top tier season because even without him the season stays awesome.

I'm a fan as you can tell by my Avatar. I've seen every episode but not a fanatic where I could name even half the locations or players.
I'm much more of a Big Brother fan now. 40 minutes a week is not enough.

Darksol

Why, exactly, should everyone simply lie down and let him waltz to the money? Pearl Islands is a top tier season because even without him the season stays awesome.

They shouldn't. It's fair game, and in their position I'd probably do the same :p But now I have to watch several episodes of people I don't care about play the rest of this out >.<

BowieZ

Banned
They shouldn't. It's fair game, and in their position I'd probably do the same :p But now I have to watch several episodes of people I don't care about play the rest of this out >.<
One of the remaining people played the game far better than Rupert and was far more likeable.

When you take a step back.

The right person won.

I remember quite some years back I heard a lot of things about this show, and was being suggested to watch it by a lot of people. What sealed the deal is that the upcoming season had "Ken" - one of the greatest Smash Bros players ever as a contestant. As a big competitive Smash fan, this is what sealed the deal and it was so funny to see him on the show.

Ever since then, I haven't really watched it. An episode here or there, but nothing consistent. I keep saying I'm going to watch another season.

Just for the record, what is a good starting point? What are the best seasons?

BowieZ

Banned
I remember quite some years back I heard a lot of things about this show, and was being suggested to watch it by a lot of people. What sealed the deal is that the upcoming season had "Ken" - one of the greatest Smash Bros players ever as a contestant. As a big competitive Smash fan, this is what sealed the deal and it was so funny to see him on the show.

Ever since then, I haven't really watched it. An episode here or there, but nothing consistent. I keep saying I'm going to watch another season.

Just for the record, what is a good starting point? What are the best seasons?
I suggest Tocantins (S18) as it's HD and kind of a "back to basics" season but still full of interesting strategy and characters. It's also the season that comes directly after Gabon (S17) which had Ken. Gabon is considered one of the weakest seasons (although I personally love the clusterfuckery of it all) so just know that Survivor is typically much better than what you would've seen so far.

Then if you can handle SD, try Pearl Islands (S7) and/or Palau (S10), two of the more advanced early era seasons.

Depending on how you go with these, you might get hooked, in which case go back and watch the list of seasons I mention in the OP, to get you up to speed for Season 31.

Otherwise, the absolute top tier of the remainder of the bunch: S15 (China), S25 (Philippines), and S28 (Cagayan).

Used to be a big fan, tried to get back into it for a few seasons and then lost interest again.
Same here, was a big fan at first and stopped after the Russell seasons as it got really boring. I even got some family into it and they still watch. But watching 2 seasons of survivor and the amazing race every year just gets boring after awhile.

I've been thinking about trying to watch the upcoming season. If there's anytime to come back it's before Jeff leaves, as those two shows really rely on their hosts Jeff and Phil.

DeviantBoi

I'm a huge fan of the series.

Can't remember when I started watching... it was either China or Gabon. I haven't missed an episode ever since.

This and The Amazing Race are the only reality TV shows that I watch.

I still feel that Russell was robbed in Samoa.

BowieZ

Banned

Can't remember when I started watching... it was either China or Gabon. I haven't missed an episode ever since.

He maybe could have come into Final Tribal with an apologetic but assertive speech and won over those whom he mockingly disposed, but instead he was brutish and dismissive, and utterly lacking in the necessary social awareness to handle the butthurt jury. If your game involves cruel blindsides, prepare to make necessary amends.

..Nat..
did a great job that season. My one regret in life is being blinded by the Russell train and completely ignoring the subtle but substantial character development and gameplay hunches of the true sole survivor, until I viewed the season for a second time. Dat epik jury speech ;)

kirblar

Bitter juries aren't born, they're created.

There was a ton of shit Russell was doing (making fun of people as they were being voted out) that wasn't making the TV show. They were more honest in HvV with his editing.

Darksol

End of Season 7 thoughts:
I'm glad Sandra won (well, it was the next best thing after Rupert leaving)

Super excited for Season 8 (All Stars). Just watched the intro and definitely think it'll be an interesting time. It'll be great to see some of my favourites (Rupert, Richard, Tom, Lex, etc.) as well as to (hopefully) see a couple of the douchebags like Rob voted off again :)

First few episodes update:
I'm sad to see Rudy go. I'm glad Rupert is still kicking around and catching fish. Surprised Ethan dodged immediate elimination (unlike Tina), and holy fuck Richard, biting the shark that bit him, lol

Grexeno

whats the best seasons to rewatch?
Well, if you want to catch up for Cambodia - Second Chance:

S1 - Borneo
S2 - The Australian Outback
S7 - Pearl Islands
S12 - Exile Island
S15 - China
S18 - Tocantins
S19 - Samoa
S25 - Philippines
S27 - Blood vs. Water
S28 - Cagayan
S29 - San Juan Del Sur
S30 - Worlds Apart

I started watching it last year. I always thought it was stupid but after finally watching it I got hooked. I've watched all the HD seasons on Hulu. It's so good. Now I'm going back and watching the nonHD ones.

I just don't like the way people vote for winners. They tend to choose the nice person who skated by instead of the agressive gameplayer.

Jaeson or however you spell it put it well though when he said that the Russell is the annoying guy at work. You don't want to give that guy money.

Grexeno

I just don't like the way people vote for winners. They tend to choose the nice person who skated by instead of the agressive gameplayer.
They vote for the aggressive gameplayer more often that you give them credit for, unless that person gives them a reason not to vote for them. Russell Hants, for instance, just sucks at Survivor.

Jaeson or however you spell it put it well though when he said that the Russell is the annoying guy at work. You don't want to give that guy money.

Yep, and that's how the game works by design. The very first season had "bitter" jurors -- hell, the most famous moment in the history of the show was a result of one. Winning isn't just about getting to the end by any means possible, it's about getting to the end in a way that secures you the votes of the people you (probably) had a hand in voting off, which is why that fundamental concept has functioned so well for 30 seasons.

Darksol

Season 8: Lost all interest after
Rupert
was voted off. The final three were all insufferable pricks.

Great season overall, but this is the second season to feature a really shitty outcome, in my opinion.

Parch

It has become really formulaic, but it's still entertaining, more or less. Everything comes down to casting.
Yeah, it has.
I've always thought of it more like a game show. It's fun to watch but there really isn't much story worth remembering when the goal is the same. You change players, but who really gives a shit who won Wheel of Fortune 10 years ago.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, it has.
I've always thought of it more like a game show. It's fun to watch but there really isn't much story worth remembering when the goal is the same. You change players, but who really gives a shit who won Wheel of Fortune 10 years ago.

Yeah.

I don't know how people remember the names of the some of these winners. :p

Yeah.

I don't know how people remember the names of the some of these winners. :p

A lot of it is just seeing the seasons multiple times. But the important distinction between Survivor and more typical game shows is that the personalities of its contestants are (ideally) the focal point of the show, rather than the game's mechanics. It's what breathes life into every one of the game's big moments.

Hit the nail on the head, OP. I feel like Survivor and Big Brother are some of the best shows on TV, but are dismissed by some because they're reality shows.

Shame

BowieZ

Banned
Season 8: Lost all interest after
Rupert
was voted off. The final three were all insufferable pricks.

Great season overall, but this is the second season to feature a really shitty outcome, in my opinion.
Hopefully you'll like Vanuatu better!

BowieZ

Banned
PS our Cagayan marathon is tomorrow (Sunday), 6 of us plus probably a couple coming later in the day (they will be watching the first episode at least at home to familiarise with the players).

Third one I've held (after nightly Worlds Apart viewing parties, we did Tocantins then Pearl Islands)...

Should be good!

Darksol

Hopefully you'll like Vanuatu better!

7 episodes so far and it's probably the first season where I've thought: Fuck it. I don't care. I'm hoping things turn around, but I'm suspecting this season will be easily forgettable for me.

Here's hoping I like the next season more ^_^

kirblar

7 episodes so far and it's probably the first season where I've thought: Fuck it. I don't care. I'm hoping things turn around, but I'm suspecting this season will be easily forgettable for me.

It's worth watching, but most of the season is really bleh.

10 is good, then 11-14 is Dark Ages 1. 15 starts resugence 1. 21-24 is dark ages II, 25+ is resurgence 2.

BowieZ

Banned

Eep. Did you end up making it through? :/

Anyway, I'm not saying Vanuatu is one of the best seasons but I would've suspected that without nostalgia Amazon would not be the more entertaining of the two.

But yes, it really ramps up in Season 10, and Season 11 is a personal favorite of mine and a natural continuation of Season 10 (you'll see what I mean if/when you get there).

I disagree that 11-13 is a dark ages, maybe 14 is, and 12 is probably a little anticlimactic if you don't have a natural connection with the eventual winner (I was in love with the winner from the first episode).

15-16, 18 and 20 are definitely extremely strong seasons, though with 17 and 19 being extremely entertaining and/or fascinating... you may experience some ups and downs but you definitely have a lot of exceptional Survivor coming up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom