• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on "Survivor"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maengun1

It's great. It and The Amazing Race are the two reality shows that I still never miss.

Russell Hantz ruined survivor.

For a couple years, yes his influence did a lot of damage but the show recovered and has been really good lately.

hydruxo

I used to watch it almost religiously the first 5 or so seasons, then it just became more or less the same thing in a new location every season and it tapered off. I'm honestly shocked that it's still around, even more so that it outlasted American Idol.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
can't watch these reality shows anymore, they so blatantly fake you wonder why the hell you're wasting your time for. Only Masterchef resists because it's mildly amusing , even tho that one is even faker

Couleurs

I used to watch it almost religiously the first 5 or so seasons, then it just became more or less the same thing in a new location every season and it tapered off. I'm honestly shocked that it's still around, even more so that it outlasted American Idol.

Yeah some of the first few seasons were pretty bad, but you should try anything after Guatemala (season 11), when the hidden immunity idol was added. It really added a lot of strategy to the game and led to some awesome twists at Tribal Council.

tinders

I caught the Survivor bug after randomly seeing the final episode of Season 1 way back when. Fell in love.

I didn't miss an episode from then until the end of All Stars when the show disappeared from Australian TV. When it returned with Gabon jumped straight back on the bandwagon.

It's me and my GFs favorite show on TV. We spend hours each week discussing possible scenarios and twists, and yelling abuse at our least favorites.

I'd love to catch up the 10 seasons that I missed in the middle some day, just to see what I missed.

Can't wait for Survivor to be back!!

I absolutely love it. I watched S1 through most of S3 back in the day and for some reason just stopped for awhile. Had no interest in it anymore but my brother, mother, and myself caught the end of Pearl Islands with my cousins whatever year that was and got hooked all over again. Haven't missed an episode since.

I do think we hit a rough patch starting with Season 21 and we still aren't out of it yet. I'm tired of the themed seasons. I liked themed by location.

Oh, and golden age is totally S9-S20. :p

Amazing Race is the only other reality show I watch and love it just as much. That show depends more on the people to keep it entertaining but it's also easier to rewatch since pit stops aren't as long as the tribal council!

TheYanger

I think it stinks!The producers kicked me and my friends off Tarutao island because they were filming, even though we had a permit for the whole weekend.
Deserted island my ass, they brought so much shit it looked like a movie set.

I mean...of course they bring a bunch of shit? They have an entire production crew and camera equipment and challenges to construct for like an entire month.

Survivor
Amazing Race
Shark Tank

Those are my top 3 reality TV favourites, in that order.

I like all three, and watch The Amazing Race regularly. I only watch Shark Tank on occasion, but I've watched a lot of Dragon's Den in the past.

I've always liked Undercover Boss and Intervention, too.

I've been on and off with Survivor since it started. Watched the first 3-4 seasons and then dropped it for a LOOOOONG time. Came back and have been hooked again since the Racist Survivor(White/Black/Hispanic/Asian Tribes). That was freaking great.

Best Reality TV show ever!

Darksol

Watching them on a whim since I had only seen the first and second season. I'm now on season 4, and this may as well be the Jesus season. I swear, every episode features prayer circles and numerous shouts out to Jesus. Coupled with the American flag, this has been an interesting season.

amaretto

It took a dark, dark turn around RI/SOPA but Cagayan really pulled me back in & I've been watching since.

But man, this show has produced some absolutely fascinating people & amazing seasons.

kirblar

Watching them on a whim since I had only seen the first and second season. I'm now on season 4, and this may as well be the Jesus season. I swear, every episode features prayer circles and numerous shouts out to Jesus. Coupled with the American flag, this has been an interesting season.
Skip 5. Just trust us, skip 5.

Darksol

Skip 5. Just trust us, skip 5.

Now I'm definitely watching 5 :p

My chronological brain won't let me skip seasons anyways. I usually throw them on in the background when I'm doing random work, so I don't care if it's awful :p

Any reason 5 should be skipped?

amaretto

Now I'm definitely watching 5 :p

My chronological brain won't let me skip seasons anyways. I usually throw them on in the background when I'm doing random work, so I don't care if it's awful :p

Any reason 5 should be skipped?

It's painfully boring. And the handful of times it isn't boring it's just downright disturbing and unpleasant.

But it does have Jan.

Linus

Neo Member
I really like the concept but I don't like the way these guys do it. A lot of reality shows are all bullshit and mostly scripted.

BowieZ

Banned
Season 4 finale -- people are finally calling them out for being religious hypocrites. About time!
Glad to see you're catching up!

I think you can generally walk into a season and be confident everyone will get their due cummuppence and the winner will deserve it and you will feel good about them winning (I mean, this is mostly because the jury wants to feel good about the winner too, which is why Survivor is unique in reality TV). Season 4 more or less follows this pattern.

I won't spoil which seasons don't quite follow this pattern :p

BowieZ

Banned
Fuck me, 31 seasons? I liked Season 2 but I gave up after that.
I really strongly recommend checking out a more modern season where it turned into a deeper game of strategy. It's like watching a living breathing game of chess (with survival elements thrown in for good measure).

It's so good. Like nothing else. There's a reason it's lasted 31+ seasons. ;)

I recommend Tocantins (S18) as a good starting point.

noshten

Russell Hantz ruined survivor.

It's actually the opposite I feel like it brought new viewers into the show and changed the gameplay. Mr. Hantz galvanized the game for him the problem was simply the fact that Survivor over indulging him and his family after his debut. If they had not cast him directly into H&V I feel he might have come off much better. To me it wasn't a problem of Hantz but rather of production - they sort of ran his character into the ground by constantly casting him. Rob had a similar problem but at least he didn't purposely sabotage his tribe and his image came off much better due to being voted out early into H&V.

Anyhow I personally enjoy most seasons of Survivor, I enjoy even unpopular seasons like Thailand(His majesty Mr. Freeze), Gabon(Sugar was actually mini Hantz), Vanuatu(Chris is a master manipulator), Nicaragua(Fabio/Naonka/Sash) etc. The only seasons I don't enjoy are Blood vs. Water seasons and Fans vs Favorites seasons.

It's painfully boring. And the handful of times it isn't boring it's just downright disturbing and unpleasant.

But it does have Jan.

clip_image020_thumb1.jpg

Jan is like the worst person out there, Thailand was good due to the awful people that made up that season and the worthy winner that is MR FREEZE the one true villain winner in 31 seasons of Survivor who nearly lost to Racist Clay. The Sook Jai tribe getting decimated by a bunch of old folks, the sexual innuendo of Jake Billingsley. Thailand might be unpleasant but it's a great watch - just listening to the entire final 4 all praising Brian without having an idea what he is saying behind their backs and watching how sour they all are in the Reunion. The total sociopath that completely divorced his emotions from the game while making everyone who he deemed important trust him to the bitter end.

Season 2 and the first All-Star season where Boston Rob owned everyone are the two best seasons I saw. They were both super fun to watch. I've watched off and on since, but it hasn't been as interesting to me.

BowieZ

Banned
Season 2 and the first All-Star season where Boston Rob owned everyone are the two best seasons I saw. They were both super fun to watch. I've watched off and on since, but it hasn't been as interesting to me.
Have you marathoned any season? Or did you just watch a few episodes here and there? I do recommend marathoning a season and feel that moreish addictive "who's going next?! who will win this? holy shit that was a crazy blindside" feeling hook you.

Kozak

Banned
I like the show but it only ever grabbed me in the two seasons Russel Hantz was on.

What an absolute MACHINE!

Made everyone look pathetic and then at the end everyone was so salty about it.

The guy was totally a bad person haha

Parch

I've probably missed only a couple of episodes throughout all the seasons, but I still wouldn't call myself a super fan. I pretty much brain dump a season when it's done. I've never marathoned a season. I just watch week to week when it's on.

I am a bit impressed by these super fans who retain so much info. They know everybody and every detail while I barely remember a face from an old season. That's dedication at a level that I'd never go.

Good show that I rarely miss, but I'm not obsessed about it.

Darksol

I think the last man standing final immunity challenge in season 5 is pretty nifty. That Thai standing position against the boards, holding 6 coins between the digits.

Thoughts about the winner of season 5: deserved it.

Jan is like the worst person out there, Thailand was good due to the awful people that made up that season and the worthy winner that is MR FREEZE the one true villain winner in 31 seasons of Survivor who nearly lost to Racist Clay. The Sook Jai tribe getting decimated by a bunch of old folks, the sexual innuendo of Jake Billingsley. Thailand might be unpleasant but it's a great watch - just listening to the entire final 4 all praising Brian without having an idea what he is saying behind their backs and watching how sour they all are in the Reunion. The total sociopath that completely divorced his emotions from the game while making everyone who he deemed important trust him to the bitter end.

Pretty much my thoughts.

LOLDSFAN

Outside of the anime that's on Toonami, this is the only thing I consistently watch on TV.

I could never get into any of the other shows like Amazing Race.

Grexeno

I noticed a lot of people saying they fell off the bandwagon between Season 2 and Season 5. This is probably because every one of those seasons is at least some variation on a Pagonging (the tribe with more people after the merge picks off the other tribe one by one).

I would suggest these people watch Survivor: The Amazon.

BowieZ

Banned
I noticed a lot of people saying they fell off the bandwagon between Season 2 and Season 5. This is probably because every one of those seasons is at least some variation on a Pagonging (the tribe with more people after the merge picks off the other tribe one by one).

I would suggest these people watch Survivor: The Amazon.
I would recommend Vanuatu (S9) as I do feel it's the slightly more satisfying men-vs-women season from that era, and it's right in that nice fully-developed phase.

I'd also recommend quite a few others first, but that might give away the type of outcome you referred to. ;)

SupaNaab

My fiance and I watch Survivor a lot. I think people get annoyed that the show isn't primarily about surviving in a jungle. The show is much better thought of as a very controlled game show about social dynamics where the contestants compete in competitions while being gradually malnourished. You have to watch Season 20 to get it in my opinion. That first episode is pretty crazy.

It's kind of bizarre to think that the show has been a relatively constant part of my life for a majority of it. I missed a few seasons in college but quickly caught up, and starting with the very first episode in 2000 I've almost certainly seen more than 90% of the episodes as they first aired, which I guess is a pretty damning indictment of me in some sense.

Although I don't share a lot of the disdain for newer fans that a lot of old schoolers have, I do generally think that the show has dulled over time. The strength of the concept and some fantastic casting choices have saved it from irrelevance, but it really does feel like a large part of each cast now sees the show as a means to break into the industry and develop connections rather than win, as winning Survivor means a great deal less now than it did in August of 2000.

I also don't really share the view that some writers have expressed over the years about Survivor being a microcosm of (American) culture worthy of examination or providing some sort of meaningful insight. For me, the show was a chance to see the kinds of people I could never encounter in my hometown. Watching an artificially diverse cast try and form an ad hoc society while competing in a game show was quite amazing. It still is, in the rare event we get to see it amid all "strategy" and abstractions.

And of course, having been one of the Survivor nerds who rushed to read all the recaps and columns the day after, it's sort of neat to now live in an era where all of us can gather and react in real time. SurvivorGAF is pretty chill relative to the other fan hangouts.

Evilisk

Used to watch this show all the time when I was younger. Followed most of the early seasons until I think the season with Rupert (still da best guy). Haven't really watched since though I did catch some of Russell's season and the Heroes vs Villains season when they aired it over here (got nostalgic watching the HvV season)

Total Drama Island is better.

I don't know about better but I personally like Total Drama. I personally liked that they reused players because I always liked imagining how casts would play out a second time and with knowledge of the other players

Island and World Tour were pretty good imo. Action was bad. The seasons with the all new casts were great but were too short for my liking

I remember watching the show at the first season, and continued watching through season 6 or 7(it was one of the first all star survivors seasons, cant remember which) but I just got so burnt out and now I dont even ever want to watch them ever again. :p I remember I was hardcore into reality tv at the time. Also watched amazing race.

kirblar

I would recommend Vanuatu (S9) as I do feel it's the slightly more satisfying men-vs-women season from that era, and it's right in that nice fully-developed phase.

I'd also recommend quite a few others first, but that might give away the type of outcome you referred to. ;)
No, it needs to be amazon. Thats the revolutionary one.

Darksol

I basically just use this as background noise as I do monotonous schoolwork, peering over now and again.

A couple episodes into season 6. Men vs Women in the Amazon. Crazy to see people live 5+ days without building a proper shelter. I hope they kick out the woman hell bent on avoiding the wooden idol, and I hope most of the men get dysentery.

BowieZ

Banned
I remember watching the show at the first season, and continued watching through season 6 or 7(it was one of the first all star survivors seasons, cant remember which) but I just got so burnt out and now I dont even ever want to watch them ever again. :p I remember I was hardcore into reality tv at the time. Also watched amazing race.
Give a more modern season a go! Come on! Try Tocantins or Cagayan. And post your reactions. It's a completely different animal, now, while still remaining sufficiently true to its roots and core tenets. It's so fucking fun, a moreish thrillride of mischievous backstabbing and wondrously invariable karma.

Pedrito

I stopped watching when Russell was finding an hidden immunity idol every week. Seemed ridiculous and staged. Saying that, I think it was in H vs. V, which was one of the best seasons. Parvati owns.

It's funny to think back to Borneo, when everyone really was addicted. It's probably the most predictable season (except for the final vote), with the pagonging. But the concept of voting people off was so fresh at the time. People first tuned in to see who would be the best "outdoorsy person", and instead got this crazy strategy game dominated by the "bad guys". Fun times.

I love survivor, but sometimes life gets busy and I'm behind a week or two and lose all interest in catching up. I like to root for my favorites, and I haven't followed it at all but they are returning favorites, so let's hope Spencer is back

BowieZ

Banned
I stopped watching when Russell was finding an hidden immunity idol every week. Seemed ridiculous and staged.
From all the available evidence, you can safely rule out finding idols ever being staged. Nothing on Survivor needs to be staged. The way they edit it they can highlight enough drama regardless -- there will always be enough twists and crazy coincidences and blindsides with or without the idols actually being found. And if they aren't found, they just provide more clues.

Russell just so happened to be a prodigious workhorse who would literally spend 10+ hours a day looking for idols. There is almost nothing else to do, especially if your tribe is lucky with fire, food and water.

The biggest hint that nothing is staged though is that you can often pinpoint moments where you just know the producers would have loooved another outcome (sometimes early, middle or even at the end of a season), but out of any reality show, Survivor seems to know the structure of the game is solid enough by nature that it doesn't really need to do anything but let people be people.

Darksol

Today I learned that Jenna and Heidi, who got naked for food in season 6, did a Playboy shoot. That was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom