• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you the best at, relative to everyone else?

I don't know why, but I was unstoppable at Knockout Kings 2001 for the PSX.
Give me David Tua, and a functional R1 button, and I think I could win with my eyes closed.

Hansel

Banned
We ❤ Katamari

I was really high on the leaderboards for Beautiful Katamari and I played way more of We ❤ Katamari and was way better at it. It didn't really have anything to do with skill I guess, but I was very determined and very in love with that game.

Raiden

Banned
First person shooters really. I manage to be in the top 3-5 almost everytime and have an averahe K/D of 2.00.

Dunno about proper video games, but I'm pretty damn awesome at Yugioh. So I guess it applies to the Yugioh games they released.

Beyond that, I guess MAYBE Dark Souls or World of Warcraft. Though that latter is more of a curse since I can't actually stand playing WoW any more yet I'm JUST SO DAMN GOOD AT IT. Q_Q

#modesty

I wouldn't be the best at anything. But the closest is either Gears 1 (I was in the top 8,000 in the world at one point) or THPS3 because I can beat it and complete every mission in a couple hours. But I'm pretty sure I've seen people 100% that game in way less time then I have.

Loxley

I can drive like a motherfucker in GTAIV - a game that was heavily criticized by a lot of people for it's weird vehicle handling.

Ce-Lin

Killzone 2 PS3:

I was #1 in KDR, overall kilss, score and headshots for a couple of months until Killionaire got me playing the game non-stop 24/7, I couldn't keep up with him.

Resistance 3 PS3:

Same story, #1 until some crazy good Japanese player arrived.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
WoW by far

At the height of the first raiding tier in Cata I was all like.

B5I4gL7.png

kodecraft

I would say Street Fighter 4.

I would win 50% online ranked matches over like 300 matches. I can beat anyone who DOESN'T know what they're doing... I won't lose to someone who picks up the controller and mashes stuff. I've played in a Tournament and never won a match set against anyone.

That makes me happy.

I'm a way. I'm similar. My style is basic though. I rarely use juggles and link combos. I do use combos though l...but barely. Yet I can kick a good amount of ads , even the fancy players get beat. I'm not cheap either, my man is Cody.

I can play Cody as a rush down and I can turtle Cody. Throws my opponents off. A lot.

nkarafo

F-Zero X

I also beat most people when i play 2D fighting games like Street Fighter and MK. But i was in a competition once and couldn't even get to the 2nd round, although it was a different SF game, on a different gamepad with different controls, so basically i was trying to figure out where is what, lol.

Time Crisis 2

There was a time in my love where I would always do a quick 15 min play through of TC2 after school. Like...hundreds? Learning every enemy location, every bonus bad guy, every way to maximize combos or prolong combo detriation.

I'm the beat at that game brehs. Top 1% in the world at least

Dunno, I'm really good at every game I play but I'm not really the competitive type.
Though I was top 1% on the leaderboards of ME3MP.

Minesweeper, Tekken 5 and 6(Fell off the wagon at TTT2, but hopefully I get back on at T7.), Devil May Cry 4. Uhh,,,Chrono Trigger somehow. Yeah, Somehow.

The "Rumble" puzzle in the Puzzle Pirates MMO (a competitive variant on Bubble Bobble). I was one of the top 10 players across all servers for around a year, practicing at least 2-3 hours a day. At my best I had a >50% winrate against all but the top 2-3 players who I could regularly take games off.

daydream

Banned
I'd say I'm pretty ok at rhythm games.

I was also in the worldwide top 10 for Killzone Liberation despite not being in a clan like most other players. That online mode was fantastic (RIP!).

Resident Evil 4.

That's if I had to pick a single game, and even then I probably wouldn't crack any Top 100 leaderboards of any sort, but still. I have beaten that game more times than I can count. Fresh runs on Professional end up with me overflowing my attache case and having to sell herbs/ammo/etc to the merchant. (I play RE4 in the style of the old games... super conservative with ammo and health). I have gotten decently high scores with everyone except Leon in Mercenaries (because in Mercenaries, everyone is super awesome except for Leon, he kinda sucks, especially against double-chainsaw Dr. Salvador). I routinely do "fun" runs on the main game with just the Red9. Etc etc.

I also got pretty good with the main campaigns of REs 1-3, and had pretty damn good speedruns, especially in RE2. The only thing I kinda sucked at in those games was doing RE3 Mercenaries with Nikolai... getting a good score with him was nearly impossible for me.

At one point, I was also pretty damn good at Guilty Gear XX. Like, tournament-level good (although I never played in a tournament... that's not my thing). I mained about 5 or 6 characters, and I was really, really good with ALL of them. Even beyond that, I knew strategies with the rest of the people I didn't main, and I had the timing down on almost all of the False Roman Cancels in the entire game. But that game was consuming too much of my life at that point, so I had to drop it, and I've forgotten quite a bit by now.

As a genre, I'm consistently fairly good on both 3rd person shooters and most especially 2D platformers. 2D platformers... that's really my jam, man.

Mitch

Banned
Tried to think of a game, but I'm drawing a blank.

If there was a leaderboard for "biggest backlog", I think I'd be pretty high up there.

gngf123

Probably one that does have leaderboards interestingly, either Cloudbuilt or Super Hexagon.

I've been top 100 on most levels in both games. For Cloudbuilt, occasionally in the top 25. Been a while since I've played though.

I was listed on Twin Galaxies' high score list for a handful of early console games; Venture (ColecoVision) and Bank Heist (Atari 2600) were two that I was either the top score or trading back and forth with someone else for the high score. Looking at the current database, it looks like that version of Venture has been removed, but I'm still high on the list for Bank Heist, Frantic Freddy, Jungle Hunt, Donkey Kong Junior, Frogger, Heist (besides Bank Heist, all for the ColecoVision, note that Heist is a completely different game than Bank Heist.)

I don't think it was ever on that list, but I would imagine I'm also one of the better players of Ultimate Wizard (C64) as well. Made it through all 100 levels (or was it 150?) starting from level 1 and without cheating.

Sushi Nao

Ugh, this is tough... I'm an incredibly dedicated gamer, love to go hard on many games... but honestly, I've never been particularly *great* at one game, which surprises some people who see how much I play. There are some games I feel a strong facility with, or certain parts of some games that I definitely excel at, but I'll never reach pro level. Thinking about some examples...

- I'm great at gleaning systems and behind-the-scenes mechanics with minimal information. Just by "feel" I can be like, "oh ok, this system uses this stat number divided by 2 over this period of time" or whatever. It just feels clear.

- I'm an extremely proficient Halo 3 Ghost and Warthog driver, hijacker, and neutralizer. Few games have actually seemed like "work" to me, but I seriously dedicated myself to those roles, and it paid off with some epic vehicle moments for the good of the team.

- I'm a reasonable Mitsurugi and Blanka (SFII) player.

- I'm a ridiculously focused and perfectionist in-game level designer, specifically Halo Forge and, lately, Far Cry 4. I really take pride in how I guide the player via visuals and map pressures and innate knowledge of game flow. I'd love to make maps professionally someday.

- Oh, and Borderlands online often feels like a series of quite muscular button and stick combinations, completed at maximum efficiency in order to keep up with a co-op team, and when it clicks and you're accomplishing all tasks without falling behind, it really feels cool.

SOME-MIST

hidden: source

I'd be pretty high up on the list. I would say pretty easily the top 20 of all time.

team fortress classic would be the next one, but I probably wouldn't even make the top 100 tbh..

MikeyB

Half-life 2 death-match killbox maps were the only things I dominated in any sort of ranked fashion. I haven't played in over two years though.

Amongst my friends, I do really well in Zen Pinball.

~80% win rate on Soul Calibur V's online ranked mode with 100's of matches played.

Top 20 Arakune on Xbox Live based on Player Points in BlazBlue Calamity Trigger

I beat R Type 1 & 2 without dying.

I beat Metal Slug 1 without dying.

A rank clear and no continues on Contra: Shattered Soldier

Regiruler

The only one that comes to mind is Kid Icarus Uprising, but there comes a point where it's less so skill and more so weapon matchups.

system11

Midnight Club 2+3, at one point I held the track records online for every track in the game simultaneously. There were 2-3 people I knew at that kind of level.

Top Bottom