• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you the best at, relative to everyone else?

Unreal Tournament 2004.

There was a period where I played at least 1 match a day since the demo with OS-Torlan came out until like 2010.

Invasion was my favorite mode and I always loved playing defense in Onslaught.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was in top 50 Tager's online in Blazblue CT on XBL back in the day.

Used to have a really solid team in L4D1 for Versus mode. We knew tons of sadistic spots to catch people off guard and frequently wiped teams right outside the starting door.

And Mario Kart 8.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Pappasman

Smash Bros Melee. I go to locals and I went to EVO. I like all fighting games in general, but i put the most time into Melee.

potam

Banned
With the amount of time my friends and I put into Rushing Attack on Madden 06 back in college, I wouldn't be surprised if we wouldn't have been in the top 1%. I'm talking 4 hours a day minimum for like a semester and a half.

sn00zer

Favourite weapons? Probably the magnum for me. Pulling a headshot on an airborne player about to grav gun toss a grenade was my favourite thing. They get knocked back, grenade drops, explodes, and then they fly.

I was always a fan of the crossbow. Kill were so satisfying with that as it had a really weird velocity and bouncing it in small corridors was a legit strategy. Sniping someone across a map who was moving only to see them stapled to the wall...honestly my favorite online DM weapon ever.

Exentryk

Crash Team Racing - Battle Mode (No one beats me here)
Mario Kart 8 - Race Mode (fast as one can go without using fire hopping)

Tetris and Counter-Strike when I was really really really active.
Now nothing anymore I'm really bad at games now I just don't play them enough to be any good anymore.

I am in the top 10 leaderboard for the iOS version of Mutant Mudds. Not sure how that compares to PC, 3ds, or other platforms with the game.

DrKelpo

Banned
after a ton of tries i'm in the top 100 globally of resogun/arcade mode/vetaran difficulty

^^i'm actually quite proud of it

I've always been good at raiding in MMOs, from Everquest 1 to WoW.

I figure the mechanics out quickly, play my role to 100% capacity, come fully prepared with food/flasks to share, and am keenly aware of my surroundings at all times.

Most people are idiots.

Ben thinking about this for a while after reading the OP this morning.

I'd say my best game was Halo 2. I played it every day, a ridiculous amount of time. I ran a clan and was in the top 50 for a while and beat a couple top 10 teams.

My next would be World of Warcraft raiding.

Wasp

Call of Duty. I've completed 4 of them on Veteran.

I find FPS games fairly easy providing they have recharging health and a finite number of enemies, I usually play them on the hardest difficulty otherwise there's no challenge.

Although oddity I'm pretty average playing multiplayer, with a k:d ratio barely higher than 1:1.

Turtles in Time on the SNES. I mastered that game as a kid. I could beat it by throwing every enemy into the screen for max points (that could be thrown) and not getting hit by anything.

Oh and Mega Man X3 only because a friend convinced me if you got to a certain point in the final levels without getting hit the entire game you could get E. Honda's 100 hand slap. It was not there...

Toku

Banned
GoldenEye 007:

20121006233621!GoldenEye007box.jpg

It was the summer of 1998. I was eight years old. I was staying at my uncle's place while my Mom was searching for new house on the other side of the country. We were moving. Everything I knew would be left behind. The Rainbow Market where I stopped to buy candy after school, the looming concrete half pipes built for rain water drainage where I loved to ride my bike, the friends I had known since I knew how to say the word friend. All left behind.

That night my teenage cousin had a few of his friends over and they wound up playing some Nintendo 64. I sat in the corner watching, eager to grow older so I wouldn't feel left out of the fun, too sheepish to raise my voice and ask to play.

Eventually the guys grew bored with their current game, and there was a lull as my cousin rifled through his collection looking for something fun to play. My tiny, eight year old body snapped to attention as he pulled GoldenEye 007 out of a cardboard box and inserted it hastily into the game machine.

"Dun na na nuh, na nuh nuh"

I restrained myself from humming the classic theme as the menus went by. Match after match, my cousin and his friends laughed ferociously as they proceeded to digitally murder each other with hilarious consequence.

"Can I play?"

From somewhere deep within I had mustered the courage to ask, albeit cautiously. A chorus of laughter and whooping filled the room.

"Oh you want to play little guy?"

One of my cousin's friend graciously passed me the controller.

"Go easy on him guys. He's just a kid."

My pulse raced as the camera whirled around my character before leaving me with a tiny quadrant to perceive his violent universe. I moved my fingers with deftness and precision.

BOOM! I snagged a kill with the grenade launcher before the enemy even saw it coming.

BANG! BANG! Automatic fire riddled holes in the digital frames of my weak opponents.

BOOM! Screen-look remote mine kill while the coward ran for the life sustaining body armor.

What smiles were left the room evaporated quickly, until only furrowed brows remained. Finally the frowns gave way to faces that can only be described as distorted with fear.

At that moment nothing mattered. Not the move, not the new school, not even that fact that I would dearly miss my lifelong friends. I had played countless hours of GoldenEye, honing my skills, learning to bank my grenades at just the right angle, all leading up to this moment where I would become a champion.

All the older boys patted me on the back and nodded in approval. I could feel the respect.

And I loved it.

GoldenEye is probably the best I've ever been at a competitive video game. Or maybe this story is tinted by the rose colored glasses of a man looking back on his childhood.

Momentary

Banned
Locally, I usually destroy people in Tekken and Guilty Gear. But I haven't played either in a while since moving to PC. I also did really well at Final Round one year with KOF XI.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Demon's Souls (won a PvP tourney or two) or Dark Souls (cleared all bosses, including DLC ones, at level 1). I'm nowhere near players like LobosJr who beats bosse with his fists or anything, but I think that's gotta be a top 1% thing at least.

I made it to as high as 5th place on the leaderboards for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, maining Viewtiful Joe for the latter 90% of my time. I restarted my account at 8th place I think. I've played people better than me and never got to attend a tourney, but considering it was a fighting game on the Wii, most people weren't playing it to the fullest (or playing it at all really lol). My channel's full of videos of that game; this is probably my best set.

Toku

Banned
I made it to as high as 5th place on the leaderboards for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, maining Viewtiful Joe for the latter 90% of my time. I restarted my account at 8th place I think. I've played people better than me and never got to attend a tourney, but considering it was a fighting game on the Wii, most people weren't playing it to the fullest (or playing it at all really lol). My channel's full of videos of that game; this is probably my best set.

Whoa impressive stuff man. I've never been great at any fighting games, much less those with juggling.

Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES. I won multiple tournaments during college, and never lose in a casual game. Probably my favorite game ever. I'm scared to admit how many hours I've logged on that game.

REDSLATE

I don't think there'd be any one game I'd be ranked near the top in, but I'm pretty decent over a wide variety of games. Think I was level thirty-something in Halo 2 (legitimately). Still the best competitive multiplayer game there is.

zogged

No one I know has dug quite as far down into the Souls pit like I have. Dark Souls 1 I played and loved but never went beyond that. Dark souls 2 I spend well over 200 hours testing builds, rerunning on ng+ several times and I sank more time into the pvp than I think I ever have with a console game.

#1 ranked US player (PSR) in every Blazblue game on both PS3 and 360. Also won a few majors.

Placed top eight in a few Soulcaliber IV and Tekken 5 DR/O tournaments.

Did really well in tournaments for more obscure fighters like Hokuto no Ken, Waka Waka7, and Battle Instinct Matrimelee.

I'm also pretty good at Armored Core 4, TLoU multiplayer, and Puzzle Fighter of all games.

Timeaisis

I used to think Mario Kart, and then I played GAF.

Edit: I was gonna name Papercuts, but I see he's got it covered. Damn you.

RawNuts

Burnout; I was one of the top in the world on Burnout 3, and won an HDTV and surround sound system from a Burnout Paradise competition.

Fun times; since then my interest in being competitive has dropped off significantly.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I was pretty damn good at Rock Band/ Guitar Hero games.
My highest achievement was being at the top 10 guitar score on a Tenacious D song for some weeks.
Other than that, I'm pretty avarage.

Resident Evil 1. I speedrun the game frequently and it is my most played game ever. Not near the top of all time, but I'm pretty good at it.

Top Bottom