• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is a better choice: PSVR or Nintendo Switch?

As an owner of a PS4, I would say Switch.

Don't get me wrong, I'll play Summer Lessons in a heartbeat, but objectively speaking the Switch would be a safer investment.

I own both. I'd argue that PSVR has more quality games at this stage, but Switch is still new. PSVR also has more 'wow' factor with friends/family if that at all matters to you.

That said, Switch will undoubtedly have a stronger library once a few more big titles drop. If you have even a passing interest in Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros or Zelda - then grab a Switch.

kyser73

PSVR/Pro owner here, no Switch bought yet.

Depends on your use case.

If you get the PSVR with the expectation that's where you'll do all your gaming you'll be underwhelmed. There are great games - yes, games not experiences - on PSVR and VR in general, some of which touch on the unique possibilities of VR as a gaming medium. In all cases the current generation of technology holds them back.

Because of that I'd say the PSVR would be worth getting if your purchase can be made without second guessing yourself, and you go in not expecting it to take up 100% of your gaming time, and as noted by Tailzo, family considerations might play a part.

If you like Nintendo games, and/or view gaming on the go as a big plus point get a Switch. Family considerations might also come into play here as well...as in 'Who gets to use the Switch.' :)

I own both. I'd argue that PSVR has more quality games at this stage, but Switch is still new. PSVR also has more 'wow' factor with friends/family if that at all matters to you.

That said, Switch will undoubtedly have a stronger library once a few more big titles drop. If you have even a passing interest in Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros or Zelda - then grab a Switch.

I am all ears =)

budpikmin

Switch has a bright future ahead of it with an announced software lineup of heavy hitters. PSVR is amazing tech but the lineup is thin on the ground. Get a Switch.

LinLeigh

I own both but I find it hard to advise you.

I love my PSVR but don't play it very often. It is a hassle and I have a toddler so I can really only play it at night.

However it is a very unique experience. Visitors always have a go and are amazed by it. I'm still amazed I have this kind of tech in my house. It is unreal.

Now the switch I use a lot more but mainly as an handheld. We occasionally play Mario kart on the TV with my son but it is mainly my vita replacement. It is still missing some handheld games I really want but the future looks good.

alarre1

Neo Member
Had a psvr and returned it to Target after 2 days.

I was disappointed by the tracking and controls, but the headset was top notch.

I plan on getting a Switch as soon as they're readily available.

Kurt

It's strange to ask such question.

PSVR is a flop. Even worse then wii u.
The amount of games and type of games..
Even if there is an AAA game on it, you will play the game without it.
It's also to expensive.

Yeah VR is nice, but not for games. (maybe hololens would change that?)
If you really want to have a VR , you should buy one for PC.

Vinnk

If you travel a lot or have kids or host parties, I think the Switch is a no-brainer.

If you prefer a more solitary experience and you enjoy the styles and types of games VR offers, go with that.

As a dad who has friends over for game night occasionally. The Switch is just about perfect. When my kids are grown up and don't need the kind of supervision I can't give them with a visor on, I will go for VR.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I own both and right now I'd say PSVR. The Switch is great fun but VR is a completely different beast. I'm having a good time with Zelda and Mario Kart but when you hit that sweet spot while playing a VR game, there's nothing quite like it. With Switch you're just getting Zelda again and MK again and Mario again, as fun as they may be, while VR is truly something new and different.

exfatal

When was the last time i've seen Gaf so decisive on something? Get a switch OP not often stars like these align to bring the truth for the opinions you seek

CLEEK

I'll prefix this by saving I own both.

PSVR has a handful of games that validate VR as a genuinely amazing platform, and the hardware itself is decent enough. RE7 on PSVR is a truly astonishing experience, unlike anything else I've ever had in videogaming. Rez, Thumper, Polybius and a few others are all fantastic showcases for both PSVR and VR as a medium.

But the use I've had with PSVR has been very sporadic, due to the lack of must have games. The E3 showings all looked laughably bad. The format need more games of the budget and quality of RE7, not shitty mouse based puzzle games.

Switch is the no brainer. It's Nintendo firing on all cylinders. Lovely hardware, matched up with stellar software. Switch is on target to having the best first year software library in console history. It's worth is for Zelda alone, but MK8D and ARMS are wonderful, Splatoon2 looks ace, and it's getting a new 3D Mario in only a few months.

NolbertoS

Hold my beer....

While I get popcorn. This thread will be locked soom sadly. I say pick what you prefer. I would buy a Switch first as Zelda is my fav series

As a PSVR owner who has played somewhat all VR games for reviews, I'd go with the Switch. PSVR is a nice experience that I wouldn't want to miss but right now it's not more than this 'experience'. As a gamer there would be only one right choice for me.

Guppeth

Switch is safe, PSVR is a gamble.

Switch is easier to play on a train or on the toilet.

I made this decision a couple of months ago and I chose PSVR. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone seeking value for money, but I have no regrets. Even if it turns out to be a flop and there are no more games after 2017, I won't regret owning it, because it's fucking mindblowing. It's not a gimmick, but it might not be a success either.

Spinluck

All the content for PSVR seems to consist mostly of rubbish.

Sony also has an industry worst track record of supporting their own add-ons.

It can't compare to the value of the Switch imo, but then again I love most Nintendo games.

darkwing

All the content for PSVR seems to consist mostly of rubbish.

Sony also has an industry worst track record of supporting their own add-ons.

It can't compare to the value of the Switch imo, but then again I love most Nintendo games.

yes RE7 is rubbish

ffvorax

Hard choice.

VR is a totally new and fantastic experience, with already a nice amount of good games and experiences available.
The switch is still starting slowly, so could wait... but if you are a N fan probably the switch will be more complelling with Zelda out right now.

For VR I would say Resident Evil 7 VR is THE GAME you want to play in VR actually, let's call it the system selling game.

So if you want a new and nice tech VR is really great, can be played in local multiplayer with some games (Playroom VR is a fantastic party game, and also is "i don't remember the name but the game where you need to stop a bomb), online multi experiences, some "complete" expereience games, andalso some shorter but still fun games, there is already a lot of things available.

Switch has less interesting software, but there is Zelda and the upcoming Mario, and others franchises and will be your next main N console.

I say VR only if you like new techs, beacuse it's really good, but its for sure something different and maybe still a bit of niche.

I am all ears =)

Well, for me, Switch has one great game so far - which is Zelda. I've yet to play Arms which appears to be solid. And of course, Mario Kart was on Wii U Which I've played to death. At this stage I'm hanging out for Mario Odyssey and then I'll go from there.

On PSVR I've played, and loved, Thumper, Rez (never played before), RE7 (partially so far) and Farpoint (currently trying to get a bundle of my own). There are also a stack of demos that I've enjoyed (Bound etc).

Again, Switch will undoubtedly have a stronger library soon. But as it stands right now, I don't think the Switch library is anything special.

I also said if there is an even a remote interest in any of Nintendo's big franchise the choice is obvious.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I could have gone with either PSVR or PC VR, since I own both platforms. To be honest, VR hasn't interested me in the least. I guess I'll try it once it becomes a more mainstream peripheral to traditional gaming, if it ever does. But so far, it's been too "niche" and focused on smaller experiences to justify a purchase.

On the other hand, even though I haven't used mine much yet, the Switch is an amazing little device with a bright future ahead. I would rather go with it than with a VR headset.

Hold my beer....
While I get popcorn. This thread will be locked soom sadly. I say pick what you prefer. I would buy a Switch first as Zelda is my fav series

So far this thread has been incredibly civil. If anything, it's people like you who are trying to derail it and turn it into a mess. Pat yourself in the back, dude!

Shin

Banned
However, I don't want to spend $500 on a VR setup that very well could be replaced by a PSVR 2 within a year or two.

More like 3-4 years I'd say and even then it would probably be compatible with PS5 since it isn't really cheap to begin with.
While PSVR seems to be getting traction and bigger (full-fledged) games are starting to release on it (Skyrim, maybe LA Noire) I don't think it will be having as many games as Switch.
Platform vs peripheral, in the here and now Switch would most likely be a better accompanied with your PS4, more choices of games to choose from and/or experiences.

It's what you likemost; both are entire different devices. I like my Switch alot and couldn't get into VR. But if you can VR is amazing.

MoonFrog

If you're interested in Switch games that are announced/out, portability, and/or Nintendo, go Switch. It is going to be better supported than PSVR. It is going to have more different software than your PS4.

If none of the above apply to you and you are super curious/sold on VR, then go VR. If you are just the latter...I'd say try to get both as the games you want come out.

ThisOne

Switch mania bringing out the GameFAQS-tier topics.

Just get whichever one has the games you want to play.

orborborb

I have both and currently would rank the PSVR as more important to me because Breath of the Wild on Wii U is perfectly fine, and nothing else on Switch is essential to me until Super Mario Odyssey. It's hard to say whether Mario Odyssey will outclass Resident Evil 7 PSVR. Of course by the time Mario Odyssey comes out RE7 will probably be compatible with other VR so it's all a matter of what order you want to play these classics and on which systems.

RoyalFool

Banned
One is 4 year old tech with £50 accessories, the other is a revolutionary way to play games.

Unless you have a massive boner for WiiU ports, Vr all the way.

I was keen on VR but ended up getting a Switch.

Haven't been disappointed so far. I'll be getting the Pro+VR setup soon though for RE7 (been waiting on dollars for the set up before dipping in) so very keen to do the comparison in a week or so.

Still, a Switch is a whole new console Vs. an add-on. Better off expanding the library with the 1st yr Nintendo games. Looks like the investment will be much more worth it being a whole console (+ portable!) instead of just the home setup.

Most of my gaming is done on the road atm so the Switch is legit perfect while on work trips/plane/trains.

EDIT:

One is 4 year old tech with £50 accessories, the other is a revolutionary way to play games.

I thought you were saying the PS4 was 4yr old tech with expensive accessories. haha

Cause yeah, playing the same game handheld and on console with 1sec downtime is pretty revolutionary itself... Each to their own.

knitoe

No contest: Switch

PSVR hardware too weak even with PS4 Pro, low res screen door affect, refresh needs to be much higher and major graphic downgrade when using it. Maybe, it will be good in 10-20 years

Top Bottom