• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles Media and Information Thread

sajj316

read reports that this game will run @ 1080p native. If true, doesn't mean that something these days? All this graphical backlash over a video. Over a video?

Can this game look better? Sure ... but I'll reserve my judgment for the final release copy.

Durante

If true, it would be the first RPG to do so, and one of the very few disc-based titles as well. I'm extremely sceptical.

Durante

PS3 doesn't have any SRAM :p

If true it would be great for image quality, which is sadly lacking in most console games these days still. But again, I'm extremely sceptical.

StuBurns

Banned
Durante said:
PS3 doesn't have any SRAM :p

If true it would be great for image quality, which is sadly lacking in most console games these days still. But again, I'm extremely sceptical.
Strange, because I was just listening to a podcast with Ted Price who was discussing the PS3's SRAM. Maybe the head of Insomniac is not aware of the PS3 hardware, if so, someone should correct him.

To be straight and not mock you, the 7 SPEs have 256kb of SRAM each.

-Kh-

Banned
stuburns said:
You work at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and you don't have a PS3?
They should be giving you them.

That's exactly one of the main reasons I don't have one.

I have been on Resistance (1 and 2), Motorstorm (1 and 2), Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, and many more third party games, so I don't really need to get one right now.

Only games I'm missing to play, well that I want to play are Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted and MGS4, but I'm a RPG fan above all, that's why MSG4 didn't sell me on the PS3.

I hope they give us a PSP for xmas this year, last year was a slim PS2.

sajj316 said:
read reports that this game will run @ 1080p native. If true, doesn't mean that something these days? All this graphical backlash over a video. Over a video?

Well if true, it is indeed a waste of resources, this game could have be optimized to run at 720p, and graphics would have been much better.

There is no need at all to go 1080p when the game will look or run better at 720p

Durante

stuburns said:
Strange, because I was just listening to a podcast with Ted Price who was discussing the PS3's SRAM. Maybe the head of Insomniac is not aware of the PS3 hardware, if so, someone should correct him.

To be straight and not mock you, the 7 SPEs have 256kb of SRAM each.
Yeah, and as we all know the PS3's framebuffer is saved in the SPU's local store.

StuBurns

Banned
Durante said:
Yeah, and as we all know the PS3's framebuffer is saved in the SPU's local store.
You're suggesting the Cell architecture, which is common knowledge, and no big secret, is a massive lie? If so, you're an idiot.

Durante

stuburns said:
You're suggesting the Cell architecture, which is common knowledge, and no big secret, is a massive lie? If so, you're an idiot.
No, I'm suggesting that the local store of the SPUs has nothing at all to do with the rendering resolution of a game, which makes your original statement nonsensical and prompted my reply. What would have made sense is if you had said that it's an awful waste of GDDR3, or maybe even VRAM. I would still have disagreed but it would have made sense

I'd personally also not call the local store "SRAM" since it's more like a manually controlled cache, but that's besides the point. Additionally, I think I'm slightly more familiar with the CBE than you are, but again, that's besides the point.

StuBurns

Banned
Durante said:
No, I'm suggesting that the local store of the SPUs has nothing at all to do with the rendering resolution of a game, which makes your original statement nonsensical and prompted my reply. What would have made sense is if you had said that it's an awful waste of GDDR3, or maybe even VRAM. I would still have disagreed but it would have made sense

I'd personally also not call the local store "SRAM" since it's more like a manually controlled cache, but that's besides the point. Additionally, I think I'm slightly more familiar with the CBE than you are, but again, that's besides the point.
I literally had just heard Ted Price say the reason R1 was 720p native was because they decided to 'spend' the SRAM on additional assets instead of native resolution.

You probably do know more than me about Cell, but I trust Ted Price over you.

Durante

stuburns said:
I literally had just heard Ted Price say the reason R1 was 720p native was because they decided to 'spend' the SRAM on additional assets instead of native resolution.

You probably do know more than me about Cell, but I trust Ted Price over you.
Then he had a slipup, or you misheard him. He talked about / meant VRAM/GDDR3. In fact, Insomniac have also talked about why their later PS3 games (R&C, R2 too I think) are actually not 1280*720 but 1280*704 (with 2xAA) to get a slightly more efficient layout in the video memory (they have an extremely small black border on top and bottom of the screen).

But again, all of that is beside the point. (That being that WKS rendering in 1920x1080 is extremely unlikely, but would be impressive and awesome for those of us that value image quality)

-Kh-

Banned
Code:
[b]CPU[/b]: Cell Processor 
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz 
1 VMX vector unit per core 
512KB L2 cache 
7 x SPE @3.2GHz 
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs 
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE 
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

[b]GPU[/b]: RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance 
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels 
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

[B]Sound[/B]: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

[B]Memory[/B]: 
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

[B]System Bandwidth[/B]:
Main RAM: 25.6GB/s 
VRAM: 22.4GB/s 
RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read) 
SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE ?

StuBurns

Banned
Durante said:
Then he had a slipup, or you misheard him. He talked about / meant VRAM/GDDR3. In fact, Insomniac have also talked about why their later PS3 games (R&C, R2 too I think) are actually not 1280*720 but 1280*704 (with 2xAA) to get a slightly more efficient layout in the video memory (they have an extremely small black border on top and bottom of the screen).
He defiantly said SRAM, but it could have been a slip of the tongue. I still don't understand why you don't consider Cells 1T SRAM to be not SRAM, but as you said, it's not really the point.

The point is 1080p uses resources that could be used elsewhere to make the game not look like a ass, if resources are the issue at all.

Paracelsus

stuburns said:
He defiantly said SRAM, but it could have been a slip of the tongue. I still don't understand why you don't consider Cells 1T SRAM to be not SRAM, but as you said, it's not really the point.

The point is 1080p uses resources that could be used elsewhere to make the game not look like a ass, if resources are the issue at all.

Maybe you forgot graphics are the LAST issue into a Jrpg. Maybe.

If plot, gameplay, sound and characters suck you can quietly wipe your ass with your bump-mapped textures.

Durante

Yes, physically there is SRAM in the Cell, what I said was wrong without context. It's because I was thinking specifically of RSX as we were talking about rendering. No one stores their framebuffer in the SPEs SRAM for general rendering. Besides being simply in the wrong place, it's 256k. Or 1792k if you want to count all of them and don't run any code on your SPEs :)p). A 720p framebuffer with no AA (and no stencil) takes around 6.5 MB. A 1080p framebuffer would take nearly 15MB. I think you can see the problem.

I hope we can go back to other topics now, WKS won't be 1080p native anyway :lol

jmonteiro

Durante said:
Yes, physically there is SRAM in the Cell, what I said was wrong without context. It's because I was thinking specifically of RSX as we were talking about rendering. No one stores their framebuffer in the SPEs SRAM for general rendering. Besides being simply in the wrong place, it's 256k. Or 1792k if you want to count all of them and don't run any code on your SPEs :)p). A 720p framebuffer with no AA (and no stencil) takes around 6.5 MB. A 1080p framebuffer would take nearly 15MB. I think you can see the problem.

I hope we can go back to other topics now, WKS won't be 1080p native anyway :lol

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think it will be 1920x1080, it will most likely be 960x1080. Still better than 720p though.

StuBurns

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Maybe you forgot graphics are the LAST issue into a Jrpg. Maybe.

If plot, gameplay, sound and characters suck you can quietly wipe your ass with your bump-mapped textures.
Are they really the LAST issue? I don't really care if the game looks better than it currently does. But it does look like shit. JRPGs have historically been the games that pushed visuals to new levels. And for WKC to look as utterly underwhelming and 'last-gen' as it does is disappointing to me. But it's not the most important thing at all, I am going to buy it, I might really enjoy it. But I'm not going to pretend it looking like crap is a good thing.

ayrkain

I've never cared about graphics in an RPG, primarily because my first RPGs were in monochrome. As long as the graphics serve their purpose, I'm cool. Now, SE has a lot of cutscene-type stuff that pushes the hardware, but historically speaking RPGs don't always push the limits graphics-wise.

-Kh-

Banned
Philanthropist said:
It's one of the standard upscaled modes of PS3 games as it can do horizontal scaling, and it's still progressive.

Ah it's because it gets upscalled. Ok I understand now, thanks.

Zoe

-Kh- said:
Then I don't understand the 960x1080 resolution on a game

960 x 2 = 1920

The i in 1080i refers to "interlaced" (as opposed to "progressive"). It has to do with how the image is displayed in each frame.

Durante

jmonteiro said:
Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think it will be 1920x1080, it will most likely be 960x1080. Still better than 720p though.
Yeah, that's what I also expect. It would explain how the 1080p talk surfaced. it could even be 1280*1080. I'd welcome either as I prefer them to 720p, if only slightly.

jiggle

looks good :)
anyone have links to the downloadable movies from the site (instead of streaming)?
I want them on my computer too.

WYWY

Pre-rendered CG is nice.... but that doesn't really count for anything.

They actually made main character even more kiddy than ever... yuck

I hope the goal of getting the 'native 1080p support' stamp isn't causing any degrade...

And game will be 100% better if the old guy is the protagonist instead.

WYWY said:

I hope the goal of getting the 'native 1080p support' stamp isn't causing any degrade...

i agree i'm getting sick of RPGs with a kiddy style, when are japanese devs gonna make a mature rated RPG? SMT is the only developer that is consistently making mature titles. although maybe last remnant will bring S-E over

The trailers and videos for this game have been extremely good. I think the graphics look fine. I'm not sure how some people think they are ugly/horrible. It will be a definite purchase for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
WYWY said:

At least he's not 15.

Syntek

WYWY said:

All this talk about globalization, and the need to tap into western market to recoup development costs....bullocks. I say, made in Japan, made for Japan. Western audience preference be damned :D Who cares about being realistic lol.

Johann

Kagari said:
At least he's not 15.

Seventeen, forgive me. But I hardly think a boy of SEVENTEEN makes a difference.

(Why Jeremey Irons? Why did you do this to your career?!)

I just realized this, the Leonard sort of looks like Eragon in the movie.

-Kh-

Banned
WYWY said:

The hell are you talking about? You don't play many JRPGs do you?

The main characters here are 17 and 18, how is that younger than ever?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Johann said:

Seventeen, forgive me. But I hardly think a boy of SEVENTEEN makes a difference.

(Why Jeremey Irons? Why did you do this to your career?!)

I just realized this, the Leonard sort of looks like Eragon in the movie.

FUCK THAT MOVIE AND IT'S HORRIBLENESS.

WYWY

-Kh- said:
You don't play many JRPGs do you?
Too many. That's the problem.

Used to like them, but my tolerance broke.

Syntek said:
All this talk about globalization, and the need to tap into western market to recoup development costs
Here's my hypothesis:

I think it's also the Japanese market. I mean JP game consoles have been around for a long time. The Japanese who started playing back then are all pretty matured now, and there should be a large number of them. And I believe a large number of them are still open to RPG gaming.

And here's the irony - hypothetically there is this large group of older Japanese gamers, with purchasing power to buy your 600USD console at launch, and you're still ignoring them. There are so few JPRGs that doesn't try to patronize the player as if the player is a teenager.

MrDenny

I wish this game looked like the first trailer they shown. I'm not digging the new character models. The Lenard in the first trailer and the Lenard now look different. Seems like they had to dumb down some of the graphics for the customization aspect of the game.

Raistlin

-Kh- said:
Well if true, it is indeed a waste of resources, this game could have be optimized to run at 720p, and graphics would have been much better.

Except, that is not always the case.

-Kh-

Banned
WYWY said:
And here's the irony - hypothetically there is this large group of older Japanese gamers, with purchasing power to buy your 600USD console at launch, and you're still ignoring them. There are so few JPRGs that doesn't try to patronize the player as if the player is a teenager.

So you are saying that for a RPG to be mature, it needs 30 year old characters?

Are we going to need 40 yo ones in 10 years time? And further on, 50% of the games, mostly current franchises are going to have old Snake type of characters?

I can see it, old Master Chief, old Chris Redfield, old Samus Aran, old Link, old Mario.
SE won't make remakes at the time but sequels to all the FF games, you know FFVI-2, FFVII-2, FFX-3, etc. Where Cecil, Cloud, Tidus and co are around their 50s right?

Yea I totally agree with you that such is the future of gaming, I mean, totally. Yea.

Syntek

WYWY said:
Here's my hypothesis:

I think it's also the Japanese market. I mean JP game consoles have been around for a long time. The Japanese who started playing back then are all pretty matured now, and there should be a large number of them. And I believe a large number of them are still open to RPG gaming.

I don't know about that...just because they've aged doesn't mean they will suddenly toss aside their obsession with youth and embrace the awesomeness of western gaming leads averaging over 30 years in age, otherwise referred to collectively as "middle-aged geezers" by Japanese standards.

I'm doubtful there is any of that "I wanna grow up just as badass as _insert your favorite lead from FPS_" syndrome that is probably prevalent among American kids.

Youth sells in Japan, arguably even more so among the your so called "mature" group.

WYWY

Syntek said:
I'm doubtful there is any of that "I wanna grow up just as badass as _insert your favorite lead from FPS_" syndrome that is probably prevalent among American kids.
Now there, we're not entirely in sync here.

And no, that quoted example isn't mature. In fact I find it more childish than the JRPG 'kiddies'. Certainly there are more character types than this! Uru from SH2? Chris and Geddoe from Suikoden 3? Even Basch and Balthier from FF12 - though they aren't presented as the protagonist...

The root problem I think, is that most of the time, young protagonists come with a mountain of patronizing and teenage angst. World hero, defeat 1,000 year old enemy, save princess - there's a way to do this without being overly patronizing. The DQ series for example, does it pretty well - maybe because it doesn't try very hard with the melodrama, just simple, dumb, fun.

But this is just one of those usual jrpg complaints that creep up here thrice a year.

StuBurns

Banned
-Kh- said:
So you are saying that for a RPG to be mature, it needs 30 year old characters?

Are we going to need 40 yo ones in 10 years time? And further on, 50% of the games, mostly current franchises are going to have old Snake type of characters?

I can see it, old Master Chief, old Chris Redfield, old Samus Aran, old Link, old Mario.
SE won't make remakes at the time but sequels to all the FF games, you know FFVI-2, FFVII-2, FFX-3, etc. Where Cecil, Cloud, Tidus and co are around their 50s right?

Yea I totally agree with you that such is the future of gaming, I mean, totally. Yea.
I don't think maturity requires older characters, but I think it probably helps. It's really just the art direction that denotes the audience to me.

And I do find WKC to look a tad immature. If you think of something like VersusXIII, which is this gloomy, mature, real-world RPG. I see that directly aimed at those people who were 14 playing FF7, and are now older and looking for something a little more mature. Where as FFXIII looks to appeal to the same young teenagers all Kitase's FFs do. WKC is defiantly in the that second pack I think.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
About old vs young main characters in JRPGs:

Whenever I see an older character that isn't an NPC in a JRPG these days I feel like it's a fresh breath of air. Why? Because there are so few of them!

The frequent use of teenage heroes is understandable, taking the target audience into concideration. Sure, one might argue that most fans of the "classic" JRPGs have grown up and are now young adults rather than teenagers, but that doesn't mean that the game developers will make games targeting this particular demographic. On the contrary, since most companies' main objective is to expand, the target demographic stays the same as it did 10 years ago, a teenage male.

IMO, there are at least three practical reasons as to why this is true;

• 1. Targeting teenagers will attract new consumers. Todays' teenagers may or may not have been playing games for ages, but since most kids lack the necessary "economic power" (pardon my English), they aren't really consumers themselves.

• 2. The "young adult" male demographic of fans that are still buying games frequently, the very demographic that made the companies what they are today, will probably buy the games whether they are targeted or not, thus needs little to no targeting at all.

• 3. Most "older" gamers have less time and are thus less likely to frequently play games, and ultimately buy fewer games. All the more reason for developers to phase this demographic out rather than target it. It would just be a waste of marketing money to go after them since "life" will stop them from consuming their product anyway.

All three of these reasons have exceptions, but I'm pretty sure this is how the market works in general.

Now, as I said earlier, this is understandable. In the end, the producers could care less about what fans want when faced with the company's' main interests. So I think it IS understandable, but it is also equally sad because it hurts the game's credibility storywise, at least IMHO.

Take the adventurer/warrior, for instance. A very frequent example of a main character in JRPGs.

Having older characters adds depth to the game since they usually have many years of combat experince, making it more credible for them to to be warriors, whilst a teenager who goes from being a complete novice to a fighting vet. in a couple of weeks/months time isn't very credible.

In retrospect most games don't even seem to put that great an emphasis on the passing of time, thus making the time main characters have actually spent from beginning to end very vague. The fact that most characters don't age only helps make matters worse.

Some games, like Breath of Fire 3, have this worked out, where the main character starts out as an inexperienced kid who is forced to fight due to the circumstances at hand (and he actually fights poorly, but gets steadier after a while), and grows up to be a proud, semi-experienced warrior. Other games show brief cinematics portraying the main character in training before major cut-scenes, which lifts the storyline up a bit, but most games don't even bother.

Of course, I do realize that, since most RPGs heavily rely on statistics, HP/MP, damage, STR, INT etc., one should view a character's related progress as symbolic, rather than realistic. You'll just have to imagine that the time spent going from lv.1 to lv.99 took a lot of time and hard work and that this is a measure of ones OWN progress rather than the progress related to another party member. Thus a 30 year old lv.25 warrior and a 17 year old equivalent are NOT equally experienced in actual knowledge, but they ARE on an equal level in their respective personal progress ladders. Lv.1 = one's personal low and lv.max = one's personal best in this point of his/her life (= the game's own "life cycle"). Still, it wouldn't hurt to put some effort into at least hinting the player that more time than what was spent at the inn has past since the last time he/she picked up the controller.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure that having more mature players will attract a more serious audience because it's easier to relate to them. The problem therefore lies in the audience, or rather, the vision that most companies seem to have of their audiences, which mostly comprises about people who either are not mature enough to relate to adult problems or are too mature to play their games in the first place!

Arguably, if the main characters of a JRPG were all mature, had purely adult problems and were all experienced warriors, the game wouldn't attract as many players, thus making the game less profitable. Harsh reality or simply bogus? I couldn't say, but since I see myself as one the "young adults" I mentioned earlier, I can only judge from my perspective, and I AM in fact finding it harder to relate to the main characters of today's RPGs, thus wouldn't mind an RPG party where the minimum age would be 25 years old.

Nevertheless, I will keep buying the games, whether they have young, old, dead or undead characters in them simply because I love RPGs in egneral, and JRPGs in partiular, and am hoping that I will be positively surprised.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
sajj316 said:

Can this game look better? Sure ... but I'll reserve my judgment for the final release copy.

No idea, but all of the PR screenshots have been 720p I think.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Character section updated.
King Vardoz, Cisna's father
and Archduke Dram.

World section also updated with new creature - Cyclops.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Game is in polishing stages now, at least according to what Hino said during the Toro Station interview.

Wollan

whiteknights.jpg

Top Bottom