• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles Media and Information Thread

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
-Kh- said:
Oh well, everyone has its own preferences.

But certainly this is not one of mine. Using a FAQ in my first playthrough of a RPG is something I don't like. If I have to check one then it will be on a second playthrough to get everything I missed first because of the game being a bitch (FFXII, Persona 3 FES, etc).

Sometimes you can find strictly translation guides on there.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BruceLeeRoy said:
vwwjz7.jpg

Now that I have made it I don't know if I like it being totally white more than the current cover.

Original is better I think. It has elements on both sides to balance the composition.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AranhaHunter said:
This game better be fucking great, Sony needs this to be a huge game almost as bad as they need Killzone 2 to be a huge game.

I don't think we have to worry about Killzone...

Kagari said:
I don't think we have to worry about Killzone...

I know, I'm in the beta :D (we still have to worry about Sony marketing that damn game though)

I'm worried about WKC though, Sony does need this game to be huge, and I'm not sure it will be, I don't think they put the budget there for it and I'm not sure if the online is gonna catch on, I'm hoping for a good story and good character development, average in both reviews and sales, but nothing more. I'll be happy to eat crow though

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AranhaHunter said:
I know, I'm in the beta :D (we still have to worry about Sony marketing that damn game though)

I'm worried about WKC though, Sony does need this game to be huge, and I'm not sure it will be, I don't think they put the budget there for it and I'm not sure if the online is gonna catch on, I'm hoping for a good story and good character development, average in both reviews and sales, but nothing more. I'll be happy to eat crow though

They're already airing commercials for it on TV in Japan. And they have a general PS3 commercial with WKC in it...
Releasing on Christmas is smart for them too because more people tend to buy things during the holiday.
As far as reviews, well see. And sales... well, I imagine it will do better than most of the already released HD RPGs. I am pretty confident it will at least sell more than Valkyria Chronicles. We shall see in a month though.

-Kh-

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
I'm worried about WKC though, Sony does need this game to be huge, and I'm not sure it will be, I don't think they put the budget there for it and I'm not sure if the online is gonna catch on

The MH crowd is sure going to get on this game, however the question is, how many of them have a PS3, or would want to buy a PS3 for it?

Same for your typical RPG fans, are they going to get the system just for this game and keep it (not to sell it back a few days after finishing it), because that won't help Sony much.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
-Kh- said:
The MH crowd is sure going to get on this game, however the question is, how many of them have a PS3, or would want to buy a PS3 for it?

Same for your typical RPG fans, are they going to get the system just for this game and keep it (not to sell it back a few days after finishing it), because that won't help Sony much.

Haha well, it's still a sale for them.
Seems to be the trend with the HD systems anyhow.

-Kh- said:

They wouldn't sell it back if there was a stream of good games coming every other week or so

-Kh-

Banned
Kagari said:
Haha well, it's still a sale for them.
Seems to be the trend with the HD systems anyhow.

I know that it would count as a system sold, but I think Sony is more interested on people keeping their systems and buying more games for them.

AranhaHunter said:
They wouldn't sell it back if there was a stream of good games coming every other week or so

You are right. This holiday season that just started with GTA4 and LBP seemed quite good for the PS3 in Japan, but after WKC, is there going to be anything else to keep the momentum during Q1?

That doesn't seem to be the case. But at least WKC will ride on the peak of the holidays' momentum and should be able to surprise us.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
-Kh- said:
I know that it would count as a system sold, but I think Sony is more interested on people keeping their systems and buying more games for them.

You are right. This holiday season that just started with GTA4 and LBP seemed quite good for the PS3 in Japan, but after WKC, is there going to be anything else to keep the momentum during Q1?

That doesn't seem to be the case. But at least WKC will ride on the peak of the holidays' momentum and should be able to surprise us.

FFXIII demo. I'm dead serious too.
Resident Evil 5, which will be a bigger seller for PS3 in Japan guaranteed.
Street Fighter 4.

In Q1.

Kagari said:
Street Fighter 4.

In Q1.

And Fallout 3 should sell ok as well in January, as long as there are smaller games that help hold people over until the big releases, then we won't see sub 10k for the PS3 in Japan, but anyways we're derailing the topic, here's hoping that WKC turns out to be AAA, I'll be waiting to hear your impressions on the import version Kagari.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AranhaHunter said:
And Fallout 3 should sell ok as well in January, as long as there are smaller games that help hold people over until the big releases, then we won't see sub 10k for the PS3 in Japan, but anyways we're derailing the topic, here's hoping that WKC turns out to be AAA, I'll be waiting to hear your impressions on the import version Kagari.

Yep. I look forward to giving them!

-Kh-

Banned
Kagari said:
Street Fighter 4.

In Q1.

Oh wow yeah, how did I forget about such awesome games? :lol

Well then, the momentum will keep going for a while longer, not bad at all. It should be interesting to see how the distribution of those 2 games plays out taking into consideration that SO4 will be released during the same days.

rykomatsu

Kagari said:
Street Fighter 4.

In Q1.

Unfortunately, none of those really fall into anything I'd buy....maaaaybe the ff13 demo if it's reasonably priced, but aside from that, i might have to grab quite a few used titles this winter...

rykomatsu said:
Unfortunately, none of those really fall into anything I'd buy....maaaaybe the ff13 demo if it's reasonably priced, but aside from that, i might have to grab quite a few used titles this winter...

heheh, Im probably willing to pay more from the ff13 demo than for TLR...maybe if TLR is packaged with the demo hehe

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AranhaHunter said:
The funny thing is we're the only ones that get that crap, Europe and Japan don't get that "only on" bullshit.

There still hasn't been a clear explanation for it either.

roxya

AranhaHunter said:
The funny thing is we're the only ones that get that crap, Europe and Japan don't get that "only on" bullshit.

But Euro first party games are now getting PSN badges on 'em (LBP says "Download cool new stuff created by blah blah" and MS2 says "Online Racing for 12 players"). They're crap.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay so looking at that new Chinese article... (I can't read Chinese btw, but they left the sceenshots in Japanese...)
Looks like new locales are shown.
Some new boss called Majin Gigas.
Characters detailed:
グラーゼル - Guraazeru, or something like that. Guy with long silver hair who was seen in the TGS 2007 video at the end.
シャープル - Shyaapuru - Eye patch wearing elf character.
ベルシタン - Belushitan - Circus ringleader.

I don't even want to try and guess the correct romanization for those lol.
Also. The combat system is explained more... D: Wish these were in Japanese... but I'll take what I can get.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thanks to tename on PSU Forums for translating the article, here is my paraphrase of it:

Main antagonists of the story, Wizard. They have several classes including Squad Captain, Solder, and Mage Solider.
Wizard practices ancient magic and technology, using spells to control monsters. Their goal is to obtain the Knights. Wizard is only an alias given to them by the people of Balandor. Their real name, numbers, and true intentions are not known.

Velshidan - He disguises himself as a circus ringleader during the attack on Balandor; because of him, the country has gone into a crisis.

Gurzel - The young leader of Wizard. He rarely makes public appearances, his true ability is unknown. He also has the ability to transform into one of the Knights.

Dregias - The General of Wizard. Highly trusted by Gurzel, he is perfect in combat and strategic capabilities. He uses the Black Knight, and always wears black armor.
Balandor's king was killed by him.

Shapur - A General who works directly under Velshidan who admires Gurzel. He is very smart and calm, and it is hard for others to read his emotions. He is a member of the Foresu(?) species.

WYWY

OK, the combat system got me interested again... author your own combos.

Some more world literature - the Gigas are giant summons that are summoned via cards. Human-sized enemies will use them. The price to pay is that these monstrosities feed on the summoner's mind and spiritual essence - until they are totally consumed. There is an eye in the chest of a Gigas.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Weapon properties:
Slashing
Blunt
Piercing

Using the correct weapon against an enemy's weakness will be favorable for you in battle.

You can chain together skills that you have learned to make Original Combos.
Weapons can also have magic properties such as fire, water, wind, and earth. Enemies will also have elemental weaknesses.

You can combine up to 7 skills in a combo.

Only the bow can do ranged attacks unless you have a magic element chained to other weapons.

Weapons have set properties and characters can learn their skills from them - meaning, you can level up your weapons.

Monsters:
There are many bosses in the game. The Majin Gigas, are summoned via cards... the one who summons them will have their soul devoured. Every Gigas will have a core called the "Magic Eye."

lupinko

Hmm too tempting to import, does anyone know if online will be all region (in that if I had the JP version can I play people with the US version?).

I'm going to say no, especially given Mingol5.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
lupinko said:
Hmm too tempting to import, does anyone know if online will be all region (in that if I had the JP version can I play people with the US version?).

I'm going to say no, especially given Mingol5.

Not known yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There's an article on WKC in this months GameInformer.

There is an interview on their website with Akihiro Hino:

White Knight Chronicles, Level-5’s latest RPG, adds some innovative twists to a genre that can definitely use some. The game boasts a single-player mode, where Leonard the hero takes on evil forces with the help of a few friends. In multiplayer, players will be able to take one of those customizable support characters into other games, level up and then return to the story mode. We spoke with Level-5’s President and CEO Akihiro Hino about how this will affect gameplay, balance and much more.

Game Informer: When most RPGs allow players to create a character, it is usually the main character of the story. What made you decide to have the player-created character not be the central protagonist of White Knight Chronicles?

Akihiro Hino: We don’t think that the avatar the player creates is not the main character. In order to create an adventure story for an RPG, you need to determine a character to create a story around, so we decided that Leonard should be the protagonist of the single-player mode. But the player character is in both modes, and in the online mode, the avatar is the main character.

GI: The avatar players create when the game starts eventually joins up with Leonard. Does that happen right at the outset of the game, or after playing for a while?

Hino: The avatar participates with Leonard from the very beginning. But avatars can then take part in the online mode after the first episode or chapter.

GI: So, Leonard and the player character are somehow connected from the beginning?

Hino: The main character, Leonard, is working for a wine merchant. The avatar created by the player will join him as a new assistant – a new employee of the wine merchant.

GI: With levels, gold, and items carrying over between the online and offline modes, is there a danger that characters could get too powerful by spending a lot of time online?

Hino: In fact, we’ve incorporated a level cap system so we can keep the balanced. Until you can proceed with the story to a certain extent, you aren’t able to increase your level beyond the cap. On top of that, unless you proceed with the story, you may not be able to go on certain important quests in the online mode and get the rewards for those quests.

GI: Is there a story structure to the online mode, or is it only a hub for accepting quests and setting up a group?

Hino: There is kind of a story in the online mode, but it is told in a series of small quests.

GI: How did you arrive at the four-player limit for online play? Was it due to technical limitations, or does that number just work best for party balance?

Hino: There were a lot of elements determining that number. For one thing, you can make a very balanced group with four players. And, since we provide a feature where players can set up their avatars, freely choosing the face or the body or other elements, there are certain technical limitations – like processing speed – because of this freedom.

GI: In the presentation for the game, it was mentioned that larger enemies can be defeated without transforming into the White Knight. Will there be additional rewards for succeeding in battles that way?

Hino: If Leonard transforms in the White Knight, his power and abilities increase a lot. Therefore, if you are fighting against a very strong monster, you may need to deal a critical blow. In that case, you will want to transform. If the monster has the ability to regenerate health, if you continue doing little damage as small characters, you will not be able to defeat it. If you transform into the White Knight, you can do damage large enough to defeat the monster. But it’s not that Leonard can transform into the White Knight at all times, so you need to choose critical moments.

GI: Will you have the ability to transform at all times, and just choose wisely when you activate it? Or is it only available during large-scale battles?

Hino: You can choose when you want to transform. You need to build up a certain gauge during combat, but once it is full, you can transform.

GI: How will character progression work? Will there be some sort of unique system like in Rogue Galaxy, or will attributes just increase as you level?

Hino: You can allocate points in certain skills according your preference. And if you increase the skills, you can learn new actions. There is more to that that has not been disclosed, however.

DunpealD

badcrumble said:
yes, it is, how does that not make sense?

It doesn't make sense because Sephiroths sword is equivalent to his fighting power, hence twice as long as your normal katana.

WKC looks pretty good. Still thinking about importing it...

DieH@rd

Banned
badcrumble said:
yes, it is, how does that not make sense?

Well no really, Sephiroth uses daikatana. Two handed extra long bladed katana that is used in times of war to cut the enemies horses. Only, he wields it in one hand. :)

sorry, from now on any time i see a one-edged blade, from a butter knife to a scimitar, i know in my heart that it is something sephiroth would use. nothing you can say will dissuade me from this.

Top Bottom