• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is your favorite "Not Pikachu"

Pikachu was a smash success at a mascot. One of the biggest in the world.

So naturally, the next step would be imitators.

Not from outside, but from Game Freak themselves trying to capture the same "lightning in a bottle" (pun intended).

So which Pikachu-expy from the franchise is your favorite?

Raichu
eW0MmyB.png
Probably shouldn't count as a "Not-Pikachu", given that at the time of his creation, Game Freak was unaware that his pre-evolution would so completely dwarf him in popularity.

The anime episode was great though.

Pichu
Kids like Pikachu because he's cute. What's even cuter than Pikachu? BABBY PIKACHU

Marill
Pikablu himself. Fond memories of hunting the net for the hottest secret info on the secrets and future of the Pokemon franchise.

Plusle & Minun

It's Pichu, but they're brothers!

Pachirasu
Squirrels are cool. Name is awkward.

Emolga
Flying Squirrels are even cooler. A tricky opponent when facing the electric gym, pulling out this surprise counter to your ground type moves.

Dedenne
Another quirky name. I only saw this one recently.

(poll pls mods)

Zubz

Banned
Raichu, hands-down. Pikachu's popularity has all-but guaranteed we'll never see Mega Raichu, and that's a travesty.

Easily Pichu. The only other one that I have any fondness for is Plusle and Minun, and that's probably just because I have a lot of Gen 3 nostalgia. Never cared for Marill, Pachirisu was always lame, Emolga was a cool idea but by that point the whole thing was getting tiresome, and Dedenne makes me a little mad I think.

The worst part is that none of these ripoffs are actually usable like Pikachu is. I think I would like Emolga a lot more if they changed up the colors. I would use it if it had good stats.

If I had to rank:
Pichu
Plusle
Minun
Emolga
Pachirisu
Marill
Dedenne

I maintain that Raichu is the best pokemon in that evolution line, Pikachu may be popular but Raichu is just straight up badass

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Raichu isn't really a Pikachu expy, but it's my favorite out of those. Emolga and Marill probably my favorite of the actual expies because they try to be a little different, unlike all of the other ones.

(poll pls mods)

changing my answer to Thor 2: The Dark World.

Ultimadrago

Pls. Pokemon everywhere.

Raichu.

That win was bullshit, Pikachu. You hear me?! Bullshiiiiiit!

Azumarill is also pretty cool. I hated it at first, but it (and its Belly Drum) have grown on me over the years.

bjork

I want to say Marill, but the few episodes of the show I saw with one features made me realize if they were real and I had one, it would get punched in the face about every four seconds. Something about its voice is like my anger brown note.

So, Pachirisu. I like how it looks and I've never heard it.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I love Pachirisu. I mean look at it! It's an adorable li'l squirrel Pokemon with a cool design.

I also love it for singlehandedly destroying the validity of the entire competitive Pokemon tier system.

Once more, aside from being a rodent and having dumb rumors pop up back before people in the US new gen 2 was a thing, name one thing that makes Marill a pikaclone. Because by the logic that marill is a pikachu clone, so are patrat, minccino and every other rodent

Zomba13

I love Raichu. Always thought it was cooler than Pikachu. Whenever I get a Pikachu I evolve it when it's learnt all I need from it because Raichu is a boss.

Guess Who

Banned
Once more, aside from being a rodent and having dumb rumors pop up back before people in the US new gen 2 was a thing, name one thing that makes Marill a pikaclone. Because by the logic that marill is a pikachu clone, so are patrat, minccino and every other rodent

1. its face is more similar to pikachu's than either of those
2. pointy tail
3. colored like its element
4. fat
5. you take this way too seriously

Dedenne and Marril. Ever since Pikachu stopped being fat, they've taken up the chubby rodent mantle.

(Plus, Azurill is awesome.)

Top Bottom