• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

Thraktor

I'm running with the idea that Nintendo in a panic decided to blow their load of game announcements early. It seems like a relatively ambitious project and I don't think that footage looked near completion. I think several of the titles will end up being 2014 titles. Yoshi Yarn also had video iirc.

X has been in full development since the middle of 2010, and we can assume planning began at least 6 months before that. If it doesn't release this year, then it'll have been in development for over 4 years, with a full team for over three and a half years of that. Even by Nintendo's standard, that's a long time in development, and what's more we've actually seen in-game video of what very much looks like a game less than a year away from release.

I'd expect the game to release in September in Japan, and I can't see any scenario where it'd slip to next year.

If we're lucky, Nintendo will have adopted a sensible localisation strategy owing to the critical success of Xenoblade, and westerners will get the game in October/November. Otherwise, next summer would be a good bet for an international release.

hachi

Banned
There had best be a Wii Sports Resort-like experience coming later this year. The system needs a new social concept that can hook the masses; I'll have great fun with the Mario and Zelda, without question, but they need to show how the system (or more accurately, Nintendo's devs) can easily outdo any Kinect 2.0 when it comes to family and social gaming.

I <3 NintendoLand, but it isn't the right fit for the general market sadly. A Wii Sports moment is still sorely needed.

Pachinko

There's actually not that many games coming out for this.

Did the PS3/360 have a similar drought of software in the first year of release?

Yeah the 360 had a bunch of ported cross gen games at launch and very little after that until Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter or whatever it was called came out the following march. Then there was nothing until dead rising came out in august. Gears of War finally came out that november though , a game that really cemented the console as "nextgen". The second full year of 360 games brought a much more varied and consistent lineup of good games as I recall.

PS3 had a fairly anemic day 1 and it took almost a year before there was really anything worth owning on it- Uncharted is the first major release I can think of actually, but again, its second full year (despite the online "no gaemz" shtick) started to get a few more releases.

The wii U will be no different, the ball will get rolling on big releases this fall and it will continue for the remainder of the consoles life- hopefully resulting in some healthy sales so we can all continue to enjoy some HD nintendo games.

For the record, I don't see PS4/nextbox being any different than wii U- they'll have decent launches with many of the same games available on both as well as a couple exclusive titles for each and then there'll be little to nothing to buy on either of them until almost the following christmas. I like to think publishers have a threshold before they start really supporting new consoles- 5 million sold seems to be the magic number. Until something sells that much publishers withhold and delay releases because the userbase just isn't large enough to justify the cost of making the games, otherwise they'll at least wait until the holiday season to hopefully sell their game to new console owners.

There's a decent amount of fun to be had with what's been shown/announced so far, unfortunately it's mostly fun that can be had elsewhere.

OP is missing The Amazing Spider-Man.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah the 360 had a bunch of ported cross gen games at launch and very little after that until Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter or whatever it was called came out the following march. Then there was nothing until dead rising came out in august.

Of course XBLA, at the same period of time, had:
Geometry Wars RE
Hexic HD (for free, natch)
Bejeweled 2
Outpost Kaloki X
Marble Blast Ultra
Uno
Cloning Clyde
Doom
+ all of the old Midway / other arcade ports

And competition then was a lot lighter, as mobile didn't exist, PC indies had a lot fewer opportunities (Steam didn't sell third-party games, GOG didn't exist at all!), Xbox and Gamecube were dead, DS and PSP were still pretty bare, etc.

Hiltz

There's actually not that many games coming out for this. It's beginning to look like another N64 situation with long periods between releases.

Did the PS3/360 have a similar drought of software in the first year of release?

360 had good third-party support, but Microsoft itself had nothing to offer until the second half of the year. The titles in bold are 1st party games that were developed and/or published by Microsoft.

According to the North American software lineup in 2006: Xbox 360 had Fight Night Round 3 in February. Burn Out Revenge, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, The Outfit were released in March. Fifa World Cup, Battlefield 2, Final Fantasy XI, Tomb Raider: Legend came out in April. Prey, Chromehounds, NCAA Football, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II released in July. Saint's Row, Dead Rising, Madden NFL, and Ninety-Nine Nights for August. September had NHL 2K7, The Godfather: The Game, Just Cause, and Test Drive. For October, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Need for Speed: Carbon, and Phantasy Star Universe were released. November saw the release of Rainbow Six: Vegas, Call of Duty 3, Viva Pinata , and Gears of War.

note: A lot of these games are multiplatform, but whether or not the 360 got an exclusive version (like Call of Duty 2) I'm not sure of. As for 360's launch games in October 2005, apparently, 11 of the 18 available games were multiplatform with 3 titles being 1st party exclusives.

DaBoss

360 had good third-party support, but Microsoft itself had nothing to offer until the second half of the year. The titles in bold are 1st party games that were developed and/or published by Microsoft.

According to the North American software lineup in 2006: Xbox 360 had Fight Night Round 3 in February. Burn Out Revenge, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, The Outfit were released in March. Fifa World Cup, Battlefield 2, Final Fantasy XI, Tomb Raider: Legend came out in April. Prey, Chromehounds, NCAA Football, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II reelased in July. Saint's Row and Dead Rising, Madden NFL, and Ninenty-Nine Nights for August. September had NHL 2K7 and The Godfather: The Game, Just Cause, and Test Drive. For October, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Need for Speed: Carbon, and Phantasy Star Universe were released. November saw the release of Rainbow Six: Vegas, Call of Duty 3, Viva Pinata, Gears of War.

note: A lot of these games are multiplatform, but whether or not the 360 got an exclusive version (like Call of Duty 2) I'm not sure of. As for 360's launch games in october 2005, apparently, 11 of the 18 available games were multiplatform with 3 titles being 1st party exclusives.

Kameo?

For the record, I don't see PS4/nextbox being any different than wii U- they'll have decent launches with many of the same games available on both as well as a couple exclusive titles for each and then there'll be little to nothing to buy on either of them until almost the following christmas. I like to think publishers have a threshold before they start really supporting new consoles- 5 million sold seems to be the magic number. Until something sells that much publishers withhold and delay releases because the userbase just isn't large enough to justify the cost of making the games, otherwise they'll at least wait until the holiday season to hopefully sell their game to new console owners.

The big pubs are already supporting the new consoles. It won't be anything like Wii U, even if sales are slow in the beginning. Adoption should be similar to ps3/360.

The big pubs are already supporting the new consoles. It won't be anything like Wii U, even if sales are slow in the beginning. Adoption should be similar to ps3/360.

So medium to non-existent for the first 2-3 years and then ~70 million each after 7 years, while non-core (COD, FIFA, etc) multi-platform games struggle to do enough numbers to break even across both platforms? :p

Also, anyone else not able to see the images in the OP?

prag16

Banned
There had best be a Wii Sports Resort-like experience coming later this year. The system needs a new social concept that can hook the masses; I'll have great fun with the Mario and Zelda, without question, but they need to show how the system (or more accurately, Nintendo's devs) can easily outdo any Kinect 2.0 when it comes to family and social gaming.

I <3 NintendoLand, but it isn't the right fit for the general market sadly. A Wii Sports moment is still sorely needed.

I disagree about Nintendoland. Everyone I've seen give it a shot loved it. That said, I look forward to the inevitable Wii Sports U.

DaBoss

I disagree about Nintendoland. Everyone I've seen give it a shot loved it. That said, I look forward to the inevitable Wii Sports U.

Well that is after they've given it a shot, I bet they didn't look at it and go like "I want to try it" like they would with Wii Sports.

Yeah the 360 had a bunch of ported cross gen games at launch and very little after that until Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter or whatever it was called came out the following march. Then there was nothing until dead rising came out in august. Gears of War finally came out that november though , a game that really cemented the console as "nextgen". The second full year of 360 games brought a much more varied and consistent lineup of good games as I recall.

PS3 had a fairly anemic day 1 and it took almost a year before there was really anything worth owning on it- Uncharted is the first major release I can think of actually, but again, its second full year (despite the online "no gaemz" shtick) started to get a few more releases.

The wii U will be no different, the ball will get rolling on big releases this fall and it will continue for the remainder of the consoles life- hopefully resulting in some healthy sales so we can all continue to enjoy some HD nintendo games.

It seems almost insane reading a post like this when we're in the midst of next gen. It's way too reasonable.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm praying that Lego Undercover is as good as it looks otherwise I might not have anything to buy until the summer (depending on when Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 come out in Europe). I'm not worried about the second half of the year though as I'm sure Nintendo will have one or two big titles in the pipeline to combat the Duranduran/Orbit hype.

BlackJace

I agree wholeheartedly. This whole, "b-b-bu core gamers with pent up demand; waiting to blow their load" stuff is extremely far-fetched. It ignores the past too.

I'm praying that Lego Undercover is as good as it looks otherwise I might not have anything to buy until the summer (depending on when Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 come out in Europe). I'm not worried about the second half of the year though as I'm sure Nintendo will have one or two big titles in the pipeline to combat the Duranduran/Orbit hype.

Jet-powered snow plow says yes.

Hiltz

Nintendo's 1st party software schedule for Wii looked basically like this:

note: Don't hurt me if I may have missed a title or two. By the way, this is according to the North American schedule.

2006 - 5 titles

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Excite Truck, Wii Sports & Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

2007 - 9 titles

First half of the year: Wii Play, Big Brain Academy,Super Paper Mario & Mario Party 8

Second half of the year: Mario Strikers Charged, Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Link's Crossbow Training & Super Mario Galaxy

2008 - 6 titles

First half of the year: Endless Ocean, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart, & Wii Fit

Second half of the year: Wii Music and Animal Crossing: City Folk

2009 - 9 titles

First half of the year: ExciteBots, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat NPC, Mario Power Tennis NPC, Pikmin NPC & Punch-Out!!

Second half of the year: New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports Resort, Metroid Prime Trilogy & Wii Fit Plus

2010 - 8 titles

First half of the year: Endless Ocean 2 & Super Mario Galaxy 2

Second half of the year: Sin & Punishment 2, Metroid: Other M, Wii Party, FlingSmash, Kirby's Epic Yarn & Donkey Kong Country

2011 - 3 titles

First half of the year: Mario Sportx Mix

Second half of the year: Kirby's Return to Dreamland & Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

2012 - 6 titles

First half of the year: Mario Party 9, Pikmin 2 NPC, Rhythm Heaven Fever & Xenoblade Chronicles

Second half of the year: Kirby's Dream Collection & Last Story

As for Wii U, we currently know Nintendo's got the following planned for 2013:

First half of the year: Lego City, Wii Fit U, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101

Second half of the year: Wii U Party, Wind Waker HD

TBA: Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Epic Yarn, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami, Xenoblade 2, 3D Super Mario , Mario Kart, and confirmation of additional unannounced titles by Satoru Iwata.

thanks OP ... Subscribed

very nice and clean. hopefully this will be updated regular

Agreed. Great job, Captain Smoker.

Monster Hunter will be mine in March. Don't think I'll pay full price for Lego City Undercover, but if it gets good reviews, I'll probably pick it up sometime down the line.

Bullza2o

Nintendo's 1st party software schedule for Wii looked basically like this:

note: Don't hurt me if I may have missed a title or two. By the way, this is according to the North American schedule.

2006 - 5 titles

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Excite Truck, Wii Sports & Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

2007 - 9 titles

First half of the year: Wii Play, Big Brain Academy,Super Paper Mario & Mario Party 8

Second half of the year: Mario Strikers Charged, Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Link's Crossbow Training & Super Mario Galaxy

As for Wii U, we currently know Nintendo's got the following planned for 2013:

First half of the year: Lego City, Wii Fit U, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101

Second half of the year: Wii U Party, Wind Waker HD

TBA: Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Epic Yarn, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami, Xenoblade 2, 3D Super Mario , Mario Kart, and confirmation of additional unannounced titles by Satoru Iwata.

So far it seems the Wii U has a stronger lineup so far for its first year.

I'm getting a Wii U, but I really need the game that makes me want to buy one right now. Right now I'm planning to repeat my plan of getting a GameCube + Pikmin by doing a Wii U + Pikmin this time, but I really need Pikmin to come out sooner.

Man, I just looked at the 360's first year to compare it to the Wii U. No wonder I didn't pick up the system until Gears came out...they were so lucky that Call of Duty 2 and Oblivion came out as early as they did.

Just goes to show how much impact one good game can make.

guek

Banned
Man, I just looked at the 360's first year to compare it to the Wii U. No wonder I didn't pick up the system until Gears came out...they were so lucky that Call of Duty 2 and Oblivion came out as early as they did.

If only pikmin3 had made launch window :-/

squid

I just realized that Nintendo's E3 this year is already guaranteed to be better than their last 2 E3's
combined
. It's still going to be completely overshadowed by Sony/Microsoft, but Nintendo should have a great lineup of games, with the WiiU's first real big hitters revealed.

Too bad the next few months will be a long, dry, barren wait...

Cancelled Rayman and pre ordered Undercover, will definitely be getting Monster Hunter too. Hopefully that third party direct will come soon...

Somnid

It's actually worse, if you owned a PC you had better versions of Oblivion and CoD2. Even Gears had an enhanced PC port about a year later.

Berg

I'm actually pretty excited about Sniper Elite V2. Doubt it supports wiimote, but should still be fun. Has anyone played the multiplayer?

Effect

My wallet is actually happy for the limited selection to be honest. I'm getting all the Nintendo titles going forward but I do wish that wasn't the case. As for third party I've always been looking forward to Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I wish I could be playing Rayman in a few weeks but now I have no idea when I'll ever get to play that game because it's clear the Fall is going to be packed and I might even cave on GTAV in addition to Nintendo's games.

I personally don't mind quality over quantity but for others that don't like the same things as we me I wish things were different. However this is just the first year and things could change as Nintendo provided additional documentation for the system, engines are altered to adjust for the Wii U's architecture, and companies move from the PS3/360 to the PS4/720. Or simply once Nintendo's own teams are in full swing and their partnerships start to show results.

I'm really curious if EA is going to be smart about Need for Speed though. I doubt it and I expect they'll price it at $60 without support instead at a more reasonable price of $40.

Torn on Resident Evil and Sniper Elite. Sniper depends on the price and with RE I already have that on the 3DS. I don't really feel like double dipping on that unless it has pointer controls and additional content. Disney Infinity is something I'm interested in. Didn't fall for the Skylanders craze, and still won't, but I do like Disney and depending on the quality I might bite at some point.

It also goes to show how much hyperbole there is on GAF. WII U HAD THE WORST LAUNCH IN HISTORY, THEY HAVE NO GAMEZZZZZZZ!

IMO, all launches suck. And the PS4/720 will be no different. That's why I won't jump in until at least 12-18 months in.

I just realized that Nintendo's E3 this year is already guaranteed to be better than their last 2 E3's
combined
. It's still going to be completely overshadowed by Sony/Microsoft, but Nintendo should have a great lineup of games, with the WiiU's first real big hitters revealed.

Too bad the next few months will be a long, dry, barren wait...
With all this "next gen" news I doubt Wii U will be over shadowed. All console makers are going to show the games. That what will get people moving. Hardware means nothing if no games look at the last 2 Nintendo E3s lol

AzaK

Of course XBLA, at the same period of time, had:
Geometry Wars RE
Hexic HD (for free, natch)
Bejeweled 2
Outpost Kaloki X
Marble Blast Ultra
Uno
Cloning Clyde
Doom
+ all of the old Midway / other arcade ports

And competition then was a lot lighter, as mobile didn't exist, PC indies had a lot fewer opportunities (Steam didn't sell third-party games, GOG didn't exist at all!), Xbox and Gamecube were dead, DS and PSP were still pretty bare, etc.

The Wii U does have a nice selection of games on the eShop so far, although it definitely needs more.

The Cave
Nano Assault Neo
Little Inferno
Puddle
Zen Pinball
Mutant Mudds
Mighty Switch Force

A LOT of first party games I want to play.

I guess indie games are going to have to make up for the lack of third partys though I will wait with strange anticipation for the third party Direct.

squid

With all this "next gen" news I doubt Wii U will be over shadowed. All console makers are going to show the games. That what will get people moving. Hardware means nothing if no games look at the last 2 Nintendo E3s lol

That's true, but Sony and Microsoft would both have to massively mess up their E3's (ala Nintendo's last 2 E3's) to give Nintendo a share of the spotlight IMO. Sure, all this rumoured bad news we're hearing about their consoles will be a downer, but as long as they have some big, pretty games showing off their upgraded hardware (which they most certainly will), websites/audiences will drool over it, while Nintendo will mostly be left to Nintendo fans, even with some great games being revealed.

I think the only games that have a chance at getting some big exposure are Smash Bros and 3D Mario (if it blows everyone's minds like Galaxy did).

Are people really pretending the pubs aren't all aboard the "Gen 4" train?

X has been in full development since the middle of 2010, and we can assume planning began at least 6 months before that. If it doesn't release this year, then it'll have been in development for over 4 years, with a full team for over three and a half years of that. Even by Nintendo's standard, that's a long time in development, and what's more we've actually seen in-game video of what very much looks like a game less than a year away from release.

I'd expect the game to release in September in Japan, and I can't see any scenario where it'd slip to next year.

If we're lucky, Nintendo will have adopted a sensible localisation strategy owing to the critical success of Xenoblade, and westerners will get the game in October/November. Otherwise, next summer would be a good bet for an international release.
Is there evidenced basis for this? Or are you assuming that Monolith went into full production of X as soon as Xenoblade was released? What Engine is X using exactly - and when was this developed - concurrent to Xenoblade?

Monolith is also afaik co-developing Project X Zone.

IMO, all launches suck. And the PS4/720 will be no different. That's why I won't jump in until at least 12-18 months in.

They're going to be even worse than usual without BC; at least you can pick up a few Wii titles you missed cheap if you really have nothing else to play on your WiiU.

ozfunghi

Are people really pretending the pubs aren't all aboard the "Gen 4" train?

Is there evidenced basis for this? Or are you assuming that Monolith went into full production of X as soon as Xenoblade was released? What Engine is X using exactly - and when was this developed - concurrent to Xenoblade?

Monolith is also afaik co-developing Project X Zone.

They have 3 studio's.

They have 3 studio's.
Do you mean 3 studios developing PXZ? I know multiple studios are on it, that's why I wrote co-developing.

Monolith when last known had a full staff of 92, from what I can find, which isn't large by today's standard divided onto multiple projects.

If they've also had to develop a bespoke engine that adds to time. So I'm curious what X is running on.

The Hermit

The Wii-U lineup is the usual from a Nintendo console. Quality over quantity. Fantastic OP thank you!

Wow, I miss that quote! I haven't heard it since the Gamecube days...too bad we have neither so far.

I really want this thing to succeed, because the way the new consoles are shaping up, I won't be able to buy without expending heaps of money and a decent internet connection.

Frodo

Brilliant OP! Very well done.

I don't know what it is about this thread, but I kinda started considering buying MH3 after reading it...

ozfunghi

Do you mean 3 studios developing PXZ? I know multiple studios are on it, that's why I wrote co-developing.

Monolith when last known had a full staff of 92, from what I can find, which isn't large by today's standard divided onto multiple projects.

If they've also had to develop a bespoke engine that adds to time. So I'm curious what X is running on.

Monolith has 3 studio's. One is working on X, one is supposedly working on Honne's 3DS project, and maybe one is working on PXZ.

They're going to be even worse than usual without BC; at least you can pick up a few Wii titles you missed cheap if you really have nothing else to play on your WiiU.

Even though I don't care about BC at all, I still don't think they'll take it away. Don't know how they'll make it work considering how different the architecture is though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wow, I miss that quote! I haven't heard it since the Gamecube days...too bad we have neither so far.

Mario Wii U, ZombiU, and Nintendo Land are all great. The Wonderful 101 looks top shit. Bayonetta 2 will probably be good unless Platinum forgets how to make games. X is Monolith, and thus likely to be good. Monster Hunter 3 is a good game, so the port will be fine. Rayman Legends is likely to be glorious, if the demo and Origins are anything to go by. Pikmin 3 will probably be good, unless Nintendo drops the ball. Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Yoshi, and Smash are all unknowns, but have a pretty good track record.

I don't think his point is off. There's good games to play on your Wii U now, and the future looks fairly promising if quality is all you're concerned with. Quantity of that quality is an issue though, and a valid one, and not likely to change as far as I'm concerned. Can't account for personal taste either. Not everybody wants to play Mario and Zelda, but if you're one of those people you probably should steer away from Nintendo consoles.

Meesh

Mario Wii U, ZombiU, and Nintendo Land are all great. The Wonderful 101 looks top shit. Bayonetta 2 will probably be good unless Platinum forgets how to make games. X is Monolith, and thus likely to be good. Monster Hunter 3 is a good game, so the port will be fine. Rayman Legends is likely to be glorious, if the demo and Origins are anything to go by. Pikmin 3 will probably be good, unless Nintendo drops the ball. Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Yoshi, and Smash are all unknowns, but have a pretty good track record.
Forgot Wind Waker HD, bound to be an epic remaster ;p

Monolith has 3 studio's. One is working on X, one is supposedly working on Honne's 3DS project, and maybe one is working on PXZ.
Well their company page specifies 92 staff, which in itself doesn't seem large for an HD development team (cf something like Naughty Dog with 200+, before they were divided into two teams iirc). So if they're also divided on three projects, then I don't see why 2013 is definite for X.

Top Bottom