• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

-MD-

virgil-wrestling-superstar.jpg

God that's depressing.

OT: I think late 2014 is when I'll start eyeing a WiiU, games are starting to add up.

Christmas day fun with the family: Mario & Sonic or Wii Party U?

I might add that games will be played in Canada by winter sport enthusiasts. Basically, is Mario & Sonic so bad that even an interested person won't enjoy it?

nordique

I might add that games will be played in Canada by winter sport enthusiasts. Basically, is Mario & Sonic so bad that even an interested person won't enjoy it?

Whynotboth.gif

Wii u party was 49,99 @ target w remote bundled

It is in the name of family after all ;)

Roo

I'd go for Wii Party U tbh.
It has way more minigames and variety. It seems to be more family friendly than M&S tho both are great in that department. Plus there's a gamepad stand you can't miss lol

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to go with Wii Party U. Variety is important, even if the hockey in Mario & Sonic is supposed to be a blast. Maybe I'll wait for a price drop (next Christmas?).

coreyerb

Banned
Thanks. The helps to push me closer to making a purchase. Still waiting to find it price lower though. By ton of side missions are we talking about a number in the teens or 20+?
Dozen estimate seems about right. I wouldn't say they're major side quests - the game's pretty much one path with multiple options how to progress through that path (straight-ahead blasting, never being spotted). Just some things you can choose to skip if you go through the levels quickly. But worth going back and grabbing if you crave completion.

The co-op missions are the bigger reason I'll keep it. You can play all of them except maybe one by yourself offline, which is good since there are major connectivity issues online. There are different styles of missions from the single-player, including a few horde-based levels that, while more fun with a teammate with a mic, are fun to try different approaches to and beat your high scores.

coreyerb

Banned
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to go with Wii Party U. Variety is important, even if the hockey in Mario & Sonic is supposed to be a blast. Maybe I'll wait for a price drop (next Christmas?).
Winter sports enthusiasts you say? I know nothing of Wii Party U but the Winter Olympics are in 79 days. If, with that knowledge, you can wait for Mario & Sonic in hopes of a price cut, you're a stronger person than I am.

Wii Party U likely will be just as fun any other time of year; I needed a game to scratch my winter sports itch, and while I would say the criticisms of it are fair, Mario & Sonic fills my irrational need to do things on ice.

Roo

It'll be half its current price in February lol

JoV

I wonder whatever happened to that Wii U port of Ashes Cricket 2013. Game got pulled days before release back in June, and just today I saw the PC version appear for pre-order on Steam ahead of a release on the 22nd.

The absolute definition of shovelware.

Roo

Is there a similar thread for 3DS games?, my son wants to know if the 3DS Digimon game is coming to America lol.

No, there is not afaik and about Digimon.. I don't think we'll see it around here.
There was a campain similar to Operation Rainfall to localize the game without any significant success.

I don't blame Namco tho. Digimon is as niche as it can get so they probably don't want to spend on a game that will bomb hard.

ozfunghi

I've been thinking about getting either Injustice or Tekken TT2 as well. I've heard good things about both of them, but they're not in the recommended section. I know TTT2 was a bit less performance wise than the PS360 but with exclusive features. Don't know what the deal was with Injustice.

I've been thinking about getting either Injustice or Tekken TT2 as well. I've heard good things about both of them, but they're not in the recommended section. I know TTT2 was a bit less performance wise than the PS360 but with exclusive features. Don't know what the deal was with Injustice.

Injustice is perfectly fine other than still having no option for Private Matches online. It also receives DLC at a slower pace than the other versions for whatever reason.

Draconian

So Reggie and Bill are on GT TV tomorrow night. They're showing new DKC levels and talking about the 2014 lineup. I know not to get too excited, but can we at least expect something like a Bayonetta 2 release date and a new Smash trailer?

D-e-f-

Banned
So Reggie and Bill are on GT TV tomorrow night. They're showing new DKC levels and talking about the 2014 lineup. I know not to get too excited, but can we at least expect something like a Bayonetta 2 release date and a new Smash trailer?

LOOOOOOL you're a riot.

Riki

Bayo 2 trailer maybe. Smash no chance.

Zing

Banned
I have two eight-year-olds in the house, so I just ordered Just Dance 2014 from amazon. It will be interesting to see how much accuracy the Wii remote requires. I'd think that it responds to any sort of waggle.

I'd be happy about DK new footage, with a glimpse of MK too
I'm going to buy those games, anyway. Once I decide I will play a game, I avoid all media related to it. I still haven't seen anything of Super Mario 3D World since the first trailer.

plank

I have two eight-year-olds in the house, so I just ordered Just Dance 2014 from amazon. It will be interesting to see how much accuracy the Wii remote requires. I'd think that it responds to any sort of waggle.

I'm going to buy those games, anyway. Once I decide I will play a game, I avoid all media related to it. I still haven't seen anything of Super Mario 3D World since the first trailer.

You haven't heard of Wii Motion Plus?

m0t0k1

I absolutly love tekken on the wii u i asked multiple times to add that to the recomendations and Warrior Orochi 3 but i get ignored everytime. But tekken is my most played game on the system. When i have friends over we usually play a bit of wii party or mario and then head over to Tekken to play some tekken ball it is crazy how fun that can be. Online is pretty dead in the afternoon though. In the evening i can find some nice matches. Lag is still doable on 1 bar. Also off tv works great when i am cooking dinner and my food is on the fire i can just play a round or 2 on my wiipad before focusing on the food again. only thing is you have to manually switch it on in the option mode. I dont have injustice but never was a big fan of the fighting mechanics of mortal kombat or super hero comics so never looked into that. heard it has a nice story though.

edit: the mushroom mode isnt something special. But the remixes of classic mario music is great. The nintendo costumes are really fun goofy looking.

jmizzal

Talking bout to 2014 lineup yea it will be Reggie saying we have Mario Kart, DKCTF, Bayo2 and Smash Bros coming, plus more. They are not showing anything new on Spike lol

While we're at it, Retro is searching for new employees again:

http://www.retrostudios.com/careers.asp

- FX Artist
- Concept Artist

Maybe they already began with their next project, don't know why they would need another Concept Artist at this stage of DKC (it should've been released next month).

And Miyamotos quote from September:

"I think Retro has really come to a point at which it’s possible for it to have multiple lines running at the same time and
having different projects in development.
I totally think there are possibilities to see different projects from Retro in the future."

- FX Artist
- Concept Artist

Maybe they already began with their next project, don't know why they would need another Concept Artist at this stage of DKC (it should've been released next month).

"I think Retro has really come to a point at which it’s possible for it to have multiple lines running at the same time and
I totally think there are possibilities to see different projects from Retro in the future."

Here we go again.

Riki

- FX Artist
- Concept Artist

They've likely already had a second project in "development" for a while now. DKCTF shouldn't have taken their entire staff all of three years (close to 4) to make.

They've likely already had a second project in "development" for a while now. DKCTF shouldn't have taken their entire staff all of three years (close to 4) to make.
LinkedIn says they have 51 - 200 employees (what a range lol). http://www.linkedin.com/company/retro-studios

If the 200 is correct, they could've worked on two projects? (Of course, DKC is the priority)

We know that Super Mario 3D World took up to 100 people:

"At first, about 40 to 50, but there were about 100 in the end." http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/super-mario-3d-world/0/0

Phazon

LinkedIn says they have 51 - 200 employees (what a range lol). http://www.linkedin.com/company/retro-studios

If the 200 is correct, they could've worked on two projects? (Of course, DKC is the priority)

We know that Super Mario 3D World took up to 100 people:

"At first, about 40 to 50, but there were about 100 in the end." http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/super-mario-3d-world/0/0

Retro isn't 200 people big, no way. They have gained talent, but also lost a lot.

Kandinsky

No, there is not afaik and about Digimon.. I don't think we'll see it around here.
There was a campain similar to Operation Rainfall to localize the game without any significant success.

I don't blame Namco tho. Digimon is as niche as it can get so they probably don't want to spend on a game that will bomb hard.
Ouch his poor soul, I think I'll just tell him it's undecided :(

Thank you both.

Hiltz

200 Retro Studios employees? That seems too good to be true. Most of Nintendo's in-house teams seem to clock in around 100 staff max, so it probably isn't that much bigger even after entering HD development.

ozfunghi

I absolutly love tekken on the wii u i asked multiple times to add that to the recomendations and Warrior Orochi 3 but i get ignored everytime. But tekken is my most played game on the system. When i have friends over we usually play a bit of wii party or mario and then head over to Tekken to play some tekken ball it is crazy how fun that can be. Online is pretty dead in the afternoon though. In the evening i can find some nice matches. Lag is still doable on 1 bar. Also off tv works great when i am cooking dinner and my food is on the fire i can just play a round or 2 on my wiipad before focusing on the food again. only thing is you have to manually switch it on in the option mode. I dont have injustice but never was a big fan of the fighting mechanics of mortal kombat or super hero comics so never looked into that. heard it has a nice story though.

edit: the mushroom mode isnt something special. But the remixes of classic mario music is great. The nintendo costumes are really fun goofy looking.

Injustice is perfectly fine other than still having no option for Private Matches online. It also receives DLC at a slower pace than the other versions for whatever reason.

Thanx duderino's

D-e-f-

Banned

- FX Artist
- Concept Artist

Game A winds down -> work on Game B has already started. Concept artist sit around with nothing to do in the final polish stages of development which DKC is now in. So it's not surprising they're looking for new peeps.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
as long as each game cost no more than $20 each, yes.

Metacritic for new full retail IPs at launch:
Ryse: 61
Knack: 56
ZombiU: 77

ZombiU best new IP launch game of the generation confirmed. lol.

Top Bottom