• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Metacritic for new full retail IPs at launch:
Ryse: 61
Knack: 56
ZombiU: 77

ZombiU best new IP launch game of the generation confirmed. lol.

The launch of PS4 and XBone show how many things were blown out of proportion with Wii U launch on this forum. Starting with lauch games, specially ZombiU, a great game that was categorized as garbage with a score of 77 and continuing with the freezes and couple of dead consoles (no way close to so many issues that PS4 faces) and ending with missing OS features at launch. Maybe it would have been a better idea to launch Wii U also now with a full library and a completed OS, it would have found better its market (which is anyhow different) and it would have competed against 2 real consoles not 2 ideal imaginary ones for almost a year.

kunonabi

The Wii U's big three fared pretty well metacritic wise(as useless a metric as that is)

NSMBU - 84
Nintendoland - 77
Zombi U - 77

Ryse - 61
Forza - 82
DR3 - 78

Knack - 56
Killzone - 73
Resogun - 83

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
zombiu review are ridicously low.
I wonder if Ryse and Knack fanbase will be as compact as the zombiu one against those scores

More job listings watch, this time Monolith's X:

Google Translate gibberish:
• Network programmer Urgent!
Programming of network clients in the home-use game machine.
Development of library and network-enabled applications using the Internet.

• Programmer Urgent!
The program work on game creation

• Planner Urgent!
① In game planner consumer game production experience, welcome a game development experience with a better network with the specification of experience of proposal
② city planner in charge of part Urgent!
Better scripting capability that may in consumer game production experience, is responsible for the town part of RPG, welcome in a program knowledge
③ Battle algorithm responsible planner Urgent!
Sometimes in the consumer game production experience, wrote the AI ​​of enemy,
(Another possibility programmers) who it is that it has formed a script

• 3DCG designers Urgent!
Create 3D character models and 3D map model
Such as the creation of facial animation

• 2D designers
(Character set, mechanic set, art set, storyboards created), etc.

• Effects designer
Creating effects in battle scenes and maps (effect)

• Motion designer Urgent!
Motion creation event, the character or the like in the battle scene, etc.

• Project manager
Progression / management of game production
http://translate.google.de/translat...ww.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/recruit_01.html

The town planner part is interesting:
"is responsible for the town part of RPG"

Is there only one central town? Maybe Google didn't translate it correctly.

Overall, seems like these people are needed for the "polish phase" or end phase in the game production. The E3 build looked even better than the reveal-build.

D-e-f-

Banned

It's crazy. Especially when you think about how half the reviews didn't properly "get" the game. Well, maybe not half but definitely quite a chunk of them.

leroidys

More job listings watch, this time Monolith's X:

Google Translate gibberish:

http://translate.google.de/translat...ww.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/recruit_01.html

The town planner part is interesting:
"is responsible for the town part of RPG"

Is there only one central town? Maybe Google didn't translate it correctly.

Overall, seems like these people are needed for the "polish phase" or end phase in the game production. The E3 build looked even better than the reveal-build.

Japanese doesn't have a productive plural enclitic, so don't infer any kind of singularity of town-ness from that bit.

prag16

Banned
It's crazy. Especially when you think about how half the reviews didn't properly "get" the game. Well, maybe not half but definitely quite a chunk of them.

Yeah. This is amazing to me. Wii U got lambasted for having "crappy launch exclusives". They apparently blow the doors off PS4/xbone launch exclusives.

PS4 at least had two scoring well, but one of them isn't even an exclusive (okay, Sony exclusive... Flower), and the other is also a small-ish downloadable game (Resogun).

Draconian

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is what every Wii U owner should want from a late port of a game. Exclusive modes, features, and costumes, and a game that runs well and keeps all the features from its earlier release. I played with my friend for a couple of hours yesterday and the amount of content here is awesome. Tekken Ball is so addicting and so much fun. Anyway, anybody hesitating to pick this up, but worried about it not being listed in the recommendations shouldn't worry. The new features make it the best version of the game, and it's a great example of a late port done the right way.

Tokieda

Nice avatar. It's productive though? (Honest question, I've had two years of Japanese but my knowledge of deep structure in the language is lacking.)

You can put sho (諸) in front of most nominal kanji compounds to create plurals, so yes, it is (unlike -たち, for instance), but not with 'native' Japanese words.
And thanks, I was waiting for the day someone recognised it :))
I actually don't subscribe to a lot of Chomskian theory, but he's still my favourite linguist

leroidys

You can put sho (諸) in front of most nominal kanji compounds to create plurals, so yes, it is (unlike -たち, for instance), but not with 'native' Japanese words.
And thanks, I was waiting for the day someone recognised it :))
I actually don't subscribe to a lot of Chomskian theory, but he's still my favourite linguist
Interesting, thanks!

Yeah, it's unfortunate how he was so influential that everything that's not-Chomskian has been basically shouted down for the past 30 years by him and his inner circle.

Even if one were to think his entire UG program is garbage, his contributions to formal language theory have been extremely influential in things like compilers and algorithm design. Dude's a straight up genius.

Zalman

I didn't buy a Wii U at launch because the launch lineup wasn't strong enough for me, but it was still better than what Sony and Microsoft are offering right now. Easily.

Just popped in to also recommend Tekken Tag 2. Bought it near launch in a B2G1 deal at Target. Ridiculous amount of content. Waiting for the Eshop price to drop (it's still $55) to get a digital copy as well so I can play a quick match whenever I want. It's a steal at it's current retail price.

RvbyeHR.jpg

My Wii U games. Waiting for a price drop on Sochi Olympics and Ghosts, and I've got Lego City and Scribblenaughts on the back of my mind.

Tokieda

Interesting, thanks!

Yeah, it's unfortunate how he was so influential that everything that's not-Chomskian has been basically shouted down for the past 30 years by him and his inner circle.

Even if one were to think his entire UG program is garbage, his contributions to formal language theory have been extremely influential in things like compilers and algorithm design. Dude's a straight up genius.

#linguistgafhighfive, I completely agree :)

Back on topic though, how does a pesky European get to see that new Donkey Kong footage?

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is what every Wii U owner should want from a late port of a game. Exclusive modes, features, and costumes, and a game that runs well and keeps all the features from its earlier release. I played with my friend for a couple of hours yesterday and the amount of content here is awesome. Tekken Ball is so addicting and so much fun. Anyway, anybody hesitating to pick this up, but worried about it not being listed in the recommendations shouldn't worry. The new features make it the best version of the game, and it's a great example of a late port done the right way.

Agreed.

Jawmuncher

RvbyeHR.jpg

My Wii U games. Waiting for a price drop on Sochi Olympics and Ghosts, and I've got Lego City and Scribblenaughts on the back of my mind.

I actually ended up returning game and wario and got Mario Party 9 instead (really liked the changes they made). I don't know what I expected from Game and Wario but I expected more even at it's budget price. I absolutely loved the GBA and DS games.

m0t0k1

Just popped in to also recommend Tekken Tag 2. Bought it near launch in a B2G1 deal at Target. Ridiculous amount of content. Waiting for the Eshop price to drop (it's still $55) to get a digital copy as well so I can play a quick match whenever I want. It's a steal at it's current retail price.

Friendly warning that the game is 17gb. So you are almost certain of needing an external HD when you buy that digitally. it's €30 here in the eshop.

I actually ended up returning game and wario and got Mario Party 9 instead (really liked the changes they made). I don't know what I expected from Game and Wario but I expected more even at it's budget price. I absolutely loved the GBA and DS games.

Yeah it's definitely lacking, not only as a game but even as a party/side game. To be fair though I haven't played the single player thoroughly yet. The artwork mode with 4 people however justified me keeping it. Hopefully there's more to the package.

If you compare it to Mario Party 9 then yes Party 9 definitely is the better buy overall. If you haven't got Wii Party U and you often play local multiplayer, then I definitely recommend it.

Jawmuncher

Yeah it's definitely lacking, not only as a game but even as a party/side game. To be fair though I haven't played the single player thoroughly yet. The artwork mode with 4 people however justified me keeping it. Hopefully there's more to the package.

If you compare it to Mario Party 9 then yes Party 9 definitely is the better buy overall. If you haven't got Wii Party U and you often play local multiplayer, then I definitely recommend it.

I didn't even know Wii Party U came out.
That'll be a definite buy. My friends and family love playing on the WiiU

It comes with a remote plus so you get the game for practically free :) and it's packed with content.

Slightly off topic but reviewers really don't know how to review certain games. Wii Party U for example. If you compare it to "AAA" games then obviously scoring it higher than a 7 would seem odd, but games really should be rated for what they are. When buying Party U or similar games, you buy it knowing it's a party game anyway, so it should be judged on that. And given that it's a party game, it's easily at least an 8.5-9 on any scale.

Not sure what else i plan to buy in 2013 But it's been a solid enough year. 2014 will be even better with Smash Bro's, Fire Emblem (Hopefully) Monolith's game and Mario Kart imo..

Hopefully a few hiddens gems as well.

Add me anyone to your friends list! DwayneBennett is my Nin ID..

Jawmuncher

It comes with a remote plus so you get the game for practically free :) and it's packed with content.

Slightly off topic but reviewers really don't know how to review certain games. Wii Party U for example. If you compare it to "AAA" games then obviously scoring it higher than a 7 would seem odd, but games really should be rated for what they are. When buying Party U or similar games, you buy it knowing it's a party game anyway, so it should be judged on that. And given that it's a party game, it's easily at least an 8.5-9 on any scale.

Yeah it definitely seems like the regular reviews reviewed it lower just because of what it was. The user reviews are much higher.

What game comes with a free Wiimote motion plus? I might buy that if that's the case.. I want all Motion plus remotes.

Have 1 now.. plus getting the mario and luigi for my son for xmas.. one more would be perfect to have 4

ozfunghi

Captain Smoker... are you considering a 2014 topic, or are you just going to keep managing this list? Maybe just get rid of the year?

Anyway, should Tekken (and Injustice) be added to the recommended section? I believe if RE:R, Ghosts etc are on there, maybe they should?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
glad to hear all this Tekken love, considering that I'm planning to buy it digitally together with Rayman in early 2014. both are 29€ on the eshop and I've got a discount card too

I'm still playing W101, and I'm going to buy Mario in early December. Still confused about Scribblenauts Unlimited (finally coming to EU)

Zing

Banned
What game comes with a free Wiimote motion plus? I might buy that if that's the case.. I want all Motion plus remotes.

Have 1 now.. plus getting the mario and luigi for my son for xmas.. one more would be perfect to have 4
Just Dance 2014 has a white remote bundle. Wii Party is black. Mario and Sonic has blue.

I am hooked on Lego City. Such a well designed game. As I play, I keep noticing things that clearly took some thought and good decisions from the developer. They seem to have thought of everything when it comes to smooth and fun gameplay. It took me a while to fully trust them, as I kept wanting to veer off the main story and explore everything I could. Now, I just let them guide me the story mode and I will return to exploring later. The story mode really does introduce everything as needed and give a proper introduction to the world.

Just Dance 2014 is surprisingly fun. The online world dance mode is great. I really feel like I am part of some huge group dancing together and contributing to the global song unlock. It's neat how it is "live" and continually going, like a radio station. You join in and it all happens synchronously, in real time. Everyone in the world is dancing to the same song.

All these great games almost makes me wish 3D World were being released later. Almost.

Nudull

Banned
Very tempted to get that Mario and Sonic Sochi wiimote bundle. I'm planning on getting a pro controller anyway, but I could use it to play some old Wii games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it seems taht at least in the 2014 games topic we will be able to add another third party one.
It seems that Lego The Hobbit was leaked, listed also for Wii U.

it seems taht at least in the 2014 games topic we will be able to add another third party one.
It seems that Lego The Hobbit was leaked, listed also for Wii U.
Saw it too.

I'll add it after an official confirmation. :p

Reggie stated in the latest GT.TV episode that they want to ensure a steadier flow of releases and consistend marketing for the Wii U in 2014.

Let's start the guessing (and if they don't delay things):

Jan: ---
Feb.: Donkey Kong Country
Mar.: Mario Kart 8
Apr.: ???
May: ???
Jun.: Bayonetta 2
July: Yoshi's Epic Yarn
Aug.: Monolith's X pleeeease lol
Sep.: ???
Nov.: Super Smash Bros. 4
Dec.: ???