• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Retail Games Arriving Early

EloquentM

aka Mannny
A7mU2bDCUAAkTXG.jpg
Does the manual say anything about off-tv play?

SuperPac

Does the manual say anything about off-tv play?

Yes, page 5 under Remote Play - "When this option is enabled, the main screen is redirected on the Wii U GamePad. This allows someone to watch TV while you keep playing the game. This option has no effect when playing with the Wii U Pro Controller."

Effect

Yes, page 5 under Remote Play - "When this option is enabled, the main screen is redirected on the Wii U GamePad. This allows someone to watch TV while you keep playing the game. This option has no effect when playing with the Wii U Pro Controller."

Some of the complaints I've read about the game are about the game not explaining gameplay systems. Does the manual actually talk about things like that or just controls?

Eusis

Some of the complaints I've read about the game are about the game not explaining gameplay systems. Does the manual actually talk about things like that or just controls?
It's Ubisoft, so probably the former. HOWEVER, it's sounding like all games require a digital manual similar to the 3DS/Vita, so if that's the case here then maybe they'll explain things better in there.

But yeah, this is the irony of dropping manuals: now that I think about it a lot of newer games ARE plausibly so complicated you actually need to consult the damn things if you miss or forget something, not like Mega Man where you had... uhh, move, jump, shoot, menu, and weapons that you'd instantly know how they worked by trying or seeing the demonstration.

Wait, people are nitpicking about holes in the case that they will never see unless the case is open? It doesn't affect how the games look on your shelf, and (far more importantly) they don't affect gameplay.

People will find any reason to bitch these days. The amount of plastic being saved by this is worth nothing, because it looks bad when you open up a case? Ugh.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wait, people are nitpicking about holes in the case that they will never see unless the case is open? It doesn't affect how the games look on your shelf, and (far more importantly) they don't affect gameplay.

People will find any reason to bitch these days. The amount of plastic being saved by this is worth nothing, because it looks bad when you open up a case? Ugh.
Parts of the disc is exposed, that's why it's an issue.

If they wanted to save plastic, they'd use jewel sizes cases.

Parts of the disc is exposed, that's why it's an issue.

If they wanted to save plastic, they'd use jewel sizes cases.

You mean the part of the disc that isn't read by the console? EDIT: This statement is wrong, I was thinking only of the giant recycle symbol, not the holes beneath the disc as well.

I imagine the amount of discs that are affected by this is negligible. And Jewel cases are incredibly fragile compared to the ones they're using now.

If the 3DS is anything to go by, it will be priced exactly like the retail versions/even more in some cases.

Probably exactly MSRP, although if you have a deluxe console you get 10% back. So a $60 game gets you $6 back in points.

I was wondering because I saw news the other day that at least one game cost less than the retail version in Japan.

And no, I don't have the deluxe console.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

As a collector, I find these cases to be a real issue. There's nothing nitpicky about it.

Cases of this type are incredibly flimsy and can more easily be damaged. Between these cheap cases and the removal of manuals the state of retail games these days has reached an all time low.

Reviews popping up now. Ninja Gaiden 3 getting torched, unfortunately.

I loved most of the series, but didn't know what to expect from this one since I disliked the last game very much.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ahhhhhhhh yeaaaah

netBuff

I loved most of the series, but didn't know what to expect from this one since I disliked the last game very much.

If the IGN review dates correspond to NDA dates, we won't get any opinions on ZombiU until the 18th of November.

Code:
Wii U IGN Review Dates:

[b]Ninja Gaiden 3		               	Nov. 13[/b]
Assassin's Creed III		        Nov. 18
Darksiders 2				Nov. 18
Just Dance 4				Nov. 18
[b]New Super Mario Bros. U	                Nov. 15[/b]
Nintendo Land				Nov. 18
Rabbids Land				Nov. 18
Scribblenauts Unlimited		        Nov. 18
ZombiU					Nov. 18
Sing Party				Nov. 18
TankTankTank				Nov. 18
Sonic and All-Stars			x

[url]http://www.ign.com/wikis/ign-review-calendar/Game_Release_Dates_2012[/url]

Eusis

Does anyone know if downloading games costs less than the retail version in NA? If so, how much less?
It looks to be an EFFECTIVE savings if you get the Deluxe system: get 599 points on a $59.99 game (should just be 600 to keep us from having annoying left over bits), and 500 of those gets you $5 credit. More like a customer loyalty program really.
You mean the part of the disc that isn't read by the console?

I imagine the amount of discs that are affected by this is negligible. And Jewel cases are incredibly fragile compared to the ones they're using now.
... The laser need to see through the plastic bottom, and the label (at least on CDs/DVDs) needs to be kept unharmed for the laser to bounce off of or else the disc may not be readable. BOTH sides are necessary.

With that said the bigger problem is something managed to tear throw and dent/crack the disc. If the plastic were fully there at least underneath (with manuals protecting on the other side) that would get broken instead unless it was something extreme, in which case it was a probable loss no matter what. Still, if I'm buying a $60 game I'd rather it get a full case to protect it, save this sort of thing for bargain bin DVDs where it's kind of to be expected when you pay that little. Then of course there's the angles that it really might not be that eco friendly or even plastic reducing versus other methods to reduce plastic (or at an extreme leaving cases alone) and that this is mainly a Walmart initiative since they have enough presence to order manufacturers to do what THEY want, and in this case they want to reduce shipping costs wherever they can. Not fond on a whole of how Walmart causes everything to be cheapened no matter the cost, even if you don't actually shop there.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, apparently newegg sold more pre-orders than they had available stock for paper mario sticker star.

I hope that doesn't happen with my NSMBU and ZombiU preoders, that'd be a bummer.

Really? I just had mine sent out this morning, so I wonder if they were just backed up.

If the 3DS is anything to go by, it will be priced exactly like the retail versions/even more in some cases.

Yeah, it'll be more since most retail outlets have sales. But for people in the US that intend to buy from the eshop, if you set your address to Alaska (other places probably work fine too) you won't get charged tax.

Effect

I hate not being able to make up my mind. Wanted to head out to the store today to pick up a game early so I'll have it for Sunday. Can't make up my mind between Mass Effect 3 (made peace with the trilogy nonsense and the price. Really would like to play an RPG on the Wii U and the ME3 multiplayer), Assassin's Creed 3 (the bugs really bother me but I am interested in the game), or just waiting to grab Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on launch day. I'm not a fighting game fan but Tekken looks like fun and even if I just stick to offline play and fighting ghost I could get a lot out of the game, at least for a while. Just something from possible buy list since the NewEgg order won't be here until the middle of next week at the earliest.

We say we want a big line up on launch day. However this is the negative. Not being able to pick what to get first.

dark10x

You disliked NG2?

I'll be honest, NG3 has issues and is really not a great sequel to NG, but I actually enjoyed it more than NG2. :\

SuperPac

I picked up Assassin's Creed III at Best Buy today. Not sure if it was just this particular Best Buy or all of them, but they had their Wii U games mixed in amongst the Wii game section. This is the same Best Buy that has UMD PSP games in their Vita section STILL.

Is this the case for others who've seen Wii U games in the wild?

I hate not being able to make up my mind. Wanted to head out to the store today to pick up a game early so I'll have it for Sunday. Can't make up my mind between Mass Effect 3 (made peace with the trilogy nonsense and the price. Really would like to play an RPG on the Wii U and the ME3 multiplayer), Assassin's Creed 3 (the bugs really bother me but I am interested in the game), or just waiting to grab Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on launch day. I'm not a fighting game fan but Tekken looks like fun and even if I just stick to offline play and fighting ghost I could get a lot out of the game, at least for a while. Just something from possible buy list since the NewEgg order won't be here until the middle of next week at the earliest.

We say we want a big line up on launch day. However this is the negative. Not being able to pick what to get first.

Tekken Tag looks like the most exciting title as it actually utilizes some of the Wii U features. Plus all those Nintendo extras.

Hobby

Guess I'll post this in here, too.

Back of Nintendo Land's JP box.

1-5 players
Supported video output: 480p, 720p
6 MB required for save data
Number of saves: 1 (shared among all users)
Supported controllers: Wii U gamepad, Wii Remote MotionPlus + Nunchuk (dependent on attraction played, sensor bar also required for some attractions)
Nintendo Network: sharing of play experiences through Miiverse

x1hjD.jpg

dark10x

I'm very curious about AC3.

I'm still planning on getting the PC version, but if the WiiU version turns out to be solid, I might give that a shot instead. As it stands, the 360 and PS3 versions are unacceptably choppy. If the WiiU version fares no better than I'm definitely going PC.

OK, that's interesting that NintendoLand only lists 720P. NSMBU shows 1080P IIRC which conflicts with what we've been told before.

cajunator

Banned

Basically, the main issue is durability in shipping and also deformation of paper inserts in the covers.
I agree with the usage of this type of case, but definitely for cheaper items only.

Eusis

OK, that's interesting that NintendoLand only lists 720P. NSMBU shows 1080P IIRC which conflicts with what we've been told before.
That also makes it seem like maybe listing resolution really DOES matter, and if so I hope NoA implants it sooner than later in their cover layouts.

... And man, are they REALLY limiting saves to be shared between accounts, or is their a difference between users/accounts? Nintendo Land admittedly might be a case where that really would make more sense, but it still doesn't come off as a good idea on a whole to blow off that advantage of accounts.

1-5 players
Supported controllers: Wii U gamepad, Wii Remote MotionPlus + Nunchuk (dependent on attraction played, sensor bar also required for some attractions)

x1hjD.jpg

Am I reading this correct? Nintendo Land will only support Wii Remote MotionPlus controllers and not regular Wii remotes?

I picked up Assassin's Creed III at Best Buy today. Not sure if it was just this particular Best Buy or all of them, but they had their Wii U games mixed in amongst the Wii game section. This is the same Best Buy that has UMD PSP games in their Vita section STILL.

Is this the case for others who've seen Wii U games in the wild?

I saw something similar at K-Mart today. Wii U games mixed in randomly with the Wii games in the case. The only thing Wii U related I saw at Best Buy was the re-branded Wii Remotes.

Jaruru

1-5 players

x1hjD.jpg

and the sensor bar is not included in the JP Wii U packages, right?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
AC3 having off-tv play is tempting, especially with Razor's Edge being a dud.

My decison on launch games will go down to the wire I think.

D-e-f-

Banned
Am I reading this correct? Nintendo Land will only support Wii Remote MotionPlus controllers and not regular Wii remotes?

Metroid Blast and Zelda Battle Quest obviously require WM+ so yea ... you're gonna need those. Apparently the other games work with regular remotes but you should at least get the Motion+ dongle if you want a future proof controller around.

Drago

1-5 players

x1hjD.jpg

It blows my mind that NA boxes are completely devoid of all of this info. I guess you can say the player count is still there if you look at the Wiimote number, but what if there are no Wiimotes used in the game / the game is 5 players instead of 4? Graaaaugh

Now that my rant's out of the way, I do find it very interesting that NL supports only 480p and 720p, while NSMBU supports every possible resolution. Very odd indeed...

My Scribblenauts Unlimited arrived, but as a special thank you for paying more to order from GameStop instead of Amazon, there was no preorder hat.

My Scribblenauts Unlimited arrived, but as a special thank you for paying more to order from GameStop instead of Amazon, there was no preorder hat.

Wow, I was thinking about buying from GameStop for the hat, but now I'm glad I didn't. What a sham. I know I'll really enjoy the game, though. I guess that's the important part :)

Review copies should arrive later in the week, I'd imagine. I think the disc art was shared today. Hopefully some impressions before the weekend because it is a game I'm considering for launch having skipped it on PS360.
Cool. I really want to see how it's shaped up. Hopefully it's been hammered out a bit more.

AC3 having off-tv play is tempting, especially with Razor's Edge being a dud.

My decison on launch games will go down to the wire I think.

hmmmmm its tempting for me too, had no idea AC3 had off tv play

so far its zombiu and NSMB wii u for insta buys with other games TBD

Top Bottom