• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.
:(

It's pretty sad to see a great series like Angel Beats attacked again and again, rarely with any acknowledgement that the hatred is entirely personal opinions and isn't representative of the show's general popularity or overall quality...

I mean, when I dislike something I certainly say so, but I do try to think about an objective viewpoint too, about the overall quality of the show irrespective of my dislike for it. I know that's hard sometimes, certainly true for everyone, but I do try... that's entirely absent from posts like this.

Of course I'm biased, given that Angel Beats was one of my three favorite animes of 2010 (probably #2 behind Sora no Woto), but still, it's worth saying again.

Angel Beats may be popular, but popularity is by no means a sign of quality. It's objectively a poorly-made show.

Risette

A Good Citizen
:(

It's pretty sad to see a great series like Angel Beats attacked again and again, rarely with any acknowledgement that the hatred is entirely personal opinions and isn't representative of the show's general popularity or overall quality...

I mean, when I dislike something I certainly say so, but I do try to think about an objective viewpoint too, about the overall quality of the show irrespective of my dislike for it. I know that's hard sometimes, certainly true for everyone, but I do try... that's entirely absent from posts like this.

Of course I'm biased, given that Angel Beats was one of my three favorite animes of 2010 (probably #2 behind Sora no Woto), but still, it's worth saying again.
There's been plenty of objective criticism of Angel Beats. It's a tone-flipping mishmash of genres with no real flow or logical construction with the typical contrived & manipulative Key script and absolutely horrifyingly awful visuals. Pass.

Angel Beats may be popular, but popularity is by no means a sign of quality. It's objectively a poorly-made show.

It's objectively brilliant and very well made, though, I would say.

There's been plenty of objective criticism of Angel Beats. It's a tone-flipping mishmash of genres with no real flow or logical construction with the typical contrived Key script and absolutely horrifyingly awful visuals. Pass.

Criticisms like that are from people who dislike the style and miss the point, pretty much. It doesn't say much about how good or bad the show actually is. It's got tone-flipping? Yes, true. That's one of the major points about the show. If you hate it, of course I can see you hating the show... but that does NOT mean it was done badly, it wasn't. It just means you dislike it!

As for the scripts, Key's scriptwriting is generally their strongest point, for sure, which is probably why the Key haters here have made that the centerpoint for their hatred. That doesn't make their writing any weaker, it just means you dissent on its quality, versus people like me who like it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Criticisms like that are from people who dislike the style and miss the point, pretty much. It doesn't say much about how good or bad the show actually is. It's got tone-flipping? Yes, true. That's one of the major points about the show. If you hate it, of course I can see you hating the show... but that does NOT mean it was done badly, it wasn't. It just means you dislike it!
Uh, no. The type of tone-flipping in Angel Beats is always a bad thing. It's basic editing and screenwriting stuff that's been laid out for ages completely ignored.

There's been plenty of objective criticism of Angel Beats. It's a tone-flipping mishmash of genres with no real flow or logical construction with the typical contrived & manipulative Key script and absolutely horrifyingly awful visuals. Pass.

The concert scenes weren't bad, but then, that only makes the rest of the anime look worse by default (and prove that they could have made it all good, had they wanted to).

The typical argument by those who defend Angel Beats is that it would have been actually coherent had it run for 26 episodes. I see no evidence for such baseless speculation.

Branduil

Objectively, basically every part of Angel Beats that isn't the OP or the rocket chair scene is really badly done. I don't like KEY's stuff but it's easy to admit that KyoAni's adaptions at least look and sound good.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Objectively, basically every part of Angel Beats that isn't the OP or the rocket chair scene is really badly done. I don't like KEY's stuff but it's easy to admit that KyoAni's adaptions at least look and sound good.

Don't make me post that pic, Branduil.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Uh, no. The type of tone-flipping in Angel Beats is always a bad thing. It's basic editing and screenwriting stuff that's been laid out for ages completely ignored.
Yep, and for the most part I can't think of a single good show that utilizes that kind of tone-flipping, I mean there is plenty of good stuff that is both comedic and serious in nature, but it always shifts on a episode-by-episode basis, never throughout the ENTIRE episode which is a bad thing IMO.

Also you know a another piece of work that had annoying tone-flipping? the star wars prequels.

Angel Beats does tone-flipping better than just about any anime I've seen. Often it is a problem when shows flip back and forth between serious and tragic, but Angel Beats shows how it can be done right. The contrast between the overly depressing Key drama on the one hand and the silly comedy on the other might seem extreme, but they came up with a great setting to explain how both can coexist, and the series as a whole balanced both quite well.

I mean, sure, maybe the humor could have been better at times, but Key has a lot more experience with tragedy than comedy so I can excuse a bit of that...

As for the visuals, it's one of Key's most stylish and clearly high-budget shows. And yes, I assume this means you'll post that one screenshot again. That's pretty much meaningless and ignores all of the other ways the show shows off budget Key's early animes certainly didn't have. The show looked pretty good.

Angels Beats! is a total guilty pleasure for me.

I (almost) have no shame in saying that.

I was liking it along the way, despite how depressing the characters' backstories were at times, but it's the ending that really sealed it as #2 for the year, above, say, Katanagatari. Such a sweet ending, they deserved it. :)

The concert scenes weren't bad, but then, that only makes the rest of the anime look worse by default (and prove that they could have made it all good, had they wanted to).

The typical argument by those who defend Angel Beats is that it would have been actually coherent had it run for 26 episodes. I see no evidence for such baseless speculation.

I think it would have been even better with 26 episodes, yeah, but they did a pretty good job of squeezing it into 13.

flawfuls

Yep, and for the most part I can't think of a single good show that utilizes that kind of tone-flipping, I mean there is plenty of good stuff that is both comedic and serious in nature, but it always shifts on a episode-by-episode basis, never throughout the ENTIRE episode which is a bad thing IMO.

Also you know a another piece of work that had annoying tone-flipping? the star wars prequels.

Gintama is pretty masterful at tone-flipping.

As for the visuals, it's one of Key's most stylish and clearly high-budget shows. And yes, I assume this means you'll post that one screenshot again. That's pretty much meaningless and ignores all of the other ways the show shows off budget Key's early animes certainly didn't have. The show looked pretty good.

KyoAni is a better studio than P.A. Works and has better directors than Seiji Kishi.

Yep.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Angel Beats does tone-flipping better than just about any anime I've seen. Often it is a problem when shows flip back and forth between serious and tragic, but Angel Beats shows how it can be done right. The contrast between the overly depressing Key drama on the one hand and the silly comedy on the other might seem extreme, but they came up with a great setting to explain how both can coexist, and the series as a whole balanced both quite well.
It does not and cannot work, ever.

As for the visuals, it's one of Key's most stylish and clearly high-budget shows. And yes, I assume this means you'll post that one screenshot again. That's pretty much meaningless and ignores all of the other ways the show shows off budget Key's early animes certainly didn't have.
No lol. Angel Beats has really horrible composition, among horrible other things. It's really ugly.

Branduil

Glass Fleet: The Legend of the Wind of the Universe 6

a single frame from glass fleet contains more emotion in it than the entirety of one piece logh.

The galaxy in revolution. Renaissance.

Dzazj.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Reinhard wishes he was half as dramatic as whoever that guy is.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Gintama seems to be comedy first, in which case the tone flipping is done not to change the actual tone but for comedic effect or at least saves the drastic changes in tone for a new episode rather than doing it in between an episode in progress? I don't know. I haven't seen it. But if it doesn't do it like that then it probably isn't actually good.

Branduil

I actually haven't seen Diebuster either.

Is Gunbuster vs Diebuster actually worth watching or does it just destroy both?

Since it's just a condensed version of both, I imagine not.

This could just be my personal preference but I think Diebuster's OST is substantially better than Gunbuster's, which outside of a few tracks is some rather mediocre '80s stuff.

No, it was clear long before Porco Rosso that Miyazaki has a tendency to be "unfocused" in his screenwriting. This isn't always a bad thing, in proper doses, but it's definitely possible for it to lead to disaster if you don't keep it in check, which is what happened with Howl.

wonzo

Banned
Gintama seems to be comedy first, in which case the tone flipping is done not to change the actual tone but for comedic effect or at least saves the drastic changes in tone for a new episode rather than doing it in between an episode in progress? I don't know. I haven't seen it. But if it doesn't do it like that then it probably isn't actually good.
Usually it switches from comedy to more serious tone and vice-versa during your average episode. Sometimes it's done for comedic effect, other times it's done to leave a rather poignant feeling by the end of the episode. There are also "serious arcs" introduced every now and then mostly to flesh out the characters involved and they still manages to slip in humorous moments every now and then. They seem to have done an incredible job handling the tonal shifts from what I've seen so far (first 100 eps) as they've never felt out of place.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12082922/glass%20fleet/Dzazj.gif[img][/quote]
such raw emotion. so deep.

-Minsc-

Eureka Seven 18-29

When I first started this show, I didn't exactly have a high opinion of it. The characters were jerks and the plot moved at a very slow pace with unnecessary filler. However, there were moments of brilliance that kept me watching even if some scenes annoyed the hell out of me.

However, I can no longer talk about the redeeming values of this show because recent events have made me incredibly angry. Few fictional pieces of work will actually make me angry, but this just happens to be one of them.

From like 20-25 or something, the show became really good. Real consequences were starting to show for the actions of the characters.
Renton realizes he has been killing people and runs away, leaving Gekkostate in a deserved state of despair. Seeing them suffer after the way he was treated was pretty satisfying, especially with Holland. Not only that, but the kid ends up with the most likable duo in the show. Seeing Ray and Charles interact with Renton put a smile on my face. Previously the only sympathetic character in the show had finally found a bit of happiness in a comfortable family with a clean ship and kind replacement parents.

However, that didn't last. Because he had to
chase after a bullshit romance, he left the only place of mutual understanding he'd ever experienced. And once he gets back to Gekkostate, what happens? They throw him in the fuckin brig. He left a loving home for this kind of abuse? Yeah, Eureka is happy to have him back, but Holland being a fucktard and an all around asshole just made it painful to watch.

But nothing could prepare me for the events that would follow.
The only characters that I legitimately liked get killed, by a main character no less. Renton's reaction to Charles death was bad enough, but Ray's and the aftermath was just awful. He had the option to get revenge on his replacement parent's killer, yet instead, he saved him! A normal breakneck reaction would be to let the fucker die. Why not? Neither Holland nor the rest of the Gekkostate respects Renton nor were they even being sensitive when speaking to him. Talho selfishly asks Renton to save him while the rest of the crew just doesn't give a shit.

And the biggest bit of bullshit of all is the reason for the war in the first place and Renton's reaction to it. He's willing to
fight the whole world for a no-personality alien thing girl.
Is it romantic? Yeah, in the most douchebag way possible. When you're willing to
let other loved ones die for that, you know you have problems and probably lack the kind of empathy you need to get through life.

Now all of this wouldn't be so bad if the portrayal reflected it. But it doesn't. Everyone in Gekkostate has lost all sympathy, yet they are still portrayed as fun-loving rebels fighting for a noble cause. Even Renton, who I could at least tolerate, I can only see as an asshole that
no longer puts any weight into lives other than Eureka's. It would actually be really cool as a sort of "start of darkness" thing where Renton was willing to do anything for love and became a major villain.
The way it happened with (Guilty Crown spoilers)
Shu was great and had it happened here, it would have been the opposite reason with the same outcome and would be amazing.
But nope, Renton gets a super sympathetic portrayal even after this shit. He and the rest of Gekkostate are villains and they should be treated as such.

The only thing keeping me watching now is promise of more despair for Holland. I don't think I've wanted a character to suffer this much since forever. He is a jealous, irresponsible pedophile and bad things should happen to him. If he gets a happy ending, I will declare this one of the worst shows I have watched all the way through.

Pretty much the opposite reaction I had to the series. *shrugs* Each to their own. I don't believe it's even possible for me to hate a series. More than likely I'd just stop watching long before I got to that point.

Gintama has this mix of comedic, dramatic, and serious that just "flows". There are the comedy episodes and there are the serious episodes. The thing is there can be that one moment of comedy or serious injected and never does it seem jarring and out of place. It simply works.

NeonZ

Gintama does use tone flipping for comedic effect at times, but there's also actual tone flipping in some stories. The problem with something like Angel Beats is that the "comedy" happening in more serious situations is generally just unrelated gags, forced upon the viewer for whatever reason with exaggerated effects and such.

When Gintama does have a bit of comedy in the middle of a serious episode, it's generally just from the seemingly absurd nature of some event going on, rather than a random visual gag forced upon the viewer.

flawfuls

No it definitely does it within the episode and not just for comedic effect (though that is often why it's done).

Watch episode 188. It's a standalone episode that requires no knowledge of the series, but it does tone flipping extremely well and is one of the best written episodes of any anime ever IMO.

Narag

Blood-C 3-4

Formulaic yet I'm enjoy it so far.

Armor Hunter Mellowlink 5

Great background episode. No wonder Mellowlink is so pissed.

Melody of Oblivion 19-20

Well this entire arc was stupid.

That's some fine giant monster robot design there.
VC11u.png

G Gundam 4

Shining Gundam out of fucking nowhere <3

Noirulus

Gankutsuou - 08

Is it just me or do the character expressions feel off at times? Mr. Villefort looked like a western cartoon character near the beginning.

Is the show just being weird as usual or does the 2D wallpaper-like background actually have some kind of artistic sense that i'm missing?

I wonder what could be inside :eek: Something to do with the baby?

The music was really good this episode. Awesome ending too.

Go_Ly_Dow

Nisemono 8

The main question running through my head is why aren't the bristles on my toothbrush that fine?

Nonsense! It was a touching story of two siblings who grew apart coming to a better understanding of one another, and vowing to maintain this reconciliation by engaging in wholesome and friendly family activities.

Finally, we meet eye to eye.

Blood-C Episode 12

Dear God. Nothing could have prepared me for that. I'm still laughing from everything that had just transpired.

Thank you for this Anime-GAF.

Welcome, friend.

/XX/

Dooppel! is a pretty neat, well-animated short featuring a fight between a girl and her, uh, doppel(ganger). Check it out.
This seems like a good opportunity to say that we can have this kind of animated shorts posted in one dedicated thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414231) to share them with the rest of the forum, and also to later revisit them more easily. It is a better solution overall and this could help to revive more frequently such an amazing topic...

They're allowing him to work from Australia? That's...unconventional, isn't it? They must snail-mail him the ramen packets.
I see what you did there...

Maruyama wouldn't sell out like that.
Well, he didn't say specifically why he was discontent with MADHOUSE, right? Maybe he actually wanted something of what Miri said... what is his long term plan? Remaining as obscure objectives...

No, it was clear long before Porco Rosso that Miyazaki has a tendency to be "unfocused" in his screenwriting. This isn't always a bad thing, in proper doses, but it's definitely possible for it to lead to disaster if you don't keep it in check, which is what happened with Howl.
They would have to search for brave enough script editors that could help him... Mr. Suzuki, that should be your task! Start searching, man!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So what would happen if this season's anime was ranked according to AniDB's weighted score.

AniDB Winter Anime 2012 Ranking by weighted score

1.) Natsume Yuujinchou Shi - Rating: 8.79 [133] (weighted); Average: 8.86 [139]
2.) Nisemonogatari - Rating: 8.11 [304] (weighted); Average: 8.44 [315]
3.) The Daily Lives of High School Boys - Rating: 7.60 [189] (weighted); Average: 8.29 [191]
4.) Another - Rating: 6.66 [275] (weighted); Average: 7.89 [288]
5.) Ano Natsu de Matteru - Rating: 6.61 [255] (weighted); Average: 7.87 [263]
6.) Amagami SS+ - Rating: 6.32 [114] (weighted); Average: 7.71 [118]
7.) Thermae Romae - Rating: 5.79 [222] (weighted); Average: 7.12 [226]
8.) Aquarion Evol - Rating: 5.66 [104] (weighted) Average: 7.49 [106]
9.) Inu x Boku SS - Rating: 5.32 [149] (weighted) Average: 7.15 [152]
10.) Papa no Iukoto o Kikinasai! - Rating: 5.28 [149] (weighted); Average: 7.20 [154]
11.) Area no Kishi - Rating: 5.27 [96] (weighted); Average: 7.10 [96]
12.) Moretsu Pirates - Rating: 5.22 [221] (weighted); Average 7.19 [234]
13.) Zero no Tsukaima F - Rating: 5.09 [117] (weighted); Average: 7.54 [121]
14.) Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki - Rating: 4.96 [45] (weighted); Average: 6.80 [45]
15.) Rinne no Lagrange - Rating: 4.85 [144] (weighted) Average: 7.04 [151]
16.) New Prince of Tennis - Rating: 4.85 [44] (weighted) Average: 7.41 [45]
17.) Brave 10 - 4.76 [144] (weighted); Average: 7.12 [147]
18.) Black Rock Shooter TV - Rating: 4.61 [105] (weighted); Average: 6.89 [107]
19.) Recorder to Randsell Do - Rating: 4.33 [97] (weighted); Average: 6.60 [101]
20.) High School DxD - Rating: 4.31 [187] (weighted) Average: 7.01 [197]
21.) Kyousougiga - Rating: 3.76 [186] (weighted); Average: 6.35 [186]
22.) Symphogear - Rating: 3.76 [144] (weighted) Average: 6.45 [147]
23.) Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Dai 2 Maku - Rating: 3.72 [20] (weighted); Average: 6.15 [20]
24.) Gokujyo - Rating: 3.25 [23] (weighted); Average: 6.00 [23]
25.) Kill Me Baby - Rating: 2.69 [181] (weighted); Average 5.76 [188]

100% accurate.

Although I'd say Lagrange is rated too high personally. Otherwise everything looks about right.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai 04

I think her dedication to her cosplay is quite endearing.
So, instead of the normal introduce a new character every episode, we get formally introduced to three new girls. The loli nun which has quite a squeaky voice. The Totally Not a Girl! guy who dresses up as a maid and has pains in Not Her but his heart at the end of the episode. And, the genius who likes robotic BL. Despite how quickly they were introduced, the episode was still pretty enjoyable, and if their new thing is to spend some time each episode to read outloud eroge scenes, I'm all for it.

Rika's totally awesome. One of the highlights of the show.

Milky Holmes is far too low on this chart.
One ranking that is so inaccurate really invalidates the chart entirely.

Edit: This is of course fictional as not the same people have voted for every show, but assuming they committed such a grave mistake, their whole ability to judge animated shows seems questionable.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Nise 8 and it's not even funny anymore how much more substance Bakemonogatari had. This episode was just plain stupid and somehow I don't have the feeling it'll get better during the next few episodes.

Fuck, I loved Bake so much :(

BluWacky

Truly the pinnacle of anime openings right there.

Thing is that the Moon Phase OP has a nice idea behind it. Obviously a lot of the visual gags are lost on us filthy gaijin who aren't intimately familiar with the legend of Kaguya Hime or whatever, but even if Nekomimi Mode is particularly vapid as a song the idea behind the OP visuals is at least an interesting one.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Milky Holmes is far too low on this chart.
One ranking that is so inaccurate really invalidates the chart entirely.

Edit: This is of course fictional as not the same people have voted for every show, but assuming they committed such a grave mistake, their whole ability to judge animated shows seems questionable.

Milky Holmes isn't very good though, many other shows this season are better.

Milky Holmes isn't very good though, many other shows this season are better.

I thought the farm episode was quite good (basically Milky Holmes in a nutshell and as such a good reintroduction for a second season). The second episode seemed unnecessary.
However the third episode was everything that makes this show outstanding.

Edit: I might be biased since the first season was one of my favorites in 2010 (behind Tatami Galaxy and hmmm I really have not watched much from that year).

Articalys

Rinne no Lagrange 8

Good episode, light on action but balancing more story revelations with a fair bit of humor.
Poor Lan, first with Asteria trolling her with "wan" and then Muginami with the bedtime scene. Also, meido Array.
So, every faction is starting to make their moves right now (Novumundus, Kiss, and whatever Moid and the prince are up to).
Should be interesting to see where things go from next week.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I thought the farm episode was quite good (basically Milky Holmes in a nutshell and as such a good reintroduction for a second season). The second episode seemed unnecessary.
However the third episode was everything that makes this show outstanding.

Well, I guess Milky Holmes just isn't suited for me, since I thought first episode was easily the worst.

Rinne no Lagrange 8

Good episode, light on action but balancing more story revelations with a fair bit of humor.
Poor Lan, first with Asteria trolling her with "wan" and then Muginami with the bedtime scene. Also, meido Array.
So, every faction is starting to make their moves right now (Novumundus, Kiss, and whatever Moid and the prince are up to).
Should be interesting to see where things go from next week.

Well, it looks like I'm done with Lagrange after this episode.

jman2050

I still don't get this sentiment, because I felt the show really dragged and was too long as-is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom