• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rinne no Lagrange 8

Good episode, light on action but balancing more story revelations with a fair bit of humor.
Poor Lan, first with Asteria trolling her with "wan" and then Muginami with the bedtime scene. Also, meido Array.
So, every faction is starting to make their moves right now (Novumundus, Kiss, and whatever Moid and the prince are up to).
Should be interesting to see where things go from next week.

Im hyped my second favorite character was named.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lagrange: Anime Echoes of Evangelion 08: The Wan is a lie.

Look at all dat not-fanservice! This show is straight up mecha sci-fi action.

Jex

[Ninja Resurrection - 1998 OAV]

NinjaResurrection1.png

So, continuing my theme of watching shows that people thought might be sequels/equivalent to the extremely popular movie Ninja Scroll it seemed logical to watch Ninja Resurrection, a work lambasted by the fandom for not being Ninja Scroll despite some rather deceptive marketing. I didn't really care one bit about all that when I sat down to watch this, I just wanted to know if it could be worse than Sword for Truth.

To my pleasant surprise it's far better work than that mess of a movie, it's actually surprisingly enjoyable thanks to some good pacing and very silly action sequences. I wouldn't call it good, but it successfully evokes a variety of moods and tries to tell a story with some fairly simple characters. At least, I had no problem before some female characters entered the story (more on that later).

NinjaResurrection10.png

The question is - what kind of story is this trying to tell? Each episode opens with a lengthy historical reading quoting facts, figures along with names and dates. Part of this show attempts to be a very serious historical war drama. There's Christians being oppressed, untrustworthy advisor's, large-scale battles and speeches all round. People are brutally put down for nothing more than having a particular belief and the show clearly wants you to sympathise for their unfortunate plight.

NinjaResurrection6.png

But, er, there's also this whole story about how the leader of the Christian movement is the Son of God (or possibly the Devil) and how if he becomes evil than Satan will walk on Earth. So, err, later on he turns into a giant black dragon. Of course. The only way to stop a religious leader/dragon is to attack him with portable missile launchers and a suit of armour that lets you turn into a fighter jet. No, really:

NinjaResurrection3.png

NinjaResurrection4.png

I've only really gone into detail regarding the first of these two episodes but it's hard to talk about the story when it's clear that they stopped in the middle of the production with a lot more to go into. I mean, the way episode two finishes is clearly set up for some kind of climactic confrontation that never arises, presumably because it cost too much money and sold fairly poorly. Still, it has some artistically pleasant sequences among all the blood and gore:

NinjaResurrection7.png
NinjaResurrection8.png

While the story has no connection to Ninja Scroll it was based off a work by the same guy who wrote the material that Ninja Scroll was based on. So, as you might be able to fathom, this means women don't get treated very well. There's a lot of bizarre, horrific things that happen to them, besides being either raped or killed. In one memorable scene the evil advisor to the Christians cuts off his own finger, which then takes off a life of it's own and proceeds to climb up his daughter's legs, apparently penetrating her and somehow controlling her. It's this kind of charming sequence that makes you wonder if the creator had some serious issues. It enough to make the Virgin Mary cry blood:

NinjaResurrection5.png

Steroyd

Inu x Boku - 07

lol

Other than that, it was a weaker episode coming off the last few, although I found enough enjoyment out of it to give it a pass.

Heartcatch 38 - 41

Show seems to be ramping up when it starts to teeter outside the box of it's monster of the week format, and the action scenes are excellently done, like wow excellent. O_O

Deep down I find it kind of sad that this is the best show I've watched this week when it comes to writing about friendship and crap.

Narag

I've only really gone into detail regarding the first of these two episodes but it's hard to talk about the story when it's clear that they stopped in the middle of the production with a lot more to go into. I mean, the way episode two finishes is clearly set up for some kind of climactic confrontation that never arises, presumably because it cost too much money and sold fairly poorly.

IIRC there was a murder that mimicked a scene in the show that helped kill production as well. I really liked the show itself despite it being an exercise in badass with no place to go.

Skidd

What is AnimeGAF's opinion on Casshern Sins?

I'm almost done with it myself. Can't say much about the characters but I'm interested to see how it all ends.

In one memorable scene the evil advisor to the Christians cuts off his own finger, which then takes off a life of it's own and proceeds to climb up his daughter's legs, apparently penetrating her and somehow controlling her.
iSxLyPYkeHeF.gif

Yes the low scores reflect that but they are also ranked in the proper order. I would say AniDB is a better assessor of the talent of anime shows in comparison to you people :(
Eh? The rankings on AniDB seem to only be slightly better than the other popular sites.

iavi

Gintama seems to be comedy first, in which case the tone flipping is done not to change the actual tone but for comedic effect or at least saves the drastic changes in tone for a new episode rather than doing it in between an episode in progress? I don't know. I haven't seen it. But if it doesn't do it like that then it probably isn't actually good.

Gintama does it within the same ep, and yes; it is actually good. The contrast helps.

Go_Ly_Dow

Evangelion 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone

The events were very similar to Eva TV.

Didn't really have too much of an impact on me since I only watched Eva TV a few months ago.

Judging by the preview, it seems like the next movie will mix things up and add some new elements.

duckroll

In about 2 months time we should finally find out how much of Madhouse is left, and how many of the old guard bailed into MAPPA. Such exciting times. :D

/XX/

In about 2 months time we should finally find out how much of Madhouse is left, and how many of the old guard bailed into MAPPA. Such exciting times. :D
I find it more saddening at the moment without knowing if the change could affect negatively MADHOUSE. Preferably, I'd want the two to struck a balance and continue their own ways, but right know the uncertainty is worrying. It happens the same to me with TRIGGER Inc., and GAiNAX. I want the best for everyone involved, but seeing how many regulars of the later one have appeared recently on credits of B★RS makes me uneasy, thinking on the actual situation of the studio.

duckroll

I find it more saddening at the moment without knowing if the change could affect negatively MADHOUSE. Preferably, I'd want the two to struck a balance and continue their own ways, but right know the uncertainty is worrying. It happens the same to me with TRIGGER Inc., and GAiNAX. I want the best for everyone involved, but seeing how many regulars of the later one have appeared recently on credits of B★RS makes me uneasy, thinking on the actual situation of the studio.

I have no problems with Madhouse completely dying. They are a shell of their former selves, and they are wholly owned by NTV. This is not an ideal situation at all for an animation studio, because it takes away valuable freedom in negotiating contracts with other partners. Right now the studio is nothing but a name, since the founders are either dead or gone.

My suspicion is that any of the old talent still left at Madhouse (e.g., Morio Asaka, Yoshiaki Kawajiri) will be gone after Chihayafuru finishes. The studio doesn't really have any worthwhile known projects on the horizon.

The loss of Madhouse's name is sad, but if Mappa can recreate what Madhouse used to be, I don't think it should be viewed as tragic.

Jex

IIRC there was a murder that mimicked a scene in the show that helped kill production as well. I really liked the show itself despite it being an exercise in badass with no place to go.

Hmm, well, it really feels like a product of it's time. I can't picture them making something like this today, it so quintessentially "90's anime that got a Western release".

duckroll

My suspicion is that any of the old talent still left at Madhouse (e.g., Morio Asaka, Yoshiaki Kawajiri) will be gone after Chihayafuru finishes. The studio doesn't really have any worthwhile known projects on the horizon.

The loss of Madhouse's name is sad, but if Mappa can recreate what Madhouse used to be, I don't think it should be viewed as tragic.

But what about Koike's Lupin3rd? I'm still believing in /XX/ who believes in Catsuka! :(

What is AnimeGAF's opinion on Casshern Sins?

I'm almost done with it myself. Can't say much about the characters but I'm interested to see how it all ends.

The action is great, but I couldn't really get into it mostly because of the atmosphere. It's rather well loved here though.

Loudninja

Looks like they're re-releasing the Season 2 part 1&2 sets as a single collection.

Didn't the Funi releases bomba, though? It appears like they're never going to release the second half of the series (which is sad because it's vastly better than the first half.)
How odd,not sure what is the point of it than.

Cleopatra DC - 2

cleodc23b1zk.gif

The OVA lacks pretty much all story elements of the manga. But the action stuff is fantastic animated and the characters are enjoyable, so I will enjoy the ride.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Familiar of Zero F 08: It's like I'm watching a Tales of let's play (dat elven racism!) with all the random battles cut out and spiced with a spoonful of shameless fanservice.

I don't play Tales games for the plot. :mad:
Ah damn. Meet me somewhere bro.
A-Are you asking me out?!

Don't know where else to ask. I've been meaning to watch the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, but it's a little confusing. What's with the 2.0 or 2.22? How many movies are there? And what's the difference?

Also, what's the best legal way to watch them? I couldn't find them on PSN even though there were a ton of other anime movies. I saw one up on On Demand once but not anymore.

Thoraxes

Don't know where else to ask. I've been meaning to watch the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, but it's a little confusing. What's with the 2.0 or 2.22? How many movies are there? And what's the difference?

Also, what's the best legal way to watch them? I couldn't find them on PSN even though there were a ton of other anime movies. I saw one up on On Demand once but not anymore.

1.0 and 1.11 were the same, but 1.11 added a couple extras and touched up scenes that had too much darkness in them for the better post-theatrical release.

Basically, just buy 1.11 and 2.22. The DVDs and Blurays are cheap. DVDs are $11 and $15 on amazon right now, and the blurays are obviously more.

BluWacky

2.22 refers to the DVD/Blu-Ray release of 2.0 - just think of it as a patched version, rather than a whole new film.

So far there are only two films - the first one has a 1.0 subtitle, along with the pretentious "You Can Not" bit.

I don't think the films are available for streaming anywhere. You can buy them both on DVD or Blu-Ray, though - they seem to be between $10 and $20 to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom