• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin Discussion: Week of July 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

A powder keg waiting to explode
July 3, 2006

WATCH: RAW Rebound

Monday Night RAW is sure to see plenty of fireworks when it rolls into Philadelphia just one day before America’s Independence Day.

But according to WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon's latest announcement, D-Generation X won't be providing any of the aforementioned fireworks. After being embarrassed and literally put down in the dumps by DX last week, The Chairman has banned Shawn Michaels and Triple H from the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. But DX's motto has always been to defy authority. What will that mean for Monday Night RAW?

Last week, John Cena looked to have the WWE Championship won before Edge ran in and broke up his STFU on Rob Van Dam. The Rated-R Superstar then laid out both Cena and Van Dam. Edge also popped up at ECW one Sci Fi and speared RVD after his match against Kurt Angle. All three will square off July 15 at Saturday Night's Main Event in a Triple Threat Match for the WWE Championship, but they will get a small taste of what that will be like in a Pick Your Partner Triple Threat Tag Team Match. Each Superstar will get to choose their own partner. Who else will participate in the match? We'll find out when RAW hits the air live at 9/8 CT on the USA Network.

Plus, the Highlanders will be making their RAW debut this week. With Rory & Robbie McAllister being newcomers to America, there’s no better place to make their debut than in the cradle of Liberty itself, Philadelphia. It’s sure to be a debut you won’t want to miss.

Tune into the USA network Monday night at 9/8 CT to see the fireworks explode.

The Animal returns
July 7, 2006

There will certainly be no brotherly love when WWE storms into Philadelphia’s Wachovia Center for Friday Night SmackDown.

The biggest story—and perhaps one of the most anticipated and talked about stories of the year—is the return of Batista. It’s been six months since WWE fans have seen The Animal in the ring, which has left many people wondering how he’ll address the situation involving the Championship he was forced to vacate. Will Batista still be the force he once was, or has injury tamed the beast?

Also, Mark Henry was out for blood last week, decimating the Guerrero family name and even going as far as saying he’d spit in the face of Chavo Guerrero’s late Uncle Eddie for Chavo’s interference in Henry’s match with World Champion Rey Mysterio. After unleashing a ferocious beating on Chavo’s, Rey tore down the ramp to come to his friend’s aide. Unfortunately, Mysterio was met with the same fierce attack as Chavo, and looked to be knocked out as “The World’s Strongest Man” left the ring. What kind of shape will the Champion and Chavo be in this week after suffering such a vicious beating?

The Great Khali continued to wreak havoc on SmackDown, rolling Gunner Scott into a body bag, mocking Undertaker. Then, through his manager Daivari, Khali issued the Deadman a challenge in a Punjabi Prison Match—a first of its kind in WWE—to take place at The Great American Bash. Will the Deadman break his silence and respond to the challenger, or is Undertaker as afraid of the 420-pound giant as Daivari insists?

Friday night on UPN at 8/7 CT is the only place to see this week’s must-see Friday Night SmackDown.

200px-Ecw_logo.png

Fireworks on the 4th of July
By Louie Dee
July 4, 2006

This Tuesday night, ECW on Sci Fi makes its first visit to ECW's old stomping grounds in Philadelphia. ECW will be live from the Wachovia Center in south Philadelphia, and it will be make or break for the current number one ECW Extremist.

In the main event, Rob Van Dam will defend both the ECW and WWE Championships against Edge in an Extreme Rules Match. RVD was able to defeat the Rated-R Superstar on ECW turf at Vengeance, but that doesn't mean it will be a walk in the park for the "Whole Dam Show."

Heading into the match, both champion and challenger shared their thoughts with ECW.com, so you can take a look at what RVD and Edge had to say.

Of course, that won't be the only big bang on Independence Day. In the first few weeks of ECW on Sci Fi, we've seen Sandman dish out his brand of special punishment several times, Sabu showcase his extreme talents, and of course, Kelly's Expose. Just about anything can and will happen on ECW on Sci Fi, so be sure to tune in this Tuesday night at 10/9 CT to catch the fireworks.

Batistia comes back. Weeee.

Nameless

Source: Wrestling-Observer Newsletter, PWTorch.com

– The plan is for CM Punk vignettes to begin airing on ECW television in the coming weeks.

– WWE has scrapped plans to debut David “Gangrel” Heath. He was originally rumored for the new vampire faction, but WWE has lost interest in using him, at least partially because he put on too much weight.

– Shelly Martinez’s gimmick is purely a concession to the Sci-Fi network.

– Vince McMahon is a huge fan of Barbie “Kelly” Blank.

– Kevin Dunn was responsible for requesting WWE move the 7/4 ECW taping to the Wachovia Center from the originally booked ECW Arena. His argument was that the ECW Arena would not allow for strong production values without expensive upgrades and that it would simply be cheaper to run a second show in the Wachovia Center, since the ring would already be set up from the prior night’s Supershow.

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

pilonv1

– WWE has scrapped plans to debut David “Gangrel” Heath. He was originally rumored for the new vampire faction, but WWE has lost interest in using him, at least partially because he put on too much weight.

Well Kevin Fertig (Mordecai) is the current Vampire and they don't really need another tainted WWE guy.

– Vince McMahon is a huge fan of Barbie “Kelly” Blank.

Shocking news :lol

– Kevin Dunn was responsible for requesting WWE move the 7/4 ECW taping to the Wachovia Center from the originally booked ECW Arena. His argument was that the ECW Arena would not allow for strong production values without expensive upgrades and that it would simply be cheaper to run a second show in the Wachovia Center, since the ring would already be set up from the prior night’s Supershow.

They also can't do pyro there, but that's a stupid reason.

Ashodin

200px-Ecw_logo.png

wwe.com said:
Fireworks on the 4th of July
By Louie Dee
July 4, 2006

This Tuesday night, ECW on Sci Fi makes its first visit to ECW's old stomping grounds in Philadelphia. ECW will be live from the Wachovia Center in south Philadelphia, and it will be make or break for the current number one ECW Extremist.

In the main event, Rob Van Dam will defend both the ECW and WWE Championships against Edge in an Extreme Rules Match. RVD was able to defeat the Rated-R Superstar on ECW turf at Vengeance, but that doesn't mean it will be a walk in the park for the "Whole Dam Show."

Heading into the match, both champion and challenger shared their thoughts with ECW.com, so you can take a look at what RVD and Edge had to say.

Of course, that won't be the only big bang on Independence Day. In the first few weeks of ECW on Sci Fi, we've seen Sandman dish out his brand of special punishment several times, Sabu showcase his extreme talents, and of course, Kelly's Expose. Just about anything can and will happen on ECW on Sci Fi, so be sure to tune in this Tuesday night at 10/9 CT to catch the fireworks.

From bloodwake's thread.

If the "vampire" subsection of wrestlers on ECW actually wrestle good, it'll be interesting to see.

xabre

Banned
Dunno if this was mentioned in the other thread or not, but when Cena was the champ and defending his title on RAW I wonder how many times his opponent was on the verge of victory only to have a run cost the other guy a title? I'd say never and yet I watched last week that very thing happen to RVD and I thought, "Great way to put your new champ over, he needs Edge to make the save because he can't beat Cena clean".

In fact both Edge and RVD look like chumps compared to Cena and have consistently shown an inability to get into positions where they can beat him fair and square. As a heal you could let this slide for Edge, but RVD is supposed to be the big player on ECW and what does it say for the new promotion when their biggest star (a face no less) can't beat Cena without outside intervention?

Cena has been built up to comically absurd levels by the bookers; you gotta wonder if we'll see the guy job clean ever again.

Nameless

xabre said:
Dunno if this was mentioned in the other thread or not, but when Cena was the champ and defending his title on RAW I wonder how many times his opponent was on the verge of victory only to have a run cost the other guy a title? I'd say never and yet I watched last week that very thing happen to RVD and I thought, "Great way to put your new champ over, he needs Edge to make the save because he can't beat Cena clean".

In fact both Edge and RVD look like chumps compared to Cena and have consistently shown an inability to get into positions where they can beat him fair and square. As a heal you could let this slide for Edge, but RVD is supposed to be the big player on ECW and what does it say for the new promotion when their biggest star (a face no less) can't beat Cena without outside intervention?

Cena has been built up to comically absurd levels by the bookers; you gotta wonder if we'll see the guy job clean ever again.

I agree 100%. I actually posed the question in the last thread, or the thread before, "When was the last time Cena lost cleanly, or without a huge cloud of controversy?" It took Edge, doing a run-in and Heyman making the count for him to drop the belt to RVD. And it took Edge delivering TWO spears, seconds after Cena won a 'grueling' elimination chamber for him to lose then.

Cena's megapush is a lot more painful than the likes of Brock, Austin, or Rock's because unlike those three, Cena has little concept of in-ring psychology,carrying a match, telling a story in the ring, or selling--so all his matches follow a near indentical formula which ultimately makes Cena look like he is squashing his opponent. Thats my main problem with him. If he had the ability to make other guys look credible and put them over even though he gets the clean win I could swallow it a lot easier.

Look at RVD vs Edge from the PPV..RVD got the clean win, but in the end Edge came out looking more credible, strong, and was put over more than he EVER did after his defeats to Cena.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Nameless said:
Cena's megapush is a lot more painful than the likes of Brock, Austin, or Rock's because unlike those three, Cena has little concept of in-ring psychology,carrying a match, telling a story in the ring, or selling--so all his matches follow a near indentical formula which ultimately makes Cena look like he is squashing his opponent. Thats my main problem with him. If he had the ability to make other guys look credible and put them over even though he gets the clean win I could swallow it a lot easier.

I think a problem in that is the brand split. In the attitude era, you always had two guys fighting over the title, and it exchanging hands frequently (well, not frequently, but no guys ever had a very prolonged run.) With the split, they made it so there would be one huge guy on each brand. Instead of two big fighting fighting over the title, the one big guy justs faces a new guy every PPV and wins.

Uh oh....

Wrestling stars busted in Hanging Rock
By Kirsten Stanley/The Ironton Tribune

Monday, July 3, 2006 10:10 AM CDT

HANGING ROCK — Two wrestling superstars from Extreme Championship Wrestling and World Wrestling Entertainment may be tough in the ring, but they didn’t have enough muscle to escape drug charges after being stopped Sunday night by the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

Robert Alex Szatowski, aka WWE and ECW champion Rob Van Dam, and Terry Michael Brunk, aka Sabu, also a former ECW champion, were pulled over on U.S. 52, near Patrick Street in Hanging Rock at about 10:15 p.m. The two were apparently driving from their performances at the Big Sandy Superstore Arena earlier in the evening.

According to the OSHP, Szatowski was initially stopped for speeding. When troopers approached his vehicle, they smelled marijuana and performed a search. Troopers found the wrestler in possession of 18 grams of marijuana and five Vicodin, prescription pain pills. Brunk was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and also had nine pills that were not immediately identifiable, but were known to be controlled substances, according to the OSHP. Both were cited and posted bond at the scene.

Szatowski, of Battle Creek, Mich., has had a long, successful career with both the WWE and ECW. In addition to being the current champion of both, he has been intercontinental champion six times, hardcore champion four times and has been a part of several championship tag team duos.

He is scheduled to wrestle tonight on WWE Raw and is also wrestling Tuesday night to retain his WWE and ECW titles during the “Extreme Rules Match” on the Sci-Fi channel.

Brunk, who lists his hometown as Bombay, India, on the WWE Web site, has also had a successful career with the ECW, earning world heavyweight championship titles two times and tag team championship honors three times.

Both Brunk and Szatowski are scheduled to appear at 10 a.m. Thursday in Ironton Municipal Court. Both wrestlers won their matches last night in Huntington, W.Va. Van Dam defeated the Big Show and Sabu defeated Justin Credible.

Suspensions ahoy on the way!

bjork

I like how they listed the histories of each wrestler and let us know they won their matches :lol

But ECW am cry. Cena will win both belts, WWE and ECW :\

bjork said:
I like how they listed the histories of each wrestler and let us know they won their matches :lol

But ECW am cry. Cena will win both belts, WWE and ECW :\

.,...that way they can close down ECW after it's 12 week run....

I bet Van Dam's gone. They might have overlooked this shit normally with him, because his drug use is just obvious, but now he's the champ and it'll give them an excuse to **** him up.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I bet Van Dam's gone. They might have overlooked this shit normally with him, because his drug use is just obvious, but now he's the champ and it'll give them an excuse to **** him up.

But on the other side, would you release RVD who's a BIG star in the wrestling world and have TNA pick him up? (Granted I think TNA's higher paced style is a better fit for him)

bjork

Outcast2004 said:
But on the other side, would you release RVD who's a BIG star in the wrestling world and have TNA pick him up? (Granted I think TNA's higher paced style is a better fit for him)

I don't think TNA's bookers would write him any better than WWE had, or if they did, not by much. Maybe he'd go to japan?

bjork said:
I don't think TNA's bookers would write him any better than WWE had, or if they did, not by much. Maybe he'd go to japan?

Hard to say. He does own and run a business here, so that may limit what he could do internationally.

My gripe with RVD is how limited they've made him in the ring. I've seen the guy tear the house down on numerous occasions, but as soon as McMahon got a hold of him he got slowed down and cut back. It's a selfish thing really, to want RVD back at full speed.

bjork

RVD is probably the first guy I really noticed a change in his ringstyle once he hit WWF. I mean, obviously far fewer spots in comparison to ECW, but I remember too when he was under fire for busting Regal's nose and stuff. I guess he had to change it before he killed someone, heh.

Needless to say, it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
RVD probably will get the 60-days off as this is his 'first offense'. I doubt they would fire him as he is a big name. But really a dumb move on his part. As far as his style, he got heat for hurting people and hard to object to that when he did infact hurt people. He just is so sloppy and wild that he wasn't going to have many people to work with if he didn't slow down a bit.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Just looked up the wellness policy -

13. DISCIPLINE FOR VIOLATION OF LAW

Any Talent who is arrested, convicted or who admits to a violation of law relating to use, possession, purchase, sale or distribution of prohibited drugs will be in material breach of contract and subject to immediate dismissal.

RVD and Sabu ****ed up. They weren't just carrying weed, it was a gang of shit. Puts WWE is a tough position. Vince has a tough decision to make today. His double champion getting caught. The titles have to come off of him immediately and he needs to be taken off TV in the least. Which I could be in the meetings going on today.

DMczaf

This is bullshit! If this were the 80s, wrestlers would be snorting coke off the racks of whores in the locker room!

hulk_hogan.jpg

BROTHER!!

Nameless

I'm big fans of both gusy, but ****in IDIOTS. They are FINALLY the biggest push(and pay days) of their careers, in which they've both busted their ass and they potnetially **** it up. I wonder if the fickle WWE creative will take the titles of RVD this tuesday now and put it on Edge, until they have him job to Cena at SNME..

This wouldn't happen if they had a champion that was Drug Free, and alcohol free..but jeee where would they find someone like that??/

Hmmmm.

*edit* Vince should be happy, though. RVD didn't break Kay Fabe!!!!!!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/rvdsabucharges

WWE investigating Rob Van Dam and Sabu charges
By Ed Williams III
July 3, 2006

In the wake of being faced with five violations, including drug possession, by the Ohio State Highway Patrol, WWE.com reports that Rob Van Dam and Sabu arrived at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia at 1:30 p.m. today and immediately went into a meeting with Vice President of Talent Relations John Laurinaitis.

Following the meeting, Mr. Laurinaitis told WWE.com that Rob Van Dam and Sabu will be eligible to compete tonight on RAW and tomorrow night at ECW on Sci Fi while an ongoing investigation is being conducted by World Wrestling Entertainment. The two men will be appearing in court Thursday morning at Ironton Municipal Court.

According to the Ironton Tribune, Rob Van Dam and Sabu were pulled over on U.S. 52, near Patrick Street in Hanging Rock, Ohio at about 10:15 p.m. Sunday night. The two were apparently driving from their performances at the Big Sandy Superstore Arena earlier in the evening.

According to the Ohio State Police, as reported by the Ironton Tribune, Van Dam was initially stopped for speeding. When troopers approached his vehicle, they smelled marijuana and performed a search. Troopers found RVD in possession of 18 grams of marijuana and five Vicodin, prescription pain pills. Sabu was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and also had nine pills that were not immediately identifiable, but were known to be controlled substances, according to the OSHP. Both were cited and posted bond at the scene.

Well they aren't fired, yet.

I guess they'll give the DX storyline top billing on Raw now and feed Sabu to John Cena, making him tap out to the weakest STF ever. Oh wait...

Anyway, Rob was a lame duck champion the moment he won the WWE Title. I'll be surprised if he has either title after Tuesday night, my guess being he'll lose them in the ring instead of them being stripped.

Like Nameless says, I'd expect a suspension for Rob and outright release for Sabu. They're not going to let a champion of two of their brands get snatched up by TNA. They'd probably pay him to stay at home. Sabu they don't know how to use properly anyway.

What now for ECW without RVD and Sabu? It would make sense if Edge won both titles from RVD, since he's been appearing on both shows. Angle would make a better long-term choice for champion since he wouldn't have to appear on two shows every week. I don't think it'll be long until we see an "ECW" feud between Angle and Big Show. Great...

Bloodwake

Well, damn.

My prediction:

Tuesday Edge wins (duh).

It becomes a one on one for both titles at SNME, with Cena winning.

The world cries.

Nameless

We all knew Punk was going to debut, the only questions were when, and how big of a push he would get. The WWE doesn't give just any debuting wrestler vignettes. That, along with the fact that Punk has been winning at the house shows instead of jobbing, leads me to believe he is in for a nice sized push when he does finally debut. I can't think of anyone who the WWE has bothered doing vignettes for NOT get a decent push.

With that said, though, I think there is a chance that th WWE could expedite Punk's debut a bit given recent RVD/Sabu situation. I guess we'll see tommorow night.

Nameless

On WWE.com's "Ross Report," Jim Ross notes that during the "Pick Your Partner" Triple Threat Match tonight, that John Cena and Edge will possibly have future "Hall of Fame" partners tonight, but none of that has been confirmed. Ross also mentions that Rob Van Dam will obviously have an ECW Partner.

Yawwwwn..

Edge-Foley
Cena-Flair
RVD-Funk

Bloodwake

I'm sorry guys, but if RVD loses tomorrow night, I can expect CM Punk coming out at the end and debuting as a HEEL, by insulting RVD for his pot-smoking, and then saying that that was what made him lose the title. (Which wouldn't be far from the truth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom