• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin Discussion: Week of July 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodwake

Outcast2004 said:
Yes, because Rhino had soooo much to do with it. WTF ever, kid.

There's one person responsible for ECW's demise.... Paul Heyman. He had no idea how to handle the money that was coming in. Due to his negligence, the company folded.

Exactly. While TNN did **** them over pretty good, it was still mostly Heyman because he couldn't handle the cash.

If he ever left WWE and started another promotion, I hope he's smart enough to hire someone just to do finances.

i loved that ECW ppv about the rise and fall of ECW, where Paul Heyman blames everyone and their mother for ECW's demise. "WAH VINCE DID THIS! AND THEN TNN DID THAT WAAAH"

ECW was just never ready for the bigtime imo. They had their little 'hardcore' niche but i don't htink the kind of stuff they did was ever going to appeal to the mainstream like WWE or wcw did.

Bloodwake

Ninja Scooter said:
i loved that ECW ppv about the rise and fall of ECW, where Paul Heyman blames everyone and their mother for ECW's demise. "WAH VINCE DID THIS! AND THEN TNN DID THAT WAAAH"

ECW was just never ready for the bigtime imo. They had their little 'hardcore' niche but i don't htink the kind of stuff they did was ever going to appeal to the mainstream like WWE or wcw did.

I think it actually could. Problem is, it definitely won't in its current form of WWECW.

Bloodwake said:
I think it actually could. Problem is, it definitely won't in its current form of WWECW.

Well, the last ECW house show they did in Racine, WI, they announced ECW would be back in October. So it looks like it's here to stay for a while.

Bloodwake

Outcast2004 said:
Well, the last ECW house show they did in Racine, WI, they announced ECW would be back in October. So it looks like it's here to stay for a while.

So guys, I guess we get RAW two nights a week from now on.

Nameless

Tommorow is the moment of truth. If Edge brings back the REAL WWE title its time for a long-run for him. If not, look for him to beat Cena at SNME only to have Cena over-come the odds in a gimmick match(TLC?) at Summerslam.

Christopher

Bloodwake said:

There's nothing wrong with that. Did you read Ninja Scooters post. I agree with him ECW just never really seemed ready for big time...they were just an overexposed backyard wrestling promotion relient on gimmick matches.

I have no problem with ECW becoming sports entertainment if it improves to be a good show. I've been entertained thus far. I just think ECW needs to establish it's self as part of WWE already...your not fooling anyone. Make it the purple brand and get it a better set.

Nameless

dskillzhtown said:
Maybe, but trying to go head to head with WWE wouldn't work. I am not sure if the OP gets that. TNA has it's niche audience right now and alot of the niche audience watches Raw. So you are going to splinter that audience by playing at the same time as Raw is on? Doesn't make much sense to me. Doesn't make sense when TNA doesn't have the traction it needs to do so. I know everyone wants to re-create the Monday Night Wars, but it ain't happening.

So TNA is pulling a .9-1.2 with no competition on at the same time. What do you think that rating will go to when there is competition on? That is a key aspect you are missing. Alot of that 1.2 watches Raw, so in the opening segment, TNA might go from a 1.0 to a .6. Some fans might leave Raw when Viscera/Conway is on, but is it worth a couple of spikes here and there when the overall rating is crap?

Their time slot is REALLY shitty. Besides, now adays thursday night aren't really different from Friday nights as far as their key demographic more likely to be out somewhere, as opposed to being at home. Going 8pm-10pm would would only put them up against Raw for an hour, the 'weak' hour of Raw at that. By virtue of the great time-slot and hype created by the ratings war revival they would easily surpass the 1.0-1.2 that they are doing now.

You gotta take risks. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit on a full fledge move, maybe they should test the waters by putting another TNA Special up agaisnt Raw.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Outcast2004 said:
Yes, because Rhino had soooo much to do with it. WTF ever, kid.

There's one person responsible for ECW's demise.... Paul Heyman. He had no idea how to handle the money that was coming in. Due to his negligence, the company folded.

I love how you love to throw your knowledge around like you are some sort of wrestling fan god. Yes I realize Paul ran them out of business. That doesnt change the fact that ECW was a company full of boring assed scrubs.

Bloodwake

Brian Fellows said:
I love how you love to throw your knowledge around like you are some sort of wrestling fan god. Yes I realize Paul ran them out of business. That doesnt change the fact that ECW was a company full of boring assed scrubs.

Yep, full of boring ass scrubs like, at one time, Rey Mysterio, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, RVD, Steve Austin, Mick Foley.

Bloodwake said:

Funny how much hate ECW is getting just because of fans being bitter on that news with Vinnie Mac taking over the brand. Except maybe for the first show, every ECW shows has been very good so far, and got really surprised by how much content they're putting in under an hour.

The day it'll become WCW Thunder, then I'll have no problem with people complaining about it.

Bloodwake said:
Yep, full of boring ass scrubs like, at one time, Rey Mysterio, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, RVD, Steve Austin, Mick Foley.
No, he's talking about the last two years, when it was all Justin Credible, Rhino, Tommy Dreamer and Jerry Lynn. Heyman didn't bring in any exciting new guys like he was known for doing, and we were stuck with boring shit Justin Credible championship matches for like a year. I stopped caring, and everyone else did too.
The Main Event said:
Except maybe for the first show, every ECW shows has been very good so far, and got really surprised by how much content they're putting in under an hour.
You can't be serious about the show we just saw last week. Mike Knox and Test winning squash matches and Big Show winning the belt. All of the matches slow-paced and boring as shit. The two shows before that were fantastic, though.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You can't be serious about the show we just saw last week. Mike Knox and Test winning squash matches and Big Show winning the belt. All of the matches slow-paced and boring as shit. The two shows before that were fantastic, though.

Didn't watch the whole thing yet. Since there's no network that carries it in Canada, I have to download it :/

The Main Event said:
Didn't watch the whole thing yet. Since there's no network that carries it in Canada, I have to download it :/
You'll understand immediately why everyone turned on ECW so quick after loving it for the two weeks before. It was easily one of the worst wrestling shows ever put on TV.

Bloodwake said:

Psicosis, RVD, Sabu, Sandman, Dreamer, Raven, Tazz, Scorpio, Dudleyz, CHRIS ****ING JERICHO, Dusty Rhodes, Jimmy Snuka and on and on and on.

Brian Fellows said:

Look Brian, if I recall correctly you were the one insinuating that it was the talent's fault that the company went under. That's not the case at all, and you damn well know it.

If it weren't for Paul's ignorance with money that company would STILL be open and still be pulling in a respectable number of fans. They had a REALLY strong foothold on the Northeastern region of the U.S... and yet somehow managed to go national. Wrap your brain around that for a second. They obviously had to have been doing SOMETHING right to get that type of notice. Even after the talent raid they still had good gates....

If it weren't for ECW being around when they were, Vince would have kept WWF (at the time) in the sterotypical gimmick-ridden 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom