• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 32 |OT| OHHH! Written in the Stars! A Million Miles Awaaaaaay........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

As I said earlier, people keep showing up to watch. WWE shows complete contempt for this generation of "smarks" and I don't blame them at all. They'll keep shoving the product down people's throats as long as the people keep buying it. They'll boo and moan but they buy it!
Are "smarks" even a minority any more? Every person on the planet has access to the internet. Aren't smarks just "the fans"?!

Are "smarks" even a minority any more? Every person on the planet has access to the internet. Aren't smarks just "the fans"?!

Sorta why I put quotations around the word. I'm sure they feel like their smart by not cheering on the overly pushed face but how smart are they really? I keep asking this question every time shit goes as one would expect, why are people showing up just to boo? How many times does the company have to over push another boring meathead and have young talent put over dudes in their late 40's before people stop showing up and acting surprised?

Alucard

Banned
Started listening to the LAW. LOL! Agnew started the show with HHH and Roman still in the ring having their match. He's complaining about runtime and just talking by himself. Started at 1135pm eastern last night. Good stuff.

MC Safety

Something about this decision in particular just seem so counter productive. What can you possibly do to Y2J moving forward? It's Y2J.

So Chris Jericho should lose every match he has from now on? What kind of sense does that make?

It's just one match. It hasn't ruined anyone's career. The guy you like will continue to wrestle and feature in storylines, and the guy you don't like will continue to wrestle and feature in storylines.

kiguel182

Embarrassing show and terrible Mania.

Not only did the outcomes of most matches made no sense but the matches themselves were bad. Best match of the night was the women's Triple Threat but Charlotte winning kinda killed it for me.

And Ryder as champion is just hilariously bad.

Again a bunch of old folk beating new guys.

People keep poping for the legends for some reason but every time some of these guys come out I just face palm.

Whatever, it was bad. Roman winning to a chorus of boos just capped this terrible show in the worst way.

Chopper

Sorta why I put quotations around the word. I'm sure they feel like their smart by not cheering on the overly pushed face but how smart are they really? I keep asking this question every time shit goes as one would expect, why are people showing up just to boo? How many times does the company have to over push another boring meathead and have young talent put over dudes in their late 40's before people stop showing up and acting surprised?
Fans are fans, smart or not. I don't think there is much differentiation nowadays. Like I said, it's not like there is an exclusive club of people who have an exclusive insight into the business any more. Any kid with a Twitter account knows as much as the next guy.

The fans just want to be entertained. They (I) want to be surprised and elated. I want to to cheer and boo and laugh and cry and applaud. I want fun.

I do not want to be repeatedly forcefed uninteresting characters, or pointless storylines, or corporate gubbins. I want to see the incredible talent pool that is the WWE roster to be celebrated and encouraged to be as good as they can be.

Basically I want about 20% of last night's 5-hour long show.

That makes me smart. But not in the IWC sense.

What difference does it make if the guy you liked lost?

Why do people imagine one loss is going to ruin a guy's career?

AJ Styles will have a nice, long career in WWE.

Not to be a devil's advocate, but a lot of guys' careers hit a pit-stop after a loss to Cena.

I know Jericho isn't cena but some people did lose momentum after one loss.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Holy shit. Mania was 6 hours and 48 minutes this year.

This was the real problem for me. Way, way too long. I went to bed as HHH was walking down the ramp.

Shadybiz

Didn't catch the whole thing, but that main event was just...ugh.
I do feel bad for Roman, though. It's a shame that Vince and crew ruined it by pushing him too hard, because I do see some potential there, but it was too much, too soon. Roman must have quite a thick skin; he can't do anything without being showered in boos. I'd probably be in therapy for it, asking "why do they hate me...why do they hate me??"

Also..stay classy, fans. I couldn't help but notice that when Steph was ringside, in her
sexy as hell
outfit, at one point, the camera was pointed towards the floor, and you could see a couple of $1 bills laying there. I can only assume that one or a couple of fans were throwing them at her. Very very classy.

EDIT: Ah Christ..didn't see the Shane match; that explains it. Thanks for explaining, lol.

Alucard

Banned
I do feel bad for Roman, though. It's a shame that Vince and crew ruined it by pushing him too hard, because I do see some potential there, but it was too much, too soon. Roman must have quite a thick skin; he can't do anything without being showered in boos. I'd probably be in therapy for it, asking "why do they hate me...why do they hate me??"

Also..stay classy, fans. I couldn't help but notice that when Steph was ringside, in her
sexy as hell
outfit, at one point, the camera was pointed towards the floor, and you could see a couple of $1 bills laying there. I can only assume that one or a couple of fans were throwing them at her. Very very classy.

Could also have been Shane dollars.

sexy as hell

Or they were just left over from the Shane O'Mac entrance...

Real filthy mind you've got there, Shady.

Hex

Banned
New Day I can understand taking the pin, they got a moment after and they are still champs and they are the new day.
Jericho going over is asinine, why keep AJ tied to fucking has been career cooler Jericho?
Zack? Whatever. He is a bad joke, hopefully someone murders him for the title within the next week or two.
The women's belt, man Flair putting that extra work in back stage keeping his daughter on top. It is fucking stupid. She does not deserve to have won and be the first with the new belt.
Ambrose and Brock needed more time and more chaos.
Shane losing.....clean.....what the fuck was the point?
And fuck you WWE, you can at least have the balls to let the people who paid for tickets have their voice

Edit: Ah yes thank you Hasney.... the Wyatts....you couldn't let them get a good three on one beat down? Really?

Hasney

Thinking about it, after AJ all I remember is Shane killing himself, Wyatt's showing up for no reason, chanting for New Day and Roman holding the belt.

Hex

Banned

sexy as hell

They were from the Shane entrance you twat.
Do you realize how really just dumb what you typed sounds?
There were bills from his and confetti from Sasha's entrance all over. HHH even had Sasha confetti on his face during the match

Kuroyume

Banned
sexy as hell

tumblr_o0z5u9AgJE1ukes1io1_500.gif

O K ... Let's just ignore that Shane showered the stadium with his fake dollar bills prior to his match.

Kaiterra

Banned
I don't get how people who are happy with the Reigns stuff can constantly chide other fans for being upset when the guys they like don't win, when the only friggin' reason to fully enjoy what's been done with Roman is either because it's the guy you like, winning all the time. Or I guess because you hate the audience. Just admit you're partisan instead of trying to pretend like it makes you a better fan. That's some snobby horseshit. The whole point is to just get behind who you like anyway.

Chopper

I don't get how people who are happy with the Reigns stuff can constantly chide other fans for being upset when the guys they like don't win, when the only friggin' reason to fully enjoy what's been done with Roman is either because it's the guy you like, winning all the time. Or I guess because you hate the audience. Just admit you're partisan instead of trying to pretend like it makes you a better fan. That's some snobby horseshit. The whole point is to just get behind who you like anyway.
Agreed. And WWE muting 100,000 people at Wrestle-fucking-mania is outrageous.

So Chris Jericho should lose every match he has from now on? What kind of sense does that make?

It's just one match. It hasn't ruined anyone's career. The guy you like will continue to wrestle and feature in storylines, and the guy you don't like will continue to wrestle and feature in storylines.

Jericho should just retire. Whilst it's hard to ever state a feud has ruined a career there's no denying that being stuck in a 50/50 feud has really hurt AJ's debut, which is arguable extremely important when a guy comes in at AJ's age.

I think outside of the match quality the real issue of the show was that nothing unexpected happened and there were no satisfying conclusions to anything despite the fact that they had 5 hours.

Compare it to an hour of Aztec Warfare and it's flat out embarrassing. In that show you got little moments of wrestlers getting one ups on their opponents for the first time like Big Mac stunning Marty on the outside or Taya going over Cage. Then they set up some huge twists to set up the rest of the season with the unexpected spots of Pentagon beating the shit out of Muertes to take him out of the match he was destined to win and then Matanza showing up to utterly destroy the entire roster.

WM just did nothing. I don't know if it's because they're too reliant on the RAW after mania to set up where things are going to go, but if that's the case then they should be shooting to give every match on the card a satisfying finish.

bryehn

I am hungover as fuck and need to express that the last match was fucking garbage.Reigns is awful. Great show otherwise though, really fun.

PaulLFC

WWE's "cover up the boos at all costs" attitude meant that the Network feed showed Reigns with the title to a backdrop of near total silence, and that silence was how they ended their biggest show of the year where they'd been constantly claiming a crowd of 100,000+. It sounded ridiculous, and all because they refuse to do the obvious thing and turn Reigns heel.

D6AMIA6N

Despite not following wrestling, I had a good time watching Wrestlemania. The network stream was choppy, but still overall enjoyable. Best matches for me were, Women's, then ladder match, then HIAC. The rest was fine, just not very exciting.

Reddaye

Banned
So, I don't generally post in the wrestling discussions here. I haven't seriously followed WWE in years, and this particular card shows why. Clearly the product they put onto their main show isn't for me, so I choose to direct my attention and money towards things that align more with my interest. Of course, this is Wrestlemania, and as a fan of pro wrestling I naturally pay some attention to things around this time of year. So maybe I have no right to say this, but I will anyway...

People who are legitimately displeased with the direction of the product, whether they be Neogaf users, Rajah users, Reddit users, EWB users, or whoever else. People who are unhappy and want to see a change, just do this: look away. Stop paying attention. Sandow made a tweet a little while ago that said, "If you're unhappy then show up to RAW and tell them you're unhappy." No, this is the exact opposite of what people who are really, TRULY unhappy with the product should be doing. They shouldn't be showing up at all. Why would WWE change anything when people are paying money to see the shows, following them on Twitter, liking them on Facebook, subscribing to their Network?

Contrary to popular opinion, Vince McMahon isn't the end all, be all of the company. The shareholders are. Do you think they give two shits about the crowd booing Roman Reigns when the company they hold stock for just drew a nearly 100,000 person crowd that cost hundreds (and thousands) of dollars to get into? Do people think these shareholders are going to start selling off stock in mass because those people who just got done increasing the value of their stock are booing the main event? Of course not. These same fans will show up again next year. They'll show up at RAW, and keep lining the company's pockets. Then everyone will get angry when people say they're just showing up to take over the show. Why be angry when it's a 100% accurate statement? If they're paying this company they supposedly hate very good money to show up and chant, that's exactly what they're there for.

That aside, Reigns winning was totally the right move. The way they've built him clearly isn't working, but from a narrative perspective, him winning was one of the more sensible decisions.

Also note, this post isn't me pointing fingers at Neogaf, or anyone in this thread specifically. It's more a broad stroke at the hardcore wrestling (or WWE) community in general. If you enjoy the product, that's awesome. Spend your money on the things you enjoy. If you hate the product, that's awesome. Spend your money on things you enjoy.

Just my two cents.

Hex

Banned

Jericho will never have another run. He is a gatekeeper.
He will never hold another belt, he is there to get talent over.
No he should get wins here and there and he has wins over Styles but this was one he should not have won.
Because it means that Styles is anchored to Jericho for even longer.
Also Jericho has had Mania wins, he did not need this.

Son Of D

Quick summary of my thoughts, I'll give more details later.

US title - Kalisto surprised me. Was expecting this to be a squash match.
Women's Tag - Did Lana actually get tagged in? I didn't really pay attention to this match.
Tag match - Went as expected, even down to Uce being booed.

Ladder - Fun match. Ryder winning was surreal as fuck.
Y2AJ - Honestly surprised that Jericho won it. I hope this feud ends soon.
4v3 - I expected LoN would win but I didn't expect the legends coming out. That Rusev sell.
Street Fight - What the fuck was that? Talk about a major disappointment.
Women's Title - Best match. Was hoping for Sasha but I'm not against Charlotte winning. Wish the finish was better.
Hell in a Cell - The match I expected all the run-ins and we got nothing. Not even Vince. Also holy shit Shane.
ARMBAR - Shaq seemed pointless. Also yay Corbin. I'm not sarcastic here, I'm happy he won it.
The Rock - RIP Rowan. Also Jesus this went on for too long.
WWEWHC - I tried to care but was close to falling asleep. HHH entrance was crazy but at the same time seemed tame for a Mania main event.

Overall - Not as bad as 27 but still quite dire. The OT name was foreshadowing the quality.

Ever since I started watching WWE again (mid 2013) each Mania has been progressively worse. I fear for next year.

Aiii

So not worth it
Contrary to popular opinion, Vince McMahon isn't the end all, be all of the company. The shareholders are.

Yeah, except the shares are structured so that the McMahon family has a different kind of share that gives them the deciding vote in all matters. The other shareholders will never be able to outvote them.

Hex

Banned
So, I don't generally post in the wrestling discussions here. I haven't seriously followed WWE in years, and this particular card shows why. Clearly the product they put onto their main show isn't for me, so I choose to direct my attention and money towards things that align more with my interest. Of course, this is Wrestlemania, and as a fan of pro wrestling I naturally pay some attention to things around this time of year. So maybe I have no right to say this, but I will anyway...

People who are legitimately displeased with the direction of the product, whether they be Neogaf users, Rajah users, Reddit users, EWB users, or whoever else. People who are unhappy and want to see a change, just do this: look away. Stop paying attention. Sandow made a tweet a little while ago that said, "If you're unhappy then show up to RAW and tell them you're unhappy." No, this is the exact opposite of what people who are really, TRULY unhappy with the product should be doing. They shouldn't be showing up at all. Why would WWE change anything when people are paying money to see the shows, following them on Twitter, liking them on Facebook, subscribing to their Network?

Contrary to popular opinion, Vince McMahon isn't the end all, be all of the company. The shareholders are. Do you think they give two shits about the crowd booing Roman Reigns when the company they hold stock for just drew a nearly 100,000 person crowd that cost hundreds (and thousands) of dollars to get into? Do people think these shareholders are going to start selling off stock in mass because those people who just got done increasing the value of their stock are booing the main event? Of course not. These same fans will show up again next year. They'll show up at RAW, and keep lining the company's pockets. Then everyone will get angry when people say they're just showing up to take over the show. Why be angry when it's a 100% accurate statement? If they're paying this company they supposedly hate very good money to show up and chant, that's exactly what they're there for.

That aside, Reigns winning was totally the right move. The way they've built him clearly isn't working, but from a narrative perspective, him winning was one of the more sensible decisions.

Also note, this post isn't me pointing fingers at Neogaf, or anyone in this thread specifically. It's more a broad stroke at the hardcore wrestling (or WWE) community in general. If you enjoy the product, that's awesome. Spend your money on the things you enjoy. If you hate the product, that's awesome. Spend your money on things you enjoy.

Just my two cents.

Roman winning was far from totally the right move, it shows blatantly that they do not listen to their fans.
They failed with him, they should have accepted that and let him go back in the oven for a while until he comes out ready.
Instead they forced him.
They forced him so bad that they have to literally mute the fans on a live broadcast because they are ashamed and do not want to accept the fans response to their decision.

Reddaye

Banned
Yeah, except the shares are structured so that the McMahon family has a different kind of share that gives them the deciding vote in all matters. The other shareholders will never be able to outvote them.

The shareholders who aren't McMahons can start selling off their stock. I'm not talking about shareholders taking control of the company. I'm talking about revenues diving, and people pitching their stock. That's whats going to speak to WWE. If the stock is valued high, then they're doing their job and keeping their shareholder's stocks at a high value.

Everything now-a-days is about keeping their shareholders happy. The company is literally designed to make the shareholders (McMahons and non-McMahons) money.

EDIT: Hex, Roman winning was the right move. The issue is they should have turned him. Crowds want to see a heel Roman. Crowds will pay to see a heel Roman as champion. They're already paying to see him as a face champion in the hopes he'll turn, or get his ass kicked.

Triple H retaining the title makes about as much sense as Roman being falsely portrayed as the good guy everyone needs to love. I'm willing to bet if Roman had turned, everyone would be a lot more satisfied.

I understand Roman winning in a storyline sense and for me it's OK. He overcame the odds and finally won the big one (even though he'd already won it last year) so give him that happy moment. The thing is Roman winning as a FACE. If they would've gone with the heel turn then and there people wouldn't have been so mad because it would've made perfect sense to start the new "season" with a heel Roman and have some fresh feuds waiting for him (Ambrose, Styles, Lesnar, Cena and eventually a returning face Rollins which should headline next year's Wrestlemania). But instead they decided to let him win as a face which sent everyone home pissed off and worst of all the piping of cheers was not very well done.

I was just watching the snapchat story about Wrestlemania and the boos when Roman won were deafening. Hopefully tonight they address the issue and make the decision to turn him heel for the good of the product.

The Womens Championship match was the best. Becky carried it and it's a shame she didn't get the belt. Sasha seemed very nervous. She had some ugly botches and I am a big fan of her. Charlotte was impressive too.

I'd hate to see Becky get pushed aside for Sasha vs Charlotte but it might happen. The saving grace is for Bayley to come to RAW and make things really interesting.

Hex

Banned
The shareholders who aren't McMahons can start selling off their stock. I'm not talking about shareholders taking control of the company. I'm talking about revenues diving, and people pitching their stock. That's whats going to speak to WWE. If the stock is valued high, then they're doing their job and keeping their shareholder's stocks at a high value.

Everything now-a-days is about keeping their shareholders happy. The company is literally designed to make the shareholders (McMahons and non-McMahons) money.

EDIT: Hex, Roman winning was the right move. The issue is they should have turned him. Crowds want to see a heel Roman. Crowds will pay to see a heel Roman as champion. They're already paying to see him as a face champion in the hopes he'll turn, or get his ass kicked.

Triple H retaining the title makes about as much sense as Roman being falsely portrayed as the good guy everyone needs to love. I'm willing to bet if Roman had turned, everyone would be a lot more satisfied.

I do not think people want heel Roman, they just do not want him right now.
Heel will not change that, look at Eva Marie.
This is not some shit like Charlotte where she is shitty on the mic and has a carte blanche heel gimmick pre-written for her.
People genuinely do not want Roman in a top position right now, heel or face.
They only difference is that as a heel the WWE crack writing team will be able to pretend that those boos are a sign of success.

Reddaye

Banned
This is not some shit like Charlotte where she is shitty on the mic and has a carte blanche heel gimmick pre-written for her.
They only difference is that as a heel the WWE crack writing team will be able to pretend that those boos are a sign of success.

I disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Chopper

A heel Roman will guarantee enthusiastic face reactions for whoever he feuds with over the title. That just makes sense.

Heading into the "new season" it'd be much more interesting having a face chase the belt. I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't turn tonight.

I want a heel Roman, the guy is not talentless like Eva, that's a dumb comparison.

He barely even wrestles a match though and his promos are the dirt worst.

He's still doing the same match layout he did in The Shield but now he's a singles guy it feels lacking.

He would be just as stale as a heel. It's not like he knows how to build match heat.

MC Safety

Not to be a devil's advocate, but a lot of guys' careers hit a pit-stop after a loss to Cena.

I know Jericho isn't cena but some people did lose momentum after one loss.

Your career as a wrestler hits a pit stop when you're not working anymore.

Of all the ridiculous beliefs wrestling fans have, one of the absolute most brain dead is that John Cena "berries" other guys and ruins their careers.

Jericho will never have another run. He is a gatekeeper.
He will never hold another belt, he is there to get talent over.
No he should get wins here and there and he has wins over Styles but this was one he should not have won.
Because it means that Styles is anchored to Jericho for even longer.
Also Jericho has had Mania wins, he did not need this.

Boo hoo.

dan2026

The fuck was all that shit with the Rock.

Was he just stalling for time while Stephanie was getting her costume on?

Seriously what was that SHIT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom