• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 32 |OT| OHHH! Written in the Stars! A Million Miles Awaaaaaay........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Roman actually get a big pop when he won the match like on TV?

Also was the crowd actually that silent while he was celebrating his win or did he get booed like crazy? Because on TV everything became whisper quiet as soon as the match ended even though Roman was getting booed like crazy throughout the whole match.
They muted the crowd when he won. Like just before they cut the broadcast they brought the crowd up a bit and it was all boos

The overwhelming screams of joy just before the crowd was muted might've just been pumped in

They muted the crowd when he won. Like just before they cut the broadcast they brought the crowd up a bit and it was all boos

The overwhelming screams of joy just before the crowd was muted might've just been pumped in

That's my guess as well that they muted the crowd just like they did back in Fast Lane when he won. I just wanted to hear the perspective from someone who was actually at the arena when the ending happened because this is some shady BS WWE is pulling to make Roman look like he is over when it's clear he's not.

Kusagari

The audio was so muted it was hard to tell what happened. People did seem to be standing up with their hands in their air, like they were celebrating, after he won.

kiguel182

In a night full of bad decisions I have to say that I'm still not over Zack Ryder winning. Who suggested that? Why? WHY?

Also, regarding Ambrose vs Lesnar, they really had the opportunity to make a really good match story wise but it was a nothing match. I'm not the biggest fan of Ambrose but the way they built the match and the match itself made no sense.

Man, what a bad show.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I had fun watching the event because I got super drunk.

Women's match was the best one.
Disappointed by the styles match... Lots of missed spots for two good wrestlers and the finish had me meh.

I don't have g problem with the end of the women's match. Flair holding Sasha out doesn't take away from Charlotte's special move or make it cheap... Heels have always won off of shit like that. Flair, remembered as one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, probably won a majority of his matches by something cheap like that. And in the end it's not even that cheap... He's preventing one wrestler from breaking a hold, not hitting someone with the belt or making a cheap shot. Charlotte still made Becky tap out, so I don't think it takes away.

This is how I take it. I prefer Sasha or Becky, but I think Charlotte is a pretty good heel champion, and it works well from a storytelling point of view too. Keep the rivalry going, though they need to build up a couple more women since the quality seems to be a drop off after those 3.

I'm going to copy/paste my thesis I posted on FB that sums up my overall thoughts.

For me, it isn't so much salt as much as I really don't feel they're doing a good job with storytelling as a whole.

Shane losing means The Authority is still in place. Reigns capturing the title while The Authority is still in place means we very likely get more retread of that story line with The Authority trotting out someone to take the title back from Reigns. Is this interesting? The Authority are a good heel group, but they run the top of the roster consistently and have been for what? Almost three years? It's tired.

Styles and Jericho are 2-2 now. I guess that means another match to figure it out? Their matches are pretty good, mind you, but if your point is to establish Styles as the real deal, wouldn't putting him over at Mania have accomplished that? Aren't there better opponents for him on the roster?

The Wyatts, who had (maybe still have) the potential to be huge, have become little more than a punching bag that get trotted out to get their entire family destroyed by a person or two. You have Bray on a podcast earlier in the week essentially saying they need to completely reboot his character.

I'm fine with Charlotte having kept the title, but there is something to be said about Flair being the cause. I could have done with her going over without that, but I do see the story in Sasha getting a rematch with Flair getting banned from ringside due to interference here. So here I see something.

Reigns, in particular, is an odd case where the boos aren't so much directed at him, and more directed at the idea of him. They are so focused on him being the next big face, that they don't just play into the fans hands to get him over like they did The Rock way back when. You can hear when they mute the crowd mics. It's pretty pathetic. https://streamable.com/t6kc

Ambrose and Brock was probably the worst match of the night. 11 minutes of Ambrose doing not much to prove that he was indestructible. If you're going to have his character say he can take a beating, give the man a beating before the pin. I get that you want to keep Brock as the beast, but when a nut shot is what levels the playing field, it just feels weird in a ring that ended full of chairs and kendo sticks by a single F5 on chairs. Probably my biggest disappointment as far as in-ring action and storytelling went.

For the most part, I think the in-ring product has improved greatly over the past few months as a whole, but the surrounding stuff has been not-great to bad. They need interesting story lines to keep people interested, and the ratings dips I feel show that. You don't always have to give the fans what they want. However, the fans should at least understand where things might be going. Coming out of Wrestlemania confused is much worse than coming out angry at heels I should be angry at, happy at some of the faces I wanted to win winning, and with some idea of where they might take things. I get that injuries really screwed up a lot of their plans, but I feel they could have done better.

One thing that struck me this morning was this. One of the largest pops of the night was when they trotted out HBK, Mick Foley, and SCSA. Who on the roster for the past 10 years is going to get that kind of trotting out pop 10 years from now? Apart from Cena, I'm hard pressed to point at anyone else. Maybe Orton? I feel they've done a poor job of character development for most when I look at it this way, though. Are their some on the roster now that could become that? Certainly. But creative is doing little to prove to me that they still understand how to do it.

Rusev is so good. He really needs to be in the upper mid-card at least.

He was, then Cena happened
RusevTank_zps8ujvx5gz.gif

Kusagari

We could've had Snoop Dogg restraining Ric Flair to keep him from interfering. Why didn't this happen?

It's the main reason I have a problem with the finish. Snoop clotheslining Ric so Sasha could win is THE perfect finish considering he came out supporting her.

Mahonay

Banned
We could've had Snoop Dogg restraining Ric Flair to keep him from interfering. Why didn't this happen?
Yep. This seems like a no brainer. Sasha has Snoop to stop Ric from doing the same shit he does every single week. Instead they just let Ric interfere again with no repercussions for another win.
Speaking of, loved that Sasha entrance. Not just Snoop, but that fucking pop when she walked out.
Watched that entrance twice, amazing both times.

This Wrestlemania was bad. It's not good or decent, it's bad.

Aj vs Y2J was underwhelming to the point where AJ's debut match is better than the shit show we got.

Poor Man's Nation of Domination Vs The New Day. Why wasn't this a title match? Why did Austin, Mick Foley and Shawn Micheal come out? Why do they keep screwing over Wade Barrett?

Shane Vs Taker. This was a nothing match other than showcasing how suicidal Shane is.

Ambrose Vs Brock. This was just a DQ match. Why do people like this version of Brock? This is WWE recycling the early days of the Ruthless Aggression Era with Paul Hayman and Brock Lesnar wrecking havoc but with Brock knowing less move than Cena.

Triple H Vs Reign. Nothing exciting. When Vince announced that Roman will be in the Royal Rumble, I knew it was going to go down hill from there. You had people cheering for him after winning the belt for the 2nd time, now you have everyone booing him out of the stadium.

I'm not going to mention the others because I was starting to tune out.

The only matches that stood out was the Ladder match and Triple Threat match for the Woman's Championship.

Mahonay

Banned
The audio was so muted it was hard to tell what happened. People did seem to be standing up with their hands in their air, like they were celebrating, after he won.
On TV it looked like a mix of people celebrating with their hands in the air and people making thumbs down signs.

Worst WM in years, but honestly I can't blame the WWE with injures to Cena, Rollins, Orton, Sting, Cesaro, Wyatt....

they pretty much did the best they could with what they had left

Because Snoop Dogg has the frame of a spgaghetti noodle, even against an old Flair that would be unbelievable :p

it's pro wrestling, that wouldn't have been a top 1000 unbelievable moment

Trojan X

Banned
2-2 series. Another match to come.

Jericho communicated that AJ Style is not on his level and their rivalry is done. Let's see if RAW addresses this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-UYnH8x7G4

And this video upsets me because Ric Flair interfered with the match. The match could have been stellar but he literally killed it. Charlotte would have had massive credibility boast if she won clean but that opportunity is gone now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jz1FYbVIOo

Pavaloo

it seemed like roman had a good chunk of people on his side after he gave stephanie her comeuppance

edit: personally, i feel like she doesn't need to be physically hit for her to get got as i feel it regularly happens to her in promos, but what i meant was that after that initial pop the momentum carried over into the finish.

Pizoxuat

From our seats, what we heard after Reigns won was an initial pop for the title changing hands, which quickly got drowned in a sea of boos. As he celebrated and held the title of was 100% boos, any cheering got completely swallowed up.

Spearing Steph got a mixed reaction. Closest Reigns got to getting the crowd on his side and it was still 50/50.

Mahonay

Banned
From our seats, what we heard after Reigns won was an initial pop for the title changing hands, which quickly got drowned in a sea of boos. As he celebrated and held the title of was 100% boos, any cheering got completely swallowed up.

Spearing Steph got a mixed reaction. Closest Reigns got to getting the crowd on his side and it was still 50/50.
On TV during his post match celebration it was all his theme music and the commentators, while the crowd seemed to be almost completely muted.

BajiBoxer

Banned
In a night full of bad decisions I have to say that I'm still not over Zack Ryder winning. Who suggested that? Why? WHY?

Also, regarding Ambrose vs Lesnar, they really had the opportunity to make a really good match story wise but it was a nothing match. I'm not the biggest fan of Ambrose but the way they built the match and the match itself made no sense.

Man, what a bad show.
I like Zach Ryder, but I'm a little disappointed they didn't go anywhere with the Hype Bros tag team gimmick with Mojo. I thought it had potential. Zach Ryder is decent on the mic and a good wrestler, but storytelling wise I have no clue where this is going. It's a move that I would find more intriguing if I had more confidence in the company's ability to build a storyline around that belt.

And I agree 100% with Ambrose and Lesnar. The whole thing was just a big tease. I don't know why it was so limited, but a streetfight was probably the only way in hell you could put together a Lesnar vs. Ambrose fight and make Ambrose come out looking strong. Instead, they fucked that up making it a pretty conventional in ring battle for the most part. It's just such a problem with Brock Lesnar with suspension of disbelief. In reality, you know he'd murder anyone on the roster, and unfortunately that's exactly how WWE booked him. The match creativity generally hasn't been there to make a one on one match particularly interesting.

Kaladin

On TV during his post match celebration it was all his theme music and the commentators, while the crowd seemed to be almost completely muted.

Even it was muted, their physical reactions were muted as well. There was no dancing or cheering or anything of that nature....hands were sat on.

Pizoxuat

Crazy. The entire match the crowd was booing Roman offense. There was one half-hearted Lets Go Roman chant, but that was it for Roman positivity.

Ramsiege

My wife, who never watches wrestling at all, watched some of Wrestlemania with me. She was really into the Woman's Championship match until Flair interfered and completely took her out of it. That was really poor booking and that match was great up to that point. Didn't need it at all.

Glad Ryder won and if anyone else watches Superstars or Main Event (lol), you can see that he's definitely been putting on some good matches on there. To me he just comes off as that good, goofy friend you had in high school who always dreamed he was going to make it to Wrestlemania one day. Hopefully they don't put him in another feud with Cena over Eve Emma.

Mahonay

Banned
Even it was muted, their physical reactions were muted as well. There was no dancing or cheering or anything of that nature....hands were sat on.
Yep. People got out of their seats when he got the initial pin, but then the crowd stopped doing much of anything while Reigns had his post match celebration.

gnexus

Can't say I'm surprised at the results of all the matches and lack of any real story-line surprises or turns, considering WM was free for a lot of people.

Saiyan New Day was the highlight for the evening. Styles losing to Jericho was the biggest bummer for me.
Remember when Jericho jobbed to Fandango at Wrestlemania?

Oh, and old, retired HBK comes back to show what a real superkick looks like. Eat it, Ziggler/Owens/Rusev

Mahonay

Banned
Crazy. The entire match the crowd was booing Roman offense. There was one half-hearted Lets Go Roman chant, but that was it for Roman positivity.
Oh they couldn't mute those that's for sure, the boos were insane anytime Reigns did any kind of offense in the match.

Hasney

it seemed like roman had a good chunk of people on his side after he gave stephanie her comeuppance

edit: personally, i feel like she doesn't need to be physically hit for her to get got as i feel it regularly happens to her in promos, but what i meant was that after that initial pop the momentum carried over into the finish.

Oh totally. They were even singing Ole for him!

To be fair, that spot did it's job, but they clearly needed more than that. Like, I dunno, a good match. Honestly believe that a good damn wrestling match would have turned a lot more people.

Trojan X

Banned

Hehe. This is a very nice pic. Glad Finn is happy to be re-united with the NJPW crew.

Damn. Ibushi-san at NXT Takeover Dallas got me fired up and Bobby Roode made my head explode. Ibushi-san is a sick head! Definitely one of the best cruiserweights in the world. Heh, he is so good he even made a fight with a doll believable with his endless Canadian Destroyers and then some:

endless-canadian-destroyer-o.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC4Q3LjFH1g

Trust me, you all MUST watch that video if you haven't seen it already. Ibushi-san is frigging insane and a solid great wrestler. Neville, Finn Balor, and others loved fighting him.

kiguel182

I like Zach Ryder, but I'm a little disappointed they didn't go anywhere with the Hype Bros tag team gimmick with Mojo. I thought it had potential. Zach Ryder is decent on the mic and a good wrestler, but storytelling wise I have no clue where this is going. It's a move that I would find more intriguing if I had more confidence in the company's ability to build a storyline around that belt.

And I agree 100% with Ambrose and Lesnar. The whole thing was just a big tease. I don't know why it was so limited, but a streetfight was probably the only way in hell you could put together a Lesnar vs. Ambrose fight and make Ambrose come out looking strong. Instead, they fucked that up making it a pretty conventional in ring battle for the most part. It's just such a problem with Brock Lesnar with suspension of disbelief. In reality, you know he'd murder anyone on the roster, and unfortunately that's exactly how WWE booked him. The match creativity generally hasn't been there to make a one on one match particularly interesting.

I'm not a Ryder fan so I'm always biased there but the win came out of nowhere. He is barely on Raw and now wins the IC Title? It made no sense to me. Especially when you have Owens and Sami there with all their history in play.

They could've pulled something great but having Lesnar destroying Ambrose for such a short amount of time was not what they were hinting at. Ambrose was supposed to be resistant instead he went down with just one F5. Honestly, I don't get it.

AV Club Review

http://www.avclub.com/review/wwe-wrestlemania-xxxii-234727

If there’s a single takeaway from Wrestlemania 32—other than that New Day should always emerge from a box of Booty Os and that Steph is a God—it’s that WWE is struggling to make a lot of their feuds feel meaningful because they aren’t embracing their younger talent. Ever since Rollins went down it seems like the company has been flailing, trying to find something to hold on to. The problem is that they weren’t prepared for so many injuries. They hadn’t built up their midcard talent to take over, and it showed from the Royal Rumble onwards. Even when they did stumble upon someone to take over one of the top spots, they dropped the ball. For instance, Dean Ambrose loses to Brock Lesnar in a rather disappointing match, and New Day get stuck in a match that doesn’t mean a goddamn thing because the titles aren’t even on the line. This is WWE’s biggest show of the year, and two of its biggest stars (Ambrose and New Day), who have organically risen to the top by being themselves, are in matches where nothing is accomplished. Lesnar wins once again, and New Day ends up taking a back seat to the nostalgia train, as Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, and Stone Cold Steve Austin come out for a little post-match fun. Don’t get me wrong, I’m never going to argue with Austin delivering a few Stunners in Texas, but the fact that New Day had to take a back seat to the moment is indicative of the backwards-looking decisions plaguing the rest of the card.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I dont mind Zack Rider winning at all. Im not a fan of his per se but the show needs to give an "evertything can happen" feel every now and then.

If you, as a fan look at is as who gets pushed, buried or written off then you're always goibg to find ways to be pissed about it. Does it make storyline sense that Kevin or Zayn lost? No. But WWE is trying to present a product that isnt tied to those restraints, they want fans to feel like anyone in any match has a chance to win. With Zack winning, you get that.

Sephzilla

I dont mind Zack Rider winning at all. Im not a fan of his per se but the show needs to give an "evertything can happen" feel every now and then.

If you, as a fan look at is as who gets pushed, buried or written off then you're always goibg to find ways to be pissed about it. Does it make storyline sense that Kevin or Zayn lost? No. But WWE is trying to present a product that isnt tied to those restraints, they want fans to feel like anyone in any match has a chance to win. With Zack winning, you get that.

I didn't mind winning but what bothered me about it was that Ryder had no storyline build up at all to the match and he was simply a fill-in addition to the match. In fact the only story going into the match was Owens/Zayn, and neither of them were involved in the finish.

I'm willing to bet Ryder loses the belt tonight though

Trojan X

Banned
I'm not a Ryder fan so I'm always biased there but the win came out of nowhere. He is barely on Raw and now wins the IC Title? It made no sense to me. Especially when you have Owens and Sami there with all their history in play.

They could've pulled something great but having Lesnar destroying Ambrose for such a short amount of time was not what they were hinting at. Ambrose was supposed to be resistant instead he went down with just one F5. Honestly, I don't get it.

I see no problem with him winning the title as the opportunity was there. What I have a problem with was the manner in how it won it, it wasn't strong enough. However, in consideration that the guy gets shafted for so long it's unreal (he always informed to lose when he has a big match and he practically doesn't get much genuine matches where the match isn't fixed), I am glad that he won the belt. Now, I want to see what he does to retain it. He has to make it deserving... Oh yes, I really wish he ditches that "wuuuuuu wuuuuwuuuuuuuuu! You know it" crap for it makes him look pathetic. His attitude as a Hype Bro is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom