• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 32 |OT| OHHH! Written in the Stars! A Million Miles Awaaaaaay........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

New Day aren't a comedy act.

They are the tag team champions and one of the most over performers in the current roster. Some of the most entertaining and talented dudes to.

Definitely aren't a comedy act. they're basically the new new age outlaws. or DX. comedy elements, but legitimately entertaining and are to be taken seriously in the ring. considering they're, you know, the tag team champions.

They talked about this on LAW and decided that probably didn't happen because they couldn't really have the legends music play one-by-one if they ran in for the save.

Austin's music did get the biggest pop of the night.

Dude, with the way WWE wrestlers work, when someone's music comes on, anyone in ring completely loses any sense of multitasking and becomes 100% distracted by the person's entrance. we see this "distraction finish" multiple times a week, every week. the LON would have stopped the beat down and stared at HBK's entrance. then foley would follow, and then austin. exact same shit as last night.

it would have been fine. there's no fucking excuse.

Now they've done something, beat New Day

they lost to the new day like 4 times going into mania.

it's fucking backwards.

gazele

Banned
WM 33 Fantasy Booking

Roman vs Ambrose vs Rollins triple threat for WWE Heavy Weight Title
Undertaker vs Finn Balor
American Alpha vs New Day for Tag Team Titles (could put enzo and caz here instead)
Sasha Banks vs Charlotte for Women's Title
Bayley and Carmella vs Eva Marie and Dana Brooke for Women's Tag Team Titles (new title, could see amanda for tough enough as eva's partner too)
Enzo and Caz vs New Age Outlaws (assumes billy gunn forgiven)
Brock vs Cesaro
Owens vs Zayn for IC title
Ladder match for US title
AJ Styles vs Nakamura

kiguel182

WM 33 Fantasy Booking

Roman vs Ambrose vs Rollins triple threat for WWE Heavy Weight Title
Undertaker vs Finn Balor
American Alpha vs New Day for Tag Team Titles
Sasha Banks vs Charlotte for Women's Title
Bayley and Carmella vs Eva Marie and Dana Brooke for Women's Tag Team Titles (new)
Enzo and Caz vs New Age Outlaws
Brock vs Cesaro
Owens vs Zayn for IC title
Ladder match for US title

Why not do that at SummerSlam?

Are they going to barely advance anything in a year to get that card?

Well, it's WWE so probably I guess.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. When the womens title defense is a better match than the rest of the PPV and thats even WITH a botched sunset flip, then you got problems.

Split the brand. Keep NXT its own thing, and just give up on WWE. Its dead. Its there for HHH and Vince to suck each other's egos off.

But...NXT is HHH's ego project...

You guys overthink shit too much. AJ losing to Jericho didn't hurt anything. It was a heel finish, even is he won it wouldn't do jack shit for his career anyways (Fandanglol). They'll have a street fight at Extreme Rules which will probably be great and everyone forgets Mania. Happens every damn time.

Give me a damn break bout Austin/HBK/Foley segment. LON was a random stable that went nowhere fast. There was no burial because there is nothing to bury. They are a heel group that got beat up from legit HOF's, oh the humanity.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yup. When the womens title defense is a better match than the rest of the PPV and thats even WITH a botched sunset flip, then you got problems.

Split the brand. Keep NXT its own thing, and just give up on WWE. Its dead. Its there for HHH and Vince to suck each other's egos off.
The botch in this NXT tag match was almost the most impressive bit. There was that big botch on the double team move from the top rope, the crowd is chanting "botchamania", they just roll with it and turn the crown around with a quick pace, good wrestling, and good in ring charisma. This is where Roman and some of the others on the main roster really lack compared to the NXT guys and the old timers. I actually like Roman Reigns a decent amount, but just forcing him through multiple championship matches really exposes a lot of the problems WWE has. His weaknesses and the WWE's issues as a company are just feeding off each other as this big awful feedback loop :p

MrChom

The botch in this NXT tag match was almost the most impressive bit. There was that big botch on the double team move from the top rope, the crowd is chanting "botchamania", they just roll with it and turn the crown around with a quick pace, good wrestling, and good in ring charisma. This is where Roman and some of the others on the main roster really lack compared to the NXT guys and the old timers. I actually like Roman Reigns a decent amount, but just forcing him through multiple championship matches really exposes a lot of the problems WWE has. His weaknesses and the WWE's issues as a company are just feeding off each other as this big awful feedback loop :p

That Tag match is everything the Usos vs Dudleys wasn't. Classic heel stuff combined with some great babyface indignation and power. Dash and Dawson are a 1980s tag team with a lot of matches behind them.

Then again in NXT's tag division there's good quality and variety....the main roster doesn't seem to even utilise what it has.

Anth0ny

You guys overthink shit too much. AJ losing to Jericho didn't hurt anything. It was a heel finish, even is he won it wouldn't do jack shit for his career anyways (Fandanglol). They'll have a street fight at Extreme Rules which will probably be great and everyone forgets Mania. Happens every damn time.

Give me a damn break bout Austin/HBK/Foley segment. LON was a random stable that went nowhere fast. There was no burial because there is nothing to bury. They are a heel group that got beat up from legit HOF's, oh the humanity.

nobody forgets mania and remembers extreme rules. come on. that's not how it works.

you give the big win at mania, and it's every other show that doesn't matter. which is why the finishes were so fucking baffling last night.

Kornflayx

To all those saying that losing doesn't matter if you're entertaining enough. That's exactly the kind of shit that got us this years WM

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
People aren't going to remember the finish of a newday/lon match with no build behind it at all (and bear in mind the new day have gone over the lon pretty much every other match they've ever had).

They'll remember the cereal/saiyan spot though.

If New Day had a proper program going into 'mania (and they SHOULD have had one against the dudleys if the wwf hadn't booked that feud so badly), then I'd agree with you.

Yeah, the only ones that absolutely need a big win for legitimacy sake are the Wyatt family.

The rest of the booking problems are just storyline problems.

Mahonay

Banned
To all those saying that losing doesn't matter if you're entertaining enough. That's exactly the kind of shit that got us this years WM
It also suggests WWE makes a habit of telling good stories. They don't. They fucking don't even bother to tell a story at all 75 percent of the time. Wins and losses is about all you get these days.

joeposh

austin gave xavier a stunner

if anything the casual viewer sees them as weird geeks. why the fuck did they come out of a cereal box? why are they dressed like dragon ball z characters? then they lost and the legends posed on their own.

nothing about how new day was portrayed on this show did a good job of getting them over with a casual, mania-only viewer.

you know what would have? WINNING A FUCKING WRESTLING MATCH

... but they are weird geeks, so why is that a problem? I mean clearly they came up with those costumes and entrance, so if you have a problem with that approach at WM, you have a problem with the New Day.

Austin stuns everyone, it's what he does. I bet you Xavier loved every second of that and will get mileage out of it tonight on Raw.

I think there's a larger debate here about what Wrestlemania should be.

It's clear that since around Wrestlemania 28 when The Rock came back that Vince and Co view it as a chance to use old legends and celebs to maybe rope in some new viewers and generate press coverage. It's the spectacle above all else. People here would largely like it to be like NXT Takeover, a showcase for the in-ring work and a chance to elevate and reward talent.

I get that tension -- but you also see every year people pop into these threads and say "haven't watched wrestling in forever, but it was great to see Stone Cold (or some other WWE legend) out there again". That's who they're after, because you and I were going to watch regardless. I'm not saying that makes for a better product, I'm just saying that's what WM is at this point.

shaowebb

You wanna see a botch? Rewatch the Battle Royale as soon as Shaq and Bigshow are eliminated. They go from being bitter rivals to smiling, putting an arm around each other and walking out together arm in arm ON FUCKING CAMERA!

Kayfabe didn't even make it 2 seconds out of the ring. What the hell man?

And this video upsets me because Ric Flair interfered with the match. The match could have been stellar but he literally killed it. Charlotte would have had massive credibility boast if she won clean but that opportunity is gone now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jz1FYbVIOo
This is pro wrestling. Flair cheating the fans out of their favorite winning is supposed to enrage and upset you. You're supposed to be invested in the characters doing what they do, not them performing to some arbitrary standard of quality with nothing else mattering.

Charlotte doesn't need a credibility boost. She holds the title, and everyone believes she's a deserving champion.

MisterR

... but they are weird geeks, so why is that a problem? I mean clearly they came up with those costumes and entrance, so if you have a problem with that approach at WM, you have a problem with the New Day.

Austin stuns everyone, it's what he does. I bet you Xavier loved every second of that and will get mileage out of it tonight on Raw.

I think there's a larger debate here about what Wrestlemania should be.

It's clear that since around Wrestlemania 28 when The Rock came back that Vince and Co view it as a chance to use old legends and celebs to maybe rope in some new viewers and generate press coverage. It's the spectacle above all else. People here would largely like it to be like NXT Takeover, a showcase for the in-ring work and a chance to elevate and reward talent.

I get that tension -- but you also see every year people pop into these threads and say "haven't watched wrestling in forever, but it was great to see Stone Cold (or some other WWE legend) out there again". That's who they're after, because you and I were going to watch regardless. I'm not saying that makes for a better product, I'm just saying that's what WM is at this point.

Yep, WrestleMania is a spectacle, not an indy wrestling showcase.

I don't see why you wouldn't most fans would've tuned in when the pre-show started.

Plus you had fans there from the very beginning, that's a long ass day of watching wrestling.

I wonder how much of those 6 hours and 45 minutes was actual in-ring action?

Most people aren't watching the show from the arena but tuning in at 7PM est, so no I wouldn't count the pre show.

I found the show to be very disappointing. Very watchable. Not terrible. Just sort of blah.

For all the build up for the Shane/Undertaker match the storytelling was crap. What was the point of having Shane's kids come out to do his goofy dance with him and then get deposited with Grandma Linda (who wasn't really acknowledged but must be okay with this family blood feud) and then do nothing with them. No crying when Undertaker threw Shane through the cage or anything else.

I expected Vince to come out and get involved, even if it was just screaming "kill him" at the Undertaker or something like that. It would have made the jump off the cage spot more meaningful if Vince was out there and started pleading with Shane to not do it, only to see him do it anyway and then Vince could stand there stunned like "what have I done."

The complete lack of emotional payoff just made it seem like the stipulations on the match were absolutely pointless. Maybe Raw will prove me wrong tonight.

Another weird hang up, the women's match. I know they made this big deal about changing the name of the title from Divas to Womens because it's more about wrestling now than "puppies" and such. But I couldn't help but notice that pretty much every time Charlotte took any kind of bump she would immediately adjust her top. I like gratuitous cleavage as much as the next guy, but it took me out of the match a bit because neither Lynch or Banks had the same issue. Certainly not as often. It just reminded me of late WCW women's matches where they were desperately trying to match WWF's women, but Turner's family friendly policies meant that the women had to immediately clutch their chest to make sure they didn't have a nip slip any time they did anything.

krae_man

I totally agree. I get the feeling that she hates how much they tie her to her father.

It's a blessing and a curse. She wouldn't have been the Divas champ or win last night otherwise.

She's fine and better then most of the previous gen of Divas but she's mid tier for the NXT women at best.

orioto

Good Art™
People would like WM to be like Takeover but.. That's precisely cause Takeover exists that they can do something mainstream and cheesy with Wm. It's like an excuse now. "It's ok guys, we gave you what you wanted, let us do our business."

It's pretty clear that WM is a giant house show.

kiguel182

People would like WM to be like Takeover but.. That's precisely cause Takeover exists that they can do something mainstream and cheesy in Wm. It's like an excuse now. "It's ok guys, we gave you what you wanted, let us do our business."

I wouldn't mind that if they weren't taking guys from NXT and making them look like jokes.

I totally agree. I get the feeling that she hates how much they tie her to her father.

I mean, probably not, because she still gets to go all out and the fans do respect her as a performer a million times more than they care about her being her dad's daughter

the interferences have got to stop, though. it's crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom