• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 32 |OT| OHHH! Written in the Stars! A Million Miles Awaaaaaay........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Well damn, that'd be something. Cena coming back to make the save would've made a lot more sense in that case.

But Cena saved The Rock from an hypothetical beating, that's heroic and impactful. You just don't undertsand breh (for the record I'm happy to see Cena again but that return was lackluster).

Amory

the whole time during that Rock/Wyatts section I was just asking no one in particular "what the fuck is this?"

it's pretty clear at this point that Vince's plan for the Wyatts is just to keep them as a mid-card stable. He doesn't like that they're fat and ugly or whatever. But he clearly likes their shtick and likes the way Bray cuts a promo, because he gives him plenty of opportunities to do it all the time.

so, fine. they're mid-card guys, they have a cool, creepy gimmick, that's what they are.

and then they bring out the rock and for some reason use his (overly-long) segment to take a huge dump on Bray's image which is apparently the only thing he has going for him

like, what the fuck are you doing, vince? I get it. you had to bring Cena in somehow, so why not have him save the day? but then let him save the day! let Rock get his ass beat for a couple minutes.

Heretic

I'm so glad I don't follow the WWE anymore. Just mainly watch the PPVs. I enjoyed WrestleMania. Didn't like AJ losing to Jericho though.

Kaiterra

Banned
understanding what that brass ring means to Vince is like trying to decode what your girlfriend mean by "yes it's fine"

LOL you ain't never lied.

The "brass ring" comments and how people apply them to dudes like say Cesaro or Breeze or Sandow or [insert other "IWC" favorite who hasn't gotten a real shot] like it means anything when we've got Handsome Prince up there at the top of the roster having just waltzed right into the title picture and continually failed to accomplish a goddamn thing with one of the biggest pushes anyone's gotten in years and still getting chance after chance sure is something real hard to reconcile.

CfI7auvVAAAB3p9.jpg:large

Kurita

WWE needs better camera work ASAP
Why didn't they show Sasha climbing on the corner before the Frog Splash???????? All we saw was Charlotte awkardly looking at the corner and positioning herself to receive it.

Mahonay

Banned
Why didn't they show Sasha climbing on the corner before the Frog Splash????????
I kind of like those shots where someone seemingly just falls out of the sky. They showed a replay immediately after at least.

Sephzilla

Why didn't they show Sasha climbing on the corner before the Frog Splash????????

Cole: "If you take a look at Sasha's ring gear tonight you'll see that its a tribute to the late great Eddie Guerrero"

*Camera doesn't pan down to show Sasha's gear at all during her entire walk down the ramp*

Why didn't they show Sasha climbing on the corner before the Frog Splash???????? All we saw was Charlotte awkardly looking at the corner and positioning herself to receive it.
No but even if they did, you can bet you would barely make it out with the zoom IN OUT SHAAAAAKE OMG YHE IMPACT camera work.

joeposh

They also had a really bad angle for Flair holding her back at the end. It was sort of just happening in the background.

Kurita

I kind of like those shots where someone seemingly just falls out of the sky. They showed a replay immediately after at least.

I don't know man, I don't really want to wait for a replay to see a sick move especially when it's supposed to be a tribute/meaningful moment.

Hex

Banned
Cole: "If you take a look at Sasha's ring gear tonight you'll see that its a tribute to the late great Eddie Guerrero"

*Camera doesn't pan down to show Sasha's gear at all during her entire walk down the ramp*

Totally missed the frog splash too, had to see it on replay

good job wwe

WWE® today announced that its digital subscription service, WWE Network, reached a record 1.82 million total subscribers following last night’s WrestleMania®, the most viewedWrestleMania in history. This is a 39% increase from March 30, 2015, the day after WrestleManialast year.

The numbers speak for themselves. Vince knows exactly what he's doing. Prepare for "The most controversial WWE heavyweight champion Roman Reigns" for the next decade while the network numbers continue to go up.

Matticers

I thought the show was pretty okay overall but like others have said, the way the matches ended just left me confused about the direction of things. My long winded thoughts before Raw from what I saw:

IC Ladder Match: This was pretty cool as we've come to expect with these guys in ladder matches lately. It's a spot fest but it's still fun to watch. I'm happy for Ryder but it's also kind of a wtf moment because I really doubt they're going to let him have a run with the title for months and months. If he drops it quickly, what was the point of him winning? Just to give him a wrestlemania moment? He was just happy to be there. He basically has to hold the title for some time or else this makes little to no sense.

Styles/Jericho: It was an alright match but I think I'm just tired of seeing these two wrestle at this point. It was cool at first and the Y2AJ thing could have been fun if they rolled with it for a while but no, they want to keep giving us this feud. Almost everyone says that Jericho winning doesn't make sense and I agree completely. Others have said that they'll have a fifth match to "break the 2-2 tie" but... why? This was Wrestlemania. This is the one that mattered. They don't need another match and most people don't want to see that at this point. They need to pair Styles with a good heel who can work and keep up with him. If they don't have anyone for him, pair him with Jericho, maybe let them get a tag team title run and have them bicker with each other while they win. Kind of like Austin/Michaels. But enough with the AJ/Jericho singles feud.

New Day/League of Nations: I thought this match was disappointing considering what the New Day is capable of. The Xavier Woods squash at the start went on for WAY too long and it even seemed to take the crowd out of the match who were pretty into it during the cool entrance. That seemed to kill the whole match. Not surprising that ND lost since the titles weren't on the line but after seeing this, I'm wishing they just had a tag team title defense against another team instead. Michaels/Foley/Austin afterwards was cool but I was hoping they would use Austin for a bigger moment like in the Shane/Undertaker match just to have him screw Vince again. But nope. So that's a little disappointing too. Just basically fan service which is nice but yeah.

Ambrose/Brock: Another somewhat disappointing match. Ambrose was basically crushed which I don't mind since it's Brock but they need to go somewhere with Brock again soon. If the guy is dominating everyone, why wouldn't he be in the title mix again? It's kind of silly if he's not. They did very little in terms of weapons considering it was a street fight and they teased that sort of thing during the whole build up. Just kind of a bland match after the way they hyped it. Doesn't really help either guy in the end. Brock is still a beast who probably won't be going after the title and Ambrose just got his ass kicked.

Women's Title: This was probably the best match of the night for me which was a little surprising. Really glad that they finally changed the name of the championship too. All three wrestlers put on a damn good show. But I question the decision to leave the belt on Charlotte. She doesn't really need it and they could have went in a new direction with the new belt. Both Becky and Sasha would have been very worthy champs. I have a feeling Charlotte drops the title in a match with one (or both?) of them tonight. Otherwise do you just keep going with the 3 way thing? Or does Becky get the boot from being in the mix and it focuses on Sasha/Charlotte? That would suck for Becky.

Shane vs Taker: Some people thought this kind of sucked. I didn't. They're a couple of old guys in the ring. One wrestles a couple times a year and the other hasn't been in a ring in who knows how long and was never a real wrestler in the first place. So it went about as well as I expected. The spot obviously made the match and Shane is a legend. But... what was the point of the build up with Shane if he's just going to drop this match? Are they still going anywhere with this? With the stretcher thing, it seems like they want it to seem like he'll be gone for a while. Like they'll just bring him back if ratings tank again. That's kind of stupid. Would have been the perfect time for a run in or some kind of interference with Vince trying to screw his son when it looks like Shane might win, only for someone to come out and have Shane's back. It would have built and continued the story. But we just got this straight finish instead so I'm left to assume this is going nowhere.

Battle Royale: I pretty much fast forwarded through this. Had no interest in most of the competitors in it. Shaq was a wtf moment but I like him. Him as a surprise entrant would have worked better if they were in Orlando or LA or something. Doesn't fly as well in Dallas. He's a pretty funny dude so he's also the type of guy who would have been good with a mic in his hands and given a little build up but oh well. Another weird decision. Good for Corbin and all but I don't expect much to come from it.

The Rock segment: I've always loved The Rock. He's one of my all-time favorites. But this whole thing was just weird. The entrance went on for too long, the Wyatt's looked like a joke yet again and Cena's return seems a little wasted tying it to this. The attendance thing was just a way to hype up the crowd again because I don't think anyone watching the show cared about that record. And like others have said, I've basically lost hope with the Wyatt's ever making a meaningful run in the WWE. The Rock tried to talk them up and that's all well and great... but when you squash them right after that, it has no meaning. Pointless. The Wyatts are one of the biggest wastes of talent by the WWE writers that I've ever seen.

Reigns vs HHH: I wasn't looking forward to this and it was even worse than I expected. Even the crowd seemed bored and this is the main event of Wrestlemania for the championship! Unreal. The crowd was chanting "ole, ole, ole" and "Nakamura" in the middle of this match. lol. You know they don't care and don't want to see this when that is happening. The boos for Roman were huge and the way they tried to drown them out with piped in cheers or whatever at the end was pathetic. Stop treating your fans like they're idiots. But I guess we're officially being force fed Reigns again. Him turning heel is the only way to salvage this but I feel like if they were going to do that, they would have done it during or after this match. He's just John Cena 2.0. Complete with the women and children chanting "let's go Roman" while everyone else chants "Roman sucks". They could've had an awesome 3 way feud with the Shield members if Roman turned. Shane could have even blocked HHH from trying to screw over Roman if he won his match. But neither of those things happened so I'm just wondering what the next step is. And pretty concerned, actually.

Decent show overall. Mostly good matches with a few disappointments. Always good to see legends like Michaels, Foley, Rock, Austin but the end of almost every match had me wondering "where are they going with this now?" Which isn't a good feeling. I guess we'll see tonight on Raw.

WWE® today announced that its digital subscription service, WWE Network, reached a record 1.82 million total subscribers following last night’s WrestleMania®, the most viewedWrestleMania in history. This is a 39% increase from March 30, 2015, the day after WrestleManialast year.

The numbers speak for themselves. Vince knows exactly what he's doing. Prepare for "The most controversial WWE heavyweight champion Roman Reigns" for the next decade while the network numbers continue to go up.

The number of paid domestic subscribers is actually down compared to last year. WWE is counting that people that signed up for the free trial won't cancel.

Toki767

It's hard to take that number seriously when they gave it away for free. If anything, you'd think they'd have gotten over a million extra people to sign up for a trial rather than like 500K.

WWE stock actually plummeted pretty badly in the past hour.

The number of paid domestic subscribers is actually down compared to last year. WWE is counting that people that signed up for the free trial won't cancel.

It's hard to take that number seriously when they gave it away for free. If anything, you'd think they'd have gotten over a million extra people to sign up for a trial rather than like 500K.

WWE stock actually plummeted pretty badly in the past hour.

Shane VS Taker and the promise of a new direction for the company^

Now that doesn't seem to be the case and with the end of Wrestlemania dropping like a rock in a pond I fully expect them to lose plenty of subs.

The pre WM build up seems to have brought a lot of people back to the product this time around.

Most watched WM that was free, sure

I wonder if people will put their money where their mouth is and actually cancel. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't though (but NXT IS AWESOME!!!)

I liked the ladder match a lot.

Very very fun, great work by all involved.

Reinforced my belief that Dolph is amazing also. It's just the little things like him hopping up the ladder, that really set him apart.

Enjoyed Shane/Taker too - that spot was fairly intense.

Creative: Erik, we have great news for you! You'll be taking on The Rock one on one at Wrestlemania!

Rowan: OMG!

Creative: heisgoingtosquashyouin6secondsHEY IS THAT A NEW SHEEP MASK??

Alucard

Banned
NXT is not awesome, dudes. It's ok to good most weeks, forgettable during others, and awesome once every 3 months or so when they do specials.

Sephzilla

NXT is not awesome, dudes. It's ok to good most weeks, forgettable during others, and awesome once every 3 months or so when they do specials.

NXT week to week used to be pretty awesome. Losing Breeze, Neville, Owens, Itami (to injury), Sasha, Becky, Charlotte, and even Bo Dallas hurt the show at a weekly level. Losing Sami and potentially
Enzo and Cass
to the main roster is going to hurt them too.

Alucard

Banned
I liked the ladder match a lot.

Very very fun, great work by all involved.

Reinforced my belief that Dolph is amazing also. It's just the little things like him hopping up the ladder, that really set him apart.

Enjoyed Shane/Taker too - that spot was fairly intense.

That spot made me super uncomfortable. Like, "No no no. Why are you doing this?"

RBH

Finally got done watching this show.

First off, seven fucking hours is way too damn long, and this show shouldn't be ending at 11:45pm ET.

Overall, I was ok with the show. The ladder match and the women's match were both great and AJ/Jericho was good. When I think about it in terms of how the WWE operates, I wasn't entirely surprised that Jericho won. The WWE's modus operandi is to make these "new guy" earn their WrestleMania moment rather than just giving it to them in their first time (as we saw with Sting last year). But then you think about how Fandango went over Jericho at WM29 and it makes you wonder. I just want AJ to move on from Jericho, but we're probably getting a 5th match.

Lesnar/Ambrose was ok, but I didn't really remember too much aside from Ambrose's low blow on Lesnar. Nothing too memorable.

Shane/Taker was a spectacle as I expected, nothing more than that. Shane is still insane for the bumps that he takes.

The Shaq appearance in the Battle Royal came out of nowhere for me, as well as Corbin's win and DDP's cameo. Corbin might've not been my first choice as far as elevating an NXT guy in this type of match, but it's a lot better than some retread like Big Show winning. Match itself was nothing special.

Mixed feelings on the LON/New Day match. Wasn't a fan of New Day losing after the momentum they've been generating lately. It was obviously a treat to see HBK and Stone Cold and Foley (Stone Cold probably got the biggest pop of the night), but it kinda seemed like it came at the expense of New Day in a way.

The Rock/Cena/Wyatts segment was fine, but I was ready for the show to wrap it up by this point.

Reigns/HHH was unremarkable. Not sure if it's better or worse than Miz/Cena, but Reigns' spear on Steph was the only thing that stood out for me.

On a positive note, I was pleasantly surprised to see the return of the post-Mania highlight package! It's been years since they've done that!

thefro

http://www.f4wonline.com/daily-upda...mania-32-fallout-undertaker-done-again-210491

Big Dave Meltzer said:
The number of people in the building legitimately was 97,769, or more than the 93,000 plus that was believed to have been the total last night. I'm not sure how many events have claimed 100,000 in the stadium but legitimately there have only been a few as this was one of the largest legitimate crowds in the history of AT&T Stadium (wrestling is far from the only people who exaggerate numbers). WWE announced 101,763 as the attendance and a $17.3 million gate. The gate is either accurate or very close to it.

It's awesome. It's enjoyable every single week. It's the polar opposite of WWE where that's slightly enjoyable once a year.

Did Bray Wyatt run over Vince's dog or something? I can't think what Wyatt must have done to get continually buried like this.

According to that Reddit insider (the one who's been on point on just about everything), Vince believes he's the new Undertaker, and that he can take the constant losses and burials.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
According to that Reddit insider (the one who's been on point on just about everything), Vince believes he's the new Undertaker, and that he can take the constant losses and burials.

He's got a good point if so. You remember early in the Undertaker's career when he was constantly getting stomped on by everybody, like when he beat Hulk Hogan for the title inside a year with the company and never lost a Wrestlemania match even when he faced main eventers from the previous decades early in his career? Just like Bray. Undertaker survived it, I'm sure Bray can too.

Hex

Banned

Odd because that is not how he built the Undertaker, that is how he ruined Gangrel

gogosox82

That sounds like something Vince would say but he didn't build Undertaker up like that. Does Vince remember the streak at all? You know the one where taker didn't lose at mania for 20 years? Or how taker won the title after being in the company for a year from Hogan? Taker didn't start losing matches until after he was a made guy essentially.

That sounds like something Vince would say but he didn't build Undertaker up like that. Does Vince remember the streak at all? You know the one where taker didn't lose at mania for 20 years? Or how taker won the title after being in the company for a year from Hogan? Taker didn't start losing matches until after he was a made guy essentially.

I honestly don't think anyone in the company even realized he was undefeated at Mania until around WM17. That was the first time they ever acknowledged any kind of winning streak at Mania. He was dangerously close to losing to Giant Gonzalez at WM9.

BunnyBear

How did they rig up the floor for Shane's spot? Surely they had some sort of padding to break it. Insane leap.

One brave motherfucker.

Trojan X

Banned
I hope we get AJ vs Rollins sometime during his wwe run

Seth Rollins would be perfect against AJ Styles. The matches would be fast, skillful, high flying, and all over the place. If they are willing to fight strong style then it would be jaw dropping awesome providing Seth don't attempt to break AJ's nose.

How did they rig up the floor for Shane's spot? Surely they had some sort of padding to break it. Insane leap.

One brave motherfucker.

It wasn't planned. Shane is a madman.

FyreWulff

One brave motherfucker.

that desk had something under it (airbags?) to make it a bit softer.

it was obvious the spot was planned though, you can see the footholds they put in the cage to make it easier for Shane to climb every time they show that side of the cage on camera.

RBH

One more thing I just remembered..........

HHH and Reigns started off the match with a really badly mistimed side headlock takedown that honestly left me in disbelief. The very first move in the match was basically a botch. I've never seen a side headlock takedown botched that badly (I didn't even know you could botch it!).

Pretty much set the tone for how the match was going to be, unfortunately.

Trojan X

Banned
that desk had something under it (airbags?) to make it a bit softer.

it was obvious the spot was planned though, you can see the footholds they put in the cage to make it easier for Shane to climb every time they show that side of the cage on camera.

It wasn't planned. There was no airbag or something to cushion the fall. Those foot-holes always been there on every cage match in case the performers want to go up top. Vince legitimately freaked out when Shane went and done that madness. Undertaker just played along as a performer but his reaction from the aftermath said everything when the camera zoomed up to his face at Wrestlemania. The execs expected Shane to cut part of the cage and that was it, but jumping off the very top to land on a desk?! Shane IS a madman. He always has been because he is unpredictable and make up his own rules as he goes along. I think the only person that understands his madness is Kurt Angle..

Hasney

It wasn't planned. There was no airbag or something to cushion the fall. Those foot-holes always been there on every cage match in case the performers want to go up top. Vince legitimately freaked out when Shane went and done that madness. Undertaker just played along as a performer but his reaction from the aftermath said everything when the camera zoomed up to his face at Wrestlemania. The execs expected Shane to cut part of the cage and that was it, but jumping off the very top to land on a desk?! Shane IS a madman. He always has been because he is unpredictable and make up his own rules as he goes along. I think the only person that understands his madness is Kurt Angle..

There were already reports of the spot being planned on Saturday. Everyone knew going into it that the spot was the plan.

The footholes are always there though, yeah.

EDIT:

According to the Observer, Shane's OMG spot for the Taker match has already been planned and rehearsed. Might be his craziest ever if the rumor of its height ends up being true.

Jolly good.

Trojan X

Banned
Totally. I wouldn't care if he was obviously landing on the softest substance in the world, you still have to be a madman to make that jump.

Exactly. The height was insane. Shane leaped from a height that is much higher than my two floor house! Normally, people would have their back severely damage or suffer from internal bleeding. Stunt or no stunt, Shane is a madman and a madman to the point where I find it really hard to believe that it was planned from the beginning. Shane and Jeff Hardy are mad and unpredictable as each other.

Sephzilla

The footholes in the side of the cell are always there. Honestly the footholes are probably used by the ring crew when building the cell and rigging it to go up and down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom