• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 32 |OT| OHHH! Written in the Stars! A Million Miles Awaaaaaay........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
It wasn't planned. There was no airbag or something to cushion the fall. Those foot-holes always been there on every cage match in case the performers want to go up top. Vince legitimately freaked out when Shane went and done that madness. Undertaker just played along as a performer but his reaction from the aftermath said everything when the camera zoomed up to his face at Wrestlemania. The execs expected Shane to cut part of the cage and that was it, but jumping off the very top to land on a desk?! Shane IS a madman. He always has been because he is unpredictable and make up his own rules as he goes along. I think the only person that understands his madness is Kurt Angle..

Not only that, but we have seen many times where you can miss your mark.
You can miss the table, you can miss the clean hit

Regarding the table spot, you can see that at the very least the top of the table was foam to cushion a fall.

4piXNEO.png

That's one of the holes cut out for a monitor to sit in. Still a batshit crazy thing to do, mind you...

Mahonay

Banned
Regarding the table spot, you can see that at the very least the top of the table was foam to cushion a fall.

4piXNEO.png

That's one of the holes cut out for a monitor to sit in. Still a batshit crazy thing to do, mind you...
Yeah I saw the cushion after he hit the table. Helps some but he still slammed hard on that table.

Anth0ny

4piXNEO.png

Of course they were going to do this. When he jumped off the titantron it was basically into a giant foam cushion.

The visual is still amazing, so it doesn't matter that much. Though nothing will top the rawness of Foley's bump.

Seijuro

Forgot about one thing that really bothered me which I forgot until today: At Sashas entrance the commentary played up how big of an influence Eddie Guerrero was for her. But in the match, when she actually did one of Eddie's spots (top rope spot with arm/hand bar) and the Eddie-style swagger afterward commentary blatantly ignored it and the following Eddie-chants from the crowd.
May seem like small nitpicking, bothered me nonetheless.

Mahonay

Banned
Forgot about one thing that really bothered me which I forgot until today: At Sashas entrance the commentary played up how big of an influence Eddie Guerrero was for her. But in the match, when she actually did one of Eddie's spots (top rope spot with arm/hand bar) and the Eddie-style swagger afterward commentary blatantly ignored it and the following Eddie-chants from the crowd.
May seem like small nitpicking, bothered me nonetheless.
She also did a frog splash.

Commentary constantly misses shit like that. They are awful.

MrChom

She also did a frog splash.

Commentary constantly misses shit like that. They are awful.

Would this be like how Michael Cole still can't tell the difference between "Hell in a Cell" as a match stipulation, and "The Cell" which is the structure it takes place in. Surely any rational human would have realised the line "He's climbing to the top of the Hell in a Cell" sounds ridiculous.

But no.

Not our Michael Cole. I remember when he did Smackdown and it was a sort-of missable B-Show compared to Raw so you didn't have to listen to him if you felt like it. It may be unpopular but I'd pay good money to have the Smackdown team move to Raw, and Mike Tenay+Scott Hudson do Smackdown. JBL might be found a place but I'd happily relegate Cole and Saxton to programmes I don't watch.

Mahonay

Banned
Would this be like how Michael Cole still can't tell the difference between "Hell in a Cell" as a match stipulation, and "The Cell" which is the structure it takes place in. Surely any rational human would have realised the line "He's climbing to the top of the Hell in a Cell" sounds ridiculous.

But no.

Not our Michael Cole. I remember when he did Smackdown and it was a sort-of missable B-Show compared to Raw so you didn't have to listen to him if you felt like it. It may be unpopular but I'd pay good money to have the Smackdown team move to Raw, and Mike Tenay+Scott Hudson do Smackdown. JBL might be found a place but I'd happily relegate Cole and Saxton to programmes I don't watch.
Mauro Ranallo on Smackdown is the best commentator in WWE right now by a mile. I get so pissed when they refuse to use him on any PPVs yet, they only have him on the pre-show matches.

Cole on Smackdown with Tazz at one point was actually pretty good. He also directs the NXT commentary. When he's on RAW and reading the lines fed to him from Vince he is just absolutely unbearable. You can tell he just kind of shuts his mind off. JBL is even worse a lot of the time these days.

Rouse

Went back to watch the pre show matches. Ryback/Kalisto was a lot better than it had any right to be.

Totally agree! I watched it and really enjoyed it, didn't like the ending mind you... But I thought Ryback did a good job throughout mouthing off and carrying / pressing Kalisto up the steps was good!

I even enjoyed parts of the Diva tag match, I thought that Alicia Fox looked really good!

Was hyped to watch the whole show the following day, but outside of the ladder match and DDP / Shaq / Tatanka didn't think it was that great.

that desk had something under it (airbags?) to make it a bit softer.

it was obvious the spot was planned though, you can see the footholds they put in the cage to make it easier for Shane to climb every time they show that side of the cage on camera.

The Cell has had foot holes in it since the HHH/Foley one in 2000.

Mauro Ranallo Is fucking great. He sounds like Stephan Quadros from PRIDE. Best announcer WWE has had in years. Sounds professional like he's watching a sport

Mahonay

Banned
Mauro Ranallo Is fucking great. He sounds like Stephan Quadros from PRIDE. Best announcer WWE has had in years. Sounds professional like he's watching a sport
The fact he sounds like he knows what the fuck he's talking about is a breath of fresh air on it's own.
The amount of people who don't get the sarcasm about Shane's fall being rigged is kind of scary.
Picking up sarcasm on the internet is always an issue.

4piXNEO.png

I haven't looked too much at replays but i was wondering if the table looking a bit larger then normal was part of it. Saw the crash mat they had stuffed under the table when he did the spot, I was gusseing they just shoved a crash mat under a rigged table. Didnt think the table itself would also be made of foam.

Still... that was a harsh looking spot even with all that. So props to WWE production of mostly hiding the magic.

I bet Vince and Dunn were pissed off that when Taker got off the table, he practically tackled the cameraman who was set up for the floor shot and ruined it.

Ban Puncher

I bet Vince and Dunn were pissed off that when Taker got off the table, he practically tackled the cameraman who was set up for the floor shot and ruined it.

I would buy a lifetime subscription to the WWE Network just to hear an unconfirmed second hand account of Kevin Dunn attempting to talk shit to The Undertaker.

jmdajr

One more thing I just remembered..........

HHH and Reigns started off the match with a really badly mistimed side headlock takedown that honestly left me in disbelief. The very first move in the match was basically a botch. I've never seen a side headlock takedown botched that badly (I didn't even know you could botch it!).

Pretty much set the tone for how the match was going to be, unfortunately.

Dean and Ziggler could do it. What went wrong?

hmmmm.

Pikma

Banned
JBL: Look at Reigns' power!!!!!!
*Reigns take 5 seconds just to barely lift H for a half assed power bomb*

:lol :lol :lol

Also :lol at the Bayley chants during the match

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Cole is fine, it's Vince that's the problem. You can look at Cole's stuff from 15 years ago and see a talented commentator. I think he's also the guy in charge of directing the NXT commentary (So he's the guy in the earpiece).

On RAW? They're just doing what Vince and Kevin Dunn are telling them (Although JBL and King suck). Don't do what they want? You end up like Joey Styles.

MrChom

Cole is fine, it's Vince that's the problem. You can look at Cole's stuff from 15 years ago and see a talented commentator. I think he's also the guy in charge of directing the NXT commentary (So he's the guy in the earpiece).

On RAW? They're just doing what Vince and Kevin Dunn are telling them (Although JBL and King suck). Don't do what they want? You end up like Joey Styles.

15 years ago would be 2001, and I can honestly say he wasn't looked on favourably then...however if he's the guy directing the NXT commentary then there must be some talent there because Phillips and Graves do an admirable job on commentary given NXT's more....esoteric tendencies with the moves being used, and the nature of the matches they're calling.

Mahonay

Banned
15 years ago would be 2001, and I can honestly say he wasn't looked on favourably then...however if he's the guy directing the NXT commentary then there must be some talent there because Phillips and Graves do an admirable job on commentary given NXT's more....esoteric tendencies with the moves being used, and the nature of the matches they're calling.
Cole on Smackdown with Tazz was legitimately good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom