• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WRPGs with good combat?

RedSwirl

The Witcher 3's super good, but you wouldn't know that if you ignored everything the game told you about potions

I think the problem is a lot of people who don't build Geralt towards potions or spells ignore them, thinking you should only use the stuff you build towards, but that's not true at all.

TW3 wants you to regularly use potions and signs regardless of how much you actually level them. I basically put everything into sword and still used potions, oils, bombs, and signs almost all the time. They're all very useful even unleveled.

Witcher 3 has good combat?

Diablo 3 and The Surge are RPGs?

LOL.

Uh. Whatever you say, GAF
"RPG" as a category in video games is damn near a useless term.

I don't see how Diablo 3 isn't an RPG by the whole idea of your stats having a major role in deciding the game's challenges and the player making choices of which abilities to use and when.

Its why I've brought up Darksiders 2. You've got loot and stats and leveling and skill trees and lore and dungeons and bosses and dialogue with NPCs in a well realized world. That makes it an RPG in the world of video games doesn't it?

Spoit

"RPG" as a category in video games is damn near a useless term.

I don't see how Diablo 3 isn't an RPG by the whole idea of your stats having a major role in deciding the game's challenges and the player making choices of which abilities to use and when.

Its why I've brought up Darksiders 2. You've got loot and stats and leveling and skill trees and lore and dungeons and bosses and dialogue with NPCs in a well realized world. That makes it an RPG in the world of video games doesn't it?

Sure it does, when the jrpgs that are being used for comparison's sake are freaking Ninja Gaiden and DMC

arcticice

Final Fantasy XV (JRPG but combat is not turn based) and Horizon Zero Dawn have amazing combat. If you're just playing for combat, then FFXV should be your priority. It was amazing to play with a ton of abilities at your disposal

arcticice

OP asked for good combat WRPGs and people are recommending Fallout, Witcher, and "Dragon Age Inquisition (biggest LOL)?" DA I has the most boring combat you'll ever see

CloudWolf

I like combat in crpg's like Divinity: Original Sin, Fallout 1 + 2 and RTWP games (for modern examples, I loved the combat system in Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny). But it seems like you're not really asking for those.

Fallout 4 thread.

OP asked for RPG's.

GHG

Gold Member
The ones I think of off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

Divinity: Original Sin
Dragon Age series
Fallout VATS system
Wasteland 2
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Kingdoms of Amalur

I love The Witcher 3, but it certainly ain't because of the combat.

I also want to note that I played all of the above on consoles, so I can't speak for the PC experience. Out of that list, I think Horizon was the most fun to play, followed closely by Kingdoms of Amalur. I wish that Amalur could have gotten ported to PS4/ONE/PC/Switch, etc.

Kingdoms of Amular is available on steam.

KodiakGT

My favorite of recent WRPGs is probably Mass Effect Andromeda. Favorite of all time would have to be Jade Empire. Very fast paced and pretty deep. Also would give a nod to Fable though it's debatably an adventure game.

Budi

Witcher 3 has good combat?

Diablo 3 and The Surge are RPGs?

LOL.

Uh. Whatever you say, GAF

When stepping outside of Souls community in GAF, Witcher 3 combat doesn't cause such vitriol. I guess you are not impressed by it either, I have my issues with it too but overall like it. Can't comment on Surge but yes Diablo 3 is hack and slash which is under the RPG umbrella and also has it's roots in pen & paper RPG:s.

Durante

Of course GAF could simply list from among the many perfectly understandable examples like Temple of Elemantal Evil, etc, but instead the way to go is to list every game that is debatable even whether they are rpgs to begin with.
You have to be content just to get a few Divinity: OS mentions, you can't expect people to know the RPG that had the best turn-based combat before that was out ;)

Doc_Drop

You have to be content just to get a few Divinity: OS mentions, you can't expect people to know the RPG that had the best turn-based combat before that was out ;)
I'd honestly never heard of it but I'm interested, how is the rest of the game and is it approachable to a newcomer?

shmoglish

I'd honestly never heard of it but I'm interested, how is the rest of the game and is it approachable to a newcomer?
I did never play a Crpg before (well, I failed tryinh Baldurs Gate) and it is absolutely doable and fun. Story is just ok, but the game has some nice sidequests and the world design is great (imo).

Greedings

Witcher 3 has pretty good combat, but only on death march. You just have to get used to using everything in your arsenal, and understanding that you can't cancel out of animations.

Doc_Drop

I did never play a Crpg bevor (well, I failes trying Baldurs Gate) and it is absolutely doable and fun. Story is just ok, but the game has some nice sidequests and the world design is great (imo).
Nice, I'll pick it up. I always prefer turn based to rtwp - as much I appreciate Pillars and Tyranny, I'm not a fan of the combat

Ratrat

Witcher 3 has pretty good combat, but only on death march. You just have to get used to using everything in your arsenal, and understanding that you can't cancel out of animations.
No, its still bad and tedious, rarely posing a challenge on that difficulty.

duckroll

Good turn based strategy style combat:
Fallout 2
Divinity Original Sin <-- GOAT

Good action based clicking combat:
Diablo 2
Diablo 3

Good shooting combat:
Mass Effect 2

Good SM RPG ripoff combat:
South Park Stick of Truth

jdstorm

Banned
The lack of Destiny mentions in this thread is suprising. Sure its RPG elements arent that great, but as a shooter its one of the must play games this gen.

I felt like it was the other way around on the hardest difficulty. Instead of being able to use the whole arsenal of tools at your disposal, the difficulty encouraged minmaxing & upgrading a narrow set of skills. I think it was decent combat, but it was probably still the weakest part of the game.

Zakalwe

Banned
Mass Effect 2 and 3 have really great combat. Andromeda wasn't bad from what I played, either.

Divinity: OS has incredible turn based combat.

The Witcher 3's super good, but you wouldn't know that if you ignored everything the game told you about potions

Even with potions it's nowhere near "super good" to me. I get that it's one of those systems that you need to delve into more to get the most out of it, but it's still quite shallow and awkward even when you do.

The Witcher games in general have had interesting combat but never great combat, and each instalment has had pretty big issues that prevent be from calling it 'good' overall.

kagamin

I honestly think Wizardry-likes is one of my favorite genres of Japanese games, so don't try to tell me about WRPGs being all bad on combat.

Durante

Seeing all this discussion of what actually constitutes interesting RPG combat, I want to link to this older thread I posted:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1156508

It only applies to turn-based systems, but it's a systematic way that describes how I think about RPG combat being interesting or not.
And by that, turn-based WRPGs likely fare better statistically than JRPGs, simply because they are more likely to have meaningful positioning.

bati

Man I should really give Divinity: OS a second third chance. Gave up twice in second act already.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Seeing all this discussion of what actually constitutes interesting RPG combat, I want to link to this older thread I posted:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1156508

It only applies to turn-based systems, but it's a systematic way that describes how I think about RPG combat being interesting or not.
And by that, turn-based WRPGs likely fare better statistically than JRPGs, simply because they are more likely to have meaningful positioning.

Positioning isn't the end all be all of interesting combat, though. Sometimes it slows the rhythm down that it becomes more of a hindrance than a help.

bati

What's "the rhythm" in this case?

Prepwork before the fights. In Baldur's Gate this meant going through the same buff sequence, in DOS (and other games where this option is available) it means maneuvering your units into position before the actual fight begins.

Realyn

Christ at not only the first post saying Witcher, but other people repeating it. Not only is the combat itself so-so, but more importantly it stays the same for the latter 95% of the game. You don't unlock anything exciting at all. Just zero progression.

It really annoys me. Because calling such a battle system "good" is the reason we went from Mass Effect 1/Dragon Age 1 combat on PC to what we have now, dialogue wheels and 8 skills. Please no complexity whatsoever.

Christ at not only the first post saying Witcher, but other people repeating it. Not only is the combat itself so-so, but more importantly it stays the same for the latter 95% of the game. You don't unlock anything exciting at all. Just zero progression.

It really annoys me. Because calling such a battle system "good" is the reason we went from Mass Effect 1/Dragon Age 1 combat on PC to what we have now, dialogue wheels and 8 skills. Please no complexity whatsoever.

Maybe you should play some MOBAs for some mana/cooldown loop play. It's pretty much the epitome of it.

Sanctuary

The Witcher 3

I believe I saw a "good" in the title somewhere. The only games that come to mind are Dragon's Dogma and the Souls games, which are both from Japanese developers, but structured closer to WRPGs.

Divinity: original sin. It plays sublime on console.

Okay, you got me. Although turn based combat isn't exactly revolutionary, and it's easier to make it above average than it is real time. Plus, the game got particularly easy slightly over the halfway mark.

Top Bottom