• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE announces that Kurt Angle will return to the ring

Anth0ny

Honestly, won't be happy unless Kurt takes a piledriver off the ladder through tables set up on the outside of the ring.

You think that will stop him?
gif-chairshot.0.gif

Put Kurt's head on reigns

guys.

AJ v Balor....

THERE is your headline right there.

get the popcorn/lube/whatever your fetish ready because that should be amazing.

night814

Quality wise, eh.

Business wise, nope. Dude's not a draw.

He's the last guy that was getting big pops, crowd was like 90% behind him doing his catch phrases and wearing his shirts. You'd find more bullet club shirts in the crowd than any one current WWE guy right now.

Tagyhag

He's the last guy that was getting big pops, crowd was like 90% behind him doing his catch phrases and wearing his shirts. You'd find more bullet club shirts in the crowd than any one current WWE guy right now.

He was getting big pops but weren't the numbers still decreasing with him as champion?

I agree that this is absolutely unfair to DB though, and they're only doing it because they don't want to deal with trying to fit him in storylines and fans being against it.

Mahonay

Banned
He was getting big pops but weren't the numbers still decreasing with him as champion?

I agree that this is absolutely unfair to DB though, and they're only doing it because they don't want to deal with trying to fit him in storylines and fans being against it.
I want to say numbers decreased even faster during Roman's first couple of runs as top guy just afterward.

I mean fuck, they put the WWE belt on Jinder and the Smackdown attendance is embarrassingly bad now.

Bringing Bryan back would not hurt. But he's going to leave anyway once his contract runs out, as he's been saying he will as long as WWE doesn't allow him to work matches.

Just_one

Would be beyond cool if aj and finn would do some throw back move to bullet club (like the hand pistol) during the match but that would get them in trouble wouldnt it??

Limit

Would be beyond cool if aj and finn would do some throw back move to bullet club (like the hand pistol) during the match but that would get them in trouble wouldnt it??

Unless its trademarked I don't see why it would. I don't believe there is a history of hand gestures getting trademarked anyways. Only one I can think of is Gene Simmons filing for one earlier this year but nothing came of it.

Mahonay

Banned
Unless its trademarked I don't see why it would. I don't believe there is a history of hand gestures getting trademarked anyways. Only one I can think of is Gene Simmons filing for one earlier this year but nothing came of it.
Lol Vince just recently sent the Young Bucks of the Bullet Club a cease and desist for using the 2Sweet hand gesture. It's the funniest shit ever. WWE looked so ridiculously dumb.

It'd get them into trouble because Vince doesn't want anyone to acknowledge that there's wrestling promotions other than WWE.

normanski

Neo Member
Guys yall do know that Kurt angle's WrestleMania opponent is the game Triple H?

From what I’ve read Hunter will be against Owens to wrap up the whole angle he has against the McMahon’s.

I can see where people are coming from at the lack of build up, but I’m still excited to see Kurt back at doing what he does best.

I think they could have done more to build it into the current story though i.e have Miz mocking Dean/Seth with the rest of his team in the ring about the match now been a 5v2 with Roman out. Seth then says something along the lines of “who said that it was just us?” With a huge pop when the theme comes on and Kurt appears on the ramp next to the remaining two members of the Shield. That all give each other the nod then run down to the ring and immediately launch into a brawl.

Finn’s match would be an easier fix story-wise without having to include AJ (though that match sounds great). Change Sister Abigail to be played by a woman but make it a squash match with the typical flash’s/cut to black and have her just stood there suddenly with Finn freaked out .Lights go off then back on again, she’s vanished but Finn is motionless in the middle of the ring, maybe with his face frozen in horror, with the medics then coming in and stretchering him out (a man fighting a woman doesn’t work in this era and would never happen for obvious reasons) ...what actually happened is all in the audience’s imagination. from there just continue the feud until the next PPV when Bray is back.

From what I’ve read Hunter will be against Owens to wrap up the whole angle he has against the McMahon’s.

I can see where people are coming from at the lack of build up, but I’m still excited to see Kurt back at doing what he does best.

I think they could have done more to build it into the current story though i.e have Miz mocking Dean/Seth with the rest of his team in the ring about the match now been a 5v2 with Roman out. Seth then says something along the lines of “who said that it was just us?” With a huge pop when the theme comes on and Kurt appears on the ramp next to the remaining two members of the Shield. That all give each other the nod then run down to the ring and immediately launch into a brawl.

Finn’s match would be an easier fix story-wise without having to include AJ (though that match sounds great). Change Sister Abigail to be played by a woman but make it a squash match with the typical flash’s/cut to black and have her just stood there suddenly with Finn freaked out .Lights go off then back on again, she’s vanished but Finn is motionless in the middle of the ring, maybe with his face frozen in horror, with the medics then coming in and stretchering him out (a man fighting a woman doesn’t work in this era and would never happen for obvious reasons) ...what actually happened is all in the audience’s imagination. from there just continue the feud until the next PPV when Bray is back.

They had to announce it ahead of time

Lots of people would have not watched if all they heard was no Shield.

fhqwhgads

I don't get the complaints about there being no build. They've literally had days to try and sort something out, this is one time where last minute booking wasn't intended and it looks to be the right choice rather than the usual "Vince changes the finish of a match on the day of the show because he's in a good/bad mood". At this point you have to take what you can get when WWE does something remotely positive.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I appreciate some of y'all want continuity, but Bray vs Finn hasn't clicked at all. Neither is at fault, but it's not working. At all. Best to just quietly end it and move Finn onto something else.

kirblar

I appreciate some of y'all want continuity, but Bray vs Finn hasn't clicked at all. Neither is at fault, but it's not working. At all. Best to just quietly end it and move Finn onto something else.
Bray generally just hasn't been working at all as a character for a long time.

I'm super excited by this news. It being 5v3 seems a bit weird now though, yes it's Kurt Angle but the Shield being such a dominant faction together was sort of what made them taking on 5 guys (3 of which were World Champions, plus Braun who is a monster, and Cesaro) sort of plausible. Very excited regardless though.

Even more excited for AJ vs Finn. It's a one off match so hopefully they let them go all out. Imagine the pop if the two of them Too Sweet or if Anderson and Gallows get involved. For those who don't know, Finn and AJ were the first two leaders of Bullet Club (you could argue that Anderson was the leader after Finn, but AJ was definitely the star.) Potential MOTY for me right there, I love both wrestlers and I think they'll put on a killer show.

Wyatt Family losing to Bros of Destruction hurt so much

And brays character is worse than his nxt one

Just a victim of creative and vince being too old and out of touch

I'm super excited by this news. It being 5v3 seems a bit weird now though, yes it's Kurt Angle but the Shield being such a dominant faction together was sort of what made them taking on 5 guys (3 of which were World Champions, plus Braun who is a monster, and Cesaro) sort of plausible. Very excited regardless though.

The Shield was not that dominant during their run I specifically remember them taking big losses to the Wyatt family and cm punk in a 3 vs 1 handicap match.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Finn does that every match

Seijuro

AJ vs Finn should be a moty contender if they let them at it with enough time.

As for Angle: I doubt very much that he will really be an actual participant in the TLC match. Either they write him out for most of the match (beatdown on the ramp or something) or pull a swerve with Jason Jordan. WWE isn't that stupid to hotshot an Angle in ring return like this, even in 2017.

If you told me just a few years ago that WWE would have Styles, Nakamura, Kevin Steen and Prince Devitt on their roster and that they would work so hard to make me care so little about it that they could even bring my favourite wrassler of all time back to active competition and I would still give absolutely no shits, I would be shocked.

But here we are.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They're not going to replace Angle with Jason Fucking Jordan guys.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If you told me just a few years ago that WWE would have Styles, Nakamura, Kevin Steen and Prince Devitt on their roster and that they would work so hard to make me care so little about it that they could even bring my favourite wrassler of all time back to active competition and I would still give absolutely no shits, I would be shocked.

But here we are.

I always find it weird that guys like Cesaro. Owens and Zayn are tearing up in the mic and at the top of the card, and people who've been fans of them for years on the Indy scene can't find any joy in their WWE success.

Like Cesaro is about to main event a PPV, and face Kurt Angle. But no, WWE sucks lol.

Angry Grimace

I always find it weird that guys like Cesaro. Owens and Zayn are tearing up in the mic and at the top of the card, and people who've been fans of them for years on the Indy scene can't find any joy in their WWE success.

Like Cesaro is about to main event a PPV, and face Kurt Angle. But no, WWE sucks lol.
Well it's not "your" guy at that point

I would rather Kurt have wrestled at Wrestlemania against AJ or Nakamura.

AJ and Finn should probably be headlining WM with a great build-up and not just randomly thrown together.

AJ vs Finn should be a moty contender if they let them at it with enough time.

As for Angle: I doubt very much that he will really be an actual participant in the TLC match. Either they write him out for most of the match (beatdown on the ramp or something) or pull a swerve with Jason Jordan. WWE isn't that stupid to hotshot an Angle in ring return like this, even in 2017.

Well, they probably feel like they need to do something big because the show was sold as the return of the Shield. Seth and Dean plus some random guy (even if they went with a more popular guy than Jordan, like putting Finn in the match) isn't gonna do it.

This is a D-Tier PPV, the freakout is probably a mix of it being last minute + worries of a really bad reaction from the live crowd + the rest of the card already being total dogshit outside of the draw of the Shield reunion.

And from a PR standpoint they're controlling the message with "omg Kurt Angle!" instead of "the one appealing thing about the event isn't happening anymore"

At least we're getting AJ vs Balor out of it.

It's not the fault of the wrestlers that WWE has found a way to build an incredible roster to bolster what has become a joyless product. To me, anyway.

Top Bottom