• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Payback 2000 |OT| Featuring The Hardy Boyz and Papa Roach

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF. First, all of the female wrestlers are attractive in some way so your point is mute. Second, Alexa is one of the best talkers in the company. Third, it's not all about the actual wrestling in the ring, it's about the characters and what the talent do with them. Alexa is a more interesting and exciting character than the other women right now.

It's a scripted show. If Bliss is more interesting it's because they make her more interesting. Bayley doesn't write her awful promos.

Vince McMahon likes blondes. Charlotte and Bliss are the most pushed women of the last year. I guess you can call it a coincidence if you like. With Charlotte you have the nepotism. With Bliss it's just the look.

gaiadyne

I've notice something in the WWE. If you have incredible mic skills, you will get pushed through the roof. Your in-ring can be mediocre at best, but if you have mic skills that gets the crowds attention everytime, you will have a bright future in the WWE. Always on top about 80% of the time. CM Punk is a prime example. He's from Chicago just like me, but even I have to admit, his in-ring wasn't exciting at all. Sometimes here and there, but not what you came to see. You came to see and hear this guy on the mic because we couldn't wait to hear which lines he was going to cross next.

The Miz counters this point. Reached the main event event then fell hard and hasn't escaped the mid card since

Tall4Life

I've notice something in the WWE. If you have incredible mic skills, you will get pushed through the roof. Your in-ring can be mediocre at best, but if you have mic skills that gets the crowds attention everytime, you will have a bright future in the WWE. Always on top about 80% of the time. CM Punk is a prime example. He's from Chicago just like me, but even I have to admit, his in-ring wasn't exciting at all. Sometimes here and there, but not what you came to see. You came to see and hear this guy on the mic because we couldn't wait to hear which lines he was going to cross next.
It's what has gotten people over the most in the WWF AND WWE. Hogan. Austin got over with his promos, not his technical wrestling. Rock. Cena. Triple H I guess. Punk.

Being a good wrestler isn't just your ability to go in the ring, it's other things too, and with American wrestling, it's really a lot to do with your personality and talking ability

It's a scripted show. If Bliss is more interesting it's because they make her more interesting. Bayley doesn't write her awful promos.

Vince McMahon likes blondes. Charlotte and Bliss are the most pushed women of the last year. I guess you can call it a coincidence if you like. With Charlotte you have the nepotism. With Bliss it's just the look.
Charlotte's the most complete package out of all the women. Alexa's mic work and character work is great and that's been something proven to be more important in WWE in recent years then ring work.

I love Bayley but the woman is not good on the mic.

Plus I feel like the 'daughter of a legend' part helps Charlotte out way more then the 'she's hot' part.

That's the point though, it ISN'T exclusively the reason. If all they did was push people based on looks the roster would be male & female models with no wrestling ability.

Remember when they put the belt on Eva Marie... Oh, wait...

Remember when Braun Strowman went solo and got pushed straight to the top because he's big and tall and Sami Zayn spent a year jobbing, even though Strowman is shit?

ShadyK54

I'm just going to chime in with my small opinion & be done, but if you gave Bayley an Alexa Bliss promo, it wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting as Alexa giving it. Alexa and her character is what makes it work.

Charlotte's the most complete package out of all the women. Alexa's mic work and character work is great and that's been something proven to be more important in WWE in recent years then ring work.

Plus I feel like the 'daughter of a legend' part helps Charlotte out way more then the 'she's hot' part.

Charlotte is really talented though. She has good matches. She has a genuine star presence. In her division she warrants the push. Bliss is a constant **1/2-*** wrestler.

Remember when Braun Strowman went solo and got pushed straight to the top because he's big and tall and Sami Zayn spent a year jobbing, even though Strowman is shit?
remember when they put the belt on the big muscly seth rollins when finn got injured while that out of shape kevin owens stayed in the midcard where he belonged

Ithil

Even at her best Bayley is not a strong mic worker, to the point that "being awkward" was just made part of her character to excuse that. Bliss gets plenty of crappy material that she delivers well.

Bliss is not a great wrestler, but she's not a terrible one either, she isn't an automatic liability like Nia Jax or Dana Brooke, who are truly awful wrestlers. We just saw tonight she was able to have a good PPV match with Bayley, who is a decent wrestler but far from the best of the women in the ring.

Her shortcomings can be covered up, and that's the important part.

ReiGun

Yup. Being a second or third gen with actual talent will carry you far in WWE.

Syder

Sami Zayn is a face. Strowman is a monster heel. Zayn was NXT Champion, he will hold titles in the WWE. Lame comparison.

Ithil

Strowman's not shit though. This isn't mid 2015, he has come a long way.

Strowman entertains me, that's all I can ask of an entertainer. Zayn is mistreated, but that's irrelevant to Strowman himself.

Wrestling isn't about in ring wrestling. It's about promos, charisma, and characters. Hogan carried the company for as long as he did because of who he was, not because he was putting on 4 or 5 star matches every week.

Toki767

Bo was champ in the really early parts of NXT unfortunately. Plus wasn't there a rumor that Vince cut his 'delusional heel who thinks he's a babyface' gimmick because he was confused by it.
Doesn't matter. Bo and Sami are currently the two worst former NXT champions on the main roster.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Charlotte is the most pushed because she is the best.

Strowman's not shit though. This isn't mid 2015, he has come a long way.

Strowman entertains me, that's all I can ask of an entertainer. Zayn is mistreated, but that's irrelevant to Strowman himself.

He's no better than he ever was. They just script him to look good. They have the capability to do that. They're doing it with him. They're doing it with Bliss. Smarks don't care cos they're heels and they're reverse marks.

Charlotte is the most pushed because she is the best.

I agree she's the best. But that's not why you're pushed in WWE.

The Miz counters this point. Reached the main event event then fell hard and hasn't escaped the mid card since

Considering back in the day he was the WWE Champion and beat Cena at Wrestlemania, he was really a boring wrestler at the time. He's still in the WWE because of his mic skills which goes well with Miz TV.

Wait are you saying Charlotte doesn't deserve to be where she is?

You don't have an argument.

Braun Strowman is no better in the ring than pretty much any guy on the roster. His positioning is due to the care they've put in to protecting and building him and that care is entirely driven by their assessment of his look. That's the point. He's a comparison point to Bliss who is handed far more opportunities than other, more talented people because of how they rate her appearance.

People don't like hearing this about heels. Say it about Reigns, who's 100x better than Strowman, and no one bats an eye.

Wait are you saying Charlotte doesn't deserve to be where she is?

Charlotte deserves to be where she is. But the reason she's actually there isn't because of her abilities. Because if WWE was driven by your actual ability Sami Zayn wouldn't be taking falls in every match. Natalyia would have been the face of her division for years.

Tagyhag

Charlotte deserves to be where she is. But the reason she's actually there isn't because of her abilities. Because if WWE was driven by your actual ability Sami Zayn wouldn't be taking falls in every match. Natalyia would have been the face of her division for years.

So are you implying that if Charlotte was as bad or worse than Eva Marie, she still would have gotten all those pushes and all those belts?

Syder

He's no better than he ever was. They just script him to look good. They have the capability to do that. They're doing it with him. They're doing it with Bliss. Smarks don't care cos they're heels and they're reverse marks.
Braun Strowman is no better in the ring than pretty much any guy on the roster. His positioning is due to the care they've put in to protecting and building him and that care is entirely driven by their assessment of his look. That's the point. He's a comparison point to Bliss who is handed far more opportunities than other, more talented people because of how they rate her appearance.

People don't like hearing this about heels. Say it about Reigns, who's 100x better than Strowman, and no one bats an eye.
Braun Strowman is already a better wrestler than Big Show & Mark Henry ever were. Think about that for a second. The fact that a guy who could've been lazy and let the company push him to the moon with barely any improvement because he's just a big guy decided to actually improve his wrestling ability, and that is worth some plaudits alone.
Sorry but this is total bullshit. Charlotte is the most complete female wrestler in the company. She's top 3 in-ring talent and top 2 on the mic. Sure, the Flair name helps a lot but she's there because she put in the work to get there.

Going by your logic, the title would just be passed between Eva Marie and Maryse.

Also, Sami Zayn is a fucking face dude. They eat pins all the time. Daniel Bryan lost a Mania match in seconds but won the Championship at another. It's called character building. Everyone knows faces get less time in the limelight.

Ric Flair

Banned
Charlotte is one of the few good things they have going in the Women's division. You can tell she has an actual passion for being good at what she does and she's improved by leaps and bounds since she first debuted

Are you arguing that the top people in WWE are there because they're better than the rest of the roster?

Is Cesaro just not good enough to hang in main event matches?
Cesaro is dull as dirt in the ring with a personality to match. Sami has the same issue, except he somehow regressed going from NXT to the main roster. Braun may have a basic moveset, but he's shown more personality than the both of them combined. It's why he and Bliss get pushed, because they get reactions. It's also why guys like Apollo Crews DON'T get pushed. Sure he's athletic and has a great look, but I've seen more charisma in a corpse than him.

Ithil

Charlotte might have gotten her start by being Flair's daughter, but she's more than earned her push in the time since then.

No, Cesaro has been over enough to justify proper pushes numerous times, he's one that just got screwed over by management repeatedly.
I like Cesar's but the fans don't seem to react to him much outside smart crowds. His look is also way too bland to be a main guy.

Wrestling isn't about in ring wrestling. It's about promos, charisma, and characters. Hogan carried the company for as long as he did because of who he was, not because he was putting on 4 or 5 star matches every week.

This is why I consider Shawn Michaels the GOAT. The man had it all. He makes bad wrestlers look good. That is rare today. Maybe AJ Styles?

Syder

This is why I consider Shawn Michaels the GOAT. The man had it all. He makes bad wrestlers look good. That is rare today. Maybe AJ Styles?
In WWE? Yeah, AJ is God tier.

AJ made Shane look good, so I'm thoroughly convinced he could carry my grandmother to a 5* match.

ElRenoRaven

So catching up now after watching the superior Wrestle Circus show. Jericho really won? Wasn't he going away for awhile after this PPV? I'm ok with this though. Means KO is the hell away from Sami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom