• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA - My Little Pony Avatar items / Pets comes to Xbox 360

Radec

XBLA thread on its way to a regular Ponies thread fast.

Now where is that youtube vid where someguy confesses to his father via Skype that he's a "Bronie".
KuGsj.gif

Dear lord I still do not understand this though. It always comes up as a reason why the show is "good for adults" but its the basest, cheapest form of adult pandering.

But it wasn't started with the idea of having a male fandom. it was just supposed to be little things to notice when watching it. one of those "hey, that's from 'The Big Lebowski', I get that reference and its funny because its in a show about ponies and i didn't expect it". it ended up pandering, but it didn't start that way and it seemed organic

If gotten passed being phased by grown ups liking MLP, what's got me scratching my head here is...are they keeping avatars for XBONE?

Coz MLP has a huge following and I think it would be pretty shitty to release these before the new console and then have them obsolete in a few months.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
But it wasn't started with the idea of having a male fandom. it was just supposed to be little things to notice when watching it. one of those "hey, that's from 'The Big Lebowski', I get that reference and its funny because its in a show about ponies and i didn't expect it". it ended up pandering, but it didn't start that way and it seemed organic

Meh, even before it became pandering it still would seem...lazy? This kind of humor is something I've had problems with for years before MLP came around, and its just kind of a collusion of two things that annoy me when people point to it as an example of "how the show can be for adults"

-GJ-

Dear lord I still do not understand this though. It always comes up as a reason why the show is "good for adults" but its the basest, cheapest form of adult pandering.
Haha, well that's pretty much the biggest reason. If you like shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, SpongeBob Squarepants etc I'd suggest you gave it a try. Those are all kids shows that keep adults in mind and kinda exploit the nostalgic feeling adults usually get when they watch cartoons from their childhood. But if you're not into cartoons at all you won't like it.

My friends didn't get why I watched a couple episodes of the show at first, but then I let them watch the first 2 episodes. Now a couple of 'em are watching the show too.

I'm not going to defend the show or whatever (it's just a cartoon, come on), but all I can say is just watch a couple episodes and then you'll either understand it or you won't, but there's not really more to it than it just being a good cartoon in a pink marshmallow coat (like the PowerPuff Girls, for instance).

LiK

Bronies being automatically mentioned whenever MLP stuff is posted is getting old. I'm sure kids will get this too.

Meh, even before it became pandering it still would seem...lazy? This kind of humor is something I've had problems with for years before MLP came around, and its just kind of a collusion of two things that annoy me when people point to it as an example of "how the show can be for adults"

well, it isn't meant for adults. things are not meant to be specifically for one group, and only that one group. its more because its reminiscent of cartoons when they didnt become "lol so RANDUM XD" like most things are now on Cartoon Network, its just an enjoyable cartoon, and some people get enraged about it, as seen in this thread

Village

well, it isn't meant for adults. things are not meant to be specifically for one group, and only that one group. its more because its reminiscent of cartoons when they didnt become "lol so RANDUM XD" like most things are now on Cartoon Network, its just an enjoyable cartoon, and some people get enraged about it, as seen in this thread

Wachu sayin bout advanture time and regular show

Wachu sayin bout advanture time and regular show

I was referring to things like Chowder, Flapjack and Amazing World of Gumball. I've heard those shows are good, but haven't gotten around to watching them. no shit was meant to be flung in their direction, just at the 3 I mentioned above

Isn`t avatars being phase-out in the new dash for Xbox One? I do not see a point in investing on something that will not carry on.

And yeah, MLP are cool, pony-gaf assemble!

Village

I was referring to things like Chowder, Flapjack and Amazing World of Gumball. I've heard those shows are good, but haven't gotten around to watching them. no shit was meant to be flung in their direction, just at the 3 I mentioned above

What the shit Gumball is amazing, what madness do you speak. Also chowder and flapjack haven't been on for years so.

rrs

How come Care Bears aren't popular like Ponies? They're basically the same thing.

Because it was a no budget show vs MLP being made by people who actually cared. The first 2 seasons are quite good and worth watching.

Also, furries.

What the shit Gumball is amazing, what madness do you speak. Also chowder and flapjack haven't been on for years so.

Those 2 shows were the reason I stopped watching cartoon network, so I've missed a few things. is it actually good? from the trailers it seemed to be unfunny, but i never gave it a shot

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Haha, well that's pretty much the biggest reason. If you like shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, SpongeBob Squarepants etc I'd suggest you gave it a try. Those are all kids shows that keep adults in mind and kinda exploit the nostalgic feeling adults usually get when they watch cartoons from their childhood. But if you're not into cartoons at all you won't like it.

Well, I mean, my favorite animated show on right now (aside from the Venture Bros) is Gravity Falls because Gravity Falls is really cleverly written, relying on a rapid-fire mix of wordplay, absurdism and self-aware satire instead of falling back on "hey remember this thing you adults like that you don't normally see in a kids show! Its amazing that we also like the things you like!"

Chowder is, IMO, an excellent example of a deliberately aimed at kids show that adults can enjoy also, not as straight up funny as GF but very well done.

...but I really wouldn't compare it to MLP at all. I mean, I've watched a handful of MLP episodes directly and probably a dozen or so in the background when I go home to visit the family, and its more like your standard "group of friends learn life lessons show". Its not bad by any means, but nothing about it has ever seemed particularly good or compelling either. There's not much to separate it from something like Arthur (except that from what I've seen Arthur in its prime had much better scripts, although to be fair it had been on the air for like eight years at that point)

-GJ-

Those 2 shows were the reason I stopped watching cartoon network, so I've missed a few things. is it actually good? from the trailers it seemed to be unfunny, but i never gave it a shot

Adventure Time and Regular Show are probably the two best new cartoons to come out in a loooooong time. At least since Spongebob started. But AT and RS are way more modern. They use a lot of internet slang etc. Also, april fools episode (kinda NSFW).

Adventure Time and Regular Show are probably the two best new cartoons to come out in a loooooong time. At least since Spongebob started. But AT and RS are way more modern. They use a lot of internet slang etc. Also, april fools episode (kinda NSFW).

tumblr_mnwx08UMNP1raq2vco1_400.gif

Flapjack was pretty good too. At least I thought so. Spongebob is still my favorite American cartoon though.

FoxSpirit

So Microsoft has jumped on the Pony bandwagon with a bunch of pony stuff to purchase in their store for your Avatar. Hoodies, Shirts, and even a pet Dash.

Store link - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Search?query=My little pony&DownloadType=AvatarItem

thumblg.png

Video demonstration - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5qeYPO5QBmU

I know this will probably get a lot of hate, but still pretty cool if your an MLP fan. Too bad I don't own an Xbox. I may have to head on over to my sister's place though to check it out for myself.
Sorry, but that's a really low quality model. I have seen far better fan works. Propably due to constraints but no thanks.

-GJ-

Well, I mean, my favorite animated show on right now (aside from the Venture Bros) is Gravity Falls because Gravity Falls is really cleverly written, relying on a rapid-fire mix of wordplay, absurdism and self-aware satire instead of falling back on "hey remember this thing you adults like that you don't normally see in a kids show! Its amazing that we also like the things you like!"

Yeah well, MLP is not nearly as good as Gravity Falls. Then again, Gravity Falls is probably the best cartoon Disney ever had on their channel.

Village

Gumball is fantastic, and the animation is amazing. It isn't just random stuff happening, sometimes it does but most of the episodes are pretty self contained plots involving some weirdness that makes sense in the context in their world. Also Its following this nice let children voice act children thing that went into full effect over the past decade with cable animation it benifits from it.
Sorry I am rambling, its good watch it.

How come Care Bears aren't popular like Ponies? They're basically the same thing.

Why is sonic still popular.

The answer to that question is the answer to your question.

Chowder is, IMO, an excellent example of a deliberately aimed at kids show that adults can enjoy also, not as straight up funny as GF but very well done.

...but I really wouldn't compare it to MLP at all.

Whenever this came on, by parents would make me change it, and I would agree with them. It was to loud and annoying to me, it wasn't funny, it was just loud. But you are right with comparing it to MLP, it really isn't a good comparison, I just meant it in the sense of cartoons that I find enjoyable.

† Tenshi †;72327726 said:
tumblr_mnwx08UMNP1raq2vco1_400.gif

Flapjack was pretty good too. At least I thought so. Spongebob is still my favorite American cartoon though.

I never could get myself to like Flapjack. I don't know, it just seemed weird for the sake of weird.

Sorry, but that's a really low quality model. I have seen far better fan works. Propably due to constraints but no thanks.

Yeah, I think those Source models are better, and those things are ghastly.

Now they're taking our Avatars? Is nothing sacred?

Dude, there are Power Rangers avatars! Who wants avatars from a show with guys in spandex fighting rubber suit monsters with giant robots?

I'm actually a fan

I'm sticking with the Mega Man avatar I have. Also, there's no Luna.

ReaperXL7

Sadly I am an expert on MLP, my daughter loves the show. Being honest though its really not that bad, I would say its one of the better kids shows on television at the moment.

I understand why people wont like this, but its cool of MS to put up more female oriented items up for Avatar use. Kind of funny they are doing this as I dont think Avatars are transferring to the Xbone are they?

Village

I suppose it's better to say that Gravity Falls is the best comedy cartoon Disney has ever had.

Even then, it's got some serious competition.

Surprising quality as of late?

Well to be fair even during the shit period of sonic there other good sonic games coming out but. ( no one rembers rush or the series for the psp)

-But quality,
-characters, ( this specifically, each MLP character is just a sonic character disguise, seriously)
-actually personalities people can project themselves onto
-People over there actually give some type of shit what fans say
-Merchandising
-The seedier side of each community

Any male on my friendlist with this nonsense is going to be deleted. Its one thing to like a little girls cartoon, but this grown men obsession is not healthy and not something I want around me, even online. Its too weird for me.

Top Bottom