• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA - My Little Pony Avatar items / Pets comes to Xbox 360

clint_ew.gif

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
People arent ripping on Bronies because they like a cartoon. They rip on them because they like a specific cartoon thats obviously for very little children. If there was a group of grown men who watched Barney all of the time and bought a bunch of Barney merchandise people would think those people were just as weird as Bronies.

Question?

Why do you believe that there exists a massive fanbase for MLP, but not Barney?

If they're basically the same, then there should exist fanbases for both, right?

cayulinson

Neo Member
If I was the leader of the world, all bronies would be sterilised. Or maybe only those that have the rule 34 of them.

But seriously who would buy this?

Im a brony, but those guys that love rule 34, are really weird...i love the show anda maybe i would buy that, but naaaah, i need more games instead add-ons or packages of MLP for Xbox

WEGGLES

Hex

Banned
People can spend post after post with their tired and same old Pony and Brony rhetoric all they want and fill up page after page but the bottom line is there are two things that matter here.

A) People are going to like what they are going to like. Ponies, anime, shooters, nintendo, xbox, sony, gangster movies, rap, country, metal, horror and countless other things. And for everyone that likes it there will be some self righteous asshat on the other side that says "gosh how the hell can someone like that" and post some gifs about it or something.

B) This is a brilliant move that will make a mint for all parties involved because fans of this stuff have proven time and time again that they will spend assloads of cash on anything and everything related to it.

Question?

Why do you believe that there exists a massive fanbase for MLP, but not Barney?

If they're basically the same, then there should exist fanbases for both, right?
I have no idea why people like what they like. It could be a fad. It could be because MLP got rebooted only a few years ago so people got in on it from the ground floor. It could be marketing. It could be a thousand different factors.

Also, your theory doesn't make much sense. I didn't say they were basically the same, I said they were comparable. Just because two things are comparable doesn't mean they will both have the same level of fandom. Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are comparable and would probably be enjoyed by the same people but Devil May Cry makes enough to warrant four sequels and Bayonetta wouldn't even have gotten one if Nintendo didn't foot the bill.
If you didn't like it, fair enough. It's not for everyone. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean no one should. I don't like death metal for instance. It just sounds like noise to me. But I don't go into threads on death metal and say to people that its stupid and that they shouldn't like it. People who like death metal obviously find something in the music that I don't, so, I don't judge.

I obviously found something in MLP that you didn't. I like the writing and humor, and the characters that inhabit the world. That doesn't make me right and you wrong. It just means that we have different tastes. I don't begrudge yours, and you shouldn't begrudge mine.
I didn't say once in this thread that anyone should'nt watch the show. I don't know where you got that from. In the very post your quoted I said people should watch whatever they want. The initial point I made was in response to someone saying he couldn't believe a person who enjoys cartoons would question why someone else would watch a cartoon, which is a false equivalence.

My only point is that people aren't judging people because they're watching a cartoon, they're judging them because of the content of the cartoon and wondering why an adult would ever have an interest in the show. The fact that it's a cartoon has no factor in the situation. Asking a question like that is like saying that just because I question people that think that Avatar is a good movie I have no right to talk because I watch other movies.

Hex

Banned
adults liking things meant for children, be it MLP or Transformers, is sad.

I think being so anal and uptight about putting metrics on what is likable and what is not likable is even more sad.
If you like something , like something who fucking cares what it is or who it is for.

Wynnebeck

Banned
LOL Have we moved onto to the, "You're an adult damnit! Stop having fun!" phase? Some of the attitudes in this thread is so intolerant and ignorant, if you were to substitute brony for homosexual or something else, it would sound scarily like today's world. No one is saying that looking at ponies in a sexual manner isn't a little off however, trying to associate everyone in a fandom with a small group of people is idiotic and everything you say should be ignored.

Some of the attitudes in this thread is so intolerant and ignorant, if you were to substitute brony for homosexual or something else, it would sound scarily like today's world.

Yeah, but we're not. We're talking about creepy cartoon pony obsession, not the plight of homosexual discrimination. What an insulting comparison.

ZealousD

I have no idea why people like what they like. It could be a fad. It could be because MLP got rebooted only a few years ago so people got in on it from the ground floor. It could be marketing. It could be a thousand different factors.

Then maybe you should better understand why its popular before you cast judgment. Criticizing something you know nothing about is stupid.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, but we're not. We're talking about creepy cartoon pony obsession, not the plight of homosexual discrimination. What an insulting comparison.
Idk I've seen that show in your avatar, it can be pretty borderline creepy at times. Little girls talking about adult themed stuff and such. Should people hate on you now or any adult that likes it? :

Hell a running gag is that the dad is mistaken for a pedophile.

The point I'm making is judging people on first glance of something they like is dumb as fuck.

Then maybe you should better understand why its popular before you cast judgment. Criticizing something you know nothing about is stupid.
I've watched it. I'm saying I don't understand or agree with the reasoning I've seen for people liking the show. Maybe you should read my posts before casting judgement and calling me stupid. Just because you have an opinion about something doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

When I said "I don't know why people like it." I didn't mean it as "I've never bothered trying to figure it out", I meant "I don't understand
why people enjoy it because I think the show is bad.". If you would have read through my posts in this thread you would have known that.

I've also watched Two And A Half Men because a lot of people watch it and think its hilarious. But upon watching it I didn't see anything more then a generic predictable sitcom. So I don't understand why people think the show is good. The same concept applies here. The only difference is I could see how a child might like MLP. I've heard people's reasoning for liking the show, I just don't agree with your assessment of it.

ZealousD

I've watched it. I'm saying I don't understand or agree with the reasoning I've seen for people liking the show. Maybe you should read my posts before casting judgement and calling me stupid. Just because you have an opinion about something doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

When I said "I don't know why people like it." I didn't mean it as "I've never bothered trying to figure it out", I meant "I don't understand
why people enjoy it because I think the show is bad.". If you would have read through my posts in this thread you would have known that.

I've also watched Two And A Half Men because a lot of people watch it and think its hilarious. But upon watching it I didn't see anything more then a generic predictable sitcom. So I don't understand why people think the show is good. The same concept applies here. The only difference is I could see how a child might like MLP. I've heard people's reasoning for liking the show, I just don't agree with your assessment of it.

There's a difference between you making an assessment of not liking the show, and equating fans as creeps who may as well watch Barney. I don't care about whether you like the show or not. The issue is you being judgmental about those who do.

JustinSaneV2

Neo Member
† Tenshi †;72319776 said:
If you listen to them, "genuinely."

Personally, I think it's a trend. It'll die like everything else in time with nary but a small cult following left.

Some "trend" considering it's three years old and still going strong.

There's a difference between you making an assessment of not liking the show, and equating fans as creeps who may as well watch Barney. I don't care about whether you like the show or not. The issue is you being judgmental about those who do.
Whether you like it or not both are shows that are obviously shows marketed at that age bracket with content I wouldn't consider much deeper then a show that is meant to entertain that age group. It has nothing to do with you being a creep. I just think it's weird that adults are entertained by that content because I don't understand how it would hold their attention for that long.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Whether you like it or not both are shows that are obviously shows marketed at that age bracket with content I wouldn't consider much deeper then a show that is meant to entertain that age group. It has nothing to do with you being a creep. I just think it's weird that adults are entertained by that content because I don't understand how it would hold their attention for that long.
Do you feel the same way about video games? As for the show being aimed at 3-4 year olds. From what I've seen of it *just the first season* a lot of life lessons in it carry on well into the teen age years *as well as this is what the ponies ages would be if the show was about humans. It's basically a slice of life show.

Greed, jealousy, love, accepting others for who they are, learning to listen to what others say and not act like you know everything, pride issues, and more. A bunch of this stuff would go over a 3 year olds head but they would still enjoy the funny cartoon ponies and dragon. The one reason I can see why some guys would enjoy the show is that spike is basically the boy of the show and well acts like one. He's very likable and gives a whole different viewpoint on situations that typically of a boy in those situations. He was obviously put into the show the way he was for the very reason of letting male viewers enjoy the show as well.

Not to mention there are a bunch of modern pop culture, internet, and other thingies sprung through out the show as easter eggs or nods to the older audiences. Hasbro may have wanted the show to be for little girls so they could sell toys, Lauren Faust didn't want that and the show we have today is the result of that.
actually I dont know how the show is today I stopped after the first season when she quit due to hasbro being pissed that guys were enjoying the show and harassing her to change things back into a show only for pushing toys for little girls

JustinSaneV2

Neo Member

Kind of like how past generations see video games?

Wynnebeck

Banned

No we are not. We are discussing this misguided discrimination against people who thoroughly enjoy a cartoon show and the disgusting sense of superiority that's quite palpable in this thread. The only thing insulting is your attitude.

Do you feel the same way about video games? As for the show being aimed at 3-4 year olds. From what I've seen of it *just the first season* a lot of life lessons in it carry on well into the teen age years *as well as this is what the ponies ages would be if the show was about humans. It's basically a slice of life show.
People who keep equating one show to all of video games is disingenuous. That would be an apt question if I said I found it weird that an adult would like ANY kind of animation or cartoon. Which I don't. I find it odd that adults would be entertained by specific cartoons with content that is obviously there to appeal to a certain age group.

There are many different types of video games for many different age groups. So no, I don't feel the same way about the entire medium of video games as I do about a limited amount of animated shows. There are also things like game mechanics that can add underlying complexity to what could be simple concepts for video games. I also don't play 99% of video games for their plot because the writing in video games is pretty bad. It doesn't matter if the game is rated E or M if the game mechanics aren't great and I'm trudging along with a terrible plot I stop playing the game because nothing about it is entertaining.
Kind of like how past generations see video games?
Read my above post. Stop equating my opinion to the opinions of people who have never played a video game in their life and cast judgement of it. I've watched the show and don't understand why an adult would like it. That's very different then trying very few or no video games and making an opinion about a whole medium based off no personal experience. You're making a false equivilence.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
People who keep equating one show to all of video games is disingenuous. That would be an apt question if I said I found it weird that an adult would like ANY kind of animation or cartoon. Which I don't. I find it odd that adults would be entertained by specific cartoons with content that is obviously there to appeal to a certain age group.

There are many different types of video games for many different age groups. So no, I don't feel the same way about the entire medium of video games as I do about a limited amount of animated shows. There are also things like game mechanics that can add underlying complexity to what could be simple concepts for video games. I also don't play 99% of video games for their plot because the writing in video games is pretty bad. It doesn't matter if the game is rated E or M if the game mechanics aren't great and I'm trudging along with a terrible plot I stop playing the game because nothing about it is entertaining.
idk I'm having trouble thinking of a game that would fit into MLP's exact category. The sims maybe? One of the Altier games would fit as well I guess as the ps3 one's are basically slice of life the rpg. Then there is the childish dumb nintendo games are for kids argument. You see where I'm going with this?

idk I'm having trouble thinking of a game that would fit into MLP's exact category. The sims maybe? One of the Altier games would fit as well I guess.
Again, video games are an entirely different situation because people play video games mainly for mechanics over plot/characterization. You can completely enjoy a video game with no plot or one that just connects game play sections like a Mario game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Again, video games are an entirely different situation because people play video games mainly for mechanics over plot/characterization. You can completely enjoy a video game with no plot or one that just connects game play sections like a Mario game.
It's a different tool of enjoyment but the stigma is still there.

The thing with the show, is that it has a strong late 90's early 2000 cartoon network vibe to it as well. Which probably hits notes with people that grew up with those cartoons.

Kusagari

There's an entire episode of the show that's basically a love letter to Star Trek and Q. It's not really surprising that some adults can get enjoyment out of the show, whether you're able to or not.

It's a different tool of enjoyment but the stigma is still there.

The thing with the show, is that it has a strong late 90's early 2000 cartoon network vibe to it as well. Which probably hits notes with people that grew up with those cartoons.
Again, you're missing my point. Its not the aesthetics of the show that's the problem. Its that the actual content of the show. I don't find the show entertaining and I don't understand how any adult would. It's not comparable to the "Nintendo is kiddy" argument because people are judging that off what it looks like and not the fact that its a well made platformer.

I also grew up as one of those late 90's/early 2000's kids and never got that vibe from the show in the episodes I watched.

There's an entire episode of the show that's basically a love letter to Star Trek and Q. It's not really surprising that some adults can get enjoyment out of the show, whether you're able to or not.

That isn't really true. There's one episode that borrows its set-up from The Trouble With Tribbles, and there's a two-parter and a standalone episode that both feature a character who's a more villainous version of Q in the body of a chimera, voiced by John de Lancie.

Again, you're missing my point. Its not the aesthetics of the show that's the problem. Its that the actual content of the show. I don't find the show entertaining and I don't understand how any adult would. It's not comparable to the "Nintendo is kiddy" argument because people are judging that off what it looks like and not the fact that its a well made platformer.

I also grew up as one of those late 90's/early 2000's kids and never got that vibe from the show in the episodes I watched.

It depends on the episode. The first two episodes, for instance, are actually pretty mediocre and don't reflect the show as well as an episode such as, say, Bridle Gossip.

Gestault

The stigma exists because the most visible elements of the self-defined Brony community are mostly those involved with an obsession-level fandom (in the sense that it occupies and intrudes on their mind and behavior) *and* the strange sexualization of the characters. People are reacting to that because it's what is seen by outsiders, and they are uncomfortable associating with it for the same reasons people don't want to associate with any number of other things.

The broadest criticism isn't "My Little Ponies is bad." It's that the group that puts strong personal emphasis on being associated with the show and the characters tends to be disconcertingly outside of its intended age range. This matters because the show's themes and interactions are structured for less developed sensibilities. It's regressive behavior which can interfere with normal socialization when it intrudes on everyday behavior. This sub-group creates an extreme barrier to a normal range of behaviors as the "hobby" becomes a greater and greater part of their personality. This extends further as some of these same people reach a point where they pervert even the intentions behind the program by integrating it into their sexuality. Obviously that's not what the program is about, and that in itself is part of the problem.

Again, that isn't to say everyone who enjoys the show or likes the style/themes in it is anything close to that, but that is the element seen by outsiders. If you can't understand why people who don't enjoy the show wouldn't want to be associated with that, you may not have the best sense of how adults interact.

No we are not. We are discussing this misguided discrimination against people who thoroughly enjoy a cartoon show and the disgusting sense of superiority that's quite palpable in this thread. The only thing insulting is your attitude.

You're comparing people making fun of adults who watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to discrimination against homosexuals. Right?

Some of the attitudes in this thread is so intolerant and ignorant, if you were to substitute brony for homosexual or something else, it would sound scarily like today's world.

Right.

Do you think that the plight of discriminated homosexuals really compares to people laughing at folks watching My Little Pony?

Idk I've seen that show in your avatar, it can be pretty borderline creepy at times. Little girls talking about adult themed stuff and such. Should people hate on you now or any adult that likes it? :

Hell a running gag is that the dad is mistaken for a pedophile.

The point I'm making is judging people on first glance of something they like is dumb as fuck.

You're right, though I haven't seen the whole run - I just thought the face was amusingly sceptical/disdainful, so I nabbed it. That's a good point, though I must stress I'm basing my own opinion of the MLP fandom on my personal experience of bronies and how they've genuinely had a harmful effect on at least two people I know in terms of reinforcing childish behaviour that they were actually advancing beyond - it absolutely isn't a blanket dismissal, like I said in my earlier post - the behaviour that I find troubling isn't universal among them. It's just frustrating to see words generally used to describe, for example, slavery, used to defend the MLP fandom from being mocked.

DeBurgo

I'm confused. Do bronies like MLP ironically or genuinely?
The irony/faux-irony/casual enjoyment phase of MLP ended sometime during/after the first season. Now the only people who watch it are little girls and adult men who take it way too seriously.

Do you think that the plight of discriminated homosexuals really compares to people laughing at folks watching My Little Pony?

I see this pop up in these threads. Someone drops a small comparison, someone freaks out and feels insulted by such a comparison being made.

Now, it's not my intention to step on any toes and offend anybody, but I think the comparison has some merit.

I'm not saying everybody who laughs, hates, and mocks bronies are echoing homophobia. I mostly refer to the likes of Rashid or thoughtsofspeaking who can't seem to come up with any reason aside from "It's wrong! You're not supposed to! Eww get it away from me!" It just sounds exactly like the same thing a conservative homophobe would say.

akira28

im still pushing for all the MLP/Brony haters to have their own community thread.

or just put up some sticky threads, it will keep all the hate condensed into a couple threads.

No I like it this way. It's like we've already beaten Zelda but now have to roam the Overworld for random encounters.

"AngryAnimeFan casts: Projected Shame.... No Effect."

The irony/faux-irony/casual enjoyment phase of MLP ended sometime during/after the first season. Now the only people who watch it are little girls and adult men who take it way too seriously.

Some people like strong layups, I happen to like the rainbow boom.

If Mickeysoft really wanted my money, they'd support and release Mane6+DLC.

I see this pop up in these threads. Someone drops a small comparison, someone freaks out and feels insulted by such a comparison being made.

Now, it's not my intention to step on any toes and offend anybody, but I think the comparison has some merit.

I'm not saying everybody who laughs, hates, and mocks bronies are echoing homophobia. I mostly refer to the likes of Rashid or thoughtsofspeaking who can't seem to come up with any reason aside from "It's wrong! You're not supposed to! Eww get it away from me!" It just sounds exactly like the same thing a conservative homophobe would say.

Thanks for your reply. I agree it's a knee-jerk reaction, and I can see that the language is superficially similar. I don't think the gravity of the two issues compares in the slightest, and that's why it offends. But, I appreciate the reasoned comments.

Gestault

The dynamics of the social backlash to homosexuality, and its history of hate/violence/discrimination isn't comparable to reactions to Brony culture, and yes, it's inappropriately insulting to suggest it is. If you need it explained to you, you may not have lived long enough to recognize the differences in the acts and motivations for each, or might be emotionally invested in a way that you're not able to see what should be a clear distinction.

Acerac

Banned
Thanks for your reply. I agree it's a knee-jerk reaction, and I can see that the language is superficially similar. I don't think the gravity of the two issues compares in the slightest, and that's why it offends. But, I appreciate the reasoned comments.
The reason I'm so quick to rush to the defense of bronies (and many other unpopular groups) is because the methods used to bash them is similar to what I heard when I was young to bash gays. In both cases it is always bullshit from people who have nothing positive to contribute and only want to tear people down to make themselves feel better.

The "plight" of bronies is laughable compared to what gays deal with. Doesn't mean that people can't still call out the douchebags who use the same fallacious reasoning to demonize either.

If you need it explained to you,

I do actually. The impression that I get from your post is "A little online discrimination is NOTHING compared to the violence, hate crime, and discrimination homesexuals have gone through. To equate it is offensive"

Is that right? If so, that's fine I can agree with that. But just because MLP hate doesn't have the same weight and tragic history of homophobia, I don't think it's any "less bad".

Dumb, shallow hate is dumb, shallow hate in my mind.

EDIT: I think Acerac has the same idea.

Xzeon

Banned
i want to like, go into Ponytown, and skin all the ponies skin off, so i can wear it all.

so i can BE a true princess, princess Twilight. the underside of fresh skin is soft, it will be so soft.

i can rub and polish the horn and maybe the magic will flow into me, and i can use the unicorn magic to slaughter all the people on Gaf that HATES PONIES and kill everyone in highschool who hates ponies!!!

Raritys coat is so fabulous, it will look great draped over my dirty human form.

the colors and splendor of Ponytown must smell like sugar and waffles, cant you just FEEL like you want to be there?

so much love, and magic and friendship. no bills or taxes or probation officers or step dads with cold hands.

everynight i cry myself to sleep, praying to Buddha, God, Allah and Carl Sagan that they will use their cosmic powers to teleport me into Equestria!

but for now i have my toys, i brush them and cuddle them, and i got my Target exclusive blankie that keeps me warm in the basement.

oh gosh, Equestria Girls filled my head with so many fantasies. why cant that mirror be real? is Hasbro deliberately trolling its most faithful fans?

Dear NeoGaf, please understand my persecution, one day we will all be as one, under the guidance of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

but not Princess Cadence, shes a dirty little cunt that should be crucified.

I Am Brony! Hear Me Neigh!

Top Bottom