• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA - My Little Pony Avatar items / Pets comes to Xbox 360

$200

Banned
IS THERE NO GOD!!!!!!

300015__safe_image2Bmacro_crying_barely2Bpony2Brelated_haters2Bgonna2Bhate_first2Bworld2Bproblems_zps82a665bd.png

yay a Brony bashing circlejerk thread on Gaming side for once!

its about time.

Actually most people here have been quite nice.

Xzeon

Banned
im still pushing for all the MLP/Brony haters to have their own community thread.

or just put up some sticky threads, it will keep all the hate condensed into a couple threads.

I actually respect ThoughtsOfSpeaking's stand on the subject, but I think his view on "brony culture" is a bit misguided. It's really not about sexualizing ponies. But those fans exist in everything.

Also, I am kinda disappointed in the Brony Defense Force for not trying to clarify that instead of choosing a fail ass attempt of getting him to contradict himself. What happened to all the tolerance and shit we've been taught? Am I the only one who paid attention?!! lol

Zelias

Banned
Meh, if only it was Rarity pet. And if only I gave a shit about avatar stuff in the first place.

Still it's all been worth it just to see some of the responses in this thread. Is this always how MLP is, uh, 'discussed' outside of the community thread?

FoxSpirit

I, ironically, hate the dismissal of valid criticism and concern as "haters".
Haha, only it isn't valid. That I watch MLP is not a defining trait of my personality.

Of course, it gives a hint at my personality but to what exactly varies from individual to individual. Various people are drawn to the same thing for different reasons. To assume that YOU know exactly what drives all of them is presumptuous.

Xzeon

Banned
Meh, if only it was Rarity pet. And if only I gave a shit about avatar stuff in the first place.

Still it's all been worth it just to see some of the responses in this thread. Is this always how MLP is, uh, 'discussed' outside of the community thread?

every thread is the same, yes.

PaulloDEC

Pretty much. After a while it actually becomes kinda fun.

Agreed. (I haven't seen Adventure Time or Pacific Rim though.)

You should definitely check out Adventure Time, it's a lot of fun.

Xzeon

Banned
I feel like every MLP thread should just have EviLore's rant at the top of them. It covers why most people are bothered so much by the fandom.

this one?

Pathetic, socially awkward, seldom bathing basement virgins who have completely given up on life and any semblance of adulthood or even humanity in order to immerse in and identify as part of a sexualized magic little girl-horse fandom.

Jay Sosa

Finally.

Pathetic, socially awkward, seldom bathing basement virgins who have completely given up on life and any semblance of adulthood or even humanity in order to immerse in and identify as part of a sexualized magic little girl-horse fandom.

Describes me to a t.

I don't think that liking MLP is necessarily creepy, but adults liking things meant for children, be it MLP or Transformers, is sad.

How so?

Everyone is ok with liking Spongebob or Adventure Time but strangely everyone is up in arms at the slightest mentions of those horseys. I bet there are just as many weirds ass AT fans as there are MLP fans.

Pretty much. After a while it actually becomes kinda fun.

You should definitely check out Adventure Time, it's a lot of fun.

Maybe I will. Seems like Adventure Time is aimed at much older kids than MLP. Netflix claims that Aventure Time is recommended for ages 11 to 12 and MLP is recommended for ages 2 to 4.

NZNova

In this thread, people with anime and video game avatars hate on other people who like a cartoon, hilarity ensues. Let's all sing the cognitive dissonance song.

Seriously though, releasing MLP items onto XBL is pretty hilarious. XBL is, after all, one of the most loving and tolerant communities on the face of the earth.

i too hate this, but i don't see how it applies here with all these invalid criticisms
In all honesty I can't disagree with his sentiment that you would feel uncomfortable associating with certain people who let a fandom become more of a fetish and define who they are as a person than just a hobby or passing interest like any other show/game/series. It's just more obvious when it's something like... well, a show originally made for little girls. :V

It's the same reason why shit like the I'M A GAMER mentality is so obnoxious to me.

In this thread, people with anime and video game avatars hate on other people who like a cartoon, hilarity ensues. Let's all sing the cognitive dissonance song.

Seriously though, releasing MLP items onto XBL is pretty hilarious. XBL is, after all, one of the most loving and tolerant communities on the face of the earth.

Are these amine and video games aimed at 2 year olds, like MLP is though?

Q4TYEwa.png

IrishNinja

In all honesty I can't disagree with his sentiment that you would feel uncomfortable associating with certain people who let a fandom become more of a fetish and define who they are as a person than just a hobby or passing interest like any other show/game/series. It's just more obvious when it's something like... well, a show originally made for little girls. :V

It's the same reason why shit like the I'M A GAMER mentality is so obnoxious to me.

well, sure...you're defining an obsession, though. that's universally creepy. i don't think a lot've the more judgmental comments in this thread so far are making that distinction, though.

PaulloDEC

Maybe I will. Seems like Adventure Time is aimed at much older kids than MLP. Netflix claims that Aventure Time is recommended for ages 11 to 12 and MLP is recommended for ages 2 to 4.

Adventure Time is pretty much the definition of an all-ages cartoon. Wacky and silly enough to keep the kids entertained, weird and witty enough to keep adults coming back.

MLP is a lot less unpredictable with a more traditional approach to storytelling. I've often described it as being like a Disney film with the corners rounded off, so imagine that age bracket however you like.

Q4TYEwa.png

Honestly, I'd have said any show with more complexity than a pattern of colourful lights and loud noises would be wasted on the under 4 crowd.

Mengetsu

I am a brony. I like a cartoon show made for little girls. Why? Because its got good characters, its pretty funny, its well written and well animated and the fans produce a lot of cool content. The shows not perfect, and there are other shows I like more, but its still pretty good.

Do I find ponies sexy? No, they're cute, but not sexy.

Do I obsess on ponies over everything else? No, I obsess over a lot of things, video games, anime, manga, american cartoons.

Am I a big loser? Yeah, but I was like that long before I ever heard of mlp. :p

Are there people who find ponies sexy or who obsess over ponies too much? Of course, but I don't care, as long as they aren't hurting anyone they can live however they like, as can I. Are these people the vast majority of bronies? Dunno, I ain't all knowing.

If you think I'm creepy because I like a cartoon show, go right ahead. I don't care what some anonymous guy who doesn't even know me thinks. I'm certainly not going to change what I like because of what others think, and neither should anyone else.

Was about to make my statement but I see you've already done so. Good show. This is all that needs to be said honestly. I'm no brony but everyone has there thing as long as someone's not getting hurt by it I don't see a problem with it.

well, sure...you're defining an obsession, though. that's universally creepy. i don't think a lot've the more judgmental comments in this thread so far are making that distinction, though.
Oh yeah I agree with that last comment, but I'm pretty sure 'obsessive' types was what ThoughtsOfSpeaking was going for in his original argument.

I'm hardly going to bother researching into something this obscure, but just guessing it'd seem MLP draws that derision so much more that similar cases like AT because obsessive types are far easier to make out when they're as far removed from the shows original demographic as MLP's are. That last comment isn't supposed to be a backhanded insult either mind you. It's a show I don't like at all but I'm cool with other people liking it or doing whatever the hell in their rooms if my face isn't being rubbed into it, like with anything else entertainment-related.

NZNova

Q4TYEwa.png

I don't know, I don't recognise most of them. I just find people wearing one cartoon on their posts hassling people who like another cartoon to be kinda weird, that's all. I don't give a shit about MLP specifically, I just find the marginalisation of this particular group by video game people, a group that has been historically marginalised by society at large, to be a little weird. It's nothing new, it's just like the hating on furries which I remember seeing back in the early 90s. Regardless, any time you go anywhere near the cesspool that is XBL you're bound to get a torrent of abuse from stupid kids no matter who you are or what you say, so I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make to rock on up wearing some pony outfit on your avatar. I'm a little surprised by the intolerance on GAF though, to be honest.

judhudson

This thread...sure went places...lol.

I am a brony. I like a cartoon show made for little girls. Why? Because its got good characters, its pretty funny, its well written and well animated and the fans produce a lot of cool content. The shows not perfect, and there are other shows I like more, but its still pretty good.

Do I find ponies sexy? No, they're cute, but not sexy.

Do I obsess on ponies over everything else? No, I obsess over a lot of things, video games, anime, manga, american cartoons.

Am I a big loser? Yeah, but I was like that long before I ever heard of mlp. :p

Are there people who find ponies sexy or who obsess over ponies too much? Of course, but I don't care, as long as they aren't hurting anyone they can live however they like, as can I. Are these people the vast majority of bronies? Dunno, I ain't all knowing.

If you think I'm creepy because I like a cartoon show, go right ahead. I don't care what some anonymous guy who doesn't even know me thinks. I'm certainly not going to change what I like because of what others think, and neither should anyone else.

God job, junior. Pretty much everything I wanted to say and spot on.

7563.Luna_5F00_clap_2D002800_n1313525544596_2900_.gif

Haha, only it isn't valid. That I watch MLP is not a defining trait of my personality.

Of course, it gives a hint at my personality but to what exactly varies from individual to individual. Various people are drawn to the same thing for different reasons. To assume that YOU know exactly what drives all of them is presumptuous.

The criticism generally levelled at MLP obsessives (not you, specifically!) is valid, I think. To say to someone "for god's sake, you're an adult" is a valid reaction. From what I've seen the MLP community contains a lot of the kind of people who refuse to become adults due to some misplaced, bizarre idea that doing so is a betrayal of a fantasy of their youth, one which is entirely self-cultivated. This isn't exclusive - BronyGAF seems to be pretty well balanced - but, like the Sonic series, there's a lot of pretty demented, regressive behaviour that I think is actively harmful.

Not a broad stroke there, not a personal attack, just an observation, really.

I don't know, I don't recognise most of them. I just find people wearing one cartoon on their posts hassling people who like another cartoon to be kinda weird, that's all. I don't give a shit about MLP specifically, I just find the marginalisation of this particular group by video game people, a group that has been historically marginalised by society at large, to be a little weird. It's nothing new, it's just like the hating on furries which I remember seeing back in the early 90s. Regardless, any time you go anywhere near the cesspool that is XBL you're bound to get a torrent of abuse from stupid kids no matter who you are or what you say, so I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make to rock on up wearing some pony outfit on your avatar. I'm a little surprised by the intolerance on GAF though, to be honest.
People arent ripping on Bronies because they like a cartoon. They rip on them because they like a specific cartoon thats obviously for very little children. If there was a group of grown men who watched Barney all of the time and bought a bunch of Barney merchandise people would think those people were just as weird as Bronies.

PaulloDEC

People arent ripping on Bronies because they like a cartoon. They rip on them because they like a specific cartoon thats obviously for very little children. If there was a group of grown men who watched Barney all of the time and bought a bunch of Barney merchandise people would think those people were just as weird as Bronies.

I'd like to post the following deviantART exchange between Lauren Faust and a commenter, partly because it's relevant and partly because Lauren is a badass:

Junkie121 posted:
May I ask how it feels to know that a show you've created for little girls is obsessed over by sexually repressed manchildren?

Lauren Faust replied:
Honestly??

I feel that people who call them that are ignorant a-holes. That's how I feel.

I didn't create this show for little girls, I created it for little girls and their parents --- including male parents. It only stands to reason that adult animation fans without children may like it, too.

The belief that boys shouldn't be interested in girl things is the main reason there's hardly anything decent for girls in animation --- or almost any media, for that matter. It's a backwards, sexist, outdated attitude.

I'd like to post the following deviantART exchange between Lauren Faust and a commenter, partly because it's relevant and partly because Lauren is a badass:
It doesn't just have to do with the fact that they're men. I've watched a couple episodes and can say that I don't know how this show holds the attention of any adult. Just because the creator says she made the show to market to a wider range then just little kids doesn't mean that I have to think she did a good job of it.

Sesame Street has had guest appearances by celebrities I like, and if I had a kid and was watching Sesame Street with them it'd be cool to go "Oh hey, Paul Rudd is on Sesame Street, thats cool.". But that doesn't mean I'd sit around watching Sesame Street in my free time.

Dang0

It doesn't just have to do with the fact that they're men. I've watched a couple episodes and can say that I don't know how this show holds the attention of any adult. Just because the creator says she made the show to market to a wider range then just little kids doesn't mean that I have to think she did a good job of it.

Sesame Street has had guest appearances by celebrities I like, and if I had a kid and was watching Sesame Street with them it'd be cool to go "Oh hey, Paul Rudd is on Sesame Street, thats cool.". But that doesn't mean I'd sit around watching Sesame Street in my free time.

I think your underestimating the age bracket for this show. Don't get me wrong, its still a kid show but if you watch it you'll see its more in the Spongebob or Adventure Time age group then the Barney or Sesame Street one.

And even if it were closer to those shows, what difference does it make? If someone likes something, what does age have to do with anything. If someone I knew liked Teletubbies, I might find it silly, but I wouldn't judge them for it. If they want to watch it, more power to them.

-PXG-

I find the whole pony obsession to be weird as hell, but whatever. There are stranger things one could like. To each his own. It's not like anyone is getting hurt anyway.

I'd buy the avatar outfit for the irony, shits and giggles and to just annoy the hell out people on my FL

Akira_83

Banned
I think your underestimating the age bracket for this show. Don't get me wrong, its still a kid show but if you watch it you'll see its more in the Spongebob or Adventure Time age group then the Barney or Sesame Street one.

And even if it were closer to those shows, what difference does it make? If someone likes something, what does age have to do with anything. If someone I knew liked Teletubbies, I might find it silly, but I wouldn't judge them for it. If they want to watch it, more power to them.

if someone you knew liked teletubbies you SHOULD judge them for it

PaulloDEC

You don't, of course. I just thought it was a nice quote to use in regards to the discussion of the age bracket, especially the earlier "ages 2 - 4" example from Netflix. I imagine most people aren't aware that moving the show away from the headache-inducing cliché of "entertainment for girls" and towards a show that could be more widely enjoyed was a key part of Faust's philosophy.

Q4TYEwa.png

K-On!, for example is aimed at young japanese girls, but since it's japanese it's got that geek cred and the nerd community doesn't actively persecute fellow nerds who find themselves enjoying it.

The nerd hierarchy definitely is out there in full force.

I have watched it, and I don't feel that its in the same age bracket as those shows.

And I never said Bronies shouldn't watch the show. They can obviously do whatever they want. But that doesn't mean I have to understand why they'd enjoy it or hang out with people who would want to obsess over something I find very annoying and boring. I wouldn't want to have to sit around listening to someone describe the merits of Teletubbies either.
You don't, of course. I just thought it was a nice quote to use in regards to the discussion of the age bracket, especially the earlier "ages 2 - 4" example from Netflix. I imagine most people aren't aware that moving the show away from the headache-inducing cliché of "entertainment for girls" and towards a show that could be more widely enjoyed was a key part of Faust's philosophy.
Granted I did watch the show a couple years back when I made my judgment on it, so it very well could have evolved, but it never was just an issue of it being "a show for girls". I just found it to be a boring show all around and didn't understand why adults would like it, with a bunch of them straight up obsessing over it. The obsess over it part has nothing to do with MLP. I think its really annoying when a person obsesses themselves with anything to the point of it engulfing their personality.

PaulloDEC

I have watched it, and I don't feel that its in the same age bracket as those shows.

It's a tricky bracket to define. If you're interested, there's a segment in a recently released fan documentary that tracks the progress of the franchise from the beginning up to the present day. The differences between the current gen and even the next most recent are very, very clear. Generation 3 fits the "show for little girls" description far better than Gen 4 ever has.

Granted I did watch the show a couple years back when I made my judgment on it, so it very well could have evolved, but it never was just an issue of it being "a show for girls". I just found it to be a boring show all around and didn't understand why adults would like it, with a bunch of them straight up obsessing over it. The obsess over it part has nothing to do with MLP. I think its really annoying when a person obsesses themselves with anything to the point of it engulfing their personality.

I wouldn't say the show has changed much, so if you weren't keen when you first watched I don't imagine you'd think any differently now. As you say, the issue people tend to have is with obsession itself rather than the subject of the obsession.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Any grown man. Which suggests I must know them personally to know if they havent bought it for their kids/arent female/arent taking the piss.

Ask for clarification next time.

So, by that logic: Not you?

OH NOES! SOMEONE HAS A TERRIBLY ANIMATED AND RENDERED PONY ON MY FRIENDS LIST! GET IT AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</13 year old voice-crack>

LiK

I don't think that liking MLP is necessarily creepy, but adults liking things meant for children, be it MLP or Transformers, is sad.

That is incredibly close-minded. So you're saying adults can't enjoy Saturday morning cartoons at all? Cuz most are technically for kids. And what about adults who like games like Pokemon which are aimed specifically for children? Are they sad too? Entertainment is entertainment.

Dang0

And I never said Bronies shouldn't watch the show. They can obviously do whatever they want. But that doesn't mean I have to understand why they'd enjoy it or hang out with people who would want to obsess over something I find very annoying and boring. I wouldn't want to have to sit around listening to someone describe the merits of Teletubbies either.

If you didn't like it, fair enough. It's not for everyone. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean no one should. I don't like death metal for instance. It just sounds like noise to me. But I don't go into threads on death metal and say to people that its stupid and that they shouldn't like it. People who like death metal obviously find something in the music that I don't, so, I don't judge.

I obviously found something in MLP that you didn't. I like the writing and humor, and the characters that inhabit the world. That doesn't make me right and you wrong. It just means that we have different tastes. I don't begrudge yours, and you shouldn't begrudge mine.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
And Im not saying anyone shouldnt be a brony. Do what you like. Its your business. But I just dont want it around me. Simples.

Why? Are you afraid that you're going to catch some kind of brony disease or something?

"ALL PONIES MUST REMAIN 50FT AWAY FROM ME FOR MY OWN SAFETY. MY IMMUNE SYSTEM IS NOT EQUIPPED TO HANDLE YOUR COOTIES"

Top Bottom