• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One April Update Preview Now LIVE - Friend Online Notifications are back(soon)!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It amazes me how much has flipped since last generation. People used to lament monthly updates. Now some feel if we aren't getting updates every few weeks, companies are just fucking off.

It amazes me how much has flipped since last generation. People used to lament monthly updates. Now some feel if we aren't getting updates every few weeks, companies are just fucking off.
Updates were only really disruptive on the PS3. They took too damn long and you couldn't do anything while you waited, and even after the download you'd have another million years for an install or to actually process the update, and then the reboot, with more waiting. This was for firmware updates and game updates, and if you hadn't used the console in a couple of months you had to wait one evening's worth of playtime just to catch up on those updates.

Now that things are more seamless and quick there's no reason not to push out more frequent, smaller updates, if they can be adequately tested. At least in this post-release period where some core functionality is still missing. Once things get more settled updates can be spaced out further apart.

tuna_love

Banned
It is for me as well.

I've got a friend in Titanfall and I tried to join him. I can join game, but not join party. So I assume he's not in a party, and instead I just send him a party invite. (not game, just party) He didn't get the invite, so he invites me, and I tell it to "join party and game." It brings me into the party, but not into the game. I see green circles next to both our names, but we can't hear eachother. After a minute or two, my party window tells me, "Try again later. Due to network limitations, you can't join party chat right now. (0x807d0106)"

I've been getting this every time I try to join or create a party. I've yet to successfully join a party since the March update. It went from confusingly complicated before the update, to 100% broken for me.

In settings, network check your NAT settings

ryan299

The fall update should be bringing back the guide. The guide would solve a lot of the problems people say they're having even though I find the UI easy to navigate. Just have the guide pop open like a snapped app but be quicker.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Updates were only really disruptive on the PS3. They took too damn long and you couldn't do anything while you waited, and even after the download you'd have another million years for an install or to actually process the update, and then the reboot, with more waiting. This was for firmware updates and game updates, and if you hadn't used the console in a couple of months you had to wait one evening's worth of playtime just to catch up on those updates.

Now that things are more seamless and quick there's no reason not to push out more frequent, smaller updates, if they can be adequately tested. At least in this post-release period where some core functionality is still missing. Once things get more settled updates can be spaced out further apart.

It's true....I just find it humorous how people are now wanting monthly updates.

Sipheren

Banned
You guys know if you change the location to the USA it works right? And has worked from launch. And you get games for US prices. It's a win-win

I did that but it was screwing up things, like my pinned apps wouldn't load and a few of the apps I downloaded wouldn't work.

I rather just use it as it's meant to be used, it's not that much harder to just turn it on with the controller.

In settings, network check your NAT settings

OOPS, I was forwarding the ports to 192.168.1.115, but had the Xbox One's IP set to 192.168.1.15.

Still, I and another friend were both having problems chatting with the same 3rd party, but not eachother. I guess I need to check with the 3rd person and see what his settings are. This 3rd person is who I do 99% of my Xbox One gaming with, so if there was an issue specifically between him and I, that's how I was led to believe the whole thing was messed up.

E92 M3

I'm glad the friend notifications are back, but I really wish there is an option to turn off the notifications when I'm using certain apps, specially when I'm watching TV of usinig Netflix. In Xbox 360 it was really distracting when these notifications showed up while I was watching a movie - it actually covered up the subtitles and my family was always complaining about it.

If you set your status to "Busy" no notifications popped up.

I'm sure on the One they will have the option to be disabled in some form.

VanWinkle

It's true....I just find it humorous how people are now wanting monthly updates.

I think the issue was that most of the updates were just "system stability". Nobody is going to be upset over feature-adding firmware updates. The other side of complainers were those that didn't turn their PS3 on very often so every time they DID, there was an update to do.

You guys are giving them credit for shit that should have been there in the first place. All they had to do was take the 360 OS and improve the speed and they couldn't even do that right. They get 0 credit from me. The X1 OS is awful.

Friction

You guys are giving them credit for shit that should have been there in the first place. All they had to do was take the 360 OS and improve the speed and they couldn't even do that right. They get 0 credit from me. The X1 OS is awful.

The community gave them their shit on the xbox forums (me included) for the state of the OS at launch and they are listening and doing something about it. I give them props for that.

RedStep

There's a huge difference between "Update required - Security Enhancements" every month and "Here are the 6 things we're adding this month". The ROI is just a little bit better.

I think I need to make a post in there about how important the option was for me to store that I prefer inverted controls in all my games.

It was so fantastic to pop a game in and seriously start without having to stop off at the options menu to invert my controls or wait for the in-game tutorial.

Metzhara

The "Sound Mixer" in Display & Sound is pretty sweet too. Also pretty cool they have a similar thing for the "Chat Mixer" so your audio isn't auto reduced if you don't want it to be. Nice.

I was surprised to see that I was invited to the preview update again , now I know why

Good to see that MS tries to improve the OS continuously

I personally don't care about friend notifications but I know of that was wanted and good on ms to be on top of it. I do care about video recording quality. Surprised more people aren't psyched about that. That's the best news imo.

And goddamn Sony is so slowwwwwwwwwwww with updates. It took them half a year to get ps1 games on the vita and they had a working emulator on the vastly inferior psp hardware. Frustrating.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It is for me as well.

I've got a friend in Titanfall and I tried to join him. I can join game, but not join party. So I assume he's not in a party, and instead I just send him a party invite. (not game, just party) He didn't get the invite, so he invites me, and I tell it to "join party and game." It brings me into the party, but not into the game. I see green circles next to both our names, but we can't hear eachother. After a minute or two, my party window tells me, "Try again later. Due to network limitations, you can't join party chat right now. (0x807d0106)"

I've been getting this every time I try to join or create a party. I've yet to successfully join a party since the March update. It went from confusingly complicated before the update, to 100% broken for me.

Nat issue?

I personally don't care about friend notifications but I know of that was wanted and good on ms to be on top of it. I do care about video recording quality. Surprised more people aren't psyched about that. That's the best news imo.

And goddamn Sony is so slowwwwwwwwwwww with updates. It took them half a year to get ps1 games on the vita and they had a working emulator on the vastly inferior psp hardware. Frustrating.

DVR footage quality was already pretty great if you watched through Skydrive. It is good that they've improved it further, but it wasn't really all that bad to begin with.

abracadaver

They need to add a notification when the batteries of the pad are almost empty or make the pad blink again like on 360. The shitty symbol they added doesnt help at all to prevent me from noticing my pad going to turn of soon.

Also the whole OS needs to be a lot faster and more responsive. The friend lists and switching between apps is so annoying to use because of the lag

They need to add a notification when the batteries of the pad are almost empty or make the pad blink again like on 360. The shitty symbol they added doesnt help at all to prevent me from noticing my pad going to turn of soon.

Also the whole OS needs to be a lot faster and more responsive. The friend lists and switching between apps is so annoying to use because of the lag

The rumble stops working when your batteries are low, but yeah, they need to add the flashing light back in.

Alx

DVR footage quality was already pretty great if you watched through Skydrive. It is good that they've improved it further, but it wasn't really all that bad to begin with.

It depends on the game though, in a fast moving one like Titanfall there can be many artifacts... it will always happen since more motion = more data, but any improvement on encoding is always welcome.

It depends on the game though, in a fast moving one like Titanfall there can be many artifacts... it will always happen since more motion = more data, but any improvement on encoding is always welcome.

I haven't seen any DVR captured TF footage yet. Is it really that bad? Any examples?

Recall

It's crazy how MS will have revamped the Game+App Library and Storage Management, Friends App, the Party System, and changed the way Notifications worked in less than 6 months.

Of course the way it worked at launch was bullshit, but still, it's impressive none-the-less.

It is impressive that it took 6 months to partially fix a broken portion of the UI? I'm just glad we live in a world of updates and ways to fix it. Would have been nice if it was good from the get go but I'm just acting all Internet entitled.

def sim

Well, it turns out I can't see notifications if no one on my friends list is online. Strange! ;)

I'll wait until much later on.

furious

Banned
Sony's response via System Update 1.62:

Firmware 1.62 said:
Operation quality during use of some PlayStation®4 format software has been improved.

No stability? Shame.

Can't post new thread, here seems good.

~~Hasan~~

man, MS is killing it lately with the good updates. this is great news.

main while @ Sony :

Thorn_Tree_Sossusvlei_Namib_Desert_Namibia_Luca_Galuzzi_2004a.JPG

good Job MS team

Lucifon

I'm loving how fast these updates are coming. Since I've had my PS4 I've had one update that I know of (not including the initial one), which added support for their new headset (yay). In that same time I've seen 2 updates for my Xbone. Both of which have really improved my enjoyment of the system. Hoping both platforms adopt this model of regular updates, it's great.

B4D1E

•Game and app saves and updates. A game save progress bar will show you the status of your game saves. You will also be able to easily tell what games and apps are being updated or have been updated recently.

Does that mean that we'll get patches notes for games and apps? Or at least a version number, so we can track it down on the internet.

I think the reason why Microsoft is listening to the community and giving updates on a regular basis, is to balance with all the constant (useless IMO) bashing about the non-stop comparison of sub-1080p games with PS4. At least they are doing something right.

Top Bottom