• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Crimson Dragon is 50% off, yay or nay?
I'm a big fan of PDOorta, but what little I watched of CD didn't inspire me with confidence, the levels seem open-ish and barren instead of tightly crafted for the on-rails gameplay and the jaw-breaking gfx of PDO are nowhere to be seen... also your dragon seem awkwardly placed on the (left) edge of the screen. Again, only judgin' from Upload's videos, so not enough to form a rounded opinion. I don't even know how the controls work and if the score-based mechanics are engaging enough.

...guys, what do you say?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I'm a big fan of PDOorta, but what little I watched of CD didn't inspire me with confidence, the levels seem open-ish and barren instead of tightly crafted for the on-rails gameplay and the jaw-breaking gfx of PDO are nowhere to be seen... also your dragon seem awkwardly placed on the (left) edge of the screen. Again, only judgin' from Upload's videos, so not enough to form a rounded opinion. I don't even know how the controls work and if the score-based mechanics are engaging enough.

You will find enough for $10, but as a huge PDO, it left me disappointed.

EBE

its decent. a 7/10 maybe? replaying levels for medals and a higher score without or without an ai companion is kind of fun. i havent played it in a month or two so i dont know if there have been any substantial updates that have changed the game

Dash Kappei

You will find enough for $10, but as a huge PDO, it left me disappointed.

Uhmmm... doesn't give me much confidence :p
Also yeah of course I'll judge a $60 game with more caution than spending only ten bucks on another, but most of the time a game to me is just worth my time or not, I have a huuuuuge backlog so I'm not gonna play a game unless I'll enjoy it. Doesn't need to be a masterpiece necessarily, I've loved plenty of games I'd rate as 7/10, but a mediocre game won't be part of my playtime just 'cause it was cheap.

its decent. a 7/10 maybe? replaying levels for medals and a higher score without or without an ai companion is kind of fun. i havent played it in a month or two so i dont know if there have been any substantial updates that have changed the game

So, what does the game do good? What are its best qualities and what about my doubts (open levels, slow, bland and boring worlds, controls...)?

Thanks to whoever feels like sharing impressions.
I'll dabble into the game's OT later on, at the moment I prefer hearing the thoughts of people who might be less attached to the game.

I enjoyed it. Don't expect it to be as good or even close to Orta though. It's still a good game, play on normal and don't buy any gems. You'll earn more than enough credits and gems throughout the game to buy everything.

So is CD the only game on sale? I thought both Forza and DR3 were also going on sale too?

for ten bucks you can't go wrong, BUT, what if it's one of the upcoming GwG titles in the next months? (which seems to be most likely)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, what does the game do good? What are its best qualities and what about my doubts (open levels, slow, bland and boring worlds, controls...)?

Thanks to whoever feels like sharing impressions.
I'll dabble into the game's OT later on, at the moment I prefer hearing the thoughts of people who might be less attached to the game.

One of the things the game does well... is existing in the first place :) I think the best qualities are actually the time-based missions, and the fact they're all nice, decently designed pieces. In that way, I think it clearly presents the truth about STGs to a wider audience: they're less about direct skill in play, and more about memorization, pattern recognition, and knowing how to maintain you power-ups or score chains.

I don't find the worlds boring at all. Most of it reminds me of Dreamcast era stuff, in that it's nice and lush, and set very thematically. Good forest, good fire caves, underground caverns, etc.

There's no alt paths like classic PD, but the stages actually occasionally get presented as such if one pays attention (new stages feed into old ones, some enemies are in a different part of pre-established areas, etc.)

Most of the OT came to the "the game feels better as you level up", in regards to the controls. It's not classic PD, but the game knows how it moves, and will make enemy shot speed and bullet spread work with this in mind. Use of the items the game drops to "customize your play" is effective enough to actually be felt, unlike some games with such systems.

I think the game did a nice job with it's items and leveling, and weapon power ups. Good visual feedback, and you could easily feel yourself actually getting stronger as you went back through stages. It's satisfying to fight a wave of enemies you had a hard time with before, and then to return stronger, either able to suddenly take them out in what seems "normal" time, or to even completely obliterate them, leaving you to peacefully fly along for a few moments, and admire the very eastern gaming-style scenery.

Most else of what I'd have to say about it, I said months ago in the OT, so I won't go into it again. There's some things I'd love to see changed or refined, but as a launch game on new hardware, and especially for a fraction of what they old games were selling for upon their release, I enjoyed it. If given a chance to refine the base over a sequel or 2, I think it could easily reclaim the prior glory of older PD's, while also adding a lot of modern gaming expectations onto the experience. I'm happy to have supported it as one of my first purchases on the system, and I hope that enables them to do more with the franchise.

So is CD the only game on sale? I thought both Forza and DR3 were also going on sale too?

Look at the post in the community meld. It mentions that CD is on sale for this week only, and that "Deals with Gold" for XB1 aims to put a new game on sale each week.

If they're really going to commit to weekly sales on XB1, they're probably really going to have to stagger the content some. I hope they do similar to PS+, by offering first week of release sales on new content on occasion too.

I also enjoyed it, although it's nothing exceptional, just a decent above average game. However, due to a lack of similar games, I'd recommend it, just don't go in expecting a Panzer Dragoon game.

I found the worlds sufficiently pretty and interesting, but there definitely could have been more of them. Unlike some people, I had practically no problems with the camera, except in some of the free flight boss battles, but they're such a minor part of the game. Likewise for controls, mechanically the game works well and I didn't find it slow. However, the basic gameplay is rather shallow, most levels boil down to choosing the right dragon, hiring the right wingman (they will often do most of the work, but you don't have to use them at all if you prefer to do everything solo) and just powering through. Weapon switching doesn't play a major role, you can pass most (all?) levels without switching even once.

But challenges make things more interesting (for instance, killing every enemy, avoiding getting hit, collecting all the beacons...) so you'll need some skill to pass them (collecting beacons can even be too challenging, in my opinion). It's very much a grinder's game, if you don't want to be replaying the same levels multiple times in order to level up your dragons and unlock everything, you might as well not bother. The missions themselves are very short, each lasts maybe 5 minutes, which is not that surprising considering it was once a Kinect title. The story is forgettable, there really isn't much to it.

Still, as I said, I enjoyed my time with it, and I'm glad that I've played it. It's decent enough if you can manage your expectations, and the potential sequel that's not held down by Crimson Dragon's Kinect legacy could be really great.

derFeef

Bought the game yesterday - could not resist for that price. I played CD at the preview event before the XBO came out and loved it - but the previews and reviews soured me a little bit. Hopefully I will enjoy it as much as I did last year.

So, list of game's that seem close to a release is below. I say they are "close" as they are all rated on PEGI, and game's get rated on PEGI as part of the pre-certification process, which USUALLY means a game is ~1 month out depending on how quickly/easily they pass through certification.

Sixty Second Shooter Prime
Contrast
Pinball Arcade
Castlestorm
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Games that are "coming soon" during the summer according to devs on social media/their sites:
Pure Pool
Pier Solar HD
Another World 20th Anniversary Edition
Shadow Warrior

t's a decent PD experience, but pretty much everything where it differs from the original took a turn for the worse.

It's still enjoyable, but not as good as PD to scratch that itch.

Edit: About your doubts:

Yeah, the levels are shorter and not as much well crafted for on rail experience. For each level you usually have 3/4 sub missions, which basically are: Collect beacons, don't get any damage, kill all monsters, defeat the boss/sub boss. This makes for a good game to play in bites, I finished it playing about 2-3 missions every day, but it does lack the feeling of a epic stage with the rollercoaster moments.

Unlike Panzer dragoon, the aim is decoupled from the movement, (one stick control movement, the other the aim). That also takes a hit on gameplay because: In PD to attack you exposed yourself a little, so you had to balance. This control scheme makes CD slightly easier in that aspect, but gives you significantly worse camera controls, and sice the game constantly throws enemies from different sides until you get the hold of it it's going to be very frustrating being hit or letting enemies go away because it didn't turn fast enough.

There's dragon evolution, which is kinda cool. But at lower levels the dragon is much looser to control (the game seems to have a terrible input lag at first, but it seems to be by design, as it improves as you evolve your dragon).

EBreda

I really enjoyed CD. In fact I still am.

I like to go back and replay some of the most visually appealing levels, like that waterfall one.

Levels are short (6 minutes or so) but that's a plus in my book. It's an on rail game, so short levels are actually desirable, specially because they are dense.

For 10 bucks go for it.

This control scheme makes CD slightly easier in that aspect, but gives you significantly worse camera controls, and sice the game constantly throws enemies from different sides until you get the hold of it it's going to be very frustrating being hit or letting enemies go away because it didn't turn fast enough.

There's a button that instantly rotates the view 180 degrees, if I remember correctly. The camera has not been an issue for me.

I am in the process of reviewing Worms, I'll link it here when I have it published. Most likely later tomorrow/early Friday since I just got my code today :).

Initial impressions: It's Worms with Clan support, landscape editor, customization, ect. I'm enjoying myself so far.

Dash Kappei

Thanks a bunch for the in-depth replies about Crimson Dragon guys, I really, really appreciated the time you've taken to written such long posts to help me shape a more informed decision.
My decision has come down to:
A) I'll buy it if I can find where my last 20€ MS money scratch card is
...but if I can't find that voucher then
B) as you guys have noted (thanks, I hadn't thought about it!) I'll wait 'cause the game's probably gonna be a GWG's affair soon.

Just had an update for Upload Studio, can anyone confirm does it remove the requirement for kinect?
I have kinect plugged in and I can't unplug, this could be an important update for some if so.

Just had an update for Upload Studio, can anyone confirm does it remove the requirement for kinect?
I have kinect plugged in and I can't unplug, this could be an important update for some if so.

Could you not load it up before it Kinect wasn't pluggedin? I just disconnected Kinect and the app opened up fine. I already had the update though so can't tell if you couldn't even open the app before.

So, list of game's that seem close to a release is below. I say they are "close" as they are all rated on PEGI, and game's get rated on PEGI as part of the pre-certification process, which USUALLY means a game is ~1 month out depending on how quickly/easily they pass through certification.

Sixty Second Shooter Prime
Contrast
Pinball Arcade
Castlestorm
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Games that are "coming soon" during the summer according to devs on social media/their sites:
Pure Pool
Pier Solar HD
Another World 20th Anniversary Edition
Shadow Warrior

Can't wait Guacamelee and Sixty.

Hoping Pure Pool is as good as Pool Nation.

Could you not load it up before it Kinect wasn't pluggedin? I just disconnected Kinect and the app opened up fine. I already had the update though so can't tell if you couldn't even open the app before.

I'm sure people were complaining, in other threads, you couldn't use upload studio without kinect being plugged in. Just saw an update and thought maybe they had patched that requirement out.

I'm sure people were complaining, in other threads, you couldn't use upload studio without kinect being plugged in. Just saw an update and thought maybe they had patched that requirement out.

Maybe they did? I can use it without Kinect in, just edited and uploaded a clip. So it's very possible that is what the update did :). Wish there were damn update logs for these apps and games on the console.

Nice, looks like they have updated it to work.

Just checked an old xbox.com forum post.

I wanted edit a game clip on Saturday, and when Upload begins it ask me to plug in Kinect. My Kinect doesn't work so I tried to skip past this but the only option is to cancel, which closes the Upload app.

MS should work on a patch notes for updated apps or an app that tells you what has been updated.

derFeef

I'd love to have Nidhogg and/or Sportsfriends on my One, hopefully they are coming rather sooner than later (or at all).
Couch coop/vs games are rare on here.

The Flash

Banned
What happens when you put a mech inside a bigger mech? You get Beyond: Flesh and Blood by PixelBomb Games.

OXM Article
Beyond: Flesh and Blood imagines the terrifying alternate future that would have manifested had Liverpool won the Premier League title this year. At least, that's what I'm assuming, going by developer Pixelbomb's ruined, blood-strewn version of Albert Square. Either way, it's a frantic mech (well, mech-ish - they're referred to as "Combat Frames") game in which you shoot other well-armed bipedal machines until they explode.

The game's currently working its way up the Steam Greenlight rankings, but Pixelbomb has confirmed that not only will it be coming to Xbox One in early 2015, but that its exacting control scheme has been designed entirely with the Xbox controller in mind.

Frankly, all that's by the by - we're interested in the fact that you can a) get your mech to climb into and pilot and even bigger mech, and b) have the ability to kick fleshy victims in half. Gross.

FrankT

Just wanted to say that for you folks that may be interested in Metal Gear to definitively pick up Ground Zeroes. As an MG fan this is a really solid add to the series. Yea, bit short on the main mission but plenty to do otherwise. Repeating the main mission(as well as side missions) and improving overall outcome adds to this as well.

It actually looks and runs really well as well. If you're a fan; grab it.

Redshirt

Banned
I definitely want to play Ground Zeroes at some point, but I haven't felt comfortable paying $30 for it. I'll grab it when there's a digital sale, or if I'm lucky, it'll be a GwG/PS+ game.

Doffen

I definitely want to play Ground Zeroes at some point, but I haven't felt comfortable paying $30 for it. I'll grab it when there's a digital sale, or if I'm lucky, it'll be a GwG/PS+ game.

I've wanted to play GZ for a while, but I've already got a backlog on X1 and PS4.
Will probably buy it before MGS5.

The Flash

Banned
Parity clause of course.

Dnc3ozw.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Great to hear 1001 Spikes is coming to X1 so fast! If such a short delay was all it normally took to get around the parity clause, I'm sure it'd crash and burn much faster. All it does right now is make X1 look like a lower priority than other consoles, which isn't a good effect.

Hope we get some good ID@XB Updates and improvements out of E3. XB1 "Summer of Indie-pendence!"? New MSGS downloadable game announcements? Guess we'll find out soon enough!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ooo,Happy wars coming to Xbox One, with CROSS PLATFORM play between 360 and Xbox 1, and 4 player local splitscreen. Just shown on the pre-presser show.

Games announced on pre-show:

Happy Wars XB1 Edition
Threes via ID@Xbox - iOS game, works in snap mode
KI Season 2 (TJ Combo announced) comes this Fall 2014

Edit:

Digital Games confirmed during/post briefing (in no particular order)

Warframe
Knight Squad
Plague Inc. Evolved
White Night
Cuphead
Lifeless Planet
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Woolfe
Threes
Hellraid
NERO
Inside
Ori & the Blind Forest
Dance Central Spotlight
Siegecraft Commander

Probably lots more to come as E3 goes on.

Top Bottom