• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One X |OT| X Gon' give it to ya

Norse

So I got a Scorpio delivered yesterday. The system did an update at first setup and it made a short buzzing/vibrate noise a few times. It sounded like it's from the disc drive. Didn't hear it again until the next day when I booted it up again. Again it sounds like it's from the disc drive, but nothing is in it. I did test to make sure the disc drive works and I'm fine there. So is it normal to hear that vibration on a bootup?

Make sure your stand is completely snapped in. Might be vibration at bootup.

Meh3D

I just made a new thread from IFIXIT's teardown posted yesterday. Short version; accessing the hard drive requires the removal of a tamper-resistant stick that will void your warranty. I made it a new thread since I feel this is an interesting point to contrast with the Sony's decision to make the PS4 and PS4 Pro hard drive user accessible.

So far the insides actually look pretty cool with the exception of that 5200 RPM hard drive. Also the engraving of Master Chief riding a scorpion is awesome.

https://imgur.com/a/fGqwZ

Chitown B

any LG OLED people having problems with Atmos UHD blurays connected directly to your TV (no receiver) - do this

go to Bluray Disc options in Xbox Settings, and uncheck "let my receiver decode audio"

This made it so my Labyrinth and Ghostbusters discs actually played video.

FN-2187

I am starting to get more concerned about how hot my One X PS Edition is getting. I was playing Gears 4 last night for maybe 90 minutes and by the end, the fan was crazy loud and the system was super hot.

I have my One X on its own shelf in my entertainment unit in the same spot my One S was, and I almost never heard the One S make a noise of any kind nor did it get hot. Does the X just require that much more ventilation?

For those of you whose One X has stayed cool/quiet, is yours in an entertainment unit at all? I am just wondering if that is contributing to how loud/hot mine is getting, or if I do have a faulty unit.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I am starting to get more concerned about how hot my One X PS Edition is getting. I was playing Gears 4 last night for maybe 90 minutes and by the end, the fan was crazy loud and the system was super hot.

I have my One X on its own shelf in my entertainment unit in the same spot my One S was, and I almost never heard the One S make a noise of any kind nor did it get hot. Does the X just require that much more ventilation?

For those of you whose One X has stayed cool/quiet, is yours in an entertainment unit at all? I am just wondering if that is contributing to how loud/hot mine is getting, or if I do have a faulty unit.

The X pulls in air from the sides of the unit which I believe the S didn't get nearly as hot so just used a simple heatsink with a fan.

Make sure the sides aren't blocked and it shouldn't be nosiy. Mine is borderline silent.

When I play Gears in the pretty mode, the fan does make a noise for brief periods at times. It sounds like it is making heat escape a little bit faster to bring the internal temperature down. It's literally for a few seconds at a time. Other 4K games do this a lot less.

Normal games (not enhanced) are completely silent for the most part.

My Scorpio is not in an entertainment centre and it has around 6 inches of free space around its perimeter. No other heat generating items are within 2 feet of the Scorpio.

Dlacy13g

I have mine in entertainment unit that is enclosed but the front door is a vented door. I have it sitting horizontal so there are no air flow issues. I did hear that if you put yours vertical you need to use the stand that comes with the PS version as its designed to still allow air flow for the bottom. If you just put it vertical without the stand you are cutting off a large area of airflow for the system.

FN-2187

The X pulls in air from the sides of the unit which I believe the S didn't get nearly as hot so just used a simple heatsink with a fan.

Make sure the sides aren't blocked and it shouldn't be nosiy. Mine is borderline silent.

When I play Gears in the pretty mode, the fan does make a noise for brief periods at times. It sounds like it is making heat escape a little bit faster to bring the internal temperature down. It's literally for a few seconds at a time. Other 4K games do this a lot less.

Normal games (not enhanced) are completely silent for the most part.

My Scorpio is not in an entertainment centre and it has around 6 inches of free space around its perimeter. No other heat generating items are within 2 feet of the Scorpio.

I have mine in entertainment unit that is enclosed but the front door is a vented door. I have it sitting horizontal so there are no air flow issues. I did hear that if you put yours vertical you need to use the stand that comes with the PS version as its designed to still allow air flow for the bottom. If you just put it vertical without the stand you are cutting off a large area of airflow for the system.

Thanks for the responses.

Mine is laying horizontal with about 6-8 inches of space on each side of the console. There is also 6 inches of space behind the console, plus a 1-2 inch hole in the entertainment unit where the cables pass through. It seems like that should be plenty of ventilation.

I am going to test having the system completely out in the open tonight and see how loud it gets.

Right now if I play any of the 4K games, it gets really hot/loud. Last night it was so loud you could hear it over the game, and my wife came in the room and asked if something was wrong with the system.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Mine is laying horizontal with about 6-8 inches of space on each side of the console. There is also 6 inches of space behind the console, plus a 1-2 inch hole in the entertainment unit where the cables pass through. It seems like that should be plenty of ventilation.

I am going to test having the system completely out in the open tonight and see how loud it gets.

Right now if I play any of the 4K games, it gets really hot/loud. Last night it was so loud you could hear it over the game, and my wife came in the room and asked if something was wrong with the system.

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong but are you saying it's an enclosed center? As in the only exit point for air would be the spot for cables?

FN-2187

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong but are you saying it's an enclosed center? As in the only exit point for air would be the spot for cables?

No it's open. Here is a picture of it:
0687912_1

I have it on one of those shelves by itself. The back of the unit is closed other than a couple of 1-2 inch holes for cables.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
0687912_1

I have it on one of those shelves by itself. The back of the unit is closed other than a couple of 1-2 inch holes for cables.

That's what I meant, the back was closed. Even though it has a small hole for wires, that's a lot of heat generating with not a lot of space.

That could be an issues as the console does produce all of its heat out the rear.

Try placing it somewhere that is completely open just for testing purposes to see if having ample space all aorund makes a difference.

It still shouldn't be loud imo in the space you have it but it's possible. But a blower fan makes a ton of noise when it's working hard.

Exactly the same thing happened to me with the ps4 pro. TV cabinet - quite a bit of space around the sides but a closed back with a hole for wires. Pretty silent for hd games - loud fans and heat for 4k games. The only solution was to move the console outside and round the back of the cabinet, on its side and go digital only. Now it is generally fine.

We have had a year of ps4 pro threads with some claiming their system is silent - others beomaning how loud it is. Truth is most units are the same - playing 4k games in a closed cabinet just generates way more heat than we are used to.

Anyone having problems with HDR not working? I contacted Vizio and they said to contact Microsoft and that it was a known issue with the X :-/. I have a Vizio P75-E1.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Anyone having problems with HDR not working? I contacted Vizio and they said to contact Microsoft and that it was a known issue with the X :-/. I have a Vizio P75-E1.

I haven't heard anything on this. I mean the Xbox outputs HDR if the TV isn't accepting the signal it's not on the Xbox side unless there's a hardware issue with that particular box. But I am by no means an HDR expert so I could be totally wrong.

Do you have other HDR capable devices?

I haven't heard anything on this. I mean the Xbox outputs HDR if the TV isn't accepting the signal it's not on the Xbox side unless there's a hardware issue with that particular box. But I am by no means an HDR expert so I could be totally wrong.

Do you have other HDR capable devices?

No I don't unfortunately. I'm using the cable that came with the Xbox hooked directly into the TV (bypassing my reciever). I have it on HDMI port 5 which is what Vizio recommended.

Achillias

Anyone know how I can get the white background in "my background solid" option without selecting a tile. When I choose for the light theme on a new account it looks different compared to my main account.

mohuerta

any LG OLED people having problems with Atmos UHD blurays connected directly to your TV (no receiver) - do this

go to Bluray Disc options in Xbox Settings, and uncheck "let my receiver decode audio"

This made it so my Labyrinth and Ghostbusters discs actually played video.

Doesn't make a difference for me. All video playback freezes once I enable Atmos and get no audio.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No I don't unfortunately. I'm using the cable that came with the Xbox hooked directly into the TV (bypassing my reciever). I have it on HDMI port 5 which is what Vizio recommended.

Hmm sorry to say I'm not much help. I know some TV's require you to sort of turn on HDR deep color in the TV settings but I'm sure if you talked to Vizio they would of told you about it.

Them saying it's a known issue seems a little far fetched due to the console being less than 72 hours from release but it's possible.

Do you have a friend or family that have a HDR enables Tv? Could try it there.

shpankey

not an idiot
Got my X finally. Kind of reminds me of the old PS2, especially w/ the vertical stand, which is a good thing, as that’s the goat console.

Hmm sorry to say I'm not much help. I know some TV's require you to sort of turn on HDR deep color in the TV settings but I'm sure if you talked to Vizio they would of told you about it.

Them saying it's a known issue seems a little far fetched due to the console being less than 72 hours from release but it's possible.

Do you have a friend or family that have a HDR enables Tv? Could try it there.

I don't. Microsoft is also saying its an "issue they are investigating" but who knows, could just be support people blowing smoke to try and make me feel better.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't. Microsoft is also saying its an "issue they are investigating" but who knows, could just be support people blowing smoke to try and make me feel better.

If support says that I'd take their word a bit more. Could be a simple handshake issue.

TLZ

Banned
I read on resetERA that 4k HDR drops from 4:4:4 and if you don't have that box checked it'll drop to less than 4:2:2.
I honestly don't know shit about this stuff,just passing along info. I'd like to know the ideal setting as well.
AFAIK 444 don't support 10 bit yet. Better double check though.

Boss Man

The disc drive on mine is pretty loud. If I apply pressure to the top, no sound. Not super bothered by it honestly. The disc drive isn’t used much.

0687912_1

That kind of cabinet will cook your console. If that's the only cabinet you have, I'd remove the backing or cut away the section behind the shelf that your console sits on so that you get clear airflow.

Dr.brain64

Both my pro and x are loud but I don't mind. In fact I feel better knowing the fans are cooling the sytem. If I had a quiet console I would be worried.

Dierce

I'm a bit worried that my Scorpio Edition is showing signs of possibly failing in the future. Anyone else experience a ghosting issue when circling around Lara in Rise of the Tomb Raider? I'm running it with enriched visuals.

HZrfkqf.png

spookyfish

Don't know if this has been brought up, but I just turned my on, transferred my profile and games, and I keep getting an "idle mode took too long to start" error.

Is this happening to anyone else? I googled, but didn't see anything. Thanks in advance!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Don't know if this has been brought up, but I just turned my on, transferred my profile and games, and I keep getting an "idle mode took too long to start" error.

Is this happening to anyone else? I googled, but didn't see anything. Thanks in advance!
External drive?

Uhtred

I’ve had my X on for 3 days now at about 12 hours per day. No heat, no crazy fan noise, under heavy load I have heard the fan come on, but nothing crazy like some are reporting.

I’ve had my X on for 3 days now at about 12 hours per day. No heat, no crazy fan noise, under heavy load I have heard the fan come on, but nothing crazy like some are reporting.

Do you have the project scorpio version..where did you buy yours from? I got mine from gamestop but didnt have time today to take it out of the box and test it will do it tomorrow am so nervous seriously I hope mine isnt defective

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Exact same situation as mine. I was nervous as hell the first day while I was at work, but so far so good.

MrBenchmark

both mine are and run perfectly cool but my unit has no back at all i never put electronics in units with closed backs EVER!

MrBenchmark

0687912_1

i would cut open every back panel if your putting electronics in it.

why when a item needs venting do people insist on putting them in closed areas.

OPEN
Xg1e3Uf.png

Nothing ever overheats
uOHQPSK.jpg

FN-2187

That's what I meant, the back was closed. Even though it has a small hole for wires, that's a lot of heat generating with not a lot of space.

That could be an issues as the console does produce all of its heat out the rear.

Try placing it somewhere that is completely open just for testing purposes to see if having ample space all aorund makes a difference.

It still shouldn't be loud imo in the space you have it but it's possible. But a blower fan makes a ton of noise when it's working hard.

Exactly the same thing happened to me with the ps4 pro. TV cabinet - quite a bit of space around the sides but a closed back with a hole for wires. Pretty silent for hd games - loud fans and heat for 4k games. The only solution was to move the console outside and round the back of the cabinet, on its side and go digital only. Now it is generally fine.

We have had a year of ps4 pro threads with some claiming their system is silent - others beomaning how loud it is. Truth is most units are the same - playing 4k games in a closed cabinet just generates way more heat than we are used to.

That kind of cabinet will cook your console. If that's the only cabinet you have, I'd remove the backing or cut away the section behind the shelf that your console sits on so that you get clear airflow.

both mine are and run perfectly cool but my unit has no back at all i never put electronics in units with closed backs EVER!

i would cut open every back panel if your putting electronics in it.

why when a item needs venting do people insist on putting them in closed areas.

Yep, so I moved the Xbox One X out of the unit completely as a test. I have been playing X Enhanced games for 3 hours straight and it's totally quiet now and not getting hot at all. The back of the unit being closed off was totally the problem because of the way the X is designed to have hot air blow out the back.

I really didn't think there would be any ventilation problems because I had my One S in the same spot and never had an issue. My Wii U is in the unit as well and it's never been an issue. It's entirely because the One X blow SO MUCH hot air out the back. I am wondering how many people claiming the system is loud have it in a unit with a closed back. They should really put a warning of some kind in the box. How many average joes are going to jam it into a tight spot on their entertainment unit with no air flow and have the thing melt on them.

Anyway, really glad the issue is solved for me. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this! I was loving the system even when it was loud and almost on fire. Now that it's cool and quiet, it really is perfect.

Link please, I like this!!!

I found it on clearance at Canadian Tire in store like 6 months ago. I can't seem to find it on their website. Might be gone now. (Also, you would need to be in Canada.)

Uhtred

Do you have the project scorpio version..where did you buy yours from? I got mine from gamestop but didnt have time today to take it out of the box and test it will do it tomorrow am so nervous seriously I hope mine isnt defective

I have the project Scorpio version from Amazon.

Pantz

So do you really have to keep a game disc in while downloading a patch? That's pretty annoying unless I'm doing something wrong.

Heath V

I took my One X out of the shelf and put it on top, I felt it was getting a bit too hot so hopefully the extra airflow will help. I did the same with my PS Pro, that console legitimately sounds like a vacuum without proper airflow when it heats up.

Xbox One X https://imgur.com/gallery/kdweX

Top Bottom