• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Rich!

Eryth Sea is the best looking area in the game but it's a pain to swim around it and there isn't much interesting going on in the vast stretches of water. I think Gaur Plains is the perfect combination of looks and level design. It has a lot of different elements to the terrain. You got the big open fields, the bridge overlooking the lake and those strange mushroom platforms, those arching platforms over the tortas, forest, Sky Stage, Windy Cave, Spiral Valley, and some tall cliffs to overlook everything. Plus it has arguably the best view of the Mechonis.

thats why you use the teleports and only swim short distances when you have to!

Malus

thats why you use the teleports and only swim short distances when you have to!

Definitely. Can't imagine swimming from one end to another, but it's still a rather slow and uneventful trip compared to running around in other areas of the game. Plus, teleporting from small island to small island makes the area feel smaller than it is.

Rich!

Definitely. Can't imagine swimming from one end to another, but it's still a rather slow and uneventful trip compared to running around in other areas of the game. Plus, teleporting from small island to small island makes the area feel smaller than it is.

Yeah for sure

but theres not really any other way they could have done it, short of speeding you up or giving you a goddamn boat. It's a huge sea. And besides, apart from being a completionist and finding all the areas, you don't need to travel all around eryth sea anyway to progress with the main quest.

Crumbtiny

Trying not to read too much of the thread (have another week to wait here), but the OP says you can't move while selecting an arte? Or did i misunderstand. Is that affecting how combat feels? I enjoyed how fast and fluid it felt on the Wii.

Rich!

Trying not to read too much of the thread (have another week to wait here), but the OP says you can't move while selecting an arte? Or did i misunderstand. Is that affecting how combat feels? I enjoyed how fast and fluid it felt on the Wii.

Well, I vastly prefer the gameplay with the Classic Controller Pro which is identical to the control scheme on the 3DS. Never played with a nunchuk and remote.

You just have to switch between the two like a ninja. Move, select art, move, select art, move move move, select art. It's cool how it requires real physical dexterity too as well as what youre doing ingame.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My incomplete UM-only run checklist is through Satorl Marsh. 3 pages long so far. Guessing things will start getting challenging around the Ether Mines, since the enemies go from about level 15 to 25 between Bionis Leg and Ether Mines, and there are only two between level 19 and 25.

Need to figure out how to incorporate some mining, and skill book buying. How long does it take before you can mine a spot again? Don't remember at all. Edit: Appears to be 5-10 minutes real time, depending on the deposit. Not bad.

Overside

Banned
Yeah for sure

but theres not really any other way they could have done it, short of speeding you up or giving you a goddamn boat. It's a huge sea. And besides, apart from being a completionist and finding all the areas, you don't need to travel all around eryth sea anyway to progress with the main quest.

Hmm...

Wait, I got it.

What if... They gave you giant mechs that could fly and transform into vehicles and shit?

Dude, they should totally do that for a sequel!!!

Overside

Banned
I bought this. Never played the original. I'm shocked by the graphics :/ Terribad.

The graphics are identical to the original, except for 3ds's screen res.

You bought a game you never saw before, and you didnt even look at the back of the box? Its a massive open world wii game, what were you expecting?

Might as well keep playing it.

Eryth Sea is the best looking area in the game but it's a pain to swim around it and there isn't much interesting going on in the vast stretches of water. I think Gaur Plains is the perfect combination of looks and level design. It has a lot of different elements to the terrain. You got the big open fields, the bridge overlooking the lake and those strange mushroom platforms, those arching platforms over the tortas, forest, Sky Stage, Windy Cave, Spiral Valley, and some tall cliffs to overlook everything. Plus it has arguably the best view of the Mechonis. You can see more of the Mechonis elsewhere but the way it looms over the cliffs is really cool.

yeah but who cares, it's pretty :p

Fallen Arm also has the single best viewpoint in the game anyway

Xbro

Whaaat? I can get affinity coins for perfect B presses? What is considerate perfect? Within the bigger circle or exactly at the point where the B-Button is displayed?

The best time to press B is right when the ring enters the B icon. And you just get affinity points, coins come with unique monsters and leveling.

My first time playing Xenoblade (didn't get the chance to play it on the Wii) and the menu system is really weird.

Also the UK voice acting is so bad that it's so good. (Almost like the original Resident Evil voice acting. "Jill Sandwich")

There are so many sub-quests too its really overwhelming.

Don't overwhelm yourself on sidequests.

So, does this version make any use of touch controls for menus or anything, or is the touchscreen literally only used to dump obstructive UI elements from the top screen down to the bottom? That and I should probably ask, what's the URL for the Miiverse page for this? I'm looking around and I can't find it. Is it because I'm in the US?

Oh, and can anyone agree with me that Xenoblade is a game that would be perfect with some Dark Souls message leaving system? Ok, granted, it would probably suffer from DaSo's problem of every single message being "Try jumping off" or in this game's case "Now it's Reyn time!" Hah, guess we'll have to see if X has it.

Rich!

So, does this version make any use of touch controls for menus or anything, or is the touchscreen literally only used to dump obstructive UI elements from the top screen down to the bottom?

There are no touch controls in the game whatsoever in any way.

The lower screen is purely used for some HUD elements and extension of map control instructions and menus.

It is literally no different to the Wii version. It is a straight port.

Docpan

They did some weird shit with this port. For example, the text boxes and even images look like they're using some kind of scaled down technique instead of being displayed naturally at the 3ds resolution. As a result its kind of like looking at a higher res image through the thumbnail display on google images. Everything is blurry and looks off. Its impossible for me to play.

Rich!

They did some weird shit with this port. For example, the text boxes and even images look like they're using some kind of scaled down technique instead of being displayed naturally at the 3ds resolution. As a result its kind of like looking at a higher res image through the thumbnail display on google images. Everything is blurry and looks off. Its impossible for me to play.

That's because the menus, text and tutorials are the bitmap images taken from the Wii ISO and downscaled, likely just using Photoshop. Nothing has been redrawn.

Could someone take a screenshot of what you guys see with the downscaled text boxes? I need my eyes prepared for this by Friday.

Docpan

Remember when the original Dead Rising came out and there was controversy because on a 480i/p tv the game was near impossible to play. The text was still rendered at 720 and downscaled so it looked like shit and was almost impossible to read.

Same thing here.

Acrylic7

I didn't see this in the OP and I'm pretty sure someone already asked but does this work on the older 3D's or does this only play on the New 3DS?

Rich!

I didn't see this in the OP and I'm pretty sure someone already asked but does this work on the older 3D's or does this only play on the New 3DS?

It would never, ever, ever, ever, ever be possible on the old 3DS.

New 3DS only. And thank fuck for that.

nan0

Entering Gaur Plains for the first time is giving me the same chills as in the Wii version. Amazing.
Btw anyone else thinks that it doesn't look as colourful as on Wii? As if they turned down the saturation slider.

hwy_61

Banned
Anybody here have that cyber 3ds grip? I ordered one from eBay for this game. I feel like it's gonna be a must have.

TheMoon

You didn't look right then. It's on all the box arts and the general info tab right below them. Very clear.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Agh. I want to play this, currently playing Chrono Cross (lol), Bloodborne, Monster Hunter 4U, Majora's Mask, and Axium Verge. Goddammit all!

RootCause

I'm having second thoughts on this. Never played a game in the series. The main reason I have it preordered is out of fear it becomes rare, and doubles in price ala SF, KI and the original release. Ease my doubts gaf.

Is there a guide on gem crafting? I've read the tutorial but still have only a basic idea what I am supposed to do

Here is a brief summary of how it works: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Gem_Crafting
And here is an FAQ with a full list and their personal best list of gems: http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/faqs/65405

In my experience I didn't use much of a guide for gem crafting because (1) the gem components you get are pretty random so I would mainly focus on whatever components I simply had on me, rather than seeking out specific types and (2) because the way the system works you'll have a very good idea of what you'll end up with. There's little risk since you can often recycle components that don't get turned into gems.

Now, in the late game super bosses or for challenge runs you may very well seek out very specific gems to have on you, but for a beginner to the game gems aren't especially crucial. I would mostly focus on whatever is convenient, maybe get familiar with forging them, but really you could probably do fine with the complete gems you come across in the field and looted from enemies.

I'm having second thoughts on this. Never played a game in the series. The main reason I have it preordered is out of fear it becomes rare, and doubles in price ala SF, KI and the original release. Ease my doubts gaf.

Ah, the Amiibo effect. If it makes you feel better, playing a previous game in the Xeno series doesn't really help since the differences between the gameplay of those games and Xenoblade are basically night and day outside of the themes in the story. Xenoblade pretty much stands on its own merits.

Wichu

Do you like exploration? A great soundtrack? Lots of stuff to do? Cheesy British voice acting? The best JRPG of last gen on a handheld?

As it's on the eShop, don't feel pressured to pick it up immediately - you'll always have the opportunity to buy it for its original price digitally. It's totally worth it, though.

Well uh, there is the eShop for those games, but of course they're going to be at MSRP FOREVER. That and I advise against going digital on Nintendo hardware whenever possible. Look at it this way though, if it doubles in price and you got the game but don't like it, you can always scalp it off to some chump like everyone did last time.
AKA why I never bothered with this game on Wii

Stick with it.

Rich!

Anybody here have that cyber 3ds grip? I ordered one from eBay for this game. I feel like it's gonna be a must have.

Yep.

Cost me £4 on eBay. Its amazing. Took these photos the other day:

hzbiyw.jpg

RootCause

Well uh, there is the eShop for those games, but of course they're going to be at MSRP FOREVER. That and I advise against going digital on Nintendo hardware whenever possible. Look at it this way though, if it doubles in price and you got the game but don't like it, you can always scalp it off to some chump like everyone did last time.
AKA why I never bothered with this game on Wii

Stick with it.

Do you like exploration? A great soundtrack? Lots of stuff to do? Cheesy British voice acting? The best JRPG of last gen on a handheld?

As it's on the eShop, don't feel pressured to pick it up immediately - you'll always have the opportunity to buy it for its original price digitally. It's totally worth it, though.

Thanks. In that case I'll keep it. I already regret not getting the wii version.

Ah, the Amiibo effect. If it makes you feel better, playing a previous game in the Xeno series doesn't really help since the differences between the gameplay of those games and Xenoblade are basically night and day outside of the themes in the story. Xenoblade pretty much stands on its own merits.
Actually, I was interested in the wii version, before the amiibos, but it was going for absurd prices. Plus this might be the only chance I get at owning a physical copy of the game.

So I don't need to know the story of the previous games?

Dad

EBay. They seem to range from $25-$40. You have to import it if you live in NA AFAIK. That may be the reason why they're a little pricey.

It looks like the one in Rich's picture is actually this one instead of a Cyber grip. Would explain how he found it for so much cheaper.

TheMoon

There is no series. Xenoblade is an original game. There is exactly 0 relation between those other Xeno-games and Xenoblade. Don't be fooled by the name.

BTW, how's the audio quality in this version? I heard from a bunch of guys on Facepunch that the voice quality is noticeably compressed - alas though a lot of those guys also support a certain movement that shan't be named so I find myself taking their word with a salt mine.

alvis.exe

Actually, I was interested in the wii version, before the amiibos, but it was going for absurd prices. Plus this might be the only chance I get at owning a physical copy of the game.

So I don't need to know the story of the previous games?

If by previous games you mean Xenogears and the Xenosaga games then considering that Xenoblade is its own IP... no you don't need to know the story of games from unrelated IPs :)

If by previous games you mean Xenogears and the Xenosaga games then considering that Xenoblade is its own IP... no you don't need to know the story of games from unrelated IPs :)

Other than the fact that X is more than likely secretly a prequel to this.

I got spoilered on some things that I won't repeat here, but with those certain things and the synopsis of X... Well, I hope some of you can see the logic I'm going with here with how X is probably a prequel in secret.

It'd be a damn dark ending to X though if I'm right.

corn_fest

I got spoilered on some things that I won't repeat here, but with those certain things and the synopsis of X... Well, I hope some of you can see the logic I'm going with here with how X is probably a prequel in secret.

I guess this isn't really the place, but what's your prediction? [Xenoblade spoilers follow]
If Earth is being evacuated in X, how would Meyneth and Klaus' project occur there?

I guess this isn't really the place, but what's your prediction? [Xenoblade spoilers follow]
If Earth is being evacuated in X, how would Meyneth and Klaus' project occur there?

Wait, it explicitly occurred ON Earth in particular?

Alright, going with this anyway, crosspost from a TVTropes WMG I did previously.

Cornered on Mira by aliens that seek to end humanity, Klaus, out of desperation, begins coming up with any way to save humanity from their attackers now that they can't escape Mira like they did with Earth. Eventually they figure out how to make a new universe free from the aliens where humanity would be safe from them, and so they do it, leading to the world of Xenoblade.

Err yeah, that's what I came up with the limited synopsis of X and what of that one XB1 spoiler I knew.

Golnei

Maybe it already has occurred, but X's world is from an earlier cycle than Xenoblade's, thereby explaining why it's closer to the universe the original Earth was in, compared to the relatively abstract Bionis and Mechonis?

TheMoon

BTW, how's the audio quality in this version? I heard from a bunch of guys on Facepunch that the voice quality is noticeably compressed - alas though a lot of those guys also support a certain movement that shan't be named so I find myself taking their word with a salt mine.

Well it clearly is compressed a bit which you will notice when listening to it with headphones but it's not very distracting. Obviously you can't expect CD-quality audio from such a massive game on 3DS. Doesn't bother me at all, personally.

Maybe it already has occurred, but X's world is from an earlier cycle than Xenoblade's, thereby explaining why it's closer to the universe the original Earth was in, compared to the relatively abstract Bionis and Mechonis?

No, I'm pretty sure that X is the events that lead to the cycle. Besides, hasn't the cycle explicitly taken place exclusively on the Bionis and Mechonis? That said, you don't just go creating new universes and destroying old ones for shits and giggles, do you? I mean surely Klaus had a damn good reason for the experiment in the first place?

Of course, someone who's actually played XB1 is going to come in here and tell me that Klaus was the "For Science!" type, eh?

Astral Dog

A prequel, eh? everybody was thinking it could be a sequel, but a prequel can fit too.

i guess, the experiment was done to recreate the earth?

Or it could be a few references.

Top Bottom