• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Xbro

Other than the fact that X is more than likely secretly a prequel to this.

I got spoilered on some things that I won't repeat here, but with those certain things and the synopsis of X... Well, I hope some of you can see the logic I'm going with here with how X is probably a prequel in secret.

It'd be a damn dark ending to X though if I'm right.

I'll say it right here. And this has no spoilers, but if they do decide to connect the games, the timeline would most likely happen like:

Xenoblade -> Xenoblade X -> Xenosaga -> Xenogears

depward

Used to be big into JRPGs in high school / college.

Now - not sure the last time I finished one. Yet I keep on buying some here and there.

And of course have that pull for this.

Hopefully this can break the streak.

alvis.exe

No, I'm pretty sure that X is the events that lead to the cycle. Besides, hasn't the cycle explicitly taken place exclusively on the Bionis and Mechonis? That said, you don't just go creating new universes and destroying old ones for shits and giggles, do you? I mean surely Klaus had a damn good reason for the experiment in the first place?

Of course, someone who's actually played XB1 is going to come in here and tell me that Klaus was the "For Science!" type, eh?

Yes. I'll be quoting some lines in the ending and describing more of what goes on in that final stretch of the game so please don't read any further if you don't want to be spoilered.

"Ridiculous. It's perfectly safe. We are about to bear witness to the birth of a universe. Once, only a god could perform such a miracle. But today, mankind moves one step closer to the divine!"

"It was simple curiosity. The curiosity of a single man that destroyed the universe and created a new one."

Also supported by the way he acts throughout the game. The final area also supports the idea that the scientists were from Earth specifically, given that the final area is our solar system. And the Bionis and Mechonis come about directly from the result of the experiment. Also there are Nopon on Mira and we know there aren't any on Earth hahaha.

corn_fest

Wait, it explicitly occurred ON Earth in particular?

Alright, going with this anyway, crosspost from a TVTropes WMG I did previously.

Cornered on Mira by aliens that seek to end humanity, Klaus, out of desperation, begins coming up with any way to save humanity from their attackers now that they can't escape Mira like they did with Earth. Eventually they figure out how to make a new universe free from the aliens where humanity would be safe from them, and so they do it, leading to the world of Xenoblade.

Err yeah, that's what I came up with the limited synopsis of X and what of that one XB1 spoiler I knew.
Xenoblade ending spoilers follow:
I believe it is explicitly "our Earth", yeah, since you see the approach to it through our solar system. Of course, being a JRPG, they could always explain away things like that somehow. I also think the games will end up being connected, but I think it's more likely that (New) Earth and Mira exist in the post-XB1 universe (and are prehaps alluded to by Shulk's "I hope we can visit all the other worlds out there").

Overside

Banned
No, I'm pretty sure that X is the events that lead to the cycle. Besides, hasn't the cycle explicitly taken place exclusively on the Bionis and Mechonis? That said, you don't just go creating new universes and destroying old ones for shits and giggles, do you? I mean surely Klaus had a damn good reason for the experiment in the first place?

Of course, someone who's actually played XB1 is going to come in here and tell me that Klaus was the "For Science!" type, eh?
Klaus's reason was simply curiosity. The curiosity of a single man destroyed the entire universe.

He had no idea the expiriment was going to result in that outcome, he thought it was perfectly safe, he likely thought it was going to be a very small, little bang, simply one step closer to the divine, that they could record the data from, and some time in the future reproduce in an area far from earth on a larger scale. He didnt have enough knowledge of what could possibly happen (Meyneths main protest, the results were not confirmed).

Its basically Super hadron collider worst fears/gone too far Takahashi edition.

So the old world was destroyed, and for some reason the new one that was born was based on the metaphysics of Gottfreid Leibnitz's Monadology (Was Klaus doing some bedtime reading the night before?)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
We getting deep in xenoblade lore in here, even tho I dont have xenoblade 3DS, just the wii version, maybe I should get involved in this OT anyways.

FFFFFFFF- And here I was thinking Monado was simply a made up word within the limitations of Japanese writing akin to how Metroid's name was a word someone pulled out of their ass, when all along it was a real French word.

Alright, I'll ask this one again that I asked yesterday... Is there any net negative effect from the decrease in horizontal viewing area relative to vertical? Considering that the 3DS is 15:9 whilst the Wii version was 16:9.

Damn I'm level 12 and I'm getting absolutely destroyed by this
giant spider in the cave.
Embarrassingly early in the cave and I've tried playing as both Reyn and Shulk and no dice. Can barely whittle it down to 3/4 health before we both die. I'm rubbish with the combat :/
Might just try and grind and over-level myself. Unless I'm missing something really stupid I don't know if I'm skilled enough to overcome it!

TheMoon

Alright, I'll ask this one again that I asked yesterday... Is there any net negative effect from the decrease in horizontal viewing area relative to vertical? Considering that the 3DS is 15:9 whilst the Wii version was 16:9.

I think nobody responding or talking about it should be a clue :D

Didn't even think once about it until you brought it up.

Damn I'm level 12 and I'm getting absolutely destroyed by this
giant spider in the cave.
Embarrassingly early in the cave and I've tried playing as both Reyn and Shulk and no dice. Can barely whittle it down to 3/4 health before we both die. I'm rubbish with the combat :/
Might just try and grind and over-level myself. Unless I'm missing something really stupid I don't know if I'm skilled enough to overcome it!

Have you made sure to read the descriptions of yours and Reyn's Arts? So that you know what they do and when it makes most sense to use specific ones? Shulk can heal and you get the visions which gives you a chance to heal the targeted party member or inflict a status effect on the boss that cancels its attack. Re-read the combat tutorials in the menu. It shouldn't be this hard. You don't need to grind.

I think nobody responding or talking about it should be a clue :D

Didn't even think once about it until you brought it up.

Have you made sure to read the descriptions of yours and Reyn's Arts? So that you know what they do and when it makes most sense to use specific ones? Shulk can heal and you get the visions which gives you a chance to heal the targeted party member or inflict a status effect on the boss that cancels its attack. Re-read the combat tutorials in the menu. It shouldn't be this hard. You don't need to grind.

I have and I'm aware of what each art does. But with the screen being so small it's super hard to see what the hell is going on
with hundreds of spiders attacking me and none of my arts making a dent in the big spiders health
Reyn dies way too quickly for him to do anything anyway and I just get stuck by the spider bind abilitity the entire time so I can't even pick him up before I'm dead myself.

I think I'll just sleep on it and see if I can get past it tomorrow. This boss just seems way harder than what they have thrown at me so far which has put me off a little. I mean that
giant mechon that killed fiora
was really easy as it was a clear two-step art selection. This thing I have no clue lol.

Edit: Thank the lord I did it haha.

Wichu

So if you wait on the title screen long enough, it eventually plays the Bionis and Mechonis cutscene from the opening. It's pretty cool watching it without a voiceover and with the Main Theme playing.

Zing

Banned
Ugh I want this. Anyone know if any retailers that are doing a 3ds xl trade in deal?
The trade in deals were slightly less than just selling your system directly. Buy the new system, do a transfer, and sell your old XL for $100-140 (black is worth the most).

Xbro

FFFFFFFF- And here I was thinking Monado was simply a made up word within the limitations of Japanese writing akin to how Metroid's name was a word someone pulled out of their ass, when all along it was a real French word.

The designs also have meaning. I won't post any pics here because spoilers.

Oh snap, some posts in another thread reminded me...

Anyone know if any Gamestop stores plan on holding a midnight launch for this? I mean historically I've only gone to midnight launches for big AAA titles so I don't even know if there'll be a midnight launch for this so don't shoot me for not knowing an answer that might be obvious.

Overside

Banned

Oh dude, its not French, its Greek, ancient style. And its not just the monads of philosophy and religions.... this rabbit hole goes deep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monad_(functional_programming)

This is everything Shulk does, this, is the power of the monado. Its an I/O interface to edit and re-program, reality, on the level of the smallest most irreducible unit of matter, the Monad.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've only just reached the Gaur Plains and I'm finding things I never knew about from my first playthrough. Dark Murakmor in C9 was a cool surprise. Draw distance on this game for landscapes is still really amazing. Monster Games did an amazing job. Game has a bit of trouble with NPCs and smaller stuff but on the small screen it's barely noticeable. Quality and faithfulness of this port really can't be overstated. UI and touch based improvements would have been appreciated but you can't fault Monster for not messing with the code too much.

Switched to Reyn. So much more fun than Shulk. More skills. Has a topple skill instead of starting the chain with break so you can play reactionary to the AI instead of hoping they'll follow up your initial break. And drawing aggro instead of trying to mitigate it keeps things fun. Instead of focusing on your own positioning you're manipulating the enemies to set up back slashes for Shulk. Going into the game with knowledge of all the mechanics is very satisfying. Using the collectopaedia and gems, already have Reyn pushing 4k health and tanking hard while Shulk does great damage. No grinding for bosses, just building intelligently.
But I'm still over leveled from quests but this is my second playthrough so I'm committing to them, don't do this beginners

Bloodborne and this. Wonderful.

Xbro

You can post links (marked as spoilers of course) if embedded pictures would spoil things.

Actually just wanted someone to quote me so I could be talking directly to someone who had played the game. Because I wasn't quite sure if CertifiedFP had played the game.(No offense if you have) I didn't want to quote a user and just have everything in the post be a spoiler tag. Anyway, the designs.

Though I'm not quite sure about the original monado or Monado III, I'm fairly certain both of them have their meanings. But I do know that Zanza's Monado and Meyneth's Monado are both designed with purpose.

Zanza's monado is that of an arrow, a straightforward, one way path to everything. Much like the way he believed. It signifies everything going according to the passage of fate.

Meyneth's monado is that of a branching sword. It seems to represent multiple paths, and multiple choices, rather than a single choice. Hence the branches on the sword.

Not sure if this is relevant to anything, I just thought it was a pretty interesting detail.

Overside

Banned
Actually just wanted someone to quote me so I could be talking directly to someone who had played the game. Because I wasn't quite sure if CertifiedFP had played the game.(No offense if you have) I didn't want to quote a user and just have everything in the post be a spoiler tag. Anyway, the designs.

Though I'm not quite sure about the original monado or Monado III, I'm fairly certain both of them have their meanings. But I do know that Zanza's Monado and Meyneth's Monado are both designed with purpose.

Zanza's monado is that of an arrow, a straightforward, one way path to everything. Much like the way he believed. It signifies everything going according to the passage of fate.

Meyneth's monado is that of a branching sword. It seems to represent multiple paths, and multiple choices, rather than a single choice. Hence the branches on the sword.

Not sure if this is relevant to anything, I just thought it was a pretty interesting detail.

Oh... Wow. Its relevant. Never even looked at or thought about that visual cue, but, Arrows are similar to Monads, albeit more general, less abstract, less flexible... less powerful.

http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~rjmh/Papers/arrows.pdf

the monado 3 appears to be designed using stylized and stacked versions of the monad bind operator symbol >>==

Zanza's 'Monado' is based off the operator symbol for the arrow -->

I guess... Zanza may have abandoned Monads for arrows?

Greenzxy

So for those that have their hands on it, how does the port look?

v v v

Just took these screenshots:

wtawig.jpg

owuksy.jpg

ramyeon

So for those that have their hands on it, how does the port look?
Screenshots don't do it justice, I thought it looked terrible in screenshots and video but once I started playing and got used to the reduced resolution it looks, feels and most importantly plays great.

You guys know that 3DS screenshots lose a lot of detail converting from the 3D rendering into a 2D image, right? Screenshots really never look right compared to the genuine 3DS displayed image.

evanmisha

Sorry if this is old news but Amazon Japan got a new shipment of Xenoblade Secret File in. Looks like it's back in print. It's extremely comprehensive, features a ton of art, and even a pattern for the Riki plush from the Monolith Soft blog.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4048702009/

These were selling for double that only a couple weeks ago so don't wait if you're interested.

Corgi

Banned
even if 3d is crappy, is it worth having it on?

the way the system renders fonts, i tend to find it easier to read most game's text in 3d instead of 2d

ramyeon

even if 3d is crappy, is it worth having it on?

the way the system renders fonts, i tend to find it easier to read most game's text in 3d instead of 2d
In my opinion it is, yeah. With the New 3DS it's never distracting anyway so I just leave it on at the lowest setting.

ZeroX03

Banned
The 3D makes everything a little clearer to me. I don't mind that it's subtle. Since the N3DS motion tracking I always keep it on unless it's a very dark game full of ghosting. Xenoblade has little black even at night so it's fine to keep on.

El Odio

Banned
Took the plunge and preorder this tonight off amazon despite not having a N3DS yet. Here's to hoping I can find time to sort that out sometime in the week.

ramyeon

Definitely getting a lot more out of the game this time around. Really enjoying playing as other characters and not just sticking with Shulk 90% of the time like I did first time around. This works so surprisingly well on a portable.

2 hours into this and I really think it suits the 3DS, I played 10-15 hours on the Wii last year and wasn't impressed but I'm really enjoying it on this hardware.

It's Reyn time.

CassSept

Do remember that many screenshots posted as "Xenoblade Wii" are actually from Dolphin. When played on Wii Xenoblade is a blurry, pixelated mess. A beautiful blurry, pixelated mess, but still.

hamchan

10 hours in and I prefer this to the Wii version purely because of the portable nature of it. I feel compelled to finish the whole game since a single session is less of a committment with the sleep mode a portable console provides. Xenogears is another 50+ hour JRPG I played earlier this year that I would never have finished if I wasn't playing on a Vita. I feel the genre just suits handhelds these days. So yeah, pretty happy this exists.

I find the port job really impressive too. Having such huge land masses to explore and it being relatively smooth is quite a feat running on a 3DS. They did a good job with this.

Rich!

This screen, more than any other, shows why this game needed a HD remaster and not a portable port. So much detail lost.

But you can already play it in full HD on dolphin.

Also, Xenoblade is fantastic as a portable game. It suits it perfectly.

ZeroX03

Banned
This screen, more than any other, shows why this game needed a HD remaster and not a portable port. So much detail lost.

Why is this not on Wii U in HD?
Because they wanted to bring it to a handheld and make it portable. That's it. Please refrain from port begging. We've had enough of that leading up to release.​
Why should I buy/play this then?
Because it's one of the best games of the last generation. That you can now play on-the-go! Freaking Xenoblade in your pocket! Tell your friends! (and get hype for Xenoblade X!)​

ffs it's in the first post.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
But you can already play it in full HD on dolphin.

Also, Xenoblade is fantastic as a portable game. It suits it perfectly.

Yeah, I've put a couple hundred hours into it on Dolphin and wouldn't have even bought a HD version unless there were some enhancements and not just higher resolution.

I am surprised to see that a number of people like this on a portable though, gameplay-wise. It doesn't really strike me as something that is very playable in short bursts since progress takes time and it has so many long cutscenes (or strings of cutscenes in quick succession), maybe if the sidequests weren't so terrible those would be good for it.

ffs it's in the first post.

I'm so sorry my desperate plea for a non-portable version of Xenoblade completely derailed this thread for pages on-end.

But seriously. It's a comment on a screenshot. Let's not tell people they can't post their opinions?

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm so sorry my desperate plea for a non-portable version of Xenoblade completely derailed this thread for pages on-end.

But seriously. It's a comment on a screenshot. Let's not tell people they can't post their opinions?

After many fucking threads of Xenoblade discussion being derailed by people bitching for an HD port I'm sick of it. It doesn't have a place here. Your opinion doesn't add anything to the thread, it's a rabbit hole we've been down many times before that doesn't lead anywhere good. If you want to port beg go make a dedicated thread. Especially when you're telling people they shouldn't have gotten this port for one you favored instead. Asking for an HD port is one thing, asking for it at the expense of another one is a really dick move.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
After many fucking threads of Xenoblade discussion being derailed by people bitching for an HD port I'm sick of it. It doesn't have a place here. Your opinion doesn't add anything to the thread, it's a rabbit hole we've been down many times before that doesn't lead anywhere good. If you want to port beg go make a dedicated thread.

Sorry, I didn't realize we were only allowed to post opinions that you agreed with. I guess I just won't reply in here anymore to make sure I don't offend you again.

Top Bottom