• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

duckroll

john tv said:
"Monado" is a mistranslation FYI. Was kinda hoping they fixed that for the final game - did they not? It's supposed to be Monad.

No. In fact, Takahashi definitely doesn't care because they eventually released the Perfect Works-like book for Xenoblade and the cover says...

4048702009.jpg

Lol.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If we get to August/September and hear nothing, then its dead. NoA knows the die hard will just import it at that point, don't know how many copies they'd still sell at that point. I've got homebrew and gecko up and running now so NOA can die in a fire at this point.

There is still some small chance you would see XB and TLS in the states, between Jan of 2012 and whenever the Wii U launches since Nintendo will not have anything of note to release for 4-6 months. i think it bodes better for TLS for Guch's pedigree more than anything else.

at least you're getting a great one. The only Wii game I imported was Order up! and while decent, it wasn't worth the hassle for the homebrew channel (not that much of a hassle, tbh)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
M_Night said:
I can assume it won't look this good on my 720p TV?
Depends how the art looks scaled up. I had no problem at all with how Galaxy looked, but Monster Hunter was pretty rough.

Just make sure you're running component cables and 480p.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It looks like RPGs looked back when they were good... in terms of art style.

And that music... got damn.

I was already sold, but now I'm ultra mega sold.

Pyrokai

Shuusui said:
It literally breaks my heart that I cannot import the EU version. Fuck you, NOA.

Hey, we're all going to be importing and modding our Wiis to play this. Together, we can persevere, my friend. We will make it through this!

Soroc

That 20 minute video, hollllyyy fuuuuuuuucccckkkk

The scale of this game is just amazing! So many varied locales. I must import

I can't even finish the video. There is just way too much awesome in it. Makes the wait unbearable

Carlisle

truly101 said:
If we get to August/September and hear nothing, then its dead. NoA knows the die hard will just import it at that point, don't know how many copies they'd still sell at that point. I've got homebrew and gecko up and running now so NOA can die in a fire at this point.
I wish the threat of thousands of NA importers modding their Wiis to play this game would be enough to get them fired up for a localization... But if NOA doesn't give a fuck about selling us games, they probably don't give much of one about modifying their console anymore either. Especially not with Wii U around the corner.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Ugh... now I want to play this again. Too tempting to pop it in. But I don't want it to suck up another 150 hours of my life right now...

I really wish this was coming to NA, if only so I can buy a copy for every person I know who ever thought about buying a Wii. And then going around everywhere promoting it. It's harder to do these things when you have to say "Aaaand you have to import it and mod your Wii to play it!"

LevityNYC

Banned
Yup, time to mod the Wii. When is this game out in the UK?

EDIT:

Sept 2011..

Day 1 import.

Fuck you NOA.

I want this and The Last Story.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Phonomezer said:
I'm thinking about buying a Wii. What's the big deal about this game?
It's a really good RPG, or so I'm told. Something that's been in short supply on consoles this generation.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Phonomezer said:
I'm thinking about buying a Wii. What's the big deal about this game?

Do it. Huge world with beautiful visual design (up-close some areas are kind of iffy looking, but the overall feel of it is pretty amazing.) A ton of quests that actually flesh out the story/world/NPCs (some are a bit fetch-questy or grindy, but there is a lot of good stuff in there. I did all of them, which is why my playtime is 150 hours (I think... game counter stops at 99.) I actually liked all of the characters (extremely unusual for me in a JRPG. Usually I only really like two or three.) The characters felt like they had taken all of your typical JRPG characters and twisted them in some way to make them unusual. For example, 18 year old blond kid is the leader, but he is actually a scientist and the smartest character in the party. I wouldn't say the story is amazing, but the plot was enjoyable even though it gets a bit shonen manga at times. And of course, great soundtrack.

edit: Oh yeah, and the world is filled with a ton of NPCs that actually have personality and aren't just generic NPC #237. Definitely one of my favorite things in the game.

sublimit

Banned
With the shit NOA is pulling,i would think twice about getting a WiiU at an early point (if i was American.)Hopefully the WiiU will be region free because next time it may be us Europeans getting screwed.

I Push Fat Kids said:
what $ hit will i take by importing this?
Depends on popularity, usually.

Some import sites jack up the price if A) the game is a popular import and B) it seems unlikely that it will come out internationally.

Tales fans occasionally get reamed on Japanese imports.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
sublimit said:
With the shit NOA is pulling,i would think twice about getting a WiiU at an early point (if i was American.)Hopefully the WiiU will be region free because next time it may be us Europeans getting screwed.
AHAHAHAHAHA

Ceravic

I wouldn't want to pirate it because I want to reward Monolith for creating such a fine looking game. Now, modding my Wii and buying only from NoE on the other hand...

mclem

sublimit said:

Crazy theory:

The current NoE decision-makers happen to have been gamers in the early nineties. They sat through all the localisation shittiness back then, and now they're in a position of power, they're actually pushing against it.

The current NoA decision-makers never had that sort of upbringing. Whether they're just businessman or not gamers - or, alternatively, are gamers at heart but were in the US and didn't actually miss out on significant games back then.

Alternative Crazy Theory:

NCL are curious as to whether sales of core games in Europe are significantly negatively affected by having US releases significantly earlier, if at all - European core gamers being more likely to be familiar and comfortable with importing. Reversing the trend gives them interesting data to work from.

Antagon

From what I've heard this game isn't too story heavy, is it? Hope not, as some insanely convoluted story is one of the few things that could put me off of it. Everything what I've seen from it looks great.

kiryogi

Banned
Antagon said:
From what I've heard this game isn't too story heavy, is it? Hope not, as some insanely convoluted story is one of the few things that could put me off of it. Everything what I've seen from it looks great.

Uh. . . It's a Takahashi game. It's lighter than his other titles, but the story does eventually come round to the themes and concepts he's known for.

not to be a dick, but eu players should have (and actually have) "fuck you Square"-ed half of their lifetime (change Square, with multiple jrpg devs..)...
so while i share the pain, I really smile a bit on the inside :X
that being said, doubt they won't import to us sooner or later, personally i'd wait sep1 before ordering, you never know when an announcement might pop :)

FTH said:
Its a well received jRPG on the Wii.

This sounds as if there were so many "well received" jrpgs on other platforms :-( Xenoblade could easily turn out to be the best JRPG of this generation, looking at the current crop.

mclem said:
The current NoA decision-makers never had that sort of upbringing. Whether they're just businessman or not gamers - or, alternatively, are gamers at heart but were in the US and didn't actually miss out on significant games back then.
The US most certainly did miss out on a significant amount of localizations back then. RPGs especially, though yeah it wasn't as bad as Europe.

The late SNES era was particularly painful, as pre-FF7 there really wasn't much publisher interest in the RPG genre but it was absolutely exploding on SFC from 94-96. During the system lifespan we missed all the Dragon Quests, FFV, Tactics Ogre, Terranigma, Seiken Densetsu 3, Romancing SaGa 1-3, Front Mission, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, SMT1-2/if, Shiren, Tengai Makyo Zero, Mystic Ark, Ys IV/V, Albert Odyssey 1-2, FEDA and a ton of others.

In terms of late term localizations, I think the only thing that can be considered similarly disappointing today are all the great DS games being left in Japan recently (and a good amount of those from Nintendo themselves).

I Push Fat Kids said:
what $ hit will i take by importing this?
I'd guess about $70-$75. Depends on what exchange rate does and what price game.co.uk charge for the game. My estimate is assuming its £39.99* and including the £4.95 to get it shipped to America.

*-They must have noticed people frantically searching as there is now a page. No price yet as I'd guess wholesale costs are based off € price (so not set until nearer release) and the exchange rate can be anywhere between €1.1-€1.2 per £...but its probably either £34.99 or £39.99.

Has it really been a year since this game released in Japan? NOA, you've broken my heart again.

Like honestly, you know something's fucked up when I can rely on Namdai and Atlus to give me the games by a studio that Nintendo owns instead of Nintendo themselves.

Dr_Peace

Banned
Right.

I demand a Neogaf blood pact so that everyone actually lives up to their promise of importing the game.

We need to make it a success for NOE!!!

Show that stupid Reggie.

I'm from the UK so obviously need not take part :p . I've been waiting for this game since it's first Monado stealth unveil.

I believe game will get a good chunk of people importing it. The jealousy is going to wreak havoc

to put more salt in the wound, that Disaster game was very good!

Top Bottom